Wordsmithing: A Time to Cry

by dragonfphoenix

Dedicated to BlueAfrica, whose works sparked the internal debate on linguistic progress. 

Change. Improvement. Progress. The defining factor in any movement. Rights activists of all walks want equality. Revolutionaries in any country seek new leadership. Humanitarian aid organizations attempt to feed, shelter, and heal wherever they go. All of those are aimed at bringing about a change, and improving the lot of those they come in contact with. But not all change is as radical as those.

Linguistics, the study of language, is also about change, albeit a subtler kind. Word etymology and word application are the two main facets of linguistics: where words came from, and where they’re going. Our words today, though maybe similar to those used hundreds of years ago, have changed definition, spelling, and connotation over the decades. Not too long ago (relatively speaking), the “f” was used as the “s” in spelling, and “gentleman” meant “someone who bore a coat of arms.”

Such blatant changes in the language are easily identifiable, and readily available for the adventurous. But even subtler changes have occurred throughout the course of language. Technology has changed what we mean by certain words, not necessarily the words themselves. To have a conversation before the days of telephones meant to be in the same room, speaking face to face in a group of two or more individuals. Today, conversation can be carried out over the phone, through texting, Skype, or email. Writing someone a letter is the equivalent of an email (which begs how one “sends” an email, in the physical sense). Books have been reduced to the mere essence of the amount of words they contain, and are no longer bound to the physical world. Even the very nature of the word “write” has been changed by our technology. We sit down at a computer, open a word doc, and rattle away at the keys, and when we’re finished, we’ve “written” something!

Volumes can be, and have been, written about the different types of changes, and their benevolent or adverse effect on the language. It is not just a matter of preference, but a matter of necessity, for these changes to occur. And so long as there is change, there will be sides to the issue. Some will favor the old, others nurture the new, and the camps will divide. Some will be outright ambivalent, claiming not to know whether the advantages outweigh the losses.

The nature of change is very clear to me. Any change ought to have a purpose, and ought to improve our understanding, our communicative abilities, and our society. It ought to foster growth and further our eloquence without grating against the natural melodies our language has developed. Anything that develops our thought processes, the “why are we doing this?” train of thought, is a benefit to our language.

That is why I have always favored adopting the singular they as the accepted form of the neuter pronoun. It creates the ambiguity of gender while clearly communicating its message, refrains from insulting or demeaning those involved, and churns on the tracks of our language’s necessary improvement. There’s a beauty of both the familiar and the simplicity of such a solution. We’re not attuning our linguistic circuits to a new cacophony of sounds we call a word, but expanding upon an old word, giving it new meaning and new life. Not every change needs something “new” for it to be an ascension in progress.

But efficiency in spelling is a huge cause for concern for me. I’m not talking about netspeak, or chat speak, or however you want to refer to “txting.” There is a time and a place for it. And, in a sense, it has become a “literary dialect.” I dn’t need 2 tell u wut dis means cuz u get it, rght? Brb, jk, and all the lols. We get it. It’s a part of our “eDentity.”

I’m more worried about things like “alright.” Alright has never been all right. The enjambment of two words into one, and dropping the “extra L,” displays a lack of education and submission to the god of efficiency. The semantics of whether “all right” or “alright” more accurately reflect what the speaker is trying to communicate can be considered irrelevant since both sides and variations can be considered the “better” choice. Alright is understood to be synonymous with “okay,” and as it requires less letters in its spelling, it should be the preferred choice because it is more efficient and is simpler to learn, fostering the furtherance in education of struggling learners. Alright makes it less challenging to understand by ridding the “irregularities” of English spelling and reducing the level at which struggling learners throw up their hands in defeat. “All right” carries the weight of the speaker wanting to make sure that the “all” of the person they’re asking is “correct” (right), and as it is not participating in the wanton destruction and reduction of our vocabulary, should be the accepted and propagated choice. All right means that there is more of a communal, unified spirit of benevolence and charity towards fellow human beings.

Both sides are equally defendable. It is the prevalence of the “efficiency argument” for one side that makes me leery of it. Efficiency should never be the “only” or main reason humans do anything. If the driving cause of any technology or linguistic advancement is simply efficiency, then it should be halted immediately. Total pursuit of efficiency is akin to hunting for the Fountain of Youth or the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

Machines are designed to be efficient. Machines are efficient because they have no heart, no soul, no life. Efficiency is the enemy of creativity and imagination. The Arts are wholly and diametrically opposed to any pursuit of efficiency. In the eyes of efficiency, the very thought of such wistful daydreaming as the Arts is a waste of time, energy, resources, and humanity. Such sentiments hearken back to harder days, when, if it didn’t help one survive, it was of no value at all. Utilitarianism is the church of efficiency, and its crusade is to eradicate the dross of wastefulness.

That does not mean that we can hold efficiency in wanton disregard. Communication is the ultimate goal of language, and if efficiency did not refine our grammar and words into recognizable patterns, our sound would be a wasteland of meaningless verbiage. No amount of eloquence can promote the transference of knowledge and ideals if there is no pathway to begin with.

So let the change flow. Pave the pathway to progress with pages of prose and poetry that push the horizons of our language. But the purpose of that progress, the why, should never be efficiency. Whenever that dreaded E-word enters the debate for any change, red flags and warning flares ought to flurry in the skies of your minds. Dig in and push back, even if you don’t support the old system, or the new system, or any system. Advancement ought to be cautious and thoughtful. When humans are blinded by efficiency, imagination is in danger. Slow down, take a step back, and consider. But above all, do not be afraid to challenge.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:22 pm
r4p17 wrote a review...

Knight r4 here to review this work, dragon! I just couldn't resist reading this as soon as I saw it! I have been wondering when you were going to publish something. It has been such a long time! :P. Well at last you have written something. I can't wait to read it. I hope this helps you!

and improving the lot of those they come in contact with.
I understand what your point that you are trying to get across is, however oftentimes revolutionaries don't improve those that they come in contact with. You may want to consider clarifying that if you are going to keep it in there. ;) I just thought that I would bring that to your attention.

are the two main facets of linguistics: where words came from, and where they’re going.
If I am not mistaken, there should be a semicolon here in place of the colon, though to be honest I would make that into two separate sentences

Some will favor the old, others nurture the new, and the camps will divide.
I suggest that you invert the order of "favor" and "nurture". This is just my opinion, but to me it sounds a whole lot better when the order is inverted. :P

That is why I have always favored adopting the singular they as the accepted form of the neuter pronoun.
I beg to differ with you on this point, though I don't want to go into a big debate. ;). If you are talking about a person you can use he/she or he or she, depending on whether you are writing or talking. However it works perfectly fine when talking about an animal or item which is what it was designed for I think... ;)

At this point I have made it through the point stating that "alright" should be "all right". I have one thing to point out about this however. The thought struck me as I was reading that the word "alright" has already practically been made a word (or at least it has by spellcheck) so I think that at this point trying to reverse that would be practically impossible. ;). However I respect your opinion.

The Arts are wholly and diametrically opposed to any pursuit of efficiency.
I don't think that "Arts" should be capitalized.

Overall, as far as the essay goes, this work was pretty solid. Even if I do disagree with a few of the illustrations that you use, you still presented them logically for the most part. As a whole I agree with you. I thought that your method of weighing the cost and deciding whether you should favor change or not was good. The only thing I would add to it is to mention that efficiency can be a reason for changing something, though it shouldn't be the primary one. ;). Happy writing!!! :D

This review courtesy of

Quick summary response:
Revolutionaries don't always improve a society's lot, but that's often their presentation or original intention (whether or not you agree with the change they propose). Hence, Communist revolutionaries as one example.
He/she is an offense to the English language, and he or she lacks the poetic, artistic quality I seek in language. (I need to rewrite this, but just briefly reminding you it's there.)
Arts as a capitol is a concept or an institution, much like saying Academia, Science, or the Humanities. It's meant to be all inclusive of the artistic forms.
I will ponder your other suggestions. Thanks again!

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:28 pm

I feel so bad leaving a real review after having this dedicated to me, because I'm pretty sure I should just sit back and feel humbled about this. But, you know. It's in the green room, and linguistics is interesting. So...I am going to leave an actual review.

After graciously thanking you for dedicating something to me. Even though I know it's because I prefer "alright" over "all right." Which is quickly becoming alright. Or all right. No matter your preference, both terms are currently acceptable, and the first is on the fast track to becoming fine in formal papers and official documents.

I think it's interesting that you think changes in language should push for purpose, have real meaning. The reason I say this is interesting is because, for language to always change with purpose, we would have to be changing our language on purpose. But we don't. Language evolves naturally as we use it--languages are born, change, change some more, die, are revived, change again. If we were purposefully changing language, let's be honest: we would opt for efficiency. Most of what we do opts for efficiency. Agriculture--we can grow food where we are instead of trying to find wild fruits. Technology--not all of it was created exclusively for efficiency, but we're constantly trying to make it more energy efficient/time efficient/financially efficient, not to mention the fact that phones that can be used as several forms of technology (camera, video recorder, watch tv, read books, check email, oh, and it makes phone calls, too) are pretty much the epitome of efficiency in technology. Fast food--it's right in the name.

And text-speak pretty much shows that, when we change language at least semi-purposefully, bam: efficiency. Plus all the pushes in the field of linguistics for spelling changes to make the language more efficient. (Which I am against, but...mainly because I'm a good speller and I don't like change.)

But, as I said, language changes by virtue of the people speaking it, and not purposefully (most of the time). New phrases are coined and old phrases reinvigorated with new meaning. It's simply the nature of things. On that note, enjambment is a real linguistic thing that creates new words or new forms of old words. So is the borrowing or stealing of words from other languages, pejoration, amelioration, widening, narrowing, the combining of two words or sticking a word in the middle of a word or phrase (i.e. "a whole nother"), or shortening a word (i.e. "fanatic" to "fan"). Plus, in the days before widespread print, there were few, if any, fixed spellings because few things were ever printed and even fewer people were literate enough to read those things. So it's fairly new to want things to be spelled properly.

I did, however, love your mention of the subtle--very subtle--change of the word "write." Because I hadn't thought about that, but you're correct: rather than now exclusively meaning the physical act of putting a pen or pencil to paper and writing that way, its meaning has widened to include any form of putting words on something visible (be it a piece of paper or a computer screen or what have you).

I don't know if you wanted to do anything serious with this, but as an essay: it loses focus about halfway through. The thesis is never quite clear to begin with, but. Like, okay. So, at first, with the way the end of the first paragraph talks about "not all change is as radical as this," it sounds like it's going to be an essay on the subtle changes of linguistics. But then you get into some specifics that don't seem to necessarily support a point so much as simply give your opinion--i.e., the "they" paragraph and the bit about machines being for efficiency but not the arts (and language, it could be argued, is both--the basis of poetry and yet also our means for basic communication).

If you intend this as a formal essay or what have you, I'd say take a look at your conclusion and start with that. Because it actually seems like that is the point where you end up with a thesis along the lines of "change is necessary, but make sure that it is purposeful and efficiency is not its sole purpose," although that's a bit wordy for a short essay's thesis.

If not, then: I take back this whole review and just say, "A very interesting read."

I will say: in general terms (specifics excluded due to our differences on the alright v. all right debate), you seem to feel the way about linguistics as I do. Which is:

Inner Grammarian: It's DEFINITELY, not DEFINATELY, and you cannot use "literally" when you mean something figuratively!
Inner Linguist: By the rules of prescriptive grammar, no, but since language is a product of the people who speak it...
Inner Grammarian: SHUT. UP.

Which is why, every time someone spells something wrong on Facebook, I seethe about it for maybe three seconds, and then I say, "Then again, language is the product of the people who speak it," and let it go. Although...as a future English teacher, I'll have to crack down on that. But only in formal assignments. Linguistics is interesting as heckles.

Blue

Thanks for the review! And I would expect no less than a real review. (Dedication is not an implied bribe for fluff. :D )
I guess part of the problem why this is so scatterbrained is that there's another article related to this I want to write, but couldn't write it until I'd finished this one, so that second one will probably be a little bit better. And I followed the style of Technopoly (a really, really good book), so the bounciness is almost traditional.
Yes, conclusion is where I tried to get back on track and draw everything to a head. It's hard trying to put general concepts into words. XD
But thanks again for the review!

BluesClues says...

You're very welcome :)

Lily you are my fig father
— Elliebanana