The District Sleeps Alone Tonight (Music Prompt Tournament)

by Virgil

There’s no going back from where I am now. The black ink smeared over the paper. I’m not listening to anything he says, and all I say is, “Yes.” and the only gesture that comes to me is nodding my head up and down. I don’t need to hear this speech. I already know where this road is taking me. My eyes glaze over the asphalt on the ground and I wonder what’s beneath. I wonder what this is at the heart. It’s like a caramel apple, a trick to make you eat healthier, but it isn’t healthy. What’s at the core of the apple? I don’t quite know, but it’s the part that nobody eats.

I already know what I’ll see. “Where I am. This is where I want to be.” I say to the man. His cold eyes look over me once more before I am accepted. I don’t know if I want to be here. But I don’t know if I want to be anywhere. It’s too late anyway. The man hands me the badge and I put it on my chest. It says I won’t be here forever. It says I’ll have to go somewhere else after this.

I open the door to their room with the key I was given. “Who are you?” the doctor asks. “We’ve been told there were no visitors.”

“I guess I’m a surprise visitor.” I see them, they're unconscious. I realize why they had to leave me there. There in the sound of gunshots and yelling of commands. The ones I did not listen to. The ones that cost you the rest of your years. I’m the poison ivy that we learned in camp not to touch, the poison ivy we learned to identify, but you still touched me. I can see why you had to leave now. How you had to leave the battlefield, but you didn’t get to. How I had to carry your body out of it.

D.C. sleeps alone tonight. Safe and sound because of us. It cost lives. Lives like the vending machines we ate out of, and we’re coins that under the asphalt, under all of this ground, no one will care. Care that some were buried under the gritty soil. The only ones that understood us all were each other. No one else exactly knew what it was like out there.

The doctor’s footsteps clicked out of the room. And in the silence, I hope they would wake up. Minutes pass as I sit in the shiny chair beside what is likely to be your death bed. The doctor came back in eventually, to look at the monitor and go back out. To make sure they were still breathing the clean hospital air that reeked of death. There were ones that we couldn’t save. The ones that slipped through our hands and we couldn’t do anything about it. This was the place full of people that had passed. The people that doctors had to watch over. People like ice. Ice that melted in their hand and became water. The water that soaked my sleeves. I wasn’t a doctor for that reason. But it was still me who was the one watching you melt in my own hands. And I was melting with you. Our bond had gotten thinner and thinner out of the ice.

We might’ve not had a bond at all anymore while you were unconscious, because that meant you didn’t have to think of me. The lights from outside the window went out.

Their body might’ve been there, fighting, but they weren’t. And the doctor that kept coming in and out, checking on them, she didn’t seem there.

When I hear the long, continuous, beep of the monitor, I realize why I was the one worth leaving.

Lightsong wrote a review...

Alright, let's get this piece out of the Green Room, shall we? :D

There’s no going back from where I am now.

Nice opening line. It's not a strong hook, but it's a hook nonetheless, and I like the the simplicity of it.

I’m not listening to anything he says, and all I say is, “Yes.” and the only gesture that comes to me is nodding my head up and down.

Right, so there's a couple of issues here that I found. First, I don't think 'I say is' quite fits here. I think here's not really about telling us what he's doing, it's more to what he's done in regards of not listening to the other person. 'I've said' is more fitting, and there should be a comma instead of a period after 'Yes'.

“Where I am. This is where I want to be.” I say to the man.

I think the first sentence can be cut. The second one isn't much different than the first, it's just a more elaborate version of the first. Also, dialogue issue: a comma after 'be', instead of a period.

But I don’t know if I want to be anywhere.

It's more complete to have an 'else' after 'anywhere'.

I see them, they're unconscious.

Right, I'm not following up the plot here. Who're 'they'? The only person you've introduced to us is the doctor, and that's only one. I think you need to explain who're they first before making the narrator observes them. After that, you said 'they had to leave me'. Again, who're they? Are they the same people the narrator's observing, or different entirely? I think this piece needs more clarity that it's given right now.

Alright, now the story. Like I said, there should be more clarity to this piece. My first mistake is to assume the narrator is a police of some sort when s/he's given the badge, which for me, is more associated to polices rather than doctors, so it's a slight surprise to find out s/he's a doctor, after all.

It's pretty interesting too about the part where second person pronoun is used here; it makes me thinking of who's 'you', and what does that person meant to the narrator. From the context given, it seems to me like that person is a soldier of some sort because you mention about being in the battlefield and the narrator having to carry out that person's body out of it.

Anyway, if there's more clarity to this piece, the message would be stronger. As it is, this piece leaves much to be desired. I think a bit more elaboration here and there would make it more complete, and I think some backstory or even a brief flashback can really get us understand what's going on here. The ending seems out of the blue to me, so maybe you can fix that too.

And that is all. Keep up the good job! :D

Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:39 pm

This song is one of my favorites. I love how you connected the ideas from the song into your own writing, conveying how you interpreted the song. The figurative language in this piece was very strong. Nice job.

Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:39 pm

Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:39 pm

Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:23 am
infinitywriter wrote a review...

Wow. I haven't heard the song but I absolutely loved this. It was really cool how you gradually cleared up what was going on. At first I was kind of confused but as I kept reading my understanding was expanded. Usually, I would say that's a flaw in writing, but you did it in such a way that it added to the piece and solemnity of it all. There was always just enough information to make me want to keep reading. Great job!

"Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein