z

Young Writers Society



Misery or Humanity (chapter 3)

by rocketdog11


Hoi Polloi – Blaine

After fleeing Julia’s house and escaping into the woods behind it, I made my way to the wall. Mom would probably be awake right now. Her legs hurt too much for her to sleep through the night. I knew she needed a doctor, but the best ones were Elite, too high-and-mighty to help a Common. I hung a sharp left, ending up on the main street. There were Elites out and about tonight, since it was a Friday. My only objective at this point was to get out of here before some Elite officer caught me. After turning off of the main drag where I knew there was a hole in the wall, I ducked through it and jumped into the truck, taking a deep breath.

That’s when it hit me. How could I start a revolution? What would I have to do?

I revved the engine, letting my arm dangle out the window. The cool breeze blowing in cleared my head, allowed me to think. I remembered that the bankers were the ones that ran this whole thing. Bankers like Julia’s dad. Could I bribe them? No. I dismissed that idea as insane. I didn’t have anything to bribe them with. I could always make them pay a ransom. But for what? An ugly thought popped up then. The banker’s kids. Like Julia. But I couldn’t bring myself to think about that. Julia would never forgive me for it. Why would I want to put her through a situation like that anyway? Just to prove something about me and my caste? That we steal other people’s kids and force them to pay money to get them back? We were civilized human beings, not pirates.

Then that’s when yet another idea occurred to me. I could run away, to where there were no Commons, no Elites, just regular people. From there, I could plan my revolt. But I had to get home first, to tell my mom and my two sisters Elise and Emma that I just went out for a nighttime drive. I was okay, and I didn’t see Julia.

Julia. Just thinking about her took my worries away. When I was with her, it almost seemed I was an Elite myself, partying and relaxing without having to earn a cent. I thought of the fall of her reddish hair as I had last seen it, and her intense green eyes, deep as a forest in midsummer. Her copper dress, showing off the graceful shape of her body and her unblemished legs. She was pretty, I had to admit. But she was also my best friend. If I couldn’t confide in her, I couldn’t confide in anyone. I had to tell her everything that I had just thought of. She was probably still at the party, but I didn’t care. Pulling over, I pulled my phone out of my pocket and dialed her number.

It went straight to voice mail. She must not have her phone with her.

I left a quick message instead. “Julia, it’s Blaine. When you get this, will you call me?”

Then I shut it, pulled back onto the road, and continued to mull over my predicament.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
767 Reviews


Points: 26330
Reviews: 767

Donate
Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:47 am
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...



Hello Rocket, Wolf here for another review.

I'm kind of disappointed of the length of this chapter, because there is so much more that can be built off of this small portion. At the part where he just realized he would have issues with a revolution, I was ready to scream out loud, "Ya think!?"

Towards the beginning, I am really confused. Why was Blain's mother's injury just now mentioned? I find it kind of randomly put in there, and if it were so important, why didn't it even cross his mind in the first chapter? It doesn't feel that urgent to me, and so why would he be thinking about that rather than his little revolution that he just basically risked his life to inform his friend about.

I really love that hint of romance thrown in there at the end when Blaine was musing about Julia. They seem to fit together well, and I feel that it could be possible for the two of them to carry out a revolution together, though I feel like this is something they're rushing into. He just declares it and decides to start two weeks later. I kind of find that unrealistic, because it doesn't feel practical. He needs to at least have an army before he goes around throwing out dates of planned battles.

Either way, I do still like this thinking time that Blaine has, and it kind of let's us into Blaine's head more. Can't wait to see more chapters! Keep Writing,
~Wolfare




User avatar
394 Reviews


Points: 16710
Reviews: 394

Donate
Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:59 pm
KnightTeen wrote a review...



Hello!

KnightTeen here for a review.

I haven't read or reviewed the other chapters yet, so I'm just going to review this on its own merit.


I thought that it was very well written, and nothing confused me even though I haven't read the other parts to this story yet. You had no grammar mistakes ( that I could see, that is) and I have to give you serious brownie points for that.

The one thing that I think that you could fix is not have so much narrative and add in what the main character is thinking rather than telling.

What are her thoughts and ideas?

Yeah, you tell us, but you don't show us.

But, that is the only thing that I noticed.


Great job and great piece!




User avatar
351 Reviews


Points: 11482
Reviews: 351

Donate
Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:48 pm
Kanome wrote a review...



Hello.
Kanome here with a review for you.

Even though I haven't read the beginning, I do believe this chapter is interesting.
It's sounds it's about high class v. low class scenario.

Nitpicks:
- I believe you shouldn't put 'and', 'or', or 'but' in the beginning of a sentence. So I think the removal of the word 'but' would be alright to you?

But I had to get home first, to tell my mom and my two sisters Elise and Emma that I just went out for a nighttime drive.


Other than that, this is an amazing chapter.
I will read chapters one and two as soon as I can.

Keep up the great work.
I can't wait to read more.





The fellow who thinks he knows it all is especially annoying to those of us who do.
— Harold Coffin