12+

Descendant of Nightmares

by MaleahFun

Prologue-

Minx ran. She ran faster than she has ever ran, not missing a step. She kept it consistent, gulping breaths without stopping. She didn’t understand, how could an innocent soul as herself be stuck in this situation, being chased by the offspring of death and unholiness itself. Her white dress was stained with dirt and mud, and the gold lines of the skirt had faded. She had to stop. Her long legs couldn’t handle anymore running. She didn’t have anywhere to hide, though. She couldn’t stop, but she had to. Minx stopped in her tracks and dropped on her hands and knees, gasping for breath. She didn’t care anymore. She looked behind her, and he was catching up to her. He was at least a head taller than her, he wore black, as his hair was, shaggy and unbrushed, he had a handsome face, but she wasn’t fooled by it. He was after her. He was the son of the creator of nightmares and fear, the one who kept children up at night, leaving them paranoid and afraid throughout the day. His name is Jinx. The one who gave them irrational fears of who knows what. And why was he after her? Why was she running so hard?

She was his opposite, and he hated that.

She was the daughter of the creator of dreams and happiness.

Minx let him pull her up by her waist. He threw her over his shoulder and disappeared with her into darkness, leaving black sand-like particles behind him. It’s how he got from place to place.

And that was it. Minx knew this was the end for her.

But she didn’t expect what happened next. 

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:01 am

First Impression: Well, this was quite a piece here, certainly manages to end on quite a cliffhanger there and it certainly does seem really interesting here and it definitely works pretty well as a prologue.

OKay...this is a very interesting start to a story here, not to mention this definitely appears to match that title quite well in terms of what's happening but it is still very mysterious in terms of what all of this could actually mean here. I do like the almost symbolic description there of the white dress being stained with mad as she mentions an innocent soul being chased by some form of manifestation of death or evil or something along those lines, it appears the figure chasing her is just meant to be the offspring of generally all things evil considering how they're introduced here. The last two questions though are very interesting, it almost seems like the writer is asking themselves that one there...and well...it certainly gets your attention as to why she would even ask herself those questions.

Well, that seems very opposite to nightmares indeed, oh wow, that is quite scary to see why she would be getting chased like that, especially as it appears that he does in fact hate her for the fact that the two of them are opposites. The plot certainly continues to thicken here...

Oh dear...it appears he managed to catch up to her there...doesn't look like this is going to end with anything good happening with the way that is structured right there...although the line at the end does give you a bit of pause there wondering if perhaps just maybe she would survive after all, although of course it could just mean her end was a lot crueller than she imagined it to be.

Overall: Overall, a pretty solid little prologue here, after seeing this I would certainly read on from here. Aaaand, that's about all I've gotta say here. :D

Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:22 pm
BellaRoma wrote a review...

Hello, MaleahFun - I'm BellaRoma here to review this intriguing piece... :)

The concept is brilliantly conceived - the two polar opposite characters. I wonder what will come of their interaction, especially after that ending. There is certainly scope in terms of possibilities.
Your ending was what I call a truly classic cliffhanger, and I'd love to read the next part(s) if you choose to post them.

I liked your style of writing very much. That wad probably what I enjoyed most about reading this. It's concise and straightforward in a way that improves the story and gives your writing character. I didn't feel like I had to reach too far to understand the events, but you still use a good degree of subtlety.

I have nothing but one nitpick for this entire work. That is "anymore running" should be "any more running". Any and more are separate in this case.

Until next time. PM me if you have any questions.
~ Bella ~

Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:06 am
kevin25a wrote a review...

I really liked the way you did this prologue. A perfect cliffhanger, not to detailed, and just enough to pull in a reader. I look forward to following your story, and would love a notification when you publish each chapter. Dreams seem to be a popular topic of stories lately. And this like most of the others I have reviewed sounds good. I can't say how I truly think without reading more of it. But I defiantly look forward to your story, and will be following it, and happy to review every chapter right away if I get a notification for it. :)

Chaser wrote a review...

Giving this a review...

Interesting beginning. The blunt sentences here have a way of making the reader want more. A good technique which I commend you for.

Simply giving raw feedback, Minx seems self-righteous, while, of course, Jinx remains mysterious. I trust that you meant to do that.

There isn't anything fundamentally wrong here, so I'll focus on fine details:

The first paragraph is a tad long. Space it out between events.

"She kept it consistent, gulping breaths without stopping." The word "consistent" seems a bit incongruous. After all, not many people care about how consistent their stride is while running in a state of panic.

"and the gold lines of her dress had faded." It might just be me, but faded seems to give off the wrong image. The lines would have faded beneath the mud. Really, a simple word or two fixes this.

I would've liked a sentence or two about Jinx's expression, so we can relate Minx's state of fear.

That's really all I have to say. Dream-stories are always full of potential, so I hope you put it to good use. Good luck.

-Chaser

MaleahFun says...

Let me know if you want more! I'd be glad to write more for you!

Congratulations!
— Magestorrrow