Just Because of Belief

by Tay01

Just Because of Belief

It's only what you think,

Not even what you see,

Some said things can shrink,

But brings no proof to me.

They say what they cannot show,

But that is quite mean,

They say what they do not know,

Tell me all the unseen

No proof,

Nothing to say,

That thing suddenly went 'POOF!'

Only because of the light of day.

Just because of belief,

People fight,

Only because of belief,

Now there is nothing at sight.

In my heart,

Now too warm to receive,

Anything that is bad as fart,

As I'm not so easily deceived.

Just because of belief

I sat in despair, 

Now because of belief,

There is nothing over there.

Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:57 pm
Legibletext wrote a review...

Hi, I'll get straight to the point.

I disagree with the comments below that state "mad" and "sad" are not effective words to describe feelings. You don't have to use fancy, pretty adjectives to deliver a point because it could distract the readers from getting the point. I mean think about it, not everyone reading this is going to have an A grade vocabulary, so imagine you used the words woebegone and indignant instead? Rather than taking on the point of your poem, many would be left wasting brain power wondering what the hell those words meant!

Sorry for sounding aggressive, I just hate it when people bag simple direct words and say that they are plain. Also, you are twelve years old. That's what your profile says anyway, so I think we should all be a little lenient here.

I commend you on writing this anyway because you raise some pretty difficult questions, the average twelve year old might not be able to wrap his/her head around. It's true that religion has I daresay polluted this world, and you state that simply (simple is not a bad thing) therefore getting to the point without having to use unnecessarily flowery language.

Good job :)

Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:24 am
LogicAndObjections wrote a review...

Heyheyhey, poems are awesome to review in my opinion ^___^

So, I love the over all concept of this poem, how belief is portrayed and all. It really latches on to you and we can all relate really. I once believed in fairies and trolls and all those magical things, it reminds me of childhood. Only then does it shift towards 'belief' as in religious belief and really we can all relate to that as well. -insert more of my blabbering here-

As Lydia stated, mad and sad aren't descriptive words I would use in a poem. Maybe use 'angered, frustrated, furious, despair, grief etc.' I think it'll brighten your poem up just a bit.

Nice little poem you made, keep writing!

Tay01 says...

oh alright thanks! ^__^

lydia9 wrote a review...

Hey Tay01,

I like the overall theme of the poem, and you do a good job of making it clear.

Typically, I recommend avoiding the word "just." It tends to be useless in that it doesn't add much to the sentence and is unnecessary.

The last few lines, "Now they are mad/Just because of belief/I am sad," could be improved. "Mad" and "sad" aren't very descriptive words.

In the fourth line, you say "brings" but it is unclear what is doing the brining (a.k.a. what the subject is). What is it that brings no proof to the speaker?

Also, I think the word "fart" doesn't really fit the tone of the poem.

Overall, good job!

-Lydia

Tay01 says...

fart cause rhymes with heart. Haha

Morrigan wrote a review...

Hi there, Tay01! I noticed that you've been giving a lot of helpful reviews lately, so I decided to drop in and give you one!

Here is my honest opinion. It's filled with good intentions.

Clearly, the theme of this poem is that religious people cause problems in the world because they take their beliefs too far. Good job on having a clear and direct theme.

However, this poem doesn't go anywhere, or say much more than what the theme is. You repeat yourself throughout the entire poem with different words. If I took out all unneeded lines, your poem would look like this:

They say what they do not know,
Just because of belief,
People fight,
I am sad.

That's what you're saying throughout the entire poem, just in different words.

How do we fix that? Try saying something new about it. Maybe instead of telling the reader that you are sad, describe a situation that fits the criteria of the theme (religion causing issues) and allow the sadness you feel about that situation seep into it.

Also, not all poems have to rhyme. I suggest you take rhyming out of this poem completely. Because farts aren't particularly bad, and while this is supposed to be a serious poem, I laughed much too hard at that line.

I hope that this review proves useful to you! Have a good day!

Tay01 says...

yeah. useful. 'smiles.'

Most people ignore most poetry because most poetry ignores most people.
— Adrian Mitchell