16+ Language Violence Mature Content

The Progeny: Chapter 3

by MissGangamash

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language, violence, and mature content.

Evie was sat upright. There were people around her. She couldn’t see them because of the silver net still over her but she could sense their presence, hear their hearts drumming. The road was bumpy, making her jump around on the bench in the back of the van and collapse to the side every so often, only to be shoved back upright.

“I think she’s awake,” said a man.

“Doesn’t matter. She won’t do anything,” replied another.

Her eyes wouldn’t open. Her face was burnt badly. So badly she couldn’t move it without ripping her skin away. She tried to move her hands from her lap. Her whole body shook when she did. She cried in the back of her throat and stopped as the silver handcuffs that bound her wrists together cut into her skin and burned.

She wanted to talk. She wanted to ask why they were doing this to her. But she was numb from pain. All she could do was sit tight and let them do whatever they planned to do with her.

The next time she awoke was due to a heavy bang. She flinched and cried as her skin tore from her neck. Hands shoved into her back and she fell to the floor of the van, the silver net casted over her.

“Get her up!” barked a man and she was hoisted to her feet and dragged out of the van.

Her legs scraped across the pathed ground as she was dragged away. She could hear several people’s footsteps trudging around her but all she could see was the blackness under her melted eyelids.

She fell unconscious.

When she woke again, the silver net was gone and her wrists were no longer bound. She was sat against a wall. She managed to open her eyes then cringed at the whiteness that invaded her vision and she lifted her hands to shield her face.

She was still shaking. Her skin still felt mangled and sore as if someone had just waffle ironed her face, and when she touched her cheek, she felt her blood oozing from a still open wound. She blinked hard and studied her hands. Peeling crimson circles looked like bracelets on her wrists.

It mustn’t have been long since they took away the silver. She could heal fast.

Her red hair was dank and clotted with blood. She hissed with pain as she tore strands of it from her neck and cheeks.

She tucked her knees up to her chest with an effort and took in her surroundings.

There were bars in front of her and to the sides; glass panelling stood beyond it as if the bars weren’t enough to contain her. Beyond the glass panels were more cells, in a row in front of her and continued alongside her.

The walls were a brilliant white, a white that stung her eyes.

Suddenly, a thought jumped into her head and she checked her pockets. But- of course -her phone was gone.

She turned to her direct left and gasped, curling into herself. She wasn’t alone.

A girl sat in the cell beside her, slumped against the back wall with thin, bony legs splayed out in front of her splatted with dried blood. Her head was back and her eyes were closed to the ceiling. Dried blood had collected on her face. In streams from her eyes, nose and mouth. Her long blonde hair was wet and matted with crimson.

She could have been pretty once, thought Evie when she noticed her floral summer dress and dainty sandals.

Summer dress? It was winter. How long had the girl been here?

“H-hello?” said Evie through a dry throat. Her brittle voice echoed around the walls, making the place sound eerily empty.

The girl didn’t move.

That’s when Evie noticed the tube in her ankle that fed out through the bars and joined up with… She gulped. She had seen the contraption before. In the dream. The tubing looked like it was clear once, but now it was yellowed with age and whatever liquid had been pumped through it. Her eyes flickered to the wall beyond the bars which separated the glass panelling of each cell and yes, she too had a machine just for her. Tubes were wrapped and tied at the side of it, waiting like a coiled snake.

Evie started to panic. What was happening? Where was she? Who were those men? What did they want with her?

A door opened. The rattling reverberated through the bars that trapped her.

Footsteps clicked along the tiled floor, getting closer.

Evie jumped to her feet and ran to the bars, wrapping her hands around them. She jumped away with an unholy screech as the metal burnt into her palms, making her skin crackle and hiss. Silver.

“I wouldn’t do that if I was you.”

She sucked in a startled gasp and looked up. A man stood before her, behind the glass.

She took a step back, feeling a wave of nausea wash over her. She recognised him. She recognised him from her dream.

He stood before her, his hands clasped behind his back. He smiled at her leisurely, the light from the tube lighting above them twinkling in the lens of his glasses. He only looked in his mid-thirties, dressed in a smart white shirt and black tie, his black hair ruffled in a tamed sort of way.

“Where am I?” she hissed, her singed hands stuck out in front of her, peeling. “Who are you? What am I doing here?”

He held up his hand, silencing her. She growled in the back of her throat.

“My name is Nico,” he said conversationally, as if he had done this many times before and it was simply a routine procedure. “I am a scientist. This is my basement. And you are here because I am working on a cure for vampirism.”

Evie sneered and watched as her palms began to heal. The open wounds knitted back together and left her pale skin shining like the tiles she was standing on. “There is no cure for vampirism. It’s not a disease.”

“Oh, I beg to differ.” There was a sparkle of humour in his grey eyes that Evie didn’t like. It made her want to rip his heart out and shove it down his throat. Cocky little shit. Instead, she just glared at him through the bars. He lifted his chin with a smug grin. “Vampirism is passed from person to person through blood, much like HIV, hepatitis B, C.”

Evie scoffed. “You are actually going to compare vampirism to aids? Aids doesn’t make you immortal, have an unnatural thirst for blood, make you allergic to the sun-”

“Diseases have symptoms. Those are merely symptoms.”

She huffed a laugh and turned, making her way back to the back of her cell. “You’re insane.”

“I see myself as more of a visionary.”

She settled herself on the floor and rested her back against the wall. “Then you have a serious case of delusions of grandeur.”

“Delusions?” Nico arched an eyebrow. “Oh, I think it’s fair to say they are not delusions. Right at this moment, I have thirty eight vampires imprisoned under my, well, mansion. Creatures that are the most feared in the world, trapped like ants under a magnifying glass.” He blinked with a smile. “Pretty impressive, don’t you think?”

Ants under a magnifying glass?

A memory sparked in Evie’s mind. A sliver of the cry for help from Caius. The unyielding light, like the sun bearing down on him. Her gut quivered as she peered up at the ceiling. Set within the centre tile was a large flat bulb. A UV bulb. Turned on for too long, and she’d burst into flames…much like an ant under a magnifying glass.

She knitted her fingers together on her lap and tucked her knees up, placing the thick soles of her boots firmly on the ground.

“You have my Maker,” she murmured into her chest through the lump in her throat.

“What was that?”

“I said-” She looked up. Her vision had gone blurry and was smudged with red. “-you have my Maker.”

Nico smiled. “I do, do I?”

“Yes.” She gritted her teeth as a tear escaped, hot and thick down her cheek.

“Hm.” He swayed to and fro on his heels. “Interesting. How would you know I have him?”

“I just know.”

His eyes narrowed curiously and a small smile curved on his lips. “Oh, the bond between Maker and Progeny. I’ve heard about that.”

“Let me see him.” She was literally vibrating with fury now as she squeezed her hands together, close to her chest.

“I’m afraid I’m the one who calls the shots around here, vampire.” He stretched his hand out and pulled on the clear handle on the glass panelling, opening a door. He stepped inside so he was in the narrow space between the glass and silver bars. “And I need you to do something for me.”

Evie hissed, extending her fangs. “I will do nothing for you.”

Nico let out an over exaggerated sigh. “We can do this the easy way or the hard way. I don’t mind either. But I’ve heard that the hard way can be quite painful for you.”

Evie’s gut twisted and she subconsciously looked up, remembering how Caius had been convulsing on the floor, at mercy to the light bearing down on him. She wanted to be defiant. She wanted to prove that he would not win but she knew what UV light did to her. She understood the agony.

In the morning after Caius had Turned her, he had warned her to stay away from the sun. She hadn’t understood why. As she had wandered around his dark house, running her fingers along the thick, crimson velvet that covered all the windows, she had wondered how a man could be so afraid of the light. It hadn’t made any sense. People were afraid of the dark. That did make sense. Things lurked in the dark. But the light…the light was full of hope and wonder and yet this man had refused to let it in.

So she had pulled back the curtain.

She had let out an ear-splitting scream and had dropped to the floor in a ball as the sun burned her face and hands. She had shook with agony and anger at her own disobedience. Caius must have heard her wail because the next moment, she had been cradled in his arms. He had rocked her softly and had pulled the hair from her face, soothing her in silence until she had healed.

“So, what will it be?” asked Nico after a short silence. When Evie shook herself from her reverie, she looked back to him and noticed he now had a syringe in his hand.

“What are you going to do to me?” she asked. Her eyes shifted to the girl in the cell beside her, and to the tube running from her ankle and her unconscious state.

“It’s a new batch. I just need to try it out.” He lifted the syringe up, inspecting the clear liquid inside. “How old are you, in vampire years?”

“What’s it to you?”

He flicked the syringe. “The longer you stay here, the more you will realise that when I ask you a question, you should answer it.”

“A hundred.”

“Oh.” His eyes widened with surprise and he looked to her. “Congrats.”

She sent him a sarcastic smile.

“Now, give me your wrist.”

Every fibre of her being was telling her to stay where she was. But she didn’t want to be burned again. The silver was bad enough and UV rays were ten times worse.

Slowly, she rose to her feet.

Nico smiled. “That’s it.”

She hugged her leather jacket around her petite frame and edged closer like she was entering a lion’s den. She stopped in front of the bars. If she outstretched her arm, she could reach him. She could tear his throat out on the spot.

Her fangs poked out at the thought and she lunged, sticking her hand through the bars to grab his collar. But he was fast and twisted her wrist until her bone snapped and jutted out of her skin. She cried out and her knees buckled from the pain. He jammed the syringe into her broken wrist and pressed down on the plunger.

Her head felt instantly foggy and her vision blurred, blackening around the edges like a painting thrown into a fire. Black, singed dots filled the whiteness of the room. He let go of her arm and she fell back, colliding with the hard, tile floor. She tried to speak but her jaw was juddering so much she couldn’t make out a word. The blackness was closing in on her. She wanted to claw it from her eyes as it suffocated her vision. But soon, the darkness took over and she was under.

_______________

Evie gasped herself awake, jolting upright. She cringed back at the pain that covered her whole body. Blinking until the invading light allowed her to see again, she inspected herself.

Her leather jacket was gone, torn to pieces on the floor. Tears covered her black vest underneath, exposing the skin on her chest and stomach which was dirty with dried blood. She gasped and pushed herself up onto her feet then gripped her wrist, remembering that it had been broken. It was fixed now. But as she took in her surroundings, horror yanked at her cold heart. She brought her shaking hands to her mouth as she began to sob.

Blood pooled around her, sticky and wet. On the floor and up the walls in curving arches and smudged handprints- she could feel it on her jeans. It had made the denim stiff and uncomfortable.

She pulled her hands away and looked down at her palms. They were red and crumbling with blood. It was wedged under her scuffed nails, turning them black. Streaks of crimson ran up her exposed arms too in the wake of healed wounds.

“What…happened?” she whispered to herself, running her dirty hands through her blood-sodden hair.

“You’re not the first, don’t worry.”

She jumped and spun round at the voice.

The girl in the cell beside her was slumped in the same position she was in before, but now her head had rolled to the side and her sunken, brown eyes were on Evie.

She must have only been in her early teens when she had Turned into a vampire. Now she looked weary and thin, like skin stretched over bone.

“W-what happened to me?” Evie asked, dropping to her knees on the floor.

“The injections…” she said in a horse, broken voice. She wheezed after every word as if speaking was a great effort for her. “They affect every vampire differently…depending on their age…and their Maker…and probably some other stuff too.”

Evie crossed her legs and leaned in closer to her, making sure to not touch the bars.

The girl let out a whistling wheeze and continued. “Sometimes…the serum sends a vampire into hibernation…sometimes it can send them crazy…make them black out and their rage take over…happens to many vampires anyway when starved from human blood for too long…” She coughed and spluttered horrifically and leaned forward, spitting blood. She licked her dried lips and dropped back against the wall. “Sometimes it’s like they’re being boiled…like being shoved into an oven…and…on occasion…sometimes they just…die.”

Evie felt numb from fear and tried to swallow the lump lodged in her throat. “So I…attacked myself?”

“Yeah…I saw the whole thing…nasty. Rammed yourself into the bars a couple of times too. I think you were trying to get to me.”

“…I’m sorry,” she replied in a small voice.

The girl laughed then wheezed some more. “Not…your fault.”

“How many times has he done this to you?”

Blood started to well under her eyes and dripped down her gaunt cheeks. “Seven…most only last ‘til four…” She squinted at Evie curiously. “You said…your Maker was here?”

Her gut twisted. “Yes. You heard?”

She nodded weakly. “Sometimes I just…pretend to be out…keep him away…doesn’t work most of the time…only when he has someone new to play with…”

“How long have you been here?”

“Months…maybe…hard to tell.”

Evie frowned sympathetically then she looked around. It wasn’t until then that she noticed people in the cells opposite. They looked small from where she sat and most were lay splayed out on the floor. The vampire directly opposite her looked albino, with chalky white skin and even whiter hair. His eyes were closed as he lay on the floor, his head propped up by the wall. Dried blood ran down his cheeks from old tears.

“Do you know many people have been in here? Vampires, I mean.” She turned back to the girl.

“They come and go…don’t catch names.”

The spark of hope that briefly lit up inside her was quickly blown out. She shuffled back and dropped her back against the wall. “Well, I’m Evie.”

The girl tried to smile. “Sophie.”

Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:22 am

Okay it looks like the new aim is one review a day, let's see if I can stick to that!

1. I find it odd that Evie is sat upright while trapped in the silver net so maybe describe that more. Is she crouched defensively and ready to pounce or run at the slightest chance? I'd probably be curled in a ball trying to make my body as small as possible to get away from the net - or at least to keep my uncovered limbs back as I assume it doesn't burn through clothes?

2.

The road was bumpy, making her jump around on the bench in the back of the van and collapse to the side every so often, only to be shoved back upright.
Shoved upright by who or what?

3.
The next time she awoke was due to a heavy bang. She flinched and cried as her skin tore from her neck. Hands shoved into her back and she fell to the floor of the van, the silver net casted cast over her.

4.
Her legs scraped across the pathed paved ground as she was dragged away. She could hear several people’s footsteps trudging around her but all she could see was the blackness under her melted eyelids.

5.
There were bars in front of her and to the sides; glass panelling stood beyond it as if the bars weren’t enough to contain her. Beyond the glass panels were more cells, in a row in front of her and they continued alongside her.

6. The girl's covered in blood and the last time Evie even sensed blood she could barely control herself so I can only presume the girl is a vampire and therefore doesn't set off Evie's bloodlust? I think we need that confirmation pretty early on so that we don't jump to the conclusion that you're contradicting yourself.

7.
He stood before her, his hands clasped behind his back. He smiled at her leisurely, the light from the tube lighting [The repetition of light and lighting feels redundant.] above them twinkling in the lens of his glasses. He only looked in his mid-thirties, dressed in a smart white shirt and black tie, his black hair ruffled in a tamed sort of way.

8.
Try to avoid repeating back here - maybe 'returning to the back of her cell' or simply 'making her way to the back of her cell'.

9. Interesting, it's fun to see a darker side of Nico than what I've been exposed to so far, though I'm trying to avoid being influenced by my knowledge of the later chapters. I think I like him better like him - he's a stronger adversary and has more bite than before, though I'm also interested to see what it is which alters that.

10.

Of the early chapters, this is my favourite so far because we start to see some firm conflict and Evie's emotions are more vivid here, though I'm still not quite getting the red hot panic/ anger etc. from her but perhaps hat's because she's a vampire and has inner strength at the moment. I remember Alexander talking a lot about a feeling of emptiness and not really caring but I don't get a huge sense of that from Evie either (and I know, not supposed to be thinking of the later chapters).

I think you could lose the flashback in this chapter as it takes away from the kind of grim atmosphere and doesn't build on Evie/ her relationship with Caius enough to warrant being in there. Anything like that which you can remove to tighten the pace of a chapter would be really good.

Speak again soon!

~Heather

Hello again!

1. The guy mentioning that he thinks she's awake indicates that she had not been awake previous - meaning she was unconscious. So if she wasn't awake before its most likely her captors had put her in that position and she is in too much pain to move out of it.

2. She can't see, all she knows it that she was shoved.

6. If you were able to come to the conclusion that she wasn't human when reading this doesn't it show that it doesn't need altering..? I'll have a look over it anyway.

9. This is Nico at his 'game face' stage, the later chapters show how much that has deteriorated. He's in control here.

The emptiness Alexander explained later on is exactly why Evie isn't showing signs of frantic panic/anger. She's a vampire, not a human, so she is reacting to all of this differently than a regular person would.

I like the flashback because it shows how closely Evie and Caius are connected. Everything relates back to him. Even in this horrible situation she is in, she is comforted by the memory of Caius holding her - it is the first time they had bonded since he Turned her.

I'm glad you are liking the chapters more and more as they go along :)

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:52 am
megsug wrote a review...

Hey~
This chapter is by far the best so far. Nico seems pretty legit. The mood is pretty grim. Seems like things have taken an interesting turn.

There are a few things for me.
That flashback is pretty unnecessary. It seems like it's just re-explaining what we already realize: sun hurts vampires. I also find it hard to believe that she's just going to zone out when she's in a cage and this man is threatening her. It was a useless interruption to the main arch.

The second thing is just a criticism because this chapter is so good.
That tension between should I be defiant or should I save myself from pain should be played up a little more. You mention it a few times, but each time you just let it lie. I think you can ramp it up a little more, expand on her thoughts, have her almost take action then stop, have her hesitate.

Actually, after a quick reread of that scene, I think the flashback actually interrupts the tension within Evie and distracts the reader from it.

Regardless, I think that scene could be a lot more visceral if the reader could see what's happening in Evie's mind, the back and forth, "I don't want to cooperate" but "I don't want to get hurt." Especially when she decides to lunge instead of just offer her wrist. We see it a little. I'd like a little more.

I don't have anything else for this chapter. It was really good. I'm excited to read the next one.
Onto the next,
Megs~

Thank you :) The story starts taking a drastic turn from now on.

The flashback was just because that was the last time Evie had ever experienced the burn of the sun and it amplified her terror of being burned. She knows the pain, she doesn't want to experience it again. Also, its a scene from the prequel that I am currently writing. It is the first time Caius was ever nice to her, so it's a pretty strong memory for her - especially after she is just denied seeing him.

I'll have a look over the chapter again to see what you mean about expanding her thoughts. She is constantly working against him and then giving in, I don't see how I could put more of that in without it being too much.

megsug says...

I don't think that what you're saying the reader gets from the flashback warrants having it where it does. There's not much gain for so much distraction there.

Her working against him and giving in is too fast. The number of times she does it doesn't necessarily matter. It's more about the build up between fighting and being conquered each time (or the most important time. Doing it each time will be a lot). There's obviously a lot of potential tension in that interaction, but that tension isn't utilized well here, in my opinion.

Deanie wrote a review...

Back again Miss Ganga!

This chapter... whoa. It was so perfect. The plot is thickening. I can only leave these two comments because I can't think of anything much that I would like to change with this chapter. I will tell you what I liked in more detail. I really think you've done a good job of stepping up the plot. I'm not sure where you're going with this one, but it is evident from the fact that she is imprisoned now and we know there is someone out there looking for a cure for vampirism, that you definitely have some sort of plan going for the plot. That aside, I also really like the descriptions that you've given to her captivity. We can see what it is like when there are UV lights, and we also know who she is with and what situation she has been forced into.

Nitpicks:

the light from the tube lighting above them twinkling in the lens of his glasses.

There's close repetition of the words 'light' and 'lighting' and I don't think that needs to be so. It is pretty noticeable so maybe think of rewording this sentence to mix things up a little bit?

“They come and go…don’t catch names.”

Okay... those three dots that you are constantly using when Sophie speaks? They're called the ellipsis. And the problem with your ellipses is that you don't have a space between them and the next word. Like I did with the word okay at the beginning of this paragraph, after the ellipsis you need that all important space because without it, you are technically joining those two words together. Which doesn't make any sense.

All of this aside, when I first heard about the whole UV light thing, I immediately wondered how she had been working! Then I remembered that she worked as a bouncer and that it was most likely going to be late at night when she worked. But maybe you should mention it in the previous chapters - that she only works in the evenings and during the night. She mentions wanting to work overtime until Caius gets back at some point, which gave me the impression she would be working later into the night, but that is in no way possible! So you just need to clarify that overtime would just be working later into the night...

That's all I can think of. This chapter was perfect <3 I am going to go and keep reading because I love the novel so far, and I'm only three chapters in :D

Deanie x

Hello again! Glad I have you intrigued!

I'll sort out those ellipsis :) Yeah, Evie works the late shifts so its not weird that she's not seen in the daytime - I'm pretty sure it was mentioned... I'll have a look over the other chapters.

I hope you continue reading! Would love to keep someone captivated till the end - because it gets juicier and juicier!

Sonder wrote a review...

Hey Gangamash! Happy review day! Also, sorry about weird glitchy blank thing below. I dunno what happened. XD

Wow. This chapter was the best by far. You hooked me at the end of the last chapter with her kidnapping, and now this! I'm just gonna gush praises.
I think Biscuits already mentioned most of the grammar errors, and I didn't catch any, so I won't bother with looking for them.

Characters: Wow. You have amazing character progression. I feel like Evie is a real person, you describe her so realistically. She has fears, but she can fight back if she needs to. I'm loving how you keep in mind her genuine concern for Caius, like a real person would for their friend/family. Which would Caius be? They are kinda like lovers, but kinda not... :P
And for some reason I adore Nico. His name, his attitude, his psychopathic views. Nothing like a maniac millionaire attempting to play scientist in his basement, right? By the way, making everything silver would sure cost a heck of a lot of cash. Yeesh. He should be using it for poverty or something, but no, he makes a sparkly, sunny basement. No. I can't wait to see what else he does. He seems to know what he's doing, and doesn't care who gets in the way. I feel a major character death looming!
I also like Sophie. Kind of disturbing because one of my good friends is Sophie, and blond...so... O.O But you did awesome describing her like a real hopeless prisoner. I felt for them, man. The feels.
For other odd reasons, I am really curious about the albino vampire. Because albinos are already extremely sensitive to the sunlight, does that mean that an albino vamp would be deathly allergic? Very interesting... I do hope you use him, and not just a minor cellmate mention.

Plot: Do you like Marvel, perchance? Because this reminds me a lot of the X-men universe, in which a crazy organization kidnaps mutants (people with powers) and attempts to "fix" them. This is a lot like Nico's point of view. I wonder what personal experiences with vampires he has had that makes him act like this, put so much effort into it. I also wonder who backs him up on it. I know the public view is pretty negative, despite people's efforts of harmony, so I'm curious about who works with him or sponsors his organization.
The plot is expanding very well. I love the world that you have created and the little details that you keep in mind. Every chapter leaves me wanting more, and each chapter goads me a little further.

Overall, this is an awesome start to what could be a great novel! Do keep me updated, I can't wait to find out what happens next!

Keep writing and being amazing. ;)

~Night

Thank you so much! I'm glad Evie is realistic to you, I was a little worried after someone said that she hated her and basically said she was just cold and bitchy. I didn't look too deeply into it though because the comment was only on the first chapter, she hadn't let me flesh Evie out enough for her to be understood. Yeah, her relationship with Caius is a little odd. They're lovers but also Maker and Progeny so the link between them is SUPER intense. I'm glad you like Nico too. I like it when you kind of like the bad guy :P Because he's not just bad. He's actually trying to make the world a better place. In his mind, he cannot picture a safe world where vampires exist so he is trying to cure them. Gotta admire him a bit really, even though he is basically a mass murderer...

Poor Sophie, I know :'( I think it's more horrible that she still looks like a child :( If you're having a lot of feels now, there's plenty more to come!

I tend to do that quite a lot with one-off characters, I flesh them out a bit too much and then grow kind of attached :P The albino might show up again later on... ;)

I do love Marvel! And I totally agree, this is a lot like x-men. I love the idea of a super-enhanced race just trying to live freely but instead being oppressed. If you compare the vamps in this to the mutants in x-men, they could both easily force humans to become their slaves and they could rule the world. But just because you have the power to do that, doesn't mean its necessary to do so. The vamps just want to be excepted, just like a lot of the mutants do.

Thank you again! I've actually written just over 2/3 of it already and I feel its the best novel I've written so far :D

BE READY FOR A WHOLE LOT OF FEELS. Seriously, you have no idea how many times I've had tears in my eyes writing this XD

Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:00 pm
ExOmelas wrote a review...

'She tried to move her hands which were on her lap.' - this doesn't quite flow right. I would suggest 'tried to move her hands from her lap'.

'She way sat against a wall.' - 'way' should be 'was'.

I normally keep compliments til the end but I was honestly blown away by your description of Evie waking up. I got butterflies in my stomach.

'How long had she been here?' - it's not clear which 'she' this is. Evie or the girl? Is she wondering 'has that girl been here since summer?' or 'have I been here all the way through spring?'. You don't have to use those words obviously. That was just showing what I mean.

Not that this is important but due to my recent Arctic Monkeys obsession I am currently picturing the man behind the glass as Alex Turner - who's only 28 but oh well.

'thirst for blood make you allergic' - there should be a comma between the these symptoms like there is between the first and second.

'Oh, the bond between Maker and progeny.' - this is your decision but I'd have thought that 'progeny' should have a capital too.

'So she pulled back the curtain.' - this whole next bit is a flashback so it should either have some ***'s or change it to 'she had pulled' and change all your sentences to that tense. I don't know the name for it but it's like the second layer of past tense. Do you know what I mean?

'On the floor and up the walls in curving arches and smudged handprints. She could feel it on her jeans' - this isn't grammatically a sentence. You could just link it to the previous sentence with a -

'She licked her dried lip' - presumably this should be 'lips'. ;)

'Do you know many people have been in here?' - there's something missing here. Maybe 'people who have been here'.

Wow. This is even better than the last one. I'm wondering if those nit-picks are enough so I don't have to try and find other criticism. Erm, setting good, plot good, characterisation good. I mean, where do you go from here... Oh maybe that. You could perhaps have a paragraph at the end that foreshadows some danger.

But literally everything else I can't criticise. It was brilliant.

I didn't get a notification when you reviewed! Sorry for the late reply!

Thank you so much again for pointing out my mistakes. I'm terrible at editing my own work and as you've probably already realised, I'm not too good with grammar :P

Haha, well I use celebrities as inspiration for the physicality of my characters, and in my head Nico is Ben Whishaw but if you see Alex Turner, that's fine XD

Thank you so much! I like some of the endings of chapters to not be so DUN DUN DUUUURRRN! because I think it just gets a bit exhausting. I think Evie stuck in a cell being pumped full of God knows what is foreshadowing enough danger :P The end was simple because it was just like Evie numbly accepting what was happening.

Thanks again! I hope I keep you interested and you keep reading because I really need you for nit-picks!

ExOmelas says...

Ok, so long as you understand my points about endings and keep them in mind. And nit-picks are actually really cheap ways to pick up characters in a review so feel free to make as many typos as you like ;)

The idea that a poem was a made thing stayed with me, and I decided then that I wanted to be an artist, not just a diarist. So I put myself through a kind of apprenticeship in writing poetry, and I understood even then that my practice as a poet was deeply related to my reading.
— Edward Hirsch