2 Telly take away sound equals pleasure take away headache

by Lorelie

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

Previously on Share and Cherish:

I was free to choose between a wide range of free time activities … I abandoned myself to … dreams that set in the space surrounding me and whose main character was dressed just like me… I went down to Edgar and raised the subject… You need to stop worrying. Two minutes is nearly half nothing … We were walking past the front gardens … Do you know how the world is beyond that mountain? … humans who aren't like us … humans who … don’t respect nature … force it into their delusions… behind their fancy phones, … They’re a bunch of well-organised psychos!

I had no memory of a day I hadn’t slept on the upper room of the village chateau and gone downstairs the next day to speak to Edgar. I didn’t know why I did it either. I had never told others what I was to say to him. Good thing he always listened. Edgar had given me everything — education, family, leisure. Why he never asked for anything in return, that would remain a mystery.

I used to play outside with my friends, far away from the village. We played “tag” there, as “hyde-and-seek” was a tad difficult in the plains. By noon, before we went back home, I asked them about the things Edgar had told me about humans living beyond the mountains. They were dumbstruck. Was there anyone like us outside the village? one of them asked. Well, not like us, I told them. I was scaring them, so I pretty much gave up trying asking questions. Edgar was the only one who knew…

One day he brought me to the basement. There was a telly and two comfortable seats. We sat down and he turned the telly on. The telly showed a man lying on the ground, another one pointing him a gun.

“Please don’t kill me!”

He didn’t know why they wanted to kill him (we didn’t either!) The suspense was getting increasingly higher with each close-up of his so-called-friends’ faces — also with the recurring tune coming from a dissonant string orchestra.

“I will kill you…” was he saying at the terrified look of the man he was pointing the gun at, “unless you switch to Zotran mobile.” Everybody looks at the assassin, the suspense they were feeling moments before gives rise to an unusual interest showering their faces.

“Haven’t you heard about it? Well, allow me to explain.” And he turns into the thin window that would separate us from the likely assassin — yes, the fine screen. You can have twenty thousand minutes of free calls to all networks, as long as you — and that’s all you gotta do — pay a hundred bucks a month.”

The man in suffering pleads, “Is that all I gotta do?”

“Sounds like a lotta money for just a bunch of free calls!” said Edgar, trying to rescue me from those thoughts. Too late, though! I was glued, relentless, impassive, glassy eyes on the telly. “Oh, you’re too young for this stuff”, he finally said, almost forgetting me, then he switched off the telly.

During that month of May, Edgar kept bringing me to the basement to turn the telly on. He wanted me to see how humans were beyond the mountains. It was harder on the hotter days, when you could smell the apples from the veranda. Edgar said it gave me strength to stay in front of the telly.

It didn’t take me too long to figure out commercials were flooding the old telly. They could go from some short ten seconds to the mighty length of a film. Those could go for as long as seven hours, advertising included. And sometimes it was even harder to set apart the commercial ending from the aesthetic one, especially in the key points. And this was starting to get more frequent.

“Oh, I remember now!”

I had already seen that ending. In the original film, one of the so-called-friends killed this and every other man, except for the one lying on the ground. It was then that he walked up onto him and said, “I love you so much.” That was when he ran away, and this is how it ended.

Edgar was answering a question I didn’t get to ask, but I still couldn’t understand who was the meaner — the assassin or the people who created his story?

I asked for him to turn the telly back on. Knowing how sensitive I was to this kind of things, he gave in.

A young miss sitting down with a nice feller at a restaurant. At some point he’s about to propose to her. However, no sooner had he found words to indulge himself in, than the miss forcefully sneezed, drenching herself in muck. The people around filled themselves with disgust at the sheer sight of the young grimy miss, except for the broom-to-be — he was laughing out loud. She desperately looks for a handkerchief, but the poor thing is so filled with slime, she herself — if she would be able to watch herself unconscious from outside — would be impressed.

“Want an handkerchief?”

Humiliated, the miss accepts it.

He’s going to give her one. He stops.

“However, I might have a better solution, if you know what I mean.

Close up of winking eye.

“And what is it?” asks the young miss with sudden interest — interest which was shared equally, both in and out of the screen. The broom-to-be then takes something out of his pocket. As in a magic trick, a teal pill.

“This pill will keep you from sneezing hard.”

“And how’ that?”

I gotta explain, don’t I?” he replies with an affected dullness.

Wink, wink.

“The pill is teal, like the mucus out of your nose. The two attract each other mutually, like meh and ya.” So when you take it, the mucus will be seamlessly pulled inwards. And that will keep you from sneezing hard, cupcake! But, in the case you’ll have to do it, you’ll at least have just the right amount of time to squeeze your nose.

“Ooh, thank you, sweetheart!

A funereal silence permeated through the restaurant — everyone was waiting for the handsome wooer to say something to the young miss. He opened his mouth, but no word was coming out.

“Well, I know what you’re gonna ask. My answer is… Yes! Yes!! I love you, honey.”

At the wedding, there comes the time when they let the bride kiss the groom. It is in that moment when their mouths come closer that the woman is about to sneeze. However, though costly, she’s able to control herself. The groom smiles and turns back at the screen.

“Long story short, we’ve rid ourselves of the lousy muck astray! Take the teal pill, and keep the slimy snot away. For all day.

Outside, a slice of teal snot rose up from the stairs and walked away, all packed up. As it was disappearing beyond the horizon, a tiny print text was sliding below, and a sped-up voice could be heard over.

“The teal pill does not have the same effects in all people. It is not intended to diagnose, mitigate, treat, cure or avoid any disease or health condition. Contact a health care provider immediately if you suspect you have a medical problem or chain reaction.” Then the screen went black, as the voice slowed down, “Now available at a pharmacy near you.”

Edgar laughed scornfully and looked at me. At some point they would offer the spray to prevent hives. He then changed the channel. This was the way he had found for me not to become hooked — somehow a black mirror for a few seconds would bring me to that basement again.

Two characters were involved in some kind of raunchy, but serious, activity. In this kind of situation (speaking of commercials) you bump into everything around you. Although in this specific situation (speaking of the action) there is always something missing. Something you cannot finish without.

He takes a piece of foil from his pocket. “That’s not enough.” He unfolds the foil in two parts. “Not yet,” she protests. He unfolds the pair in four parts. “More, I want more!” she shouts. Confused, he — and confused we — unfolds the quartet in eight, then in sixteen parts, and waits for the verdict. “Yes!” she squeals with excitement. He throws himself in (to where?) — as a lewd voice is heard over a picture of the main foil.

“Now unfoldable, so the protection never stops being enough… with the same ol’ discretion.

Edgar promptly turns the telly off. “No!” I scream in agony.

“But I want to keep watching…”

He would leave me there, but there was a chance of me being not able to catch an apple in the back of the gardens. “Alright…” I finally said. I went in front of him, but as soon as we left the cave I turned around. “I already know what I want for my birthday.”

“What?! You don’t even have a phone.”

“Oh, not that!”

BluesClues wrote a review...

Okay.

So I went back and skimmed the first chapter after reading this one to see if that would help clarify things for me a little. Having done that, I think I have more to say on this chapter.

The first thing is: right now many parts of this read more like a summary of what's happening than like actual scenes. The commercials are done the best, in that you describe more of what's happening, what is said, what the people in the commercials are doing, etc - although that last one was incredibly confusing for me in the first paragraph, so I'd suggest being slightly more blunt about what's going on (even if you use euphemisms - just something less vague than "in this specific situation" when we don't even know what the situation is).

However, so far...the world that this main character is in is really, really vague. I don't feel grounded in it at all. All I've got is that little bit from the last chapter that tells us that "the humans over the mountains don't live in harmony with nature," suggesting that "we" do. However, the village, the plains, the gardens, even the chateau - none of it is described, none of it has any time spent on it, that could show us how "we" live in harmony with nature, how "we" are different from "the humans over the mountains." Yes, you show us these commercials that presumably relate to that outside world - but since we have no basis of comparison, the commercials don't give us as much information about that world vs this one as they might.

For example: Is this village an older-fashioned place with little technology and a great reverence for nature, while the "well-organised psychos" are just an ordinary real-life modern-day society with Smartphones and self-parking cars, etc, etc? Or is the village an ordinary real-life modern-day sort of place with a normal amount of technology, while "the humans over the mountains" are more of a futuristic pre-dystopian society where technology is literally everything in life and advertising not only takes place between movies and shows but actually becomes part of the movies and shows?

Without scenes taking place in this village - without seeing the main character play tag with her friends or grab an apple from the garden or what have you - there's no real basis for comparison between the two societies, especially since, in this chapter, the main character spends most of her time watching TV. Which is part of my confusion, anyway - I mean, these people supposedly don't have so much technology as the other society while they have far more reverence for nature, but they do have a television, so, I mean...just how much technology do they have? Is it an old-timey television set with rabbit-ears, black and white pictures, and lots of static? Is it a flat-screen? I mean...details, writer-person!

I don't know if you've figured any of this out yourself, but I suggest thinking about it and really figuring out your world. Because this sounds like it could be a really interesting story - especially if the "psychos" over the mountains are just like normal modern-day people and this is sort of a social commentary (just my opinion, obviously it doesn't have to be that way) - but right now I'm so confused that I'm not getting as much out of it as I think I could be.

Feel free to PM me with any questions!
BlueAfrica

Lorelie says...

I'm so sorry for your frustration reading this. As for your question, I believe it's somewhere in the middle...

Carlito wrote a review...

Hello again!

This review will likely be a little shorter than my previous two because I don't want to repeat anything I said in those :)

I still don't have a strong sense of who the characters are here and what's going on. The things I said in the last chapter about characters, the world, and the plot apply here as well.

I think you have a hard time focusing in with each of these chapters. What I said in prologue about thinking about what you want the main point of the chapter and focusing on that applies here as well.

Here's a technique I use that might help you focus each chapter.

Every character needs at least one goal. There must be something getting in the way of them achieving that goal (conflict). There must be stakes (or what happens if they don't get their goal).

Every chapter needs these things as well.

I'll illustrate this using Harry Potter (because Harry Potter is my favorite). :)

In terms of characters, I'll use Harry. (He has lots of goals, but I'll just show one).
One of Harry's goals: make friends and be accepted
Conflict: he doesn't know anyone and he's "the boy who lived"
Stakes: he'll have a pretty terrible year with no friends

In terms of chapters, I'll use the first one.
Goal: Vernon Dursley wants to maintain the status quo of his life
Conflict: there is buzz about his "weird nephew" Harry Potter
Stakes: if people find out he's related to Harry, his whole world will collapse

The character goals, conflicts, and stakes are where the main plot line and the sub-plot lines come in. The chapter goals, conflicts, and stakes are how the various character's goals/conflicts/stakes are executed.

For me it helps to write this all out for each of my characters and each of my chapters. This gives me focus and helps keep me on track because I know what the main idea of each chapter is and it gives the novel focus and each character a purpose.

Experiment for yourself and see if you find it helpful! :) And let me know if any of that^ was confusing or if you have any questions!!

Lorelie says...

I'm so sorry you had to bring up one of my favourite books to explain me the basics of writing. I barely forgot exactly what I'm writing, and this may not be the kind of approach I was hoping. I'll let you know if I'd like to indulge your novel background someday!

Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.