z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

College Essay V.1

by Sunshine


Prompt #3; Challenging An Idea

My version of God looks like Morgan Freeman.

He is hardly anything like the pale God I learned of in my childhood, though they share the same words. My version of God has the deepest voice, the sort of voice meant for narrating. His voice is the thickest of honey, pouring straight off the comb, making even the blandest parts of the Bible fill with euphony of sounds. The age spots and flaws make His smile look even brighter: His hair is white, the white of my skin.

My faith was not always this way. As a young child, I attended a Church Group called AWANA’s, something I liked going to, if not mainly for the games and the candy. I went to multiple different Summer Bible Camps and attended Church with my neighbors. My family did not have a Church we went to weekly, but my life was still decorated with Bible verses on the edges, and that what was so difficult to me; I did not understand them. Of course, I was a bright child, not admitting this to myself until much later on, but beyond the words I could recite I could not find the God they told me was in them. I went to these things and I had fun, whispering the comforting words without reasoning with them.

My Father was raised Catholic, and my Mother had no name to her faith, but was determined to try them all on for size. We went to Quaker meeting, where I learned how to listen to God, but his voice was too quiet or I had not the patience to listen, and would go play in the loft instead. My Mother decided she liked she liked listening, and walked her family through the woods to try and find God. She would tell me that God made the trees and I would listen to the wind through the trees like the Quaker’s taught me how to and would think I could hear a voice. Was it whispering those old bible verses I had once memorized? Or was it wordless sound, a voice giving birth to my imagination? I am still not sure.

Every once in a while a movie about a modern Noah would come on TV. I would always forget what it was called- was in Evan Almighty? Or was his name Bruce?-but I would sit and watch it all the same. Morgan Freeman played God, and I loved the way he seemed clever and human and a mysterious deity. The more I would watch it, the more I would smile when Morgan Freeman playing God; and I decided, one day, that’s how I would want my idea of God to be.

I am always shifting, always changing my mind. Sometimes Bible verses come in comfort to me, the glossy pages of my Precious Moment’s Bible making me smile, and sometimes I am shocked by the pain believing in those words can cause. I take the prayers people offer me and, occasionally, offer my own, rare jewels in the palms of my small hands.

I believe I have a God who understands.

Things, Reviewers:

-Very few colleges in my state use the Common App. I'm applying to an out-of-state as well as an in-state that do. How is my understanding?

-I'm applying to a Quasi-religious school. (Not one where you have to be any sort of religious to be accepted, but still.) Is this an inappropriate topic?

-Feel free to tear apart grammar and whatever, especially my use of 'euphony'

Thank you! I know it's a bit early, but I have a lot of time on my hands, and I figured I might make the best I can out of it!


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
81 Reviews


Points: 9485
Reviews: 81

Donate
Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:35 am
Masquerade wrote a review...



I think you have a really good idea here with this essay, but I think it could do with a bit of tightening up. I think it's an interesting topic, and it doesn't seem to be to controversial to me. College's like essays that show that you are motivated and/or full of thoughts in my experience, and I think this topic works for that.

I like what you've got started here, but I think the main topic isn't completely clear. I mean it's obvious you are talking about God, but what specifically is it about God that you are trying to say? At first it seemed like you were talking about a view of God that is non traditional (ie God not being "white"), and I think that's what this was about, but you seemed to stray in places. This is really hard to describe, but it didn't feel smooth and cohesive throughout. Like you were describing these different experiences, but I think they could have been more strongly tied back to your main idea, and I think your main idea could have been more clearly stated. It's something that's really hard to achieve with the word limits on the common app essay, but it's something that will make your essay very attractive. The last sentence also seemed a little out of the blue, and I'm not sure how it connected back to your main point. You hadn't mentioned much that would allude to a understanding God before this point.

Here's a couple nitpicks as well:

"My version of God has the deepest voice, the sort of voice meant for narrating. His voice is the thickest of honey, pouring straight off the comb, making even the blandest parts of the Bible fill with euphony of sounds."

Okay, you use the word "voice" a lot in a small space. I would try to condense or reword that maybe.

"My Mother decided she liked she liked listening"

I think you repeated "she liked" here. The sentence that this was in was also a bit awkward sounding. You might try rewording it.

I hope this review made sense. It's a bit hard to explain. I think you've got a good start here and a topic that could make for a great college application essay. Good luck with your applications!

-Masq




Sunshine says...


The topic is the important part, to me. I can make edits. Anyway, thank you for the help!



User avatar
557 Reviews


Points: 33593
Reviews: 557

Donate
Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:58 pm
Ventomology wrote a review...



Since I have no idea what colleges like and don't like (too young for that!), I can't help you with any of those questions, but I can help review grammar!

Before I start, let me say that this is a pretty good piece. Your voice is pretty consistent (except for one place where you almost switched to old English, which was kind of weird...), and the style is straightforward with a touch of poetic device scattered through the piece. I'm pretty sure that teachers really like this style, because I get little smiley faces whenever I do that.

Anyways, onto the nitpicks!

He is hardly anything like the pale God I learned of in my childhood, though they share the same words
There isn't anything wrong here, but a nice little 'even' before the 'though' would make it sound better.
making even the blandest parts of the Bible fill with euphony of sounds.
Okay, since you asked about this one, yes, it is wrong. You need to put the article 'a' in front of 'euphony'. (DO NOT PUT 'an'. IT IS 'a'.) And please don't ask about the grammar behind this because it has way to many exceptions to explain well.
We went to Quaker meeting
I don't know if there is some special rule about Quaker meetings (like, do you use the word like 'mass'?), but if there isn't, you need either an article, or to pluralize 'meeting'.
but his voice was too quiet or I had not the patience to listen
Here is the part where you did some funky thing with your word order. It's technically correct, so you don't have to change it, but it stuck out when I read your piece.

I think that's all on the nitpick part. I really like the idea of God looking like Morgan Freeman; it's a good way of seeing things. I hope more people can come to see religious figures (and undecided book characters!) as races and colors that may not match the mainstream.

This is a good essay, as far as I can tell.

I wish you the best of luck on the college applications!
-Bug




Sunshine says...


Thank you! These nitpicks are really important, especially the euphony one, so thanks a lot!




cron
attempting foot extraction
— Mea