Asenath:Tears on the Sand Chapter 17

by Aravis10

XVII

Asenath rocked the baby under the shade of a jujube tree, laden with ripe fruit. The baby was so tiny and peaceful as she lay in Asenath’s arms. She had a full head of black hair and smooth skin. Suddenly, she opened her huge eyes and began to scream.

She has eyes like her mother.

“Shhhh. Shhhh. You must want your mommy.” Continuing to rock the howling child, Asenath stood up and took the baby to her mother, Oni, who was pregnant again. “I think she needs her mother.”

Oni, who looked exhausted, replied, “Of course she does.” When Oni took her daughter into her arms, she immediately stopped crying. “There, there Asenath. Of only when we named her after you, my lady, she would have gotten your quiet disposition.”

Asenath laughed. “Actually, baby Asenath is much better than I ever was. My mother told me that when I was a baby, I screamed constantly.”

“Mmmm.”

She isn’t even listening to me.

Instead, Oni was transfixed by her baby girl.

Pain shot up on her heart.

A mother’s love. I wish that I could understand.

But, Asenath was still childless.

“My lady?’

“Yes?”

“Will you check on Zuberi? I think he ran off with master and lord Amnon to check on the grapes in the fruit garden.”

“Of course, you need to rest.”

“Rest. That sounds good.”

Asenath walked off to find Oni’s oldest child and only son, Zuberi.

Life was back to normal. It had been about two and a half years since Joseph and her had been wed, and a year and a half since Amnon’s coming.

Asenath loved her family’s unity, especially since Msrah had believed in Elohim. Amnon, Joseph, and Msrah had become fast friends. Together, they had grown Joseph’s fields into some of the best in the land. Often all three would go on long walks to talk about Elohim. This annoyed Asenath, but she had learned to deal with it.

Each to his own.

She spotted Amnon, Joseph, and Zuberi inspecting a wilted vine.

“Now Zuberi,” Amnon was saying. “What do you think happened to this vine?”

“…Died?”

Joseph and Amnon laughed.

Asenath spoke. “He is only a year old. How would he know that?”

“Ah, Asenath.” Joseph put her arm around her. “Why are you always right?”

She smiled sheepishly. Zuberi ran up and put his chubby arms around her leg. “Auntie Afenaf. Pay me minic.”

She smiled. “Music? Alright. Let’s go back to the house.” She turned to her husband and brother. “Duty calls, “ she joked.

He stuck his pudgy, wet hand in hers. “Go,” he demanded.

They walked through the gardens. Asenath sighed as she looked at the bright eyes of Zuberi.

Life is beautiful.

Asenath led him into her bedroom to the silver harp she had been given at her wedding. She sat him in her lap and began to play. Playing her harp had become her second favorite thing to do. Joseph didn’t allow pagan Egyptian songs in the home. She had begun to write harp music as well as play it. Zuberi began to clap his hands and laugh to the lively music.

I used to hate this harp. Funny how life is. Things change so often.

Joseph walked in, and Asenath stopped playing.

Zuberi began to cry. “No!”

Joseph took him up in his arms. “Zuberi, you must not cry. Auntie Asenath is done for now. Run off and find your mother.” He set him down, and the boy skipped away.

Asenath dropped her hands into her lap. Tears began to well up in her eyes.

“Dearest, what’s wrong?”

“I… and Zuberi… and… little Asenath. I’m sorry. So sorry.”

Joseph sat beside her and took her hands. “I understand. I want a child as much as you do. But, it’s not your fault. If you are barren all your life, I won’t love you less.”

“I don’t deserve you.”

“Neither I, you. Don’t lose hope. Perhaps Elohim in his loving kindness will send us a child like He did for my mother Rachel.”

Elohim, Elohim. Loving kindness? I am childless! Keep on hoping Joseph. But it won’t change things.

#*#*#*#

Stars twinkled brilliantly over the sleeping city. Joseph paced nervously with his hands behind his back on the front portico. Amnon leaned against a pillar with his eyes closed.

“What do you think is happening?” Joseph demanded.

“I’m not sure. Only women know these things.”

“But…if something goes wrong,”

“Calm down! Elohim is in control. Remember how He has blessed you. Your wife became pregnant after almost two years of infertility.”

Joseph took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “Yes, how could I have forgotten? But not knowing what is happening will drive me insane!”

All grew quiet for a moment. A high pitched scream cut the stillness.

Joseph was filled with fright. “That was the worst scream I have heard yet! I must see my wife!”

He began to make way towards the mansion, but Amnon grabbed his arm. “No, my lord. You will only disturb them. Do not fear. Asenath is a strong woman. She will be fine. Instead of worrying, let us pray.”

Joseph and Amnon knelt together on the cold stone and laid their hearts before their God. They continued their vigilance throughout the long night. Periodically, they were interrupted by cries of pain.

The sun had just begun to color the sky pale pink when Oni came out of the house.

“My lord?”

Joseph stood. He had dark bags under his eyes. “Yes?”

“Would you like to see your wife… and your son?”

Joseph’s worries melted away. “A son! Elohim be praised! I must see them!” He rushed in like a child.

Amnon laughed out loud. “She had a son!”

#*#*#*#*#

Asenath sat in bed holding her son. He had his father’s strong features and his mother’s thick black hair.

As she looked at him, emotions began to well up inside her that she never felt before. They were the emotions of a mother for her new-born child. The feelings of seeing the miracle of life cannot be described by tongue and pen. She could not even comprehend it herself. All she could think was He is beautiful.

Joseph cautiously opened the door. “Asenath?”

“Joseph!”

I must look terrible.

“Come, hold your son.”

Joseph approached the bed. He glowed as he looked at the baby. “He is perfect.”

“Hold out your arms so I can give him to you.” Asenath reachedto gently place him in his father’s arms.

Joseph was nervous and he stood stiffly with the baby resting awkwardly on his muscular arm. “Don’t worry. You are doing just fine.” Joseph relaxed and gazed into his son’s peaceful face.

He will be a great dad.

“Do you think that he will like me?”

Asenath giggled. “Of course he will. You are his daddy!”

“This…this is amazing!”

She felt the same, but she didn’t have to respond. They understood each other.

“What should we name him?” she asked.

“Let’s wait eight days. Then we will have him circumcised and name him.”

Odd custom. But eight days in no big deal.

Asenath yawned. “Sounds fine.”

“You are worn out. I will let Oni take care of him while you rest. Tonight, if you are up for it, we can have a celebration!”

“Not too big.”

“No, no, just friends and family.” Joseph walked out with the baby.

So much has happened in just nine months. I was barren. Then, I was pregnant. I thought that I couldn’t be happier. Now I am even happier. I can’t wait to be a mommy. But then…

She was asleep.

TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy heeere

So this is a different kind of chapter. I can see a different side of Asenath in this - something which had always lingered in the background before, never revealing itself totally to the reader. She's gentle as well as being feisty. I loved the relationship between her and Oni, which has totally changed from that of a slave and her mistress to friends. Before, it seemed as though Oni was more like a servant - while they were friends at the same time. Here, it seems as though they're next door neighbors. I like that. It seems like something which would happen after time, with Asenath becoming who she is now. I can still see the changes she's going through, each chapter progressing her a bit to who she will be at the end of he book. But this one shows who she has become with extreme clarity.

She had a full head of black hair and smooth skin. Suddenly, she opened her huge eyes and began to scream.

So something I have noticed you do (and quite a few authors, it seems) is use suddenly to express something startling happen. Just like you're trying to flow into a different part of the scene, and that's a default. I would advise you avoid suddenly as much as possible, because if a word can become cliché, it has. Everyone uses it to express surprise, and it's really a shame because creating a transition into the parts read so much smoother. Describe the child - just as you did. I liked how she noticed this things about the child. What you need to do is transition smoother. I would recommend a new paragraph for the screaming (since it's a different type of action - so much different from the peace. So, in my opinion, it should have its own paragraph). That would establish the boom! affect just fine. And then slide into the paragraph, perhaps having the child's screaming interrupt Asenath saying something to Oni, mid-sentence? Tweak it and see what you can come up with.

Of only when we named her

If only?

This part confused me somewhat, because she wasn't stating something. She asked something. So how can a question be right when she hasn't given the answer? It just seems odd, especially because I don't know what Joseph thinks is right. ^.^

The feelings of seeing the miracle of life cannot be described by tongue and pen.

While I liked this part, it seemed out of place because it wasn't third person limited, but more like a disconnected narrator taking a breather from the story because they didn't have the words to say anything. So while that is a neat concept and something which I would keep in the book, remember to insert more of it into the later drafts. Otherwise, these once-happening things just make the piece disjointed because they're out of place - never having been seen before in the book. And this is definitely something which should be inserted more often. I liked this little tidbit - seeming still like part of the book, but almost as though it was directly from the narrator, too.

Asenath yawned. “Sounds fine.”

You repeated yourself here. First, you told us through her thought that she had no problems with it, and then you told us again through her dialogue (which I liked better, I think). Since part of the thought isn't in the dialogue, you could fit them together until they're a jointed part with the same idea rather than repeating yourself twice. Parts such as this are the least of your concerns while editing, but still nice to grab while you're there. Having sentences/words that repeat themselves clutter your writing with superfluous stuff that pokes at the reader as they go. Try to cut out as much of that as you can. Say it once. Be done. Move on. Simple as that. c:

This chapter was gooood, and I especially liked the fact that they have a family now. They seem so strong, tied together in so many ways now. The one thing that would make them whole is if she believed in Elohim. But that will come in time. Therese mentioned the poor transitioning of times and such in her review, so I won't repeat her. But that did take me out of the piece for a while until I sorted it all out. Try and work on those parts, making them flow seamlessly into each other. And, it also seemed odd that Asenath would want Joseph to take her newborn child away from her. O_o She's only had this child inside her for nine months, and now she's just had the chance to hold him... and she's going to allow him to leave her side for the night? I know when my mother had babies, they were always beside her until they became older. She told me it was better for the baby, too (oh, looky there. talking as though I know something about this. xd). But besides those little things (which could just be me), this chapter was very good and a delight to read - as usual. c: I'll be doing more of these in the upcoming review day.
~Darth Timmyjake

ThereseCricket wrote a review...

Hi! Cricket here for a review!

Well I enjoyed those little details thrown in that showed that Asenath really did want a child. It started with her holding Oni's child. Then as it went further, she saw Oni holding her child and she began to start having thoughts towards herself, and the fact that she was barren still.

One thing that I would advise you to work on, is your transition between the two scenes. They're talking about her being barren after she was done with playing the harp, and then it instantly goes into her having a baby. And I noticed one of the previous reviewers also mentioned it, and you said that you had put some asterisks or something like that in-between the two scenes. I get that, but I don't think you should do that anyway. Maybe talk about how much time had gone by for them? And elaborate more on it, perhaps?

Of only when we named her after you, my lady, she would have gotten your quiet disposition.”

I think Of is the wrong word here. If is the right one. Or else the entire sentence will make nooo sense.

Asenath stood up and took the baby to her mother, Oni, who was pregnant again.

Here's a slight example of telling and not showing enough. Instead of just saying that Oni is pregnant again, try and show us through gestures and dialogue. Make it obvious to us, the readers, that she's pregnant.

Yeah, I gave up understanding almost 16 years ago. That stuff is rather complicated. ;)

Each to his own.

Hmm, I'm not sure I liked this about Asenath. It almost made her seem like she didn't care what her husband or brother did. I mean, she wants what's best for her loved ones, right? And what she thinks is best, is probably believing in Ra, right? I personally, don't think that it's very consistent of her character, to at one time be absolutely against them doing anything with their God, and then the next moment, just tossing it aside like it's nothing, and is now a way of life for her. Which by the way, it does seem to be that way now for her. Which isn't bad. I just think that she needs to still react fairly violently towards Joseph's ideas. :D

He set him down, and the boy skipped away.

OK, think about this for a moment. The boy had been just crying over her stopping on the harp, and now he's skipping? Nope, nope. Not happening in my mind. For one, it would depend on his personality what he would do, but any little kid would feel a bit down if told no. Maybe have him walk slower or something?

Keep on hoping Joseph.

Comma after Joseph.

She sat him in her lap and began to play

Hold on... she's holding him in her lap while she does it? I'd suggest watching somebody play the harp and see if that's possible, really. I've seen the harp played a few times, but I don't remember it that well, so I'd research that a little bit.

Zuberi began to clap his hands and laugh to the lively music.

Umm, I may be wrong at this, but harp music isn't generally lively. More like a flowing kind of music. Kinda soft I think. Make sure you research this as well.

Only women know these things.”

Omigosh, I almost burst out laughing at this part! perfectly true, of course

Your wife became pregnant after almost two years of infertility.”

OK, I'm confused. You said earlier that they had been married for almost two and a half years, but here it says otherwise. Are you taking out the time that they spent not interacting with each other then? Cause I'm not sure that's going to work. I think it will confuse a bunch of readers, and for another it's technically not accurate. I mean, she was still not fertile for two and a half years...

He had his father’s strong features and his mother’s thick black hair.

I didn't really like this description. It gave me not real picture of the baby really. Try and use some more visual words, and play around with the wording as well.

Overall, I found that I adored this chapter, mainly because she FINALLY had a baby. I mean, that's just adorable! She finally has a husband who cares for her, a son, a friend in her former slave, and that all equals a happy life really!

One thing though... having a celebration that day? And Ansenath is going to attend?! That's insane and in all ways just... not right. OK, my mother has personally had 11 children. She doesn't leave her bed, unless it's out of necessity or in case of a dire emergency. One time she might have left her bed to go to a funeral of a very old friend of the family. But that was it.

Also, her doctor told her that she should be really spending ten to fourteen days in bed, in order to recuperate properly. This could really hurt Asenath, if she's not careful is what I'm saying. Do you think you could maybe make it a few more days? Just a few more, to make sure she's recuperating properly from the birth? I'd ask some doctors, and midwifes, and also... just google it! :D

OK, that's it from me I think!

~Cricket

Aravis10 says...

11 children! Wow, you have a bunch of siblings! I've seen some of them on here but I wasn't sure if they were your real siblings or um...YWS siblings (if that makes sense) Thanks for the review!

Wolfi wrote a review...

Happy Review Day!!!
Awww! A baby Asenath! :)

Of only when we named her after you,

If only.
Auntie Afenaf. Pay me minic.”

xD How cute! But "minic" doesn't seem like a proper translation to "music," you know? Maybe, "muvic?"
Stars twinkled brilliantly over the sleeping city.

Woah.... This begins a big time jump, doesn't it? I was very confused because Asenath was crying about not having a baby, and now she seems to be giving birth to one. This transition needs to be a lot better so that the reader doesn't get confused. You could have a little ~*~ thingy or at least explain that time has passed.
Asenath reachedto gently place him in his father’s arms.

I think that you can see the little mistake here!
But eight days in no big deal.

Is, not in.
Tonight, if you are up for it, we can have a celebration!”

Gosh, that night is really soon for Asenath. A whole week would be more appropriate.

Lovely ending!
This was a wonderful chapter! All I can recommend is to fix that time transition so that it makes more sense. But otherwise, it was great!! The reader feels many different emotions when reading this. We felt Asenath's sorrow for not having a baby, and then we were joyful when Joseph was holding his baby boy in his muscular arms. Sad, then happy, which is a wonderful way to tie up a chapter!!! I'm so happy for Asenath and Joseph. They are sure to be wonderful parents. Excellent job, Aravis!

Aravis10 says...

I had a little thing in the gap but when I copied this from Word, it disappeared. Thank you for the review!!!!!!!!! I am so happy that you are sticking with me!

r4p17 wrote a review...

Knight r4 here to review this chapter, Aravis! I certainly hope this helps you when you edit!!

I think that you meant to say "if" instead of, "of" here" just a minor typo. XP. I'm known for them too.

Before I read any further I just thought that I would mention that I think you could do a little better job of portraying Egyptian society. I mean I don't think that a slave would as her mistress to go check on her baby boy. If anything it would be the other way around. I mean most slaves were the lowest of the low. Granted, Oni may be one of the more important slaves, but her compared to the visier's wife is like dirt compared with iron. Oh, and how did Oni know what Amnon's real name was. I thought that the slaves were not supposed to know.

“Auntie Afenaf. Pay me minic.”
You did a good job of imitating baby speech here!

Run off and find your mother.”
Do you really think that they would let him wander around some estate without supervision? He is a toddler after all.

I think that you could use some introduction before starting a scene such as, ~~~ or ***

Overall I liked this chapter. Aside from the gap with any warning beforehand and a little unrealism about the culture of that time (which is sort of understandable) I really liked this. The ending was just fabulous. Overall I definitely look forward to reading more of this! You have a good plot going and lots of dialogue, though you might want to tone that down just a little, and a fair amount of action. Happy writing and happy review day!!! :D.

This review was brought to you by Team Rocket!!!

Aravis10 says...

Oni is a slave, but Asenath has known her for so long they are more like sisters. And I had a little thing in the gap but when I copied this from Word, it disappeared. Thanks for the review!

GreenLight24 wrote a review...

Hello there, Aravis10! GreenLight24 here with a review for you on this fabulous Sunday morning. I see you are also representing Team Plasma. :D Before I start this review I'd like to tell you how it's going to be formatted. First, I'll talk about some things you did well, then I'll offer you some constructive criticisms later in the review. Also, because I haven't read the rest of the chapters, I will be reviewing this chapter as if it were a stand alone piece. Now let's get this party started.

The first thing that impressed me about this story was the conceptual depth of it. I definitely feel like the concepts are there as far as what you want to illustrate and the kind of tone you want to present to the reader. I can tell you have done some thinking about what exactly you're hoping the reader will get from this novel and so far things seem to be pretty well developed. A lack of context didn't diminish my enjoyment of this chapter one bit. Another thing that was cool about this chapter was it's formatting. By that I mean the extensive use of dialogue to tell a story. Some say that it's nice to have a healthy balance between dialogue and actual story telling, but I always lean more to the side of using heavy dialogue to bring your scenes, characters, and stories to life. It's not too often you see writers of novels really just going for it with the dialogue and letting their characters progress the story. Your decision to do so was impressive.

The ending of this story was amazing, BTW. Suspense has been built, and the reader looks forward to some sort of continuation and resolution of the introduced conflicts in the next chapter.

Now, for the constructive criticisms.

First off, I'd like to mention that while I admired your decision to use heavy dialogue, I didn't think that your dialogue itself was up to par here. I sort of felt like it was a bit unnatural and by this point in the novel, your characters should be more developed as far as conversations between them go. It got better towards the end, but I was still left wanting more interesting conversation in the beginning and middle portions.

Another thing I think you could work on is the way you describe characters' actions. Some of your descriptions of the way your characters react to one another feel a little bit odd and disjointed. It's not necessarily that your descriptions are less than good, it's more just a matter of their placement and execution. Once again, things started to get really nice towards the ending, but the beginning and middle portions weren't so.

I guess I liked your imagery, but like, it feels a bit odd in some places too. I can see what you were going for, but the narrative voice really takes a hit with all of these descriptive bits that distract from the main conflict. There's an astonishing lac of symbolism with your imagery too. You never have to incorporate symbolism, but I think that it could help you tremendously as far as the execution of this novel goes.

I hope this review helps you should you decide to edit this work. Never stop writing.

Go team plasma! :D

Aravis10 says...

Thank you for your review! I don't think I really chose to use "heavy dialogue". Maybe it just happened. I can't seem to get right the dialogue between Asenath and Oni (if that was the part you were talking about). Oni used to be Asenath's slave, but now they are close and Oni is free. I struggle to imagine how their relationship would be. That's probably why that dialogue felt stiff. Anywho...thanks again! Go Plasma!

The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.
— Martin Luther King, Jr.