z

Young Writers Society


16+ Violence

Pig House (1)

by Baesch


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

AN: This still feels like a .. draft. It represents about half of the planned storyline, and will be followed by another "chapter", or an extension at least. I haven't been online here in what feels like for ever, so I don't know if anyone will go to the effort of reading this, but I'd be really grateful for considered feedback. I haven't been writing regularly, and if it hadn't been for Neil Gaiman, who turned up in a dream last night, I probably wouldn't have finished this, either. Be honest but constructive! Merci. 

--



There was the stench of pig; shit that had become part of the air whirled into her face as she pulled the dead man through the muck. Unrecognisable, like most of them. Bloated and heavier than anything that could be alive.

Maybe not that unrecognisable. A glint on his left ring finger snapped to her attention. Anne dropped to his side and clasped the band of metal tightly. She slipped a little in the shit-mud as she pulled at his finger, but braced herself against the bloated body and managed to pull the wedding ring off, along with a strip of skin and gore that sluiced off with it.

Shouting and the sound of running feet from behind. She shoved the ring into a breast pocket and jumped to her feet, hands in the air. The men wouldn't come too near to her anyway. She put both hands on the corpse's waistcoat, and pulled it along to the others.

When she had twisted him onto the heap, she turned to make out the remaining bodies. Only one left. Wearily, she approached the last corpse. As bloated as the others, purple face in the mud and distended stomach bare and as purple as the rest. This one was easy to recognise. Borent. There had been ashes in the air when he had kissed her, and heat had pushed them away from the crowd. He had snuck his hand under her top in the pitch black of the first trees. But those ashes hadn't filled her nostrils with the stench of burnt flesh.

She knew that they wanted to kill her. They had made her pile the dead on three bonfires, two of which were already lit. Burn them as soon as possible, their leader had told his men. And then burn her. Don't let any of it escape. Burn your clothes. Scald yourselves, burn it out of every hole in your stinking hides. Then we leave. The water already boiled on campfires to the back. Clean clothing would wait for the men who stepped naked from their baths.

They can wash themselves of this. While they wash, will I burn with the dead? It smelled of pork. Pork, that she only tasted maybe three times a year, and they smelled of it. But there was the sickly smell just under it, and the dead clammy mud around her that the ashes pattered into.

While the men washed, their provisions would lie unguarded. They didn't want to risk anyone passing anything on to anyone else. All were to bathe at the same time. That should be her time to act, but Anne knew she would burn like a pig before they stripped. She wanted to live. All around her piled the rotting carcasses of those who had peopled her short life and she wanted to live. There was only one way out left. And if she was to die anyway, why not die running?

Borent was heavy. He had been heavy before, but every corpse seemed like a trunk of wood dragged from the river once you started pulling.

The men's attention did not seem focused on her any more. She had the last corpse, the job was nearly done. Also, they did not like to come too close to the fires. They left the lit area to her, to stumble and leave furrows in. She was like a dog in the pit, lit from all sides and unsure of who watched.

She was nearly there. The last unlit pyre was directly ahead of her, she could even see what looked like her mother's head lolling out of the side. Not far at all, and she knew what would happen when she reached the heap. The men wouldn't want to touch her, but they'd have to, if they wanted to kill her quickly. She wasn't done yet, though, and they would much rather wait for her to deposit the corpse than leave a job half-finished. Now was her only chance. She would take it.

That day, the day she had known would be the last, had numbered fifteen corpses. Her arms were water and her legs had the consistency of goosefat. Anne had not been fed in three days. She dropped what had been Borent and ran. The first steps were heavy, her boots sucking into the mud, her legs like dead things themselves, heavy and clumsy. But with each step her body seemed to regain something of life, and before she knew it she was behind the unlit pyre, then the burning, stinking blizzard of ash enveloped her.

The provisions were in the other direction, alongside the tools she could have stolen and the furs she would need in the night, but she ran. She ran through the golden light, the pulsating heat, the ashes that rained on her. She ran, and she heard nothing behind her save the cracking of firewood and the occasional bang as a corpse exploded in the flames. She was nearly by the forest when the first cry went up.

"The girl! She's -" She dove out of the hull of light and warmth and into the black. Here was the path, somewhere, but she had no way of telling it from the rest save by a slight ease in passage. She pushed and her thin, emaciated frame helped her; she flitted under boughs that the men would bash their teeth in on and eventually seemed to make quicker passage, be met by less obstruction. Anne hurried along the path, short of breath, empty, hollow, spurred only by the fear of more pain to come. Behind her, the shouts of angry men receded into the occasional yell, then nothing.

*


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:59 pm
erilea wrote a review...



Baesch, nice to meet you! You've gotta' meet some of my friends, especially writer88. They're AWSUM.

First off, I defined sluice, and noticed that it meant flow smoothly, or a channel. It doesn't really fit the mood or the sentence.

"...along with a strip of skin and gore that sluiced off with it."

The sentence after that one isn't complete.

"Shouting and the sound of running feet from behind."

And why is there a star in the end? This was awesome otherwise, and I enjoyed reading it. It wasn't very clear, neither was the title. I liked this, as said, and I hope you wrote more. Forgive if you did, I didn't check. Byezeez!

-wisegirl22




User avatar
532 Reviews


Points: 27927
Reviews: 532

Donate
Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:42 pm
ArcticMonkey wrote a review...



Hi Baesch! Here to review~

So this was a really weird read, mostly because I wasn't really expecting it, and I'm not the biggest fan of gory stuff. However, I guess that was your aim, so I think you showed all of the gore in a tasteful manner. I think the whole idea of a Pig House was just something really interesting and different to read, so good job!

My first nitpick is using the word 'shit-mud' or just 'shit' is just a word I don't feel should be used in the storytelling. It just seems a bit formal, and it pulls away from the intense atmosphere, so I wouldn't use it if I were you.

All around her piled the rotting carcasses of those who had peopled her short life and she wanted to live.

I looked it up, and I don't think 'peopled' is a word. Did you mean there were lots of people in her short life?

A good thing about this was how it jumped straight into the action, and so left the reader wanting to know more. However, I felt like some of my questions just weren't answered, and to be honest the whole thing confused me quite a bit. I wasn't sure who was a pig and who was a human, and just what the situation was.

So when you're introducing someone new, human or pig, maybe you could just give a quick introduction. Nothing too long, not to take away from the story, but I just think it'll mean that the readers will be a bit less confused.

Overall, this was really interesting. I'm wondering if I actually understood it properly, because I'm kind of unsure of the whole setting and stuff, so maybe you could describe that a bit more. I hope this review helped, feel free to ask me any questions or if you'd like another review on anything.

Keep writing,
~ArcticMonkey x




User avatar
862 Reviews


Points: 29096
Reviews: 862

Donate
Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:32 pm
View Likes
Morrigan wrote a review...



Wow, really nice story concept! I like it!

Your descriptions are pretty darn good. I cringed at Anne removing the wedding ring. *shudders*

That being said, there are a few things that I think could help improve this.

First, a general thing. Give us more clues about this place that they're in. Obviously, it's a pig pen, but is it on a farm? The girl's family is burning-- why didn't they kill her too? It seems that there is some kind of disease, but she doesn't seem to be suffering too much. Is there actually a disease, or is this brainwashing of the men so they will kill who their leader wants them to? You don't have to tell us, but clues would be fabulous. It's a very small scene as it is, and while it is a story, I feel like it needs a little more context.

Maybe not that unrecognisable.
Okay, so you say this, and then you don't tell other than the wedding ring about the recognition. Did she know him? I think it would be interesting if she just recognized him from the type of wedding band it was.

Shouting and the sound of running feet from behind. She shoved the ring into a breast pocket and jumped to her feet, hands in the air.
This feels like a false start to a race. It's a set up for action, and then she just goes, "eh" and continues. I would change the wording of this, and perhaps make her reaction not quite as strong if she was able to go "eh" in the sentence after this.

she turned to make out the remaining bodies
"make out" seems weird here. Find a synonym.

I feel like there should be a little more emotion as the girl runs away. I'd be pretty freaked out if I had to run from that and not get caught.

Altogether, nice job. I hope that this review proves useful to you! Happy writing!




User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 482
Reviews: 5

Donate
Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:12 pm
Bastion wrote a review...



First off, a really great story overall with a very interesting concept. Might I add that I'm not to great when it comes to reviewing, but I'll do my best, and hopefully I'll get better the more I make!

I noticed you spelled recognize with an "s" where the "z" should be. I'm not sure if other languages spell it differently, but I know recognize is definitely correct. You may have to look into that though.

"But those ashes hadn't filled her nostrils with the stench of burnt flesh." I was a little confused at this part. I'm not sure if you meant "those ashes HAD filled her nostrils" or if I'm just to dense to figure out it's true meaning. I also don't personally think it needs to be in that paragraph, as the girl was describing a memory or two of this "Borent", and it just kind of seems out of place. If you intend to keep it, maybe elaborate a bit more on it's meaning? Not so much as to make it as obvious as day, but not so vague that someone as dense as myself will spend forever trying to figure out where it fits in.

"Don't let any of it escape." Since it's already in italics, I feel as if something must be added to emphasize "it". Such as quotations or whatever may be the correct punctuation to do so,

"They can wash themselves of this." I feel as if this sentence isn't really necessary, and can be taken out.

"...and they smelled of it..." I would take this out, and instead edit the "It smelled of pork." to "Everything smelled of pork, including the 'men'." Or just to "Everything smelled of pork."

"...Anne knew she would burn like a pig..." I see what you did there. Nice.

"All around her piled the rotting carcasses of those who had peopled her short life and she wanted to live." This entire sentence needs touching up. Such as "All around her were the piles of rotting carcasses".

"...who had peopled her short life..." Not really sure what this means. Maybe just a typo or grammar error?

"There was only one way out left" I'd change this to "There was only one chance of escape."

"...trunk of wood dragged from the river..." I might would change this to "trunk of wood straight out of the river." But that's just me. ^_^

"Also, they did not like to come too close to the fires." Take out Also, it's not needed.

"...dog in the pit..." I would change this to "...dog in a cage...", but that's just me.

"...nothing behind her save the cracking..." Change save to "aside from".

That's about all though. The story really intrigued me, I hope to see your finalized version! ~Bastion




Baesch says...


Hey, thanks for the review!

So I'm a bit irritated at America. There is the whole remainder of the globe out there, and other places have this thing called British English. It's not your fault you don't know this shit, I guess, but yeah. Harbor is harbour over here. Center = centre. And recognize = recognise. Bleh.

But thanks for your input, and for going through all of this and putting such effort into it! Since you seem to want to grow, review-wise, let me tell you, your review ain't too bad, as compared to other stuff I have .. gotten :D I always do a block of negative first, where possible under a common header - i.e. identify a core problem of their text, and then a block of positive stuff. It's nice to end on positives :D I don't usually nitpick on wording much, but that's just 'cause I'm lazy c:



Bastion says...


Yeah, that's why I wasn't sure about recognize or recognise. No one really says anything about it being spelled differently in other places, you kinda just find out after sounding like an idiot for correcting them. xD And thanks for the tips, I'll have to use them!




Poetry lies its way to the truth.
— John Ciardi