​Wedding Tears

by NoonBlueApple

It had been a month since William Adkins had been declared dead. It had been made official at the end of November, two years after he had been announced missing in action. She was dressed in white in the back of a black Camaro. She had a blue sapphire tied close to her pail neck with a black ribbon and a bow, borrowed from a Marabelle Hynes. The bow was a navy blue and dangled at the end of her black fishtail braid. Her dress was laced silk that wrapped around her shoulders and fell to her knees. On the left passengers seat was a pile of letters stacked and tidily secured with a piece of string. The letters were addressed to an Alyce Debrooks. She picked up the letters, feeling the rough paper between her palms. The driver glanced in the rear view mirror, only to see her pale green eyes staring down at the letters in her hand. The car pulled to a curb and the driver, a man dressed in uniform, came to her door. The door opened but she did not move until the man extended his hand and guided her out of the car. Holding her by the shoulder he walked her up the cobblestone path to the Victorian style house.

The house was dressed in emerald green with grey tiled roofs that swirled into sugar cones. He led her through the gate and to the covered porch where the front door lay ajar. Inside were familiar faces dressed in black and adorned with the look of sorrow. A woman clothed in a puffy one-sleeve dress hugged Alyce, her good friend Marabelle. After, the woman turned and ushered the people out of the room and to the back door leading to the courtyard. The man left her to join the others, leaving her in the wooden room with high furniture and tapestry walls. She was hesitant to follow knowing what she would find. But as the heel of her blue stiletto tapped the floor she made her way to the back with head held high.

Past the French doors she arrived to the end of the isle. Rows of wooden chairs sat 10 people on either side of the black carpet that contrasted against the bright green grass. The brilliant sun shown on her face, it was a bright day with clouds that made you of think of cotton candy. She walked toward the opposite end of the isle gripping the letters as she fought back the tears. At the other end were three men to the left dressed in navy uniform including the driver and to the right were three women, her friends. An ebony coffin lay between them. She kneeled in front of the coffin and the sermon began.

With the letters placed on the coffin she took up a glass of wine. It was a deep red valpolicella amarone exported directly from Italy. She inhaled the bitter scent of blackberry as she tipped the glass to her nose. It was then that the driver in uniform made his way over to her side. Putting a reassuring hand over her shoulder he stood with her. His eyes were a pale blue covered by his feathered brown hair. With a slight tilt of her feet she buried her head in his chest, nearly spilling the wine on the shoulder of his navy uniform. He set the glass aside and wrapped his arms around her slim shoulders. Mascara lines dripped down her cheeks. She pushed herself from his chest and let out a breath

“ James…promise me you will leave the military…”

“ Alyce you know that I can’t….”

“ Why not? You have Marabelle to look after…”

“ I am not leaving the military. ”

“ James! I already lost William I can’t afford to go to your funeral too….”

He held her tight around the shoulders

“ I am not leaving the military until I bring William back….”

“He’s not coming back…”

She pushed him away and strode to the front door leaving black tears behind.

Winter blew away the cotton candy clouds with a harsh wind. The green grass became drenched as rain fell from the dark sky and flooded the roads. Along the sidewalk splashed a wave of muddy water as a black Camaro passed. Windshield wipers flicked the droplets from the car to reveal green eyes. Alyce eased on the gas as she drew the car up the driveway. With an arm over head she braced the rain and locked the door behind her. The house was painted in shadows and obscure silhouettes. She stood with the door at her back and allowed the rain to drip from her face. Removing the bulky black trench coat she put some tea on the kettle and went upstairs. Warm water ran down her goose bump covered skin and down the drain. Much like how the rain outside rushed down the roads and into the gutters. She dried her hair and slipped on a purple pair of fuzzy pajamas. She heard the kettle scream in burning agony. Still fastening the buttons on her shirt she stepped down the stairs and moved the kettle over.

The forest green coffee cup brimmed with the golden green tea. Four sugars were carelessly dropped into the cup afterward. As she picked up the phone to dial for Chinese it beeped “One unheard voicemail delivered at 8:47 p.m. from James Hynes, to read press 1 to ignore press 2.” 8:47 was only three minutes before, she pressed 1 “ Hey, Alyce I was looking through the albums recently and found some pictures of you and Will and thought you should have them. If you want to come over now I have some Dutch Butter Cookies and tea to share. Feel free to cruise over in the next 10 minutes or call me back. Bye.” She turned her head to the window to see the rain had slowed to a drizzle. For a while she stood, watching the droplets glide down the windowpanes. The mention of Will’s name stirred memories of happier times. Memories that still held sensitive in her mind. Still she poured the tea into a metal thermos before heading up the stair to change. Within a few minutes she was out the door with her wet trench coat weighing on her shoulders. The car still warm gave a quick start and headed back down the road.

Arriving at the Victorian style house once more gave Alyce a painful sense of nostalgia. She hopped up the path and knocked on the door three times. James opened the door and led her inside. He looked down at her mess of wet hair and half soaked business suit. He took her high boots and coat over to the closet and gently set them aside. Alyce took the time to notice the house was darker than usual with the only light emitting from a few dim bar lights and misplaced electronics. James smiled and once again took her by the shoulder to the main room. Alyce opened her mouth to start conversation but quickly closed as they turned into the room. Two rows of candles held each by a familiar face greeted them. They all stood with the hopeful candlelight in their eyes and white uniforms. She was taken in shock and looked to James for answers.

He removed his hand from her back and drew her vision to the end of the make shift aisle. The one person not holding a candle with a black suit and a ring, Will. Alyce could not have run faster down the living room half slipping in her tights and tripping in her restricting business skirt. Finally seeing him after all that time and holding him were surreal.

After the ceremony Alyce stood in the back alone still absorbing the feeling. The thin onyx ring hung on her finger as if it belonged there and she had been missing it this whole time. The light rain now ran across her eyelids as she took a deep breath of the cool air. Will came from behind intertwining his fingers with hers. She turned and hugged him, resting her cheek on his breastbone. “Please don’t leave me again.” In that moment Alyce wanted nothing more then to have a happy end after all this time. “Don’t worry, I am here to stay.”

Hey there @NoonBlueApple! Alex here to review your story for the Wicked Squids!
I thought this was a very good, emotional story! I'm no expert in that field but I can tell that you formed the story very well.
I absolutely loved some of your description! My favourite line was:

The house was dressed in emerald green with grey tiled roofs that swirled into sugar cones.

I like how you "dressed" the house in green and the use of using something "sweet" (pun intended) really makes the sadness later on contrast with that. Later on you do use the phrase "Cotton candy clouds" which has less of an effect now because of the original phrase. Perhaps changing the cloud bit to something else?

Now for the nitpicks!
1)
She was dressed in white in the back of a black Camaro. She had a blue sapphire tied close to her pail neck with a black ribbon and a bow, borrowed from a Marabelle Hynes.

This line, which could be very nice, feels a bit too much like a list: It doesn't flow so well and sort of breaks the emotional link.
Try turning it into a better flowing sentence such as this:
She was dressed in white in the back of a black Camaro with a blue sapphire tied close to her pale neck. A black ribbon adorned her hair; a bow, borrowed from a Marabelle Hynes, hangs from her neck.

Although not perfect it still feels less like a long list.

2)
...side of the black carpet that contrasted against the bright green grass. The brilliant sun shown on her face, it was a bright day with clouds that made you of think of cotton candy.

You set this bit up really nicely but I still think there is more you could add. First point is the contrasting bit: I love using the word contrasting in my pieces and you do so nicely in this too. However to match the richly detailed description of the rest of the piece you could add something that further emphasizes the emotion.
Second point is just a simple spelling: shown ---> shone
(I also think the sentence should end here; short sentences are good too!)
Third point, is that the phrase "cotton candy" seems a little bit too cliché here and simple. You could try something like "Luxuriously, soft, white pillows."
It ends up sort of like this:
...side of the black carpet that harshly contrasted against the bright green grass. The brilliant sun shone on her face. It was a bright day with clouds that made you of think of soft, white pillows.

3)"isle" is "aisle". Spell check probably didn't pick that up cause isle is also a word.

4)
After the ceremony Alyce stood in the back alone still absorbing the feeling.

Another small spelling: Instead of "in the back" it is "at the back". I'm also thinking you could add a bit more here but this is also fine.

Overall, this was a very good piece! The majority of the piece is truly very beautiful to read. Some very rich description! Just certain bits lag a bit behind the rest of it and they need to be improved!
Goodbye! *drops like"
-Sushi

Thank you for the review! I am glad you liked it and I appreciate the feedback. I having been meaning to revisit this story to make some changes and when I do I will take your advice :) I just have not had the time lately...

Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:41 am
Redkitty274 says...

WHY!!!!!! YOU MADE ME CRY SOOOOOO MUCH, THIS WAS BEAUTIFUL!!

Thank you so much ! This is actually one of my happier stories, believe it or not. All the same, I am still glad it was emotional.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:41 am
Redkitty274 says...

Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:59 am
ajruby12 wrote a review...

Hey! ajruby here to review!

Man... Sometimes you have to have a bit of a tear-jerker of a story. And this was done beautifully! But I did find a good number of mistakes... I'll just list them.

"She had a blue sapphire tied close to her pail neck" (should be pale)

She was hesitant to follow knowing what she would find. (punctuation)

Past the French doors she arrived to the end of the isle (unclear)

The brilliant sun shown on her face, it was a bright day with clouds that made you of think of cotton candy. (comma splice or a run-on sentence)

At the other end were three men to the left dressed in navy uniform including the driver and to the right were three women, her friends. (unclear)

She pushed herself from his chest and let out a breath (should be a period at the end)

Alyce you know that I can’t… (punctuation)

With an arm over head she braced (unclear)

Still fastening the buttons on her shirt she stepped down the stairs (punctuation)

8:47 was only three minutes before, she pressed 1 (comma splice/run-on )

The car still warm gave a quick start (punctuation)

the living room half slipping in her tights (punctuation)

after all that time and holding him were surreal. (Should be was)

But despite those (and please don't have a heart attack. I was looking pretty hard!), this story was really beautiful! I would make it a little more clear on the dialogue exchanges who's talking when. Also, I would add some more detail on top of all that you all ready have. But this piece is beautiful and I hope to see more like it in the future!

-ajruby (The Silver Lady)

Thank you :)
Grammar is not at all my strong point so I actually appreciate the help. I will defiantly go and fix those when I have the time. Thank you again!

have u ever noticed how ugly rosy-lipped batfish r? and not like in the “aw ur so ugly ur cute” way that like opossums r — no they’re just hideously ugly beasts that should never have existed and r the epitome of evolution fails. the stupidity, blank look, head emptiness. they’re horrible n everyone who likes them r horrible too. they truly have the worst fan-base >:[
— Shady