z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

I Mourn the Loss of Innocence

by Biluata


Moonlight kisses my face with a gentle caress,

as I dance around the moonlit room,

my feelings like ribbons spin around me,

surrounded me in cocoon,

of my anger, my sadness, my scars, and my past.

I fly like a bird, I'm light as the air,

my mind sings in freedom inspired triumph.

I'm free from the past, from the burden I carry.

I'm free to live as who I am and not who I pretend to be.

I can be myself, not the fake girl I can be.

Sunlight drips like golden dew across the canvas of my face,

the golden rays warming me in their soft embrace,

as dew covered grass tickles my feet, covering them,

in grass strands and dampening them with soil,

as the birds sing their early morning song.

I sing like the birds, my voice high and clear,

Songs full of goodness, and light, and good cheer.

I sing like the birds, trilling melody after melody.

I sing like the birds, like no one is listening,

like I am singing alone in an empty room.

Yet, even as day goes by, and night comes and goes,

and with life's bumps and bruises, true learning comes,

and as I grow wiser with each passing hour,

I still long to be the little girl who was scared,

of the dark and being alone.

The little girl who was so innocent,

uncorrected by the world

Pure and golden, that fairies still existed.

Pure and golden, that wishes still came true,

and the impossible was always possible in her eyes.

The girl of age three and four,

never wanted to leave her momma,

wanted to stay smothered in her mother's embrace forever,

in that warm, safe place,

that is found only in a mother's arms.

But even as I age, even now,

I can see everything has changed.

I strain, to learn about the world.

I strain, to experience those things of which I haven't experienced.

But I remember, when I was young, and mourn the loss of innocence. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 254
Reviews: 9

Donate
Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:21 am
sunflowerr wrote a review...



*warning for strong opinion and overall monotone, i'm sure others would like this poem*

i find this to be a very cliche poem-- i've seen quite a lot of 'loss of innocence' stories and it has become rather dull to read, over and over. it is quite interesting when taken at a new angle, but this seems to be one of a common type. i suggest you maybe spruce it up with a change in tones every now and then. its kind of like, i was reading this starting on a fresher, more positive outlook on how it would be, but i sorta hit my zero point towards the end and wasn't really capable of feeling any sort of empathy toward the subject of this piece. i've probably just read stuff like this one too many times.
i'm not at all saying that your work isn't good. there are probably a lot of people who thoroughly enjoyed it. but for me, not very much so. i hope this helped!




User avatar
425 Reviews


Points: 50
Reviews: 425

Donate
Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:52 pm
Vervain wrote a review...



Hello, darling!

First off, I really do like the idea behind this poem, but I think it could be fixed up with a bit of spit-and-polish as far as the editing goes. The idea isn't communicating very well due to a few factors, which I'll try to address in this review.

The first thing I really noticed was the redundancy in the images. There's a saying—don't tell me that the moonlight was shining; show me how it glints off the shards of broken glass—that I think could really apply here. In the first two lines, you repeat "moonlight" in two different forms, and that almost instantly breaks the spell of the poetry. It drags the reader out of the poem and makes them aware that they're reading words instead of breathing emotions; find a different word to use, and your image may grow ten times stronger.

In addition, you use commas at the end of every line. Let me ask: why? You don't need the punctuation, it isn't grammatical, it isn't even flavorful, so I can't brush off the fact that it's interrupting my nice quiet reading of this poem. At the end of every line, there's a comma screaming at me to "PAUSE". You don't need them at all.

My recommendation: Scrap all of the separating punctuation in this poem, then add in only that which you need or that which adds something to the text. You can have a poem without any separating punctuation at all, or one with grammatical punctuation, or one with only select punctuation, depending on what kind of feeling you're going for. Get rid of all the commas, then add in only the ones that the poem really needs.

Another point: Your rhyme. What is your rhyme scheme? I tried applying standard rhyme schemes, or even loose rhyme schemes, and none of them fit. Why do some of your lines rhyme and some don't? I would suggest looking at that and fixing it so that you have a set rhyme scheme of some sort, because you switch between every other line rhyming and every line rhyming, and then rhyming in sets of five, and it's all very confusing for a reader.

My big suggestion would be to read a lot more poetry—the surest way to write better is to read better—and to ask someone to help you proofread. Proofreaders can catch errors that you didn't even know you made, or they can point out when something sounds awkward or a comma is misplaced and it's distracting. Having someone else's input might help you catch the awkward, misplaced, or forced rhymes that I'm seeing throughout this, too.

Keep writing!




Biluata says...


Hey Ark! Thanks for the great review! As to your statement about the rhyme scheme, there isn't one, it was a free verse, if any of the lines rhymed, it wasn't on purpose whatsoever! ;)




Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow.
— Helen Keller