z

Young Writers Society


16+

Insult to Injury Part Four (Jigoku Shoujo The Saved and the Damned)

by Songmorning


Warning: This work has been rated 16+.

Samuel’s funeral lasted all morning, and Michelle cried through the whole thing until she was exhausted from weeping. She didn’t know how she would be able to endure this second blow. It all seemed too terrible to be real.

Sitting down at the kitchen table, Michelle thumbed listlessly through a magazine. When she had flipped through about half the magazine, her eyes fell on an article entitled: “The Hell Girl: A Mysterious Japanese Urban Legend”.

Vaguely interested, Michelle started to read. The article began, “The Hell Girl, known as ‘Jigoku Shoujo’ in Japan, has recently become a popular urban myth in that country, with many young people there claiming it to be real. Jigoku Shoujo is said to have a website (Jigoku Tsuushin) which only someone filled with hatred can access. If that person enters the name of the person they hate into the website, according to the legend, Jigoku Shoujo will ferry that person straight to Hell.”

The article went on to interview a freelance, Japanese reporter named Hajime who was investigating the myth of Jigoku Shoujo. Near the end of the article, Michelle read, “When asked whether or not he personally believed that Jigoku Shoujo was real, Hajime avoided the question, replying, ‘All I can say is, if you have someone you hate, don’t seek revenge. I can tell you now that it won’t do you any good.’”

As Michelle came to the end of the article and put the magazine down, the telephone rang. Automatically, she stood up and answered it.

It was her lawyer.

“What’s the matter?” she asked wearily, wondering how things could possibly get any worse.

“Well…” the lawyer began, “There’s a woman named Janet Coleman who wants to sue you and your husband. Do you know this woman?”

“I don’t recognize the name,” Michelle replied, frustration filling her. The last thing she wanted to deal with now was a lawsuit. “Why would she want to sue me?”

“From what I’m told,” the lawyer said, “It’s about a car accident she had with your son a few months ago. She’s suing for the trauma she suffered from the accident. I think you and your husband and I should meet privately with her and her lawyer tomorrow.”

Michelle could hardly comprehend what he was saying. “What…time?” she asked weakly. Did he really mean that the woman who had killed her son was now suing her for the incident? Was that even possible? Was it even legal?

“Will three o’clock work for you?” the lawyer asked.

“Yes…I’ll tell my husband,” Michelle said, and she hung up. So her name is Janet Coleman, she thought, remembering the hysterical woman at the scene of the accident, Janet Coleman is the one responsible for both my sons deaths. And now she wants to sue me for…for what? The so-called trauma she had to endure? What about the trauma I had to endure? Has she even thought about that at all? The more her thoughts continued, the more enraged they became until her face looked like that of a demon filled with hatred. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
298 Reviews


Points: 15144
Reviews: 298

Donate
Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:55 pm
View Likes
HolographicLadybug wrote a review...



Hello again Songmorning and happy holidays! I'm back for another review! :)

The stakes are risen! Again! (How much are you going to put these people through?) You've written this again very well. I, as always, am very excited to see what happens next. Thank you for that, by the way. ;)

'“When asked whether or not he personally believed that Jigoku Shoujo was real, Hajime avoided the question, replying, ‘All I can say is, if you have someone you hate, don’t seek revenge. I can tell you now that it won’t do you any good.’”'
This starts to make me suspicious... I'm starting to invent conspiracy theories. I think that the reporter knows something........ (Cue mysterious music)

'The article began, “The Hell Girl, known as ‘Jigoku Shoujo’ in Japan, has recently become a popular urban myth in that country, with many young people there claiming it to be real.'
At this point I start to think about this (Thanks for that. :) I like thinking about the stories I'm reading.) and come to the conclusion that things are going to get waaaaaaaayyyy worse than they already are.

'And now she wants to sue me for…for what? The so-called trauma she had to endure? What about the trauma I had to endure? Has she even thought about that at all?'
Yay! You're considering the woman from part one! So she's coming into play..... How interesting. It seems that there's a whole other side to this story: Janet's side.

'The more her thoughts continued, the more enraged they became until her face looked like that of a demon filled with hatred.'
I'm pretty sure what I think is going to happen is actually going to happen.
How's this for irony. This is the quote at the bottom of the page:
'People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.'
— Albus Dumbledore
Creepy, right?

I can't tell you how excited I am to read the rest of this! Well done again! :)
~Holographic Ladybug :D
(This brings me to my fourth star! Whoo!)




Songmorning says...


Hey! Congrats on the review star, cool about the Dumbledore quote, and we've got to talk about "The Series of Unfortunate Events" sometime! Also, thank you for these overwhelmingly positive reviews. I've been reading @tigeraye 's story, and was starting to get that feeling I sometimes get (as a young writer) that I could never measure up. (It's a fake feeling, of course, but a feeling all the same).



User avatar
325 Reviews


Points: 689
Reviews: 325

Donate
Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:02 am
tigeraye wrote a review...



hello, I'm back! You said Dirty Streets was your strongest work, right? haha, then I'll get to reading it after I finish this series. I guess we all have our own work we consider to be our favorite or best, think you can figure out which one mine is x_x This will be a quick review because I want to get to the other parts.

When I saw the description, my heart skipped a beat. You're trying to compete with Shakespeare and Ophelia when it comes to just how much you can torture characters. I can see just where this headed, and I'm hoping Michelle decides better. Janet seems like a terrible person, I mean, running over someone's kid and then suing them for distress is terrible, if not funny in a morbid, black comedy sort of way. But sending her to hell? I don't know about that. The last line does fall a little bit flat for me, like "Demon filled with hatred" just sounds kind of juvenile if you get it. The part about the send demons to hell thing is interesting, I've got to say that I don't watch much anime but you've intrigued me to check out this one in particular.

Like I said, short reviews for short parts! Moving on to five next ^^




Songmorning says...


I want to change that last line too. >_< Just haven't got around to it.

The situation, by the way, is quite real. I was actually inspired to write this story when I read an article about a very similar occurrence.



User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:31 pm
Lightsong wrote a review...



Hey, I'm here again! Let's get down to business. ;)

Suggestions;

Spoiler! :
Samuel’s funeral lasted all morning, and Michelle cried through the whole thing until she was exhausted from weeping.


Change "thing" with "process" for a better word choice.

Michelle thumbed listlessly through a magazine. When she had flipped through about half the magazine, her eyes fell on an article entitled: “The Hell Girl: A Mysterious Japanese Urban Legend”.


For title, it is better to italicize them rather than putting parentheses.

The article went on to interview a freelance, Japanese reporter named Hajime who was investigating the myth of Jigoku Shoujo.


Just an option: when describing about the reporter, you don't need to bring about the adjectives together with a comma. A simple "Japanese freelance reporter" is just fine.

“Well…” the lawyer began, “There’s a woman named Janet Coleman who wants to sue you and your husband.


Again, decapitalize the second part of your dialogue. There are other parts like this, so I suggest you to recheck all the chapters and fix them.

“It’s about a car accident she had with your son a few months ago.


This is a past tense sentence, so "it's" should be in past tense, which is "it was".

The more her thoughts continued, the more enraged they became until her face looked like that of a demon filled with hatred.


Okay, so you want to say her face turns scary. Try to show that. I have a hard time imagining a demon face since I've never seen one, so maybe it's better to show it like "her face darkened, the gleam in her eyes more to a demon's than human's" or something similar.


Plot and characters;

Hmm, the woman from before sues her. Well, this is unexpected when I read it for the first time but hey, this is needed to lead Michelle contact the Hell Girl. Thankfully you've made the reasons beyond the lawsuit logical and acceptable and not just for convenience. I am just as surprised as Michelle - I mean, would there be a case like this when the lawsuit is just ridiculous? Anyway, the plot is moving forward.

About the characters, I think you've portrayed Michelle's well with her thoughts and whatnot. I can totally feel what she's feeling, so kudos to you. My only complain is I want more body languages, more interaction to her surrounding that makes it more well-rounded, you know. It's also a way to show us the settings.

About the settings, my point in the previous chapter still stands. You said Michelle's enraged, so how about making her swipe everything on the table? It would make it more dramatic and show us what's happening to her with a vivid imagery. Well, that's all. Keep up the good job! :D




Songmorning says...


Lol, thanks for confirming this for me: I've been in doubt about the demon-face thing since I wrote it. XD "Is it cheesy, or does it work?" I'd ask myself. I was trying to get across a particular face characters make sometimes in "Jigoku Shoujo" in which all the lines of their face darken and their eyes widen terrifyingly. I like your suggestion, though I might do something slightly different--I'll see.

As with all of my Jigoku Shoujo stories, this one is based on a real situation someone was in. When I read about that situation, I was angry, and it inspired this story. Every Jigoku Shoujo story I make comes from a mix of testimonies, articles, and things that have happened to my friends--so they're going to be realistic situations, if nothing else. That's in the spirit of the original "Jigoku Shoujo". A situation that makes me upset, compassionate, and/or angry at injustice is my inspiration for each of these stories.



User avatar
177 Reviews


Points: 1093
Reviews: 177

Donate
Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:33 pm
Chaser wrote a review...



And so the plot thickens.

Beginning with characters, Michelle is a relatable protagonist, with her hatred completely justified to the point of the reader slightly wanting her to have revenge. You capture that perfectly in how she loses all energy after her son's death, as well as how angry she becomes when the lawyer calls.

As for the (mini)plot, it's fine. I wonder why Michelle was looking through the magazine, or if it even mattered at all, but that's probably not important. One part I think you might be able to improve is the reading of the article; you might want to add Michelle's reactions to the article itself.

The whole story flows impressively from sentence to sentence, and the passive tone amplifies the crossroads decision that comes forth in the plot. The mood in this chapter is as changing as Michelle's mood, and it all fits together well with the plot.

Overall, it's an exciting read. It sets up enough plot to carry the reader over into the next chapter, and still gives them something to enjoy on the way there. So, I'll be on my way to the next part if you don't mind. Cheers!


-Chaser




User avatar
299 Reviews


Points: 24185
Reviews: 299

Donate
Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:56 am
TheSilverFox wrote a review...



Oh my; this can only end badly for Michelle. O_O

Well done, Songmorning! This story is amazing! I'm stunned at the way that you composed this wonderful story, not to mention introduce Jigoku Shoujo. Your chorus of emotions is exceptionally well-conceived, particularly Michelle's anger during the end of the story. Her rage is justifiable (when considering my powerful morals and desire for justice, which many other readers may share); she has just lost both of her sons, one directly because of the accident, and the other indirectly, and now the very woman who ran down her child is now suing for "emotional trauma." I enjoy the way that you make the reader side with her through your rousing story, and make the reader wonder if she really will pursue her hatred into Jigoku Tsuushin. Better yet, I like how well you conveyed her various emotions and plights through your words, such as "her face looked like that of a demon filled with hatred," and "she was exhausted from weeping." Your vivid descriptions quite clearly displayed Michelle's horrible situation, and the insult to injury that she faces. Nice job!

To be honest, there isn't much that I didn't like about the work. It has a wonderful plot, you did a nice job of talking about Jigoku Shoujo, and the story moves smoothly along. I would like to notify you that there appears to be a gap in the flow between the first and second paragraphs. It seemed like the transition from Michelle's weeping at her son's funeral to her sitting down and reading the magazine was a bit too sudden, and somewhat felt like I was being jolted from one plot point into another. Perhaps, as a suggestion, you could provide more details about Michelle's surroundings, or add some kind of a longer pause to suggest a switch in the setting.

Nonetheless, I loved the story! Your character development was exceptional, I loved how you so easily manipulated and swayed the emotions of your audience, and captivated me with this beautiful composition. Well done! :D





I drink tea and forget the world's noises.
— Chinese saying