Love at First Sight

by vox nihili

So, this was a 'personal narrative' for an English class, but my professor absolutely hated it.   It's been awhile since I wrote it, so I changed the last paragraph to reflect present circumstance, but other than that, it's just the same.  Thought I'd get the input of some other writers.  I didn't think it was that bad, but maybe I'm just biased since it's my work.  

.............

I was seated with my mom in the gray waiting-room style chairs facing in around a red-orange rug. We were in the training room. The trainer, Deb, was over at the crates, getting out the next dog. The two I had previously interacted with: a small red female, Stella, and a handsome blonde male, Duncan, were lying therein, asleep or feigning the like. Something clattered, and I realized Duncan was chewing on a chunk of ice in his water bowl. It was a hot day in late June, and the first of many I would spend in this room.

The latches on the red plastic crate snapped open, hinges creaking, and the wire mesh in the front banged loudly against its lid as it opened all the way.

“Ready?” Deb asked. I realized she was talking to the dog. “Mack. Hey, pup-pup-pup,” she called in a singsong voice as she hunched to peer in at him.

The blonde behemoth nestled in the crate cracked an eye; golden lashes parting to reveal a warm brown iris.

I would come to know these eyes, and see them filled with an indescribable love. I would also see them filled with mischief, pleading, and joy. All of these, I would see there, as I would look into what some would call the soul of another living creature, but mostly, I would see love.

“Hey, sleepyhead,” Deb continued, cajoling him. She moved quickly to the chair where she had been sitting, and grabbed a well-worn woven nylon leash. I heard the click and jingle of Mack’s collar as she clipped it on.

She took a couple steps back from his crate entrance, leash in hand, and said, businesslike, “Let’s go.”

Any reservations about leaving the crate put aside, Mack rose, stretching like one might expect of a large cat.

Then he shook. The rings and tags of his striped red collar jangled. His ears buffeted the air as he shook, making an odd noise from the movement.

A slow, sweeping tail wag began as he seemed to properly realize there were visitors in the room.

Deb said “Release,” as she unhooked the leash from his collar, letting him stroll over to where we sat.

“He’s just waking up from his nap, so he’s pretty sleepy.”

He visited my mom first; he came and leaned his head on her knee, his tail still fluttering in small, happy movements. She rubbed his head briefly, then smiled, saying, “You’re sweet, but you’re supposed to meet Kayley.”

I called out to him, “Hey, Mack,” my voice warm with the anticipation of getting to know him. He ambled over to me, now standing at my knees. He sniffed my hand quietly, tail wagging harder. It was fairly clear he wanted me to pet him; I touched the top of his head, my fingers finding his ear. The fur at the sides of his face, around and under his ears, was long and silky, luscious to the touch. He leaned in as I scratched his ears, a thoughtful look crossing his face, as if he appreciated that I knew where to scratch. Soon his eyes were closed entirely, and he leaned in against my knee, his chin resting on my leg. We sat thus for several minutes, completely content, a slow elation growing inside me with each passing moment.

We were connecting, in a way unlike the other dogs had with me. They had been nice, of course, well-mannered, but not like this. Deb interrupted our quiet bonding with a question.

“So, do you want to see if you can figure out what his favorite toy is, like we did with the rest of the pups?”

“I guess we can. But he doesn’t seem to want to play. He just wants love.” I said.

“Oh, he’ll wake up soon enough. He really is quite sleepy this afternoon,” she replied.

“Okay,” I assented. I rose, ready to go to the other side of the room where the toys were. He was at my side as I took a step, feeling the all-too-familiar contortions distorting my gait. I was bending floor-wards. The same strain overtook me as each time I tried to walk, my hand searching for my cane. I realized it had fallen under the chair I was sitting in some time ago. I couldn’t reach it, but that didn’t mean I needed it any less.

My fingers brushed something soft beside me, firm but supple. Mack was looking at me, I saw, as I looked down at him. He gazed up at me as if to say, “Take your time.”

My hand resting on his shoulders, I righted myself, and took another few steps, buoyed by a new sense of hope.   

This same hope would propel me through the next three years, with him at my side, my hero, my baby, my best friend.   We would traverse strange new places together; high school, Tourette's Camp, London and Paris on my senior year summer, then college in the fall.   College was a venture that didn't quite take, yet brought us to new heights. From there, we took radical leaps of faith in experimental neurosurgery, which would bring us to New York, and now, into the present, which holds more hope than ever.    All of this, of the opportunities and experiences I've had, I know, were made possible by his devoted support.   The only uncertainty of our relationship remains a silly rhetorical question: whether it's possible for one of us to love the other any more. 

Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:56 pm
anonymousx wrote a review...

Hey, Vox. I'm Nonny and I'm going to review this for you. At the beginning, I know you mentioned that your professor hated the peice. Did you ever get a chance to ask him what the issue with it was? I know that professors are very hard on peices of work, especially in college or late high school classes. It helps to ask them what the issue is and then see if you can go back and fix it.

Within the first paragraph: You mention at the very end that it was a hot day in late June. I think that this should be in the first few sentences because it's description doesn't fit well in the end.

For example: It was a hot day in late June and today was one of the first of many that I would spend in this room. My mom was seated beside me in the gray, waiting-room style chairs facing toward a red-orange, tattered (or slightly brand-new, ect. insert descriptive word about rug) rug.

You could also write something about the training room in the first few sentences by writing that your legs were sticking to the chairs. In a hot day, your skin (if you're wearing shorts) would stick to leather seats (if they are). I think it's all about description in this paragraph. You don't lack them but I think it could be combined and shortened.

With this sentence: “Ready?” Deb asked. I realized she was talking to the dog. “Mack. Hey, pup-pup-pup,” she called in a singsong voice as she hunched to peer in at him.

I think that it wasn't really implied that Deb was talking to you in the story. Maybe you could write something along the lines of,

"Ready?" Deb asked. I swung my head around to look at her when I realized she was talking to the dog.

I love this sentence. I like the description within it and think that it worked very well and described the dog nicely.

I think this should be written as:

Against any reservations he might have had about leaving the crate, Mack rose to his feet. His stretch reminded me of the one of a large cat.

We were connecting, in a way unlike the other dogs had with me.

Would be better written as:

We had a connection, in a way unlike any of the other dogs had with me.

The rest of the personal narrative is written well. I think that you did a great job at letting your professor know about an experience that you had. However, I think the reason your professor might not have enjoyed it is because a personal narrative, in my opinion, is about soemthing that happened to you. This is more of a story between you and your best friend, Mack. When I write personal narratives, I try to write something that is incredibly fascinating. I'm not saying this story isn't, because it's actually very touching. I love stories between animals and humans. I'm just saying that it may not have been the personal narrative your professor wanted. My suggestion is to go and ask him/her what she wanted from the story, as that is really the only true way to know for future reference in their class.

- Nonny

Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:50 pm
BookWolf wrote a review...

That was extremely sweet and awesome! :D You have great description and the words you use creates smooth pictures in my mind. Just a couple of things.

asleep or feigning the like.

I think you meant "asleep or feigning like it."

high school, Tourette's Camp, London and Paris

Like this "high school, Tourette's Camp, London, and Paris" (You just forgot the comma after London)

And now away from the corrections. I found this to be very touching piece and you described the interaction with Mack perfectly. About how easily human and dog bond. I really enjoyed it and I found my heart aching at the end. You are a great writer, you were really passionate in this story.

~BookWolf

Pigeon poop is the best way to solve problems.
— Pompadour