z

Young Writers Society



Death has arrived

by Tina579


Prologue

Death has arrived

    Life is full of surprises, we spend so much time planning for the present and the future in hopes to make a better and brighter outcome for ourselves. We live our lives through the lenses of ignorance day after day, never once thinking or believing that anything could go wrong. That everything in our world is perfect, flawless… huh… I have to say that we are definitely a species who have chosen to live blindly and every time we do, we suffer the consequences. I should know better than anyone, what it’s like to lose everything… to have your entire life flipped upside down without warning… to be striped of every ounce of hope, and at the same time trying to keep myself from falling off the edge. Truth is my mind, body, and soul cannot go any further… my time here has come to an end. The remembrance of me, my family and the once brightly lit home full of joy and laughter will be short lived in the hearts and minds of others and then soon everything will go back to normal. People will carry on with their lives, their jobs, etc. and the dead will be forgotten no one will blink an eye, or miss a beat before they remember the deceased.

     So why is it so hard, all I have to do is close my eyes… think of a happy place, then put the weapon to my head and simply let go of the trigger. I don’t understand… why am I still here? What am I waiting for? I took a deep breath slowly inhaling and exhaling, I began counting to ten when suddenly the ground beneath my feet started to quake and my beloved family portraits started falling from the walls. The ceiling above me began to quickly tremor almost on the verge of collapse. I turned around to get a good look of what was taking place outside, but before I was given the chance… death had finally took hold of me in the shape and form of massively huge waves of water crashing and tearing apart every house before it eventually, swept mine away… Do you think you could ever forgive me for killing you?

Fatima Salahuddin


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
4101 Reviews


Points: 254038
Reviews: 4101

Donate
Mon May 17, 2021 12:39 pm
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!!

First Impression: Well....this is quite an interesting little prologue that you've got here....that much is quite certain....there's definitely some very interesting thinks about throughout this here story...well...more details down below.

Anyway let's get right to it,

Life is full of surprises, we spend so much time planning for the present and the future in hopes to make a better and brighter outcome for ourselves. We live our lives through the lenses of ignorance day after day, never once thinking or believing that anything could go wrong. That everything in our world is perfect, flawless… huh… I have to say that we are definitely a species who have chosen to live blindly and every time we do, we suffer the consequences. I should know better than anyone, what it’s like to lose everything… to have your entire life flipped upside down without warning… to be striped of every ounce of hope, and at the same time trying to keep myself from falling off the edge. Truth is my mind, body, and soul cannot go any further… my time here has come to an end. The remembrance of me, my family and the once brightly lit home full of joy and laughter will be short lived in the hearts and minds of others and then soon everything will go back to normal. People will carry on with their lives, their jobs, etc. and the dead will be forgotten no one will blink an eye, or miss a beat before they remember the deceased.


Well...that's a very interesting paragraph there to use in that there prologue...I do really like the overall vibe and flair that it gives off though...its definitely giving us a sense of what kind of story this might be, with everything about life and death being mention...the potential of a lost family forgotten by the pov character here who is probably the protagonist and I have to say....this definitely seems interesting. This certainly is a great way to start off the prologue to a story...that much is certain. Especially that first line talking about humanity in general, some very interesting things mentioned there.

So why is it so hard, all I have to do is close my eyes… think of a happy place, then put the weapon to my head and simply let go of the trigger. I don’t understand… why am I still here? What am I waiting for? I took a deep breath slowly inhaling and exhaling, I began counting to ten when suddenly the ground beneath my feet started to quake and my beloved family portraits started falling from the walls. The ceiling above me began to quickly tremor almost on the verge of collapse. I turned around to get a good look of what was taking place outside, but before I was given the chance… death had finally took hold of me in the shape and form of massively huge waves of water crashing and tearing apart every house before it eventually, swept mine away… Do you think you could ever forgive me for killing you?


Okay...well that was a very interesting piece of information there...I mean him trying to end his own life there is severely dramatic all on its own...but then him not quite doing that, wondering why he didn't do that but then this massive waves of something sweeping everything away...it all conveys quite a story there. And well...that last line though...that's the most mysterious part of this...makes for a really cool ending there.

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

Overall: Overall this was an interesting little story here to read. Definitely does make for quite an awesome prologue here. Well anyway...that's about all I've gotta say for now. :D

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 520
Reviews: 6

Donate
Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:36 pm
misschavoshi says...



the first thing i can say about this text is that it is short but it really makes the reader feel the thing that the writer feels.i mean something like sympathy...
you can really feel desperate and sorrow and hopelessness in this text.
it is short but it is pure.it is actually pure sorrow, i think.



Random avatar
Tina579 says...


It is exactly what you said about being sorrowful and hopeless, however I am currently working on the continuation of the story so that's why its short. I would like to know from you "misschavoshi" if you like the short piece so far and what you assume to expect to read in the continuation of this story?



misschavoshi says...


i think it is enough.u know it is even good in this phase and it really transmits the message and feeling. but if u want to make it a longer story and go further i think it is good if it ends up in a survival.the person survives and some happenings changes his mind about life and makes him grateful for this goft of life



User avatar
212 Reviews


Points: 13620
Reviews: 212

Donate
Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:15 pm
birk wrote a review...



Hey Tina!

I'll start off with a nice, warm welcome to YWS! I hope you enjoy yourself here.

This is a fairly short piece and I'm just doing a quick comment on it. The thing is, I don't see how this is a prologue. In fact, I see a lot of that lately. At this points I'm reading prologue which are only prologues for the sake of including a prologue.

Very rarely do I feel the need for a prologue, and this doesn't read much like a prologue to me. This has good character insight, sure. There's nothing here that you couldn't have told me through a regular chapter though.

In my mind, a prologue could be viable if you're introducing elements of the story which wouldn't come naturally up in regular chapters. Perhaps it's a piece of history or something which your character wouldn't be around for and you couldn't address through them.

Aside from that, this is a well written work. You narrate what you write pretty well, have a good vocabulary and use a lot of nice imagery.

Lastly, a few things I took note of:

Edit

to be stripped of every ounce of hope,

Quick grammatical error.

Suggestion
and the dead will be forgotten. No one will blink an eye, or miss a beat before they remember the deceased.
I'd end the sentence there and start a new one. Added a period and capitalization.

Edit
death had finally taken hold of me in the shape and form

Small edit.

Alright, that's all I've got. I like your writing, so I'm hoping you stick around. ;)

Keep it up, Tina!



Cheers
Birkhoff



Random avatar
Tina579 says...


I appreciate and love everyone's comments and critiques. To be very honest I wasn't sure if I should continue on further with this character and create a story revolving around him and his life. However, I believe that I am up for the challenge... I've had a lot of people trying to encourage me to continue with this piece, but at the time I was feeling down there for I stopped writing about the character. But being here and reading all the positive feed back from you guys has really made my day, Thank you.


Random avatar
Tina579 says...


I am currently working on the continuation of this story, so for those of you who would love to read more on the story... it will be a wait because I am currently working on it and hopefully, making good progress.



User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 432
Reviews: 20

Donate
Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:39 pm
warionack25 wrote a review...



Ooooohhhhh, I must say I very much like where this is going! On one hand, I don't think the prologue is very good at making us care about this character, because we never really get a feel for him/her, we just see what they are currently thinking, but from another standpoint, it really helps to set up the character and his thoughts before his death. The only question is whether or not this character will matter in the long run.
Still, you're sentences flow well, and the first paragraph is very good as an almost poetic little piece about the inevitability of death.
You have a good thing going here, I'm excited to see how it turns out!




User avatar
415 Reviews


Points: 31520
Reviews: 415

Donate
Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:50 pm
keystrings wrote a review...



Hey there! You got a good, little prologue here that really drew my attention! This was written pretty harshly and rawly, but I liked it. I like how your sentences were nice and long, not short and choppy. You already have me feeling sympathetic to the main character, but I do hope you give a better explanation of what happened to their family. It was kind of confusing as the reader doesn't really know what terrible event had occurred. I didn't see too many errors, but you should put in more commas. In addition, instead of the "..." can you put in commas, colons, or semi-colons, please? Thank you. This was really good, and I hope you make a new chapter soon, but don't waste 500 points just for me! :) Thanks so much for writing this, and have a great day!
Love,
Perks





Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
— Abraham Lincoln