Amphitheater.

by ankush95

It’s like my mind has turned to an amphitheater, and my thoughts into gladiators. All of these gladiators get into a rumble, to win the rumble and come out at the top. Several wounds and scars on the winner’s body and barbaric atmosphere in the amphitheater, and as soon as the rumble is over, the amphitheater buries to emptiness, with blood stains all over.

And the winner turns into a poem.

copgraveyard wrote a review...

This was okay.

I don't like how straight forward this is. I enjoy when the poet gets right to the point, but this left no room for imagination. You dictated what we have to think about the poem and you aren't allowing any interpretation. That isn't a good thing. I do enjoy the metaphor/allusion to it being an amphitheater, but there are many other qualities about this poem that really dampens it.

thanks.

Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:34 am
WillowCutz wrote a review...

Yello? This is Willow speaking, here to review. Pardon me if I'm a little rusty, I haven't reviewed in a while, but I'll give it a go.

First off I didn't think I would like the paragraph style of poem (I'm very partial to stanzas) but it really worked for you. The speed and tempo felt perfect throughout the main part of the poem, but personally I woukd move that last line up into the main paragraph. That way you get the feeling that the peom is standing up in the ampitheater (that doesn't sound quite right to me, but I'll continue anyway) All on it's own like that, it separates the big emotional line from the tension you have built up in the last sentence. The spacing moves it away from the eye, basically creating a mini break in between the two sentences, which didn't quite feel right to me.

Second, word choice. There were a few words that just didn't seem right to me, I just want to point them out to you. That first sentence where you say "and my thoughts into gladiators" I kept thinking you had told me what was doing the transforming, and I know that that,s a mystery here with it,s all metaphorical magic. Maybe it,s just me, but you might take a look at it and see if there's any better phrasings. Then there's a lot of "rumble" being repeated, which was really distracting, kind of like a false rhyme it kept taking my back to the one before it and threw me off the beat of the poem. It's fine to use the word more than once, but maybe not so close together. Same with ampitheater, a little harder to come up with a synonym for, but give it a shot if you want. Also, "buries into emptiness?" I can't figure that one out. It's killing me. Lastly, you mention "the winner" very early on, before the fighting's even done. I feel like you're getting a head of yourself there. Maybe the fighter, the warrior, or the strongest, but it's too soon for winner.

Great job, though. Seriously. I love the idea of the ampitheater, it's such a powerful word for mind and the idea is gripping.

Keep it up,
Willow

LadySpark wrote a review...

So I've always loved the idea of writing about amphitheaters and gladiators in my poetry. I've even tried it several times and it's never really worked for me-- so I gave up on that a long time ago. I'm glad to see someone else appreciates my love of that theme, however!

I've just got a couple of nitpicky things.

gladiators get into a rumble, to win the rumble and come out at the top

You say rumble twice within like three words of each other. I would suggest changing the second one to 'war' 'battle' or something similar. It doesn't even make sense the second time-- so it needs changed anyway. Saying "come out on top" is a little repetitive because you just said that person had one. There's no need for it and just drags on your sentence for no reason.

the winner’s body and barbaric atmosphere in the amphitheater,

Since the battle is over, I'm not sure why you're saying it's barbaric now. And that's kind of a given, considering what your example is. If it wasn't barbaric, it wouldn't really be an ancient gladiatorial battle now, would it? Also, this sentence isn't grammatically correct, so you need to fix that.

and as soon as the rumble is over,

You said rumble again and again it doesn't make sense at all. Once again, battle is a better suited word for what you're trying to say.

the amphitheater buries to emptiness, with blood stains all over.

I'm not quite sure how you can bury something TO emptiness. I'm not even sure what you're trying to say or the image you're trying to put in our minds because it makes no sense whatsoever.

Like I said, I like the idea you have here. But in so many places, it doesn't make sense at all. You say your mind is an amphitheater and your thoughts gladiators, but you never expand on that thought. You kind of just leave it there and never continue it so it just gets lost in all the shuffle. You use the same words over and over again, in similar phrases and so many of these sentences could be taken out all together to make your poem more concise. It is such a short piece, with so many unfinished or confusing thoughts that I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. There's no metaphor to follow the poem through (you abandon your first one immediately after the first sentence) so there's absolutely no connection until the end, where I think you were trying to say that the winning thought gets turned into a poem-- however it doesn't come across that way because until then you've literally not mentioned your thoughts/mind AT all.

This poem could be really cool, and have a really interesting dynamic, but right now you're just stuck on confusing words and repetitive phrases.
-Spark

ankush95 says...

Thank you for appreciating the idea! :) I will surely work upon the errors, which you mentioned :)

PenguinAttack wrote a review...

Hi Ankush,

I see you have quite a few reviews on this work but I haven't read them, I wanted to share with you my own thoughts on your poem without diluting them. I hope it doesn't become too repetitive for you!

Firstly I want to say that I really like the theme of your poem. An ars poetica (or poem about writing poetry) is not an easy thing to attempt, and it is especially difficult to get right. Here you have a poem with such interesting elements it really shows how the individual experiences the same phenomena differently. I love your use of 'rumble' in particular, as it is a word often used in my family both to mean the small tumble fights I had with my siblings but also referencing the gladatorial bouts you may see on telly. "Let's get ready to ruuuumble!" Is a phrase I'm familiar with, perhaps you are as well. It ties in well with your use of the gladatorial arena as an extended metaphor for the creation of poetry.

That said, I think you're missing out on some excellent avenues for description and imagery. Some poems work really well as minimalist pieces with just the bare bones, but that isn't your poem. Your poem is blood and grit and spitting sand in the eyes of opponents. Your poem needs to show us the battle that keeps your words in check, the scars that map thenes to letters to the way your crush looked on Friday night. We want the experience, not just the synopsis of it. I really, really like the idea and I love your first and final lines.

In the end I think that you'd do very well to add some imagey to this, so your audience can fully experience the delight and disaster that writing poetry often is. If you do make any changes, please let met know, i'd love to read them.

Thanks for posting!
- Penguin.

ankush95 says...

Hey! Thanks a lot for your review, it really helped my confidence. I would surely send you the modified version of it. :)

Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:16 am
Harker wrote a review...

Hey there, Ankush! Welcome to Young Writers Society. I hope you enjoy it here--you're certainly an excellent writer. Let's get started with the review, though, shall we?

Content:

Amphitheater.

First, the title. I'd just like to quickly warn you that unless it's a conscious poetic choice, I'd refrain from putting a period (or any piece of punctuation) at the end of your title. It seems a bit unprofessional and distracting. Just a tip!

It’s like my mind has turned to an amphitheater, and my thoughts into gladiators.

I do like this first sentence and this idea, but I'd take out "like" and make the sentence into a metaphor (instead of a simile). If your entire piece is going to be metaphorical, then I'd just present it like this, strong and bold and clear. Presenting as a simile distances the story from your readers and your readers from the story because somewhere, in the depths of their mind, many people subconsciously dismiss this as "real". Am I ranting? Sorry.

All of these gladiators get into a rumble, to win the rumble and come out at the top.

At first, I was confused by this line. "Rumble" is not a term I was familiar with, and certainly not helpful to my comprehension of the sentence. I'd replace it with something more descriptive and sophisticated--even just "fight" would do it. Also--I'd like to see more of this. We hear a bit about it in the next sentence, but this sounds suspiciously like a summary to me. You know the old expression: show, don't tell. This is telling, and I really want to watch you /show/ me. The transition, if you need help with that, can personify your thoughts, having them roaring and chasing one another or beating each other to death. Anything. Just make us feel like part of the story.

Several wounds and scars on the winner’s body and barbaric atmosphere in the amphitheater, and as soon as the rumble is over, the amphitheater buries to emptiness, with blood stains all over.

This sentence is confusing timing-wise. You seem to jump to /after/ the battle, back into the battle, and them back after. See what I mean? Here's:

The green represents sentences that talk about /after/, and the red represents those that talk about /during/ the battle. Now, this sentence is not ideal for many reasons. To start with, it's pretty generic. The idea as a whole is kind of original, but this is filled with cliche and awkward language. I hate to say this so harshly, but it's true. Rather than go through the whole thing, which would be weird and time-consuming and unproductive, I'd just say learn from this. This is a prime example of where you're /summarizing/. We, as readers, want to feel involved in the story. You're not doing that here with a summary. If you're going so far as to personify your thoughts, then give us dialogue and action.

And the winner turns into a poem.

Now, as others have said, I don't think this represents how the process is for a lot of us. The hard part is not choosing between the ideas already in our minds, but figuring out how to make a poem out of the "winning" idea. I feel like the latter is less talked about and less-documented, and writing about that in the way you wrote here would be better. But if this is how writing is like for you, I won't argue. Just remember to keep your readers engaged and excited. Don't summarize and don't hide anything. We want to be part of the action.

Thanks for posting.

IronSpark

ankush95 says...

Thanks a lot for such a constructive and detailed feedback. I would surely make note of the things you mentioned and would try not to repeat these errors. Thank you! :)

Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:05 am

Hi there ankush95! Niteowl here to review this interesting poem!

It's a unique idea to be sure. I've read plenty of poems about the writing process, but none using a metaphor like this. I like the imagery of all the thoughts wrestling, competing to be the one idea worth writing about.

Several wounds and scars on the winner’s body

I'd replace "on" with a more colorful verb to make this a complete sentence. Maybe "decorate" or "maim" or something else to enhance the atmosphere you're going for.

and barbaric atmosphere in the amphitheater, and as soon as the rumble is over, the amphitheater buries to emptiness, with blood stains all over.

So I'm afraid you've lost me here in this metaphor. The amphitheater is the mind, the gladiators are thoughts...but what's the audience? Other less interesting thoughts? I also don't know if "rumble" is the best word for this kind of fight, especially repeated over and over. "Rumble" to me suggests childish rough-housing, not the life-or-death struggle faced by gladiators.

Also, I feel like the conclusion is too neat. So the narrator has all these thoughts racing through his head, all these ideas struggling to survive, and then...one wins and it's magically a beautiful poem just like that? Yeah, that doesn't sound like what happens when I write at all. Usually for me, writing a quality poem needs way more work than just picking the right idea. I have to think about the right images, metaphors, structure, etc.

I'd challenge you to put more of this into the poem itself. Maybe you look at the winning idea and let the scars heal into something beautiful, or maybe you reach right in and get into the guts of this thought.

Overall, I think this is interesting and you could do a lot with this. Welcome to YWS and keep writing! :)

ankush95 says...

Hello NiteOwl! Thanks for such a warm welcome and also for this valuable review. I like how people are so helpful and interested in art! In my next work, I will try to use better vocabulary skills. Thanks once again! :)

PickledChrissy wrote a review...

Heya, Chrissy here for a review!

Welcome to YWS! :D I hope you'll like it here, I know I have. I have never seen a work quite like this one, it was very new for me. I don't know how much help I can give, not being very good with poetry, but I'll do my best.

First, good job! The style is smooth and flows well. Second, the idea is a new one. I've never seen it before. Overall it is one of the best works I've seen in a while. A few problems though. You repeat rumble several times. Redundant! You need to read through it and replace all but one.

And the winner turns into a poem.

This part I was wondering if maybe a word like legend would fit it better? Or something like that. I thought it fit the time. Cause the gladiator games were the Romans, and that was a long time ago. I don't know, just a thought I had. Good ending, btw.

As a idea for a of extra length too this, maybe you should describe the arena a bit. Talk about the noise surrounding the players, the excitement in the air. The blood staining the sand. Little things like that. If you want to impress your readers don't give them the big picture. Show them little stuff. We understand them better.

For instance, you're describing a house burning down. Instead of talking about how the family is broken down because of loosing their home, you would talk about the little girl crying because she left her doll inside. Little things. Not the big.

Sorry for not giving you anymore. I was trying not to repeat anything. Let me know if you post anything else! I'm always happy to review! :D

KEEP WRITING! :D

ankush95 says...

Hey Chrissy, thank you for a warm welcome. It's very pleasing to read all the reviews here, as they motivate me a lot. I very well comprehend that I should avoid word redundancy and I even thought of removing the word, before posting it. When I re-read this composition of mine, it gave me some unique sense of peace, and I decided not to alter anything about it. A wrong approach for a writer probably, but felt right to my heart. But yes, surely I will work upon all the areas you mentioned! Thank you :)

You're welcome! And actually, I would be fine if I could feel that way about anything I wrote. I sometimes want to strangle my characters.

RagingLive wrote a review...

Hello, hello! And may I just say welcome, welcome to YWS!! I hope you love it here as much as I do!
First off, I found the concept behind you poem very truthful and heartfelt. I liked the idea, just not so much the formatting. I'm thinking that you maybe styled this to be free verse, but, like I said, it can be kind of heart to read in this format. If this is how you want it and your mind has been made up, fine. But I would suggest that you split it into phrases and stanzas. The way you have it now just looks like a random paragraph someone threw together and not very polished.

I loved the first sentence, it is so true and in a writer's mind, we can be at war with ourselves constantly. I feel as though you got the message across very well.
However, you confused me a bit. The first sentence rhymes but then the rest don't. There really isn't anything you can do for this if you like the way the first sentence is. Also, since it is free verse, not everything has to rhyme. This isn't really a nitpick, just something that I felt like you should know.

Sentence by sentence now:

It’s like my mind has turned to an amphitheater

I think you meant to say 'It's like my mind has turned into an amphitheater'

All of these gladiators get into a rumble, to win the rumble and come out at the top

The first half of this sentence sounds a little amateurish, which is fine, but not really polished. The fact that you used 'rumble' a few times doesn't add much variety and could result in someone losing a bit of interest.

Several wounds and scars on the winner’s body and barbaric atmosphere in the amphitheater,

Scars are past tense of a fight, a wound that has been healed over already. I think you are talking of present wounds, so consider tweaking to a more descriptive version of 'wounds' such as 'gashes.'
Either add 'are' before 'on the winner's body' or put 'and a barbaric atmosphere' to help the word flow. Also, consider breaking this sentence down into two or even three more as it seems like a mouthful of commas with no breaks.

the amphitheater buries to emptiness, with blood stains all over

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'buries to emptiness?' feel free to respond below and explain, but you might want to make it more clear in the poem itself.

And the winner turns into a poem.

My favorite part! I get the final sense of peace and accomplishment. Bravo, BRAVO!

My only other advice to you would be to spice up you vocabulary- don't use the same words all the time - and put a little more effort into formatting -you know that saying, 'you eat with your eyes, not just your stomach?' readers 'eat' with their eyes as well!
I think you are a very promising, talented writer, and I would love to see more of your work in the future. If I've overwhelmed you with such a long review, please, feel free to PM me or message me in the comments below.

Keep writing and keep on smiling! :)
~RagingLive

Harker says...

Hey, RagingLive. I'm not the author of this piece, but I just want to say how much I appreciate your reviews. A lot of times, when I'm reviewing something that's as short as this, I'm tempted to go for a lazier approach and just type a few comments about grammar and whatnot, using up about 1000 words.

This is not only longer, but it's also full of helpful tips and information on where to go from here. I hope the writer appreciates this as much as I do. You continue to be an inspiration. :D

IronSpark

RagingLive says...

Wow, thanks IronSpark! That means a lot to me, thanks for the encouragement!

Halfbloodcheetah wrote a review...

Hey ankush95! Welcome to the Young Writer Society!

I really like this dramatic interpretation of how a poem is made. How all the thoughts in your mind fight to be a part of a poem and only one comes out the winner and is turned into a poem. I thought it was very well done with good spelling and grammar.

Good Job!

Poetry lies its way to the truth.
— John Ciardi