z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The art of letting go

by giexx


A little while ago, I let go of a friend. Not because they had bad qualities, or because we didn't get along well. It was because every time we talked, I felt as if a dagger was being pushed more and more into my stomach. I felt like, because of them, I couldn't be truly happy.

When I only started feeling this way, I thought, I can't do this to them. They'll break. But now, I did. And surprisingly, they took it well. Of course, I knew the 'It's okay' wasn't real, and that it really really wasn't okay for them. But I also know, that time heals mostly everything. You get over it, even if you don't want to.

So I let go. It was strange at first, because my heart was still beating like I just ran up and down a hill ten times in row. Because I was terrified. Hell, I'm still terrified.

But I let go. I want to scream it, I want to show myself that I actually did it. That I'm brave enough. That I'm free.

Maybe in a day or week or month, I'll start regretting it. But then, I'll remind myself that it's not a problem anymore. That there's no use in dwelling.

I'm free. Free from thinking how to make it better, free of worrying whether if I mean it when I say that I love them.

I can move on, from now. Or maybe not, maybe I'll sit alone in the hallways of my school. But I won't think about it. Because you shouldn't force a friendship. It should come naturally. And if it doesn't?

Let them go.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
4099 Reviews


Points: 253788
Reviews: 4099

Donate
Sun May 16, 2021 3:14 pm
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!

First Impression: Well..this was quite a deep story despite being as short as it is...oh wow...this is proving to be very interesting indeed...definitely about a very relatable situation too and that just makes this that much more powerful...well let's see where its all headed down below.

Anyway let's get right to it,

A little while ago, I let go of a friend. Not because they had bad qualities, or because we didn't get along well. It was because every time we talked, I felt as if a dagger was being pushed more and more into my stomach. I felt like, because of them, I couldn't be truly happy.


Oh wow...well...talk about a dramatic start...definitely doesn't get more dramatic than that one...wow...very much a terrible situation to have a friend like that...and well...seems like moving away from them seems like its probably better....although if they don't have bad qualities either...well...this is promising to be verry interesting.

When I only started feeling this way, I thought, I can't do this to them. They'll break. But now, I did. And surprisingly, they took it well. Of course, I knew the 'It's okay' wasn't real, and that it really really wasn't okay for them. But I also know, that time heals mostly everything. You get over it, even if you don't want to.

Okay...well..that's a interesting bit of wisdom there at the end of that paragraph...and strangely quite true...also okay....okay...that seems like a pretty clean break there...just everyone departs without causing too much further hurt...now lets see why this whole situation even exits...I hope its elaborate on a bit further down in the story.

So I let go. It was strange at first, because my heart was still beating like I just ran up and down a hill ten times in row. Because I was terrified. Hell, I'm still terrified.


Hmmm...letting go definitely is quite terrifying...sometimes even when its something bad for you...letting go has a way of just being hard.

But I let go. I want to scream it, I want to show myself that I actually did it. That I'm brave enough. That I'm free.

Maybe in a day or week or month, I'll start regretting it. But then, I'll remind myself that it's not a problem anymore. That there's no use in dwelling.


Okay...well...being free of what though...that really is the important thing here...hmm...well the talks of regret here definitely don't seem to be very encouraging at all here...oh dear...what has just happened...now I'm very curious at this point.

I'm free. Free from thinking how to make it better, free of worrying whether if I mean it when I say that I love them.

I can move on, from now. Or maybe not, maybe I'll sit alone in the hallways of my school. But I won't think about it. Because you shouldn't force a friendship. It should come naturally. And if it doesn't?


Okay..well...that's a bit of sad ending there...I kind of figured out exactly why this whole letting go situation happened but then not quite...somehow it still seems a little unclear to me why they had to let go of their friend....oh well...maybe I just can't see it.

Let them go.

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

Overall: Overall...this was a pretty interesting read...and I do think it makes for a good story here. Anyway...that's about all I've gotta say for today. :D

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 432
Reviews: 20

Donate
Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:53 pm
View Likes
warionack25 wrote a review...



Alright, I think this is a pretty good story, but I think it's a little cliche. Phrases like "Dagger being driven into my stomach" and "I'm free" don't sit very well for me. Also there were a few grammatical errors I noticed, and I'll put them below. I would also consider this a poem rather than a short story, because rather than a narrative I think most of this is dedicated to your feelings towards something, more akin to poetry.
But either way, I think you did a good job, keep on writing!

A little while ago, I let go of a friend. Not because they had bad qualities, or because we didn't get along well, but because every time we talked I felt as if a dagger was being pushed more and more into my stomach. I felt like I couldn't be truly happy.

When I only started feeling this way, I thought, I can't do this to them, they'll break, but I did, and they took it well. I knew the 'It's okay' wasn't real, and that it really really wasn't okay for them, but I also know that time heals mostly everything, and you get over it even if you don't want to.

So I let go, and it was strange at first, because my heart was still beating like I just ran up and down a hill ten times in a row. I was terrified, hell, I'm still terrified.

But I let go. I want to scream it, I want to show myself that I actually did it, that I'm brave enough, that I'm free.

Maybe in a day, or a week, or a month, I'll start regretting it, but I'll remind myself that it's not a problem anymore, that there's no use in dwelling.

I'm free, free from thinking how to make it better, free of worrying if I meant it when I said that I loved them.

I can move on for now (Couldn't tell if you actually meant "from now"), or maybe not. Maybe I'll sit alone in the hallways of my school, but I won't think about it, because you shouldn't force a friendship. It should come naturally, and if it doesn't?

Let them go.




User avatar


Points: 320
Reviews: 3

Donate
Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:43 pm
BleedingRose wrote a review...



Losing friends is probably the hardest thing someone can do. I personal have been through this same situation, and this small little...almost essay like story really did cut a bit deep for me. Though, I am shocked that this isn't about having a fallen out. Personal issues are understandable; which is probably where the dagger into your stomach got in there, though I was a bit curious as to why this had happened. Was it because you both were going on different paths and you thought it was time to end the friendship to keep you both from falling hard? Or was it because you felt as if neither of you were truly trying in the friendship anymore? Or what if the friendship was starting to turn into a relationship? You probably have so many people in pure curiosity and wonder that is perfect as it is. Leaving the reader with multiple scenarios in their head running around and it could be anyone of them!




giexx says...


I understand where you're getting with this, and now I do see the inconvenience. However, I feel like maybe this work wasn't about how or why I did it. It was about what I felt afterwards, the actual situation in the past. I hope I make sense? Thanks for the review!



User avatar
83 Reviews


Points: 6057
Reviews: 83

Donate
Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:15 pm
EscaSkye wrote a review...



I like the message you're saying here. While it is sad to let some people go, there will be times when someone must make the decision whether or not to leave, especially if they feel they're being dragged down the more time passes. Whatever a person chooses though, should hopefully make them grow more, even if it means hurting in the process. That's how we'll get better, after all.

Now, as for things I think you could improve on, I think you can merge some sentences here and there. While I read it, it seemed quite choppy in some areas - it wasn't a deal breaker, but it certainly took some of the mood away. One such example would be:

But now, I did. And surprisingly, they took it well.

Here, I think you can replace the period for a comma. It's ultimately your choice though! There are a few others I think you can spot if you do a quick reread. :)

Apart from being choppy, I didn't see any typo, so that's good! This is a nicely written piece of work. It's concise, and the message gets across well. Good job! :D




giexx says...


Thank you so much! I see your point on the choppiness. Actually, I saw it while still writing, but didn't really think about it much. I'm going to try and be better in the future. Thanks again.




I could literally be Obama and you guys would never know.
— AilahEvelynMae