"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

by Renard

Just minds
Trying for fairness
But we're just minds

Sight Deciphers
Without which is
Our please to ignorance

Wrongly trusted
We listen mutely
I'm holding to traitors

Speak Poetry
We can absorb
But don't make sense

Truth stands
Our slightly need
Devours all of temperament

To understand
You'd need eyes
Or a seeing mind

Uncover injustice
Commit no evil
The world will turn

Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:05 am
Unique wrote a review...

For some reason I feel like this is my life, if that makes sense... :D

The last line "The world will turn", is a bit like my book. In my book the girl has a tattoo of a circle behind on ear and a snowflake behind the other. The circle stands for life. That life will move on no matter what happens, and the snowflake for difference. but your case the circle is more like the world turning. I don't no if it is just me, but that line means something more then the world just turning. I do believe that is what you intended.

Good job!

Aley wrote a review...

Hey,

I'd like to start out with saying that I'm not one for the poetical in sentence structure unless it serves a specific purpose. I like my poems to read smoothly like sentences in prose, but I want it to have deep enough vivid language that the connotations and vocalization of the poem is elegant and poetic. It's not a double standard, just a high one. That being said, this is not my favorite style of poetry, but I do recognize that it is a style and your choice.

I think you have some really good ideas in here, like "Speak poetry/We can absorb" which to me says that we need to write poetry clearly so that we can actually understand the meaning without much difficulty, which works in that case. I don't really agree with "but don't make sense" because poetry should make sense. We're supposed to be able to understand poetry. Everything doesn't need to be a haiku where you have to figure out how the two parts relate.

I don't think the words make enough sense when you say "Wrongly trusted/We listen mutely/I'm holding to traitors" because what happened to the others? How are 'you' holding to them? This doesn't really follow a chronological series of events, or at lest, it doesn't seem to. Someone is trusting other people when they shouldn't, and they listen without talking up, then they're holding the traitors to what? Where did that word even come from? Who was the traitor? Was it the other side of the we? Then why were we both listening silently instead of just "you" while I am the traitor "you" are talking about?

I also think you need some work with your diction in the second stanza's last line "our please" just doesn't really make sense unless you were going to go with something like our "please" to ignorance, like asking ignorance for something, please? It's kind of odd.

I'd say you have some other places that sound odd to me too, like the declarative sentence "but don't make sense" but I don't really think I need to point it out again.

Overall I think the poem is alright. It's not my style, so I can't really say that much about the style of it, or the flow. I would say that I don't mind your choice to go without most punctuation. You might want to try going without caps too, just see how it looks, and then probably put them back.

I really like the last stanza, The message behind it is strong and clear. The others, well I'm not sure XD
That's all I really have for you, sorry.

Aley

Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:03 am
JayeCShore wrote a review...

Hi, J.C. here for a review!

I must say, I think the title of this poem is the best part. Seriously, though, if everyone stopped and thought about it, and applied it, life would be so much better.

Jumping right into the review now, I think I'll spice it up and take each stanza one at a time.

Just minds
Trying for fairness
But we're just minds

I think this works great as a first liner (aka. stanza.) "Hey, we're all human. Some of us may have super powers, (Chuck Norris *cough, cough*) but in the end, we're all just human. An important aspect to remember.

Sight Deciphers
Without which is
Our please to ignorance

The last two lines here are a bit hard to understand, what with the word "please" in there. It's a verb turned noun here, which is always fun in a poem, but a bit cryptic. I'd appreciate any of your own personal insight here so I can better understand it, though I believe you are trying to say that we revolve around what we see, whether it be physically or mentally or whatever. "Seeing is believing."

Wrongly trusted
We listen mutely
I'm holding to traitors

Again, a bit hard to understand. At least, I'm not sure if I'm interpreting it correctly. I always think poems like this should have their own "Definitive Guide" written by the author, so we can understand it :D

In any case, "We watch others taking actions they shouldn't be, but we follow suit, because it's the thing to do." That's what I get out of it. The last line tells me that you're disagreeing with this "norm" and sticking to the rebels who are out there breaking the code.

Speak Poetry
We can absorb
But don't make sense

This stanza was very beautiful, to me. I don't know how many times I've read something, literally or metaphorically, that was a bunch of gibberish and crap, but people loved it because it pandered to them. It didn't ask any questions. It didn't force any thoughts. Everyone thought the new Superman movie was amazing, but all I saw was a bunch of overly buff dudes punching each other through buildings over, and over, and over again.

Pointless.

Truth stands
Our slightly need
Devours all of temperament

Again, hard to interpret. I would put a period after the first line, to separate it out on its own. The truth stays, even if the word means something different after a few hundred years. But our desire to "fit in," "be right," and "get some" discount all of the originality and differences we have. Everyone wants to be the same, so no one ever feels awkward.

To understand
You'd need eyes
Or a seeing mind

I don't know if you are religious or not, Christian or not, but this reminds me of when Jesus Christ said "He who hath ears to hear, let him hear." The part about the "seeing mind" is, though a bit cliche, so true and so right for the poem, which has a title about eyes after all. Pretty self explanatory as well.

Uncover injustice
Commit no evil
The world will turn

This stanza just didn't seem to fit for me. The last line is okay, if a bit shallow for the intensity of the poem. But the first two...they seem more like a call to arms, rather than a statement that, if we keep killing each other, pretty soon there's going to be nobody left to do the killing or be killed.

But then, I see where it does fit. Sometimes we need a kick in the butt, and surely the way to peace is not submission and pacifism. I believe we need to be actively engaged in the work of bettering the world, and the best way to do that? Service. Seriously, if everyone focused on serving everyone else, all the jobs would get done, everyone would be happy with everyone else, and nobody would have any reason to be upset.

Overall, beautiful poem about a very controversial topic that needs to be discussed a lot more. And like I said at the beginning, you definitely nailed it with the title.

Thank you BloodinkSeesFootage!

#D65F54 ">- JC -

You're welcome JC :D

JayeCShore says...

Lol, that's the first time anyone has said that after a review. But it was an honest thank you. I really appreciate getting to read things from other, like minded people.

That is very flattering. Thanks. :D

I think that was when I began to realize that reputation isn't everything. I should focus less about how others perceive me and more about what makes me happy. Because, in the end, I have to live with myself.
— Seraphina