z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Adventures of Darren Cassidy - Chapter Eight, Part Four - The End of a Very Long Exposition

by BrumalHunter


The bell rang shrill and sharp – a blade of sound that cut through the air. Malcolm stood like a pompous knight before them, the unpleasant noise his weapon. Worst of all, he wasn’t even aware of his affront, for the friends’ thoughts had naturally not been shared in his presence. To him, simply standing in their midst must have seemed offensive enough. Sadly, it was.

‘Ah, the Mandibuzzes have arrived!’ Mr Van der Brunnen called from the inside. ‘Enter and have at my tender existence.’

Even the Venipede was caught off-guard by the comment and did not enter the class so as to ponder its meaning. Minerva, who was behind Malcolm, was the first to recover and entered the class.

‘Sir, were you referring to us?’ she asked tentatively.

The Torkoal finished his entry before looking up. He stared at her for a few seconds, unblinking, before answering, ‘Oh, sorry; wrong class.’ He added another entry to his ledger. He then swept his head across his desk, searching for something in an exaggerated fashion. Evidently, he must have found it, for his head jerked to a stop and swayed back to the spot. It turned out to be his die, which he rolled twice.

‘Ah, how interesting – a nine, which means Leslie, versus a two, meaning Darren.’

‘It’s fate,’ Minerva whispered to him. ‘You know, that you should go first.’

‘Do you think it’s fate that I win too?’

‘Don’t underestimate Leslie. We’ll have to see.’

‘Are you two done whispering conspicuously?’ Mr Van der Brunnen asked in his customary monotonous voice.

‘Yes, sir,’ the canines replied in unison.

‘Good. Leslie, your avatar will be…’ – several die rolls later – ‘Idina the Chimecho. Darren, yours will be…’ – several more – ‘Jackson the Cloyster.’

‘Which tier, sir?’ Leslie asked.

‘Four. No, three. Actually, keep it four. Yes, four. Chimecho’s statistics are sixty-five per cent Health, fifty per cent Attack, seventy per cent Defence, ninety-five per cent Special Attack, eighty per cent Special Defence, and sixty-five per cent speed, with an average of sixty-point-seven per cent.

‘Cloyster’s ideal base statistics are fifty per cent Health, ninety-five per cent Attack, one-hundred-and-eighty per cent Defence, eighty-five per cent Special Attack, forty-five per cent Special Defence, and seventy per cent Speed, with an average of seventy-five per cent. Training and attacks?’

‘Err, I don’t really know what to choose…’ Leslie confessed. ‘Extrasensory, Yawn, Growl, and… meh. It doesn’t matter, since I’ll only use those three. The training is twenty per cent to Defence, and ten to Special Attack.’

Darren considered his situation. ‘Shell Smash, Icicle Spear, Rock Blast, and Ice Shard. Twenty per cent to Health, and ten to Attack.’

‘Very well, you may begin.’

Both opponents hesitated before responding.

‘Idina uses Yawn!’ Leslie called.

‘Jackson uses Shell Smash,’ Darren replied, more composed than his avian friend.

‘Jackson has become drowsy,’ Mr Van der Brunnen declared, ‘much like our resident sleeper. In addition, his Defence and Special Defence have been lowered by one stage, but his Attack, Special Attack, and Speed have been increased by two levels. I hope you are aware of the implications, Darren. Please, continue.’

Darren nodded. He was very much aware of how easily he could lose.

‘Idina uses Extrasensory!’

‘Jackson uses Icicle Spear.’

‘All right, let me see… Cloyster goes first, which means…’ Mr Van der Brunnen closed his eyes and murmured to himself for nearly two minutes before opening them again and rolling his five times. ‘I’m sorry, Darren, but Jackson uses Icicle Spear only twice, thereby doing only sixty-two-point-one per cent damage. He would have needed four to knock Idina out in one shot.

‘Since he will now fall asleep due to Yawn, Idina can fire off another Extrasensory, which will be sufficient to knock him out. Thus, I see no point in continuing the scenario, as there is no chance of Jackson waking up and attacking directly after the turn he fell asleep.’

‘Isn’t there a slim chance that he might?’ Darren asked. He knew what the answer was already, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

‘Sadly, I already calculated the odds and applied them. Jackson will be knocked out. Congratulations, Leslie. You will get to participate in the final scenario.’

‘I told you,’ Darren said, glancing at Minerva. ‘It was a fluke. A stroke of luck.’

‘While I don’t want to diminish Leslie’s victory,’ the Vulpix replied, ‘you could have won him, had you gone with two stronger attacks from the beginning, and not wasted time with Shell Smash. He needs to set up with that for it to be extremely effective. If you rush it, his low Health and Special Attack, coupled with the lowered statistics owing to the status move, will result in him being taken out very quickly.’

‘Huh. I’ll keep that in mind, next time.’

Minerva nodded. ‘I’m glad you’re listening to my advice, for once. To be honest, I was expecting some protest or sarcastic retort.’

Darren rolled his eyes. ‘I can be rational, you know.’


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:40 am
Rydia wrote a review...



Hi! So I'm very guilty at the moment of not checking in with my SB crew often enough and asking how you're doing and I was hoping to change that this month but then I got behind on RevMo and realised I still owe a few SB posts. So I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone by writing you each a review but I also still owe you a proper catch-up at some point!

Specifics

1.

The bell rang shrill and sharp – a blade of sound that cut through the air. Malcolm stood like a pompous knight before them, the unpleasant noise his weapon.
As you've already described the sounds as a 'blade' I think you're repeating yourself with the line 'the unpleasant noise his weapon' and could easily drop it.

2. Interesting that the teacher has a dice and is using it to determine some kind of fight order? I'm a little confused but I expect it's something you've established earlier in the novel and it seems like a fun idea :)

3.
‘All right, let me see… Cloyster goes first, which means…’ Mr Van der Brunnen closed his eyes and murmured to himself for nearly two minutes before opening them again and rolling his die five times.


4.
‘Four. No, three. Actually, keep it four. Yes, four. Chimecho’s statistics are sixty-five per cent Health, fifty per cent Attack, seventy per cent Defence, ninety-five per cent Special Attack, eighty per cent Special Defence, and sixty-five per cent speed, with an average of sixty-point-seven per cent.


I noticed you did this in other parts as well but it should be 'percent' rather than per cent as that's a very old fashioned way of writing it. It used to be the technically correct way in England but now we have adopted the more American use of 'percent' so the other way of writing it is only seen in older text books.

Overall

This is fun! It's a little dialogue heavy and I wanted to know if the characters use any hand gestures when they're calling out their attacks or if one does and the other is more relaxed about it? I think that would tell us a lot about who they are as people and also give us something to visualise as you're a little low on description.

My only other concern was that Malcolm seems to disappear very quickly after the first mention of him at the start of the chapter and no dialogue is exchanged/ conflict introduced so it seems a bit of a waste to even mention him.

Those are the only things I picked up on and this had a nice easy to read flow and a good structure.

Best wishes,
Heather




BrumalHunter says...


Thanks for the review, Captain!

Wow, it's been a long time I since Iooked at anything TAoDC related. I basically stopped writing for it after I dropped out of LMS II.

1. Sure, I'll keep that in mind! Mostly, I just thought it would be weirder if I hadn't included it.
2. It's mostly a quirk of the teacher. I don't think it was shown previously, but the focus is more on what it says about the teacher than the practice itself.
3. "Die" is the singular form of "dice", so instead of rolling five dice, he rolled a single die five times.
4. Huh. My spell checker insists on "per cent", so that's what I use. However, considering that you work for a publishing agency, I'll take your word for it when you say "percent" is now more commonly used. Thanks for that!

The characters are Pokemon, so not all of them even have hands. Also, these battles are entirely hypothetical, since they're in a theory class. I apologise for the lack of description - this isn't a serious chapter. At this point, I was mostly stalling for time, but I sadly fell out just as I was about to start with the motoric moment.

Seeing as the characters are in class, I figured they'd be annoyed at seeing an irksome classmate, but they'd forget about him once they focus on their work. The pace at this stage is very slow, so giving a lot of details in each part would become tedious both to write and read. But yeah, there likely wasn't much purpose in mentioning him, to be honest.

Thanks for the feedback! Sorry for not writing anything recent that you could have reviewed instead.



Rydia says...


On point 3. I'm aware that die is the singular, which is why I suggested it - you missed the word 'die' out of the sentence. I usually use red to show words I have added and strike-through to show things I've changed or removed :)

4. I don't work for a publishing agency at the moment but yes I've done some work with them in the past and yep, it's more common to see percent these days because of the influence of America and because it's seen as being more universal.

And ah, the characters being Pokemon clears a lot of this up! But yeah, just adding descriptions of how they gesture/ move when they're talking would be good and yeah, I can understand if this was a chapter at the point you were getting tired! My NaNo chapters end up in a similar just getting the words out mode.

I can't complain on the not recent thing, I don't actually remember when I last put something up on YWS xD If you do write something more up to date though then feel free to enlist me to review! I need to earn my five cat stars somehow :)



BrumalHunter says...


3. Oh, I feel stupid now. I can't believe I missed that. XD

Come to think of it, leaving out things like gestures and resorting only to dialogue is a tendency I display when characters talk without interruption for a long-ish amount of time. So sure, more gestures shouldn't be too hard to include more often.

And I'll definitely take you up on that offer the next time I enter an LMS competition!



User avatar
207 Reviews


Points: 2577
Reviews: 207

Donate
Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:49 pm
Rin321 wrote a review...



Hello AstralHunter! CHRISSY321 here to review your chapter!

*Happy Review Day!* :elephant:

This was chapter here was written very well! I can tell that this whole book of chapters you are writing a very interesting! I will be honest and say that I have not read any precious ones, but I like how you can sort of figure out what is going on, just jumping into this chapter like I did!

There was a thing or two that I saw that needs a little fixing:

‘Ah, the Mandibuzzes have arrived!’ Mr Van der Brunnen called from the inside.


I think that whenever you say his name, you do in fact need to put a period after 'Mr'.

‘Cloyster’s ideal base statistics are fifty per cent Health, ninety-five per cent Attack, one-hundred-and-eighty per cent Defence, eighty-five per cent Special Attack, forty-five per cent Special Defence, and seventy per cent Speed, with an average of seventy-five per cent. Training and attacks?’


All through here you kept putting percent as two different words. I do not know if you meant to do this because it was maybe the way he was talking, or if it was accidental. If I were you, I would probably just make it the whole one word. This is up to you, but I just wanted to mention it! :)

‘Idina uses Extrasensory!’

‘Jackson uses Icicle Spear.’


Since you have been using the exclamation marks with the announcing attacks, I would make sure you would use them for all of them, I think it would flow better that way, and having the lack of it can really make a difference when you are reading!

Overall you did great, and there were only a few grammatical errors! I hope you continue to write! :D
~Chrissy <3




BrumalHunter says...


Salutations, Chrissy!

First off, I am glad you consider my chapters precious (I know you meant previous, but I like pulling legs - metaphorically, of course) and interesting. However, I am even happier that you can sort-of understand what's going on, since that means my content is relatively clear even without context.

Notes
1. I think the full stop (which you know as a period) is an optional addition. All the sources I use write "Mr" without it.
2. Once again, I used to write it as "percent", but when MS Word corrected me and said it was two words, I realised it must probably be one word in American English. But at least now I know it is an accepted spelling somewhere in the world.
3. That was deliberate. The character who said it with an exclamation mark is generally more animated than the character who used a normal full stop, who is generally calmer and more serious.

Thank you for the encouragement. I hope you had a fantastic Review Day!



User avatar
93 Reviews


Points: 844
Reviews: 93

Donate
Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:41 pm
klennon14 wrote a review...



Hi, here for a review!

Wow! There's a sort of valiant feel to the opening paragraph that I really like. Nice flow.

There's a particular diction that you write with in this chapter that cuts right through, it's great. I haven't read any of the other chapters, but this a very interesting story for sure.

Your balance between dialogue and descriptions is perfect. I really have no nitpicks- wow, that's something I say very seldom.

Awesome job!

Happy writing,

Kali L.




BrumalHunter says...


Thank you for your generous praise. ^_^




I have to ask. Does every question or statement regarding the quote generator end up in the quote generator?
— WeepingWisteria