Dimensional Cracks ~ Part 1

by Sceptre

Author's Note:

This was a series of dreams that I had long ago, and wrote down in my notebook to save for a moment when I'd like to expand on it. This story starts out the series of dreams, starting from the beginning. It's not at all perfected, and it's more of just a fun topic to think about in my free time to improve my writing. Feel free to slaughter it with criticism or throw ideas to add in future parts. I understand that most of it is vague but it's all to be explained within the next few parts.

Part 1:

Darkness, that's all there was. Every last bit of dreadful thought and action seemed to resonate off of the malnourished trees, forming a useless canopy in the jungle. Through all of the death, deception, and darkness there was an opening to a blissful beach that appeared to caress every last definition of beauty itself. It wasn't at all beautiful, but it gave that appearance in this dimension. Rough sand, black as tar, could be seen for thousands of miles, bonding with a deep, blood red, sea. The beach complimented itself perfectly. There on the beach, alone on the black sand, lay a single soul. That was me.

I awoke on the beach, panting, then calming to a steady normal breath after looking around. I couldn't get up, I couldn't move the major muscles in my body. At first I panicked, speeding up my breathing pattern once more. Then something struck my mind, and it instantly became one of the most relaxing things I could imagine. Something of sexual proportions. Then I began to feel it slowly move around my body. I started to feel its life source persuading me. Talking me into staying. Convincing me to change into grains of black sand like them. I could feel them taking over my mind, and slowly dissolving the clothes from my body.

It stopped abruptly and a chill shot up my spine at the realization of where I was. I scrambled to my feet, regaining my consciousness, and the animated sand scurried off in a ripple after every step as I ran inland away from the beach. I stood there, shocked and trembling at the sight of the beach. My breaths were heavy and short. I looked down the mile long coast both ways, then down to the horizon, relishing at the astonishing sunset. I turned around in all directions like a dog chasing its tail. I stared at the sights, calmed my breathing pattern, and took a long, deep breath of the cold, sharp air. It felt like a million sharp knives shooting up my nostrils, but I loved it. 

I listened to the silence, paid attention to it, then as expected, cringed at the whispers of the sand creeping through my skull. I knew where I was, and there was no denying which dimensional hole I had slipped through. I was excited and terrified, wanting to scream with glee but at the same time lay down and cry. I'd landed in the middle of a time and place I thought was only a legend. I needed to get inland and find a town, the sunset was beautiful, but nightfall wasn't.

Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:14 pm

First Impression: Okayy...this was an interesting piece here, it has a slightly weird flow to it, but on the whole it was mostly just really mysterious here with the things that went on in there...and well, it certainly makes for a pretty darn good start to a story here.

Darkness, that's all there was. Every last bit of dreadful thought and action seemed to resonate off of the malnourished trees, forming a useless canopy in the jungle. Through all of the death, deception, and darkness there was an opening to a blissful beach that appeared to caress every last definition of beauty itself. It wasn't at all beautiful, but it gave that appearance in this dimension. Rough sand, black as tar, could be seen for thousands of miles, bonding with a deep, blood red, sea. The beach complimented itself perfectly. There on the beach, alone on the black sand, lay a single soul. That was me.

Okay...wow, that is a very much blackened and just generally dead sounding beach there, it just seems like the whole place is almost dying somehow with the imagery being put out there, and then the fact that this appears to be something that's considered beautiful in that dimension, it makes you wonder just how bad the dimension in general might be. At any rate, this is a really cool little description to start on here. Not to mention of course the fact that it appears we have just one person stranded on there telling us this story here.

Well...that has to be one of the weirder attacks that I've read about, it does sound relatively deadly though although the description makes it a little bit on the tougher side to try and place here. But on the whole it looks like someone or something is trying to take over the mind of this person which is certainly a pretty scary thing there...well, let's see where this is headed.

Okay...this took yet another crazy turn there...with this sudden and very scary sounding mental attack giving way to this person just relishing the sights of what's not exactly the most picturesque of beaches as they run around. Certainly not the sort of situation you expect but well I suppose you did mention this was a dream and this kind of sudden switching does make sense as far as that's concerned. Well let's see where this goes next I suppose.

Okay...well that was an interesting ending there...not sure what they mean by dimensional hole there but it certainly does sound pretty interesting, as does the fact that it appears this place becomes quite dangerous after nightfall, well, an interesting point to end things off here, and this does couple with that title to indicate there might be a pretty cool dimensional travelling sort of premise going on here.

Overall: Overall, this was a pretty neat start to a story here, certainly caught my attention and this is perhaps something that I would read too...certainly seems quite mysterious here.

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:35 pm
lydia9 wrote a review...

Hey, Sceptre! The premise grabbed me right away. I find dreams fascinating.

Some phrases seem like you are trying to word them elegantly, but they don't really make much sense. For example, "a blissful beach that appeared to caress every last definition of beauty itself" sounds good at first, but when I thought about it, I couldn't find much meaning behind it. How does the beach caress the definition of beauty?

As you said, it is quite vague, which might be enough to put off a reader at first. I would be careful. There is vague that is gripping and makes the reader curious, and there is vague that is simply frustrating. Perhaps you could be a bit clearer with some parts. I wasn't completely sure what was happening with the sand.

Overall, it was very well-written, with very vivid descriptions! Great job!

-Lydia

Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:20 am
InfiniteSnowfall wrote a review...

Hi Sceptre!
Welcome to YWS! If you have any questions, you can ask me. Or you could hop on over to the forums. :)
Now, onto the review. I'm really interested in this! It left me craving more. I want to know what's going on and what's going to happen. Needless to say, this start is perfect. So captivating, haha.

The only things I want to point out are a few grammar nitpicks.

Every last bit of dreadful thought and action seemed to resonate

I feel like this sounds a little off, but I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe if 'dreadful thought' and 'action' were plural? Or get rid of 'last bit of'.

I started to feel it's life source persuading me.

"it's" should be "its". It's is a contraction that means 'it is'. The correct usage in this sentence is 'its'.
You use 'its' for possession. For example: The dog had its own bed.
If you used "it's", then the sentence wouldn't make sense. It would be: The dog had it is own bed.
You also used "it's" another time in the second the last paragraph. Just wanted to point that out real quick. :)

So that's all I found as far as grammar goes. I have only one more thing I want to mention, and that's the protagonist's breathing. I feel like you described her breathing a little bit too much. Maybe instead of describing her breathing each time, you could describe how fast her heart was beating. Or how wide and alert her eyes might be.

Overall, I really liked this! I'm excited to see where this story goes.
I hope you enjoy your stay here at YWS and happy writing! :D

~Snow

Sceptre says...

Thanks for reading and I appreciate your feedback and the grammar corrections! I'll definitely remember that in the future. Thanks again!

No problem! :)

Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:55 am
Lefty wrote a review...

Hi, there! Lefty here to review!

So, you basically had me at the description. Dimensions and legends? Count me in!

You described everything very nicely. Despite the strange landscape, I was able to picture it crystal clear. Your sentences flow very nicely and some of them are written very creatively and beautifully. Your grammar and punctuation is basically flawless.

I was a little confused at the beginning because you didn't let us know that you had an authors note. Haha, so if you edit this you might want to put a "Authors Note:" before that first paragraph.

I'm curious to know more about the traveler, the legend and how normal dimension sliding is, in this world you've created.

Really the only thing I can think to mention about how to improve this is to show us not tell us. Some sentences were good, like when he had an icy chill shoot up his back, but when you say "at first I panicked" you could maybe explain more of what he felt when he panicked. Did his eyes shoot open wide? Did his throat tighten up, threatening to suffocate him? Although it was written in first person, it almost felt distant enough that it could have been in third person. You could also show more of what he's thinking, which would help us learn about the kind of person the main character is. Just something to maybe think about.

Anyway, good start, nice writing and interesting story. Keep up the good work and keep writing!

Welcome to the site by the way. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have. Have a nice day!

-Lefty

Sceptre says...

Thanks Lefty! I'll keep the showing not telling in mind for the future. Sorry about the author's note bit. Thanks again for the review, I appreciate it!

There are those who say that life is like a book, with chapters for each event in your life and a limited number of pages on which you can spend your time. But I prefer to think that a book is like a life, particularly a good one, which is well to worth staying up all night to finish.
— Lemony Snicket