12+

The Remaining Survivors: Prologue

by ScarletDreams14

In year 2013, tragedy hits when 18 year old Fawn Shone's mother Amy Shone dies in a car-crash. A deadly unknown sickness spreads across the earth wiping out most of the human-population. Fawn must protect those close to her while fighting for her right to survive. An adventure full of excitement, hardship, and dark secrets to be discovered. Will you partake on this journey with us? Despite the awakening danger? Will you give up everything to uncover the dying truth? Now tell me...

Do you have what it takes to survive?

The Remaining Survivors

A Leader to Guide Us

Prologue

My footsteps plummet against the ground as I ran. Mud squishing between my toes and water splashed up soaking my jeans to the brim. My heart thudded against my chest, warm glistening tears streamed down my soft cheeks. The amber glow of a fire in the distance was like dawn as the sun rose from it's slumber.

The car came into view, my heart stopped. I gasped at the horrible sight, flames fought viciously aginst the raging wind for control. The smell of smoke and ash was suffocating, it only strengthened as I came closer.

"Mom!" I screamed. The thought of her laying there, her lifeless corpse cooking in the eternal heat. 

Black smoke making the view a hazy maze. I scrambled down the hill slope, tripping over my feet and tumbling downward. Crying out as I hit the bottom of the slump, I wasted no time in pulling myself up and continuing what seemed like a painfully long journey.

"Mom! Where are you!?" I could barely hear my own words, the roar of the flames was much louder, it sizzled and crackled like fireworks on a gusty July.

I ran toward the car peeking through the cracked window. She lay there coughing and gasping even though it was futile. I tried to crawl through the window but I couldn't fit. I smashed the window with my hand shards of glass scattering everywhere, wiggling through the window. The glass painfully scraped against my exposed skin. I didn't care, I had to get to her.

I crawled on my hands and knees towards my mother. It was like being in a roast-oven, the heat beginning to cook my skin slowly.

"Fawn... come here." Mother gasped with a fading voice.

Blood seeped through the corners of her bright red cherry lips. She was laying awkwardly in the tumbled car glass and metal fragments we're everywhere. Her skin was covered in a black residue from the smoke. I carefully curled into her pale fragile arms, my vision blurred as the tears began to swell up again.

"Don't worry Fawn your alright. Don't cry now." she said in a calm soothing voice.

She began humming softly, cradling me like a child, her arms where deathly cold as her life slowly trained away leaving her pale, despite the situation she managed a soft smile which seemed to bring a small shard of light into the depressing and tragic means.

"I love you forever and always I hope you and you brother know this." says mother in a silky voice, it was the kind of voice that could soothe your soul no matter what was happening good or bad.

"I love you too mama!" I cried, but it was too late.

"Mama?" I shook her,"Mom wake up! Please don't leave me here!" I screamed, my voice cracking under the pressure.

"Don't leave us! Come back! Please!" I coughed, inhaling some of the black smoke, it would only surely bring death.

I knew she couldn't come back. I knew she wouldn't wake up. More tears steamed down my face creating lines, washing away the black-dust that now covered me.

What will I tell Xander?

He's six years old and  he's already lost his mom.

We are all alone...

We have no father and now we have no mother. All this thought of loneliness built up and filled my heart with sorrow and dread. I wrapped my arms around her neck and sobbed into my moms chest.

I would forever remember that day.

The day I lost my mother, from then on my world was nothing but a cold, dark, blur.

End of the Prologue.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Yeah I know it was horrible, but I rewrote most of it from the original prologue.

Please review, tell me if you liked it or hated it. I don't care how harsh you are I need a little dose of the truth every now and than. Inform me of any grammar or punctual mistakes. Ideas are helpful too, don't be shy. Also this is just a rough-draft, all the mistakes with punctuation will be fixed before I get the book itself published.

~@ScarletDreams14

Writer, Artist, Student and Reader

rocketdog11 wrote a review...

Hello, hello! Rocketdog11 with a short review (honestly, almost everything that needed fixing has been said and it's just a really good start!).

So, first off, a death right away is a really gripping tactic! It got me interested in where this story was going to go off the bat, and you basically hit the ground running, and I like that. Secondly, you used "in media res" - in the middle of the action - even before the main story starts, and I thought that was good too. We have some idea of the shambles your main character's life is already in. So good job!

A couple little nitpicks, though.

"I love you forever and always, I hope you and you brother know this." Says mother in a silky voice, it was the kind of voice that could soothe your soul no matter what was happening, good or bad.

This sentence is good, although you did throw in some wild commas. Also, you don't need to capitalize "says". You only need to do that if you don't directly state a character saying something and instead put in an action that implies the character said it (usually called a bracket, but you probably knew that already).

He's six years old and he's already lost his mom

All this sentence needs is a period. It's not terribly important and that's probably just me, but I just wanted to point this out as a cautionary.

However, as I said before, it's a really good start, and I am looking forward to the installments that come after this.

Cheers,
rocketdog

Thanks for the review! I will fix that, I have this issue with commas I tend to have bad punctuation...

MaryEvans wrote a review...

I like the formatting. You defeated the editor well.

Well then,

“Mud squishing between my toes and water splashing up soaking my jeans.” A fragment. You have a hell of a lot fragments here. While one or two, here and there is nice, try to keep them at the bare minimum and use them only when necessary. Also too many –ings, here and in the paragraph in general. Look them over and see if all are necessary. Usually you want more –ed verbs to have a more direct, hands on narration.

Vary the sentence structure too. They seem too similar and therefore reads a bit like monotone. You want sentences of different lengths and formats to create better flow.

“down the tree slope,” Down the hill slope? Or just down the hill maybe?

“tripping on my own heels” stumbling into my own feet, or just tripping/slipping.

“She lay there coughing and gasping trying to breathe.” Coughing and gasping implies she was trying to breathe.

“I crawled on my hands and knees towards my mother. It was like crawling into a roast-oven” repetition.

Ok. You have nice imagery, and the story outlines well but you really need to look over that sentence structure. You probably wrote and rewrote this a few times, or at least read it a few times, so it would be hard to get anything more out of it for now. I’d say leave it. 1-2 weeks at least. Then come back and read it over and the discrepancies will surely stand out.

ThankYou! I appreciate this a lot, and I did notice a few mistakes I'm not a quality writer and I'm rather inexperienced I'll fix it.

MaryEvans says...

It's ok. You can't expect to be perfect right off the bat. That's why we keep writing no matter what :P And as I said, sometimes taking a break is the cure. Just keep writing the story, you can go back and fix things later.

Your advice was really helpful and I am currently fixing the grammar and punctuation issues. I'm not really sure if I'll write anymore of this because I still have an entire book to write and I can't keep going back and editing.

Kanome wrote a review...

Hello.
Kanome here with a review for you.

Honestly, this prologue made me feel sad in the end. A death of someone important hurts the heart deep. I don't know how it feels yet, but I don't want to know.

Nitpicks:
- I believe should insert the word 'and' in this sentence. This is a run-on sentence, which is bad to put it as. Like this:

The car came into view, my heart stopped, and I gasped at the horrible sight.

- Also, this is a question while yelling, so you should put a question mark with the exclamation point.

"Mom! Where are you?!"

Other than that, this is an amazing story so far.
I can't wait for the next chapter update. Keep up the great work.

Also, kudos to you and your friend also.

ThankYou so much! I'll take word to your advice! Oh and do you watch Swords Art Online?

Kanome says...

Yes, I do. At least, I am currently watching it.

Also not really sure if I'll write more of this mostly because I have an entire novel to write and I can't keep going back and editing.

TheCrimsonLady wrote a review...

Hello, love! Aurora here for a quick review.

Hmm. Nitpick first.

My footsteps trampled against the soggy ground as I ran. Mud squishing between my toes and water splashing up soaking my jeans. Heart pounding against my chest, warm glistening tears streamed down my soft cheeks. The amber glow of a fire in the distance was like dawn, as the sun rose from it's slumber.
My footsteps trampled against the soggy ground as I ran. Mud was squishing between my toes and water was splashing up, soaking my jeans. My heart was pounding against my chest, and warm glistening tears streamed down my soft cheeks. The amber glow of a fire in the distance was like dawn as the sun rose from it's slumber.

The car came into view, my heart stopped, I gasped at the horrible sight. The flames fought viciously aginst the raging wind for control. The smell of smoke and ash was suffocating, it only strengthened as I came closer.
The car came into view, and my heart stopped. I gasped at the horrible sight. The flames fought viciously aginst the raging wind for control. The smell of smoke and ash was suffocating, and it only strengthened as I got closer.

Lots of missing contractions and commas like this.

Your pacing was a bit fast in this piece. More description would slow it down and add to your drama factor. I liked what you did at the end there with her thoughts. You switch tenses a lot, so I think some editing would help this along a lot.

Keep persisting, love.
Aurora

Alrighty, thankyou Aurora! I'll fix it ^^

I sleep with reckless abandon!
— Link Neal