z

Young Writers Society


16+ Mature Content

felo de se

by EmeraldEyes


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

Katy would like to tell you that Katy is not ok.

She has eaten a whole cake.

She has waited in the hospital for hours.

Katy has an appointment.

She couldn't find a synonym for suicide until now.

And she has found it.

She has found... the nothingness within everything in her at the moment.

But she refuses to write a blog about it like all the rest.

They don't need to know her problems.

They don't need to know she almost died today.

Oops.

Katy doesn't want to be understood anymore.

Katy just wants to stop pretending and be someone else.

Because for her, there isn't pain in life.

Death isn't an option.

Only the struggle awaits Katy now in the hope that one day...

She will win the most difficult struggle of all.

That, of beating herself.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:53 pm
View Likes
erilea wrote a review...



Hey, EmeraldEyes, Happy Ultimate Pokemon Awesomeness Team Plasma For The Win Review Day! About time, my friend.

So first, in the first line, "ok" should be "OK", or "okay" if you prefer.

"Katy would like to tell you that Katy is not ok."

All the rest was fine. Proofread, revise, edit, and be awesome. The most I can tell you is I he you are on Plasma, not Aqua. Or Rocket. Just Plasma. Please, we need all the help we can get. You, my friend, is help.




User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:25 am
View Likes
BluesClues wrote a review...



(About time I leave you a review in return for all the Book Man reviews, eh?)

The opening of this poem is really strong. Its language is simplistic, yet I don't feel myself wanting further metaphors or imagery. The stark language reminds me of a hospital room, which is appropriate to a poem like this.

Now, I'm not sure about the "has eaten a whole cake" line. Is this a sign that Katy is a person who eats her feelings, i.e. she was depressed, so she ate a whole cake? Or is this supposed to point to some sort of other eating disorder, i.e. bulimia? Or was the eating of a whole cake a suicide attempt (kind of a poor one, unless she's allergic to one of the ingredients, has diabetes, or...uh...something like that)? I'm just wondering at the intention behind this line, and also: why a cake? A cake is usually something associated with birthday parties and happiness and togetherness, so this is an awfully grim use of one. I could see that being intentional, for sure, in an "oh, the irony" kind of way...I'm just wondering about the line as a whole.

The second part of the poem--starting after "Katy doesn't want to be understood anymore"--confused me at first, because, while the first part made her sound suicidal, the second part...actually, you know what it was? Because the first part was so dismal and there was no obvious turn-around or clear progression to a turn-around, or even a break in stanzas to symbolize a turn-around, I took the "beating herself" part...uh...(don't freak out)...well, literally.

But now I guess you meant "beating herself" like "defeating the part of her that wants to commit suicide/is depressed/doesn't like herself."

I would say, on that note, there are two lines that confused me:

Katy just wants to stop pretending and be someone else.
Because for her, there isn't pain in life.


The first line, to me, sounded like--because, I interpret "wants to stop pretending" as "now I want to be true to myself," but then it's followed by "be someone else," which makes it sound like she's WISHING she was someone else, which led me to think she was still depressed. And then it says "there isn't pain in life," which is an awfully quick turn-around from suicidal to "I want to live" without any indicator of such in between...yet she still has to "struggle" to beat herself, so obviously there is still some pain, or it wouldn't be a struggle, right?

I think if you clarified that by "be someone else," you mean (I think you mean) that she wants to be a better her and then had a clearer or more gradual transition--or, like I said, just reformat this so it's broken into stanzas--from her depression/eating disorder/suicidal tendencies/whatever her issue is to her willpower and desire to fight.

Blue

Spoiler! :
On the stanza note, if I may, a quick suggestion for how to break this up, although that choice is ultimately up to you:

Katy would like to tell you that Katy is not ok.

She has eaten a whole cake.
She has waited in the hospital for hours.

Katy has an appointment.

She couldn't find a synonym for suicide until now.
And she has found it.

She has found...
the nothingness within everything in her at the moment.

But she refuses to write a blog about it like all the rest.
They don't need to know her problems.
They don't need to know she almost died today.

Oops.

Katy doesn't want to be understood anymore.
Katy just wants to stop pretending and be someone else.

Because for her, there isn't pain in life.

Death isn't no longer an option.

Only the struggle awaits Katy now in the hope that one day...
She will win the most difficult struggle of all.

That of beating herself.


I was envisioning it with longer stanzas, but this is all I thought I could really do with it. You can see I had a couple more suggestions just based on the bits that confused me, or in some areas I edited for flow. I had more ideas than I thought, I'm sorry.

Oh, in that one line, I don't like "at the moment," but I feel like it needs something more there. I read it wrong when I was actually reading through the first time, but I can't remember what I thought it said beyond "the nothingness within her," though...




EmeraldEyes says...


Thank you for such a detailed review, I will take your suggestions and comments into consideration. :)



Random avatar

Points: 296
Reviews: 7

Donate
Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:20 pm
View Likes
EgTucks says...



Nice work! This is a well written piece, I found it to be both powerful and thought-provoking. Keep up the good work.




User avatar
240 Reviews


Points: 279
Reviews: 240

Donate
Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:43 pm
View Likes
AdmiralKat says...



0-0 This is my name (well almost)! 0-0




User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 396
Reviews: 15

Donate
Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:51 pm
View Likes
Purple29 wrote a review...



Wow. What a powerful poem! Great job!

Okay, so let's talk about the beauty of this piece!

First, I do have a little question concerning my confusion with the beginning part of this poem... So, I just want some clarity about the first few lines or so. So, at first I thought she was suicidal, then you say that death isn't an option... So, why did she eat a whole cake? Did she try to commit suicide, got an appointment at the hospital, and decided in the midst of that that she didn't want to ever try and take her life away again? I believe that I understand the entire second part of the poem, but it's just the beginning that's kind of put me through a loop!

Now, I really love SO many things about this piece. I adore the fact that you repeat "Katy" so many times; it just makes the piece that much more powerful. And I love that you use a semi-casual tone that makes the poem seem personalized, like Katy is almost telling it herself. It makes the emotions more prominent, and allows the reader to feel closer to Katy and understand her more. So great job there, too!

And the emotion in this piece was phenomenal! I could understand that Katy was feeling a little lost, but she was determined to fight through and win the battle against herself. You had absolutely no problem conveying emotion whatsoever, so congrats there!

This was a seriously awesome piece, so pride yourself!! Keep up the amazing work!! :)





the world (me) cries out for salvation (snacks)
— creaturefeature