Memorial IV: I Cannot Ease Your Pain

by WritingWolf

Note: This is the third poem in a series of five poems. I have written the poems so that they do not directly tie together, but connections can be made if the reader thinks about it a little. These connections will probably change a little from reader to reader. So I encourage you to read the other poems, and if you have the time tell me what connections you see.
Here are links to the other poems, first poem, second poem, third poem.

When someone takes the time to
thank those who have died
it only seem right that they should
pause a moment for the living.

While it takes strength
to lay down your life for another
it also take strength of a different kind
to remember the one who died for you.

To imagine their face and voice
and remember the time spent together.
The guilt of wishing it could've gone
the other way. That you could've died.

Thank you, mighty warrior who came home.
Thank you for remembering those who couldn't.
Thank you for risking being one of them.
Thank you for coming home.

I can't change what happened,
I cannot ease your pain,
I don't even know your name,
but I will always remember you.

Their names are etched
into your memory forever,
and your deeds in mine.
Thank you, keep being strong.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:55 am
Aley wrote a review...

Hello Writing Wolf,

First of all I'd like to say that I like what you're doing with the Memorial poems. I think it's a good way to work towards writing epics or other longer poetic works, and I think we need more of that in today's day and age, even though there's not really a market for it.

For this particular poem, I really like your message, to remember those who are still fighting now, or who have come home to try to live as civilians. This particular poem doesn't just seem like a poem about veterans though. You have a deeper touch to it because of the second stanza. I'd like to look at that with you.

While it takes strength
to lay down your life for another
to remember the one who died for you.

When I first read that, I wasn't exactly sure who you were talking to as "you" because the soldiers didn't just die for each other, but for the lives of those they were protecting, us, the civilians. I didn't really catch on that this was directed at them until I got to the fourth stanza. It's because of the last two lines. I think you could make this section of the poem clearer by breaking up the one long sentence into shorter sentences so we don't get so many ideas at once. Either that or use some commas. You could also use "before" or "in front of" or "your friends" or "your allies in arms" because having "the ones" seems rather impersonal if we're talking to soldiers.

However, this also gives it a nice juxtaposition because you could be talking about someone who's lived through cancer, a car crash, or some other traumatic event while others did not.

I think you also need to work on making this less of a personal thanking you, and more of a universal thanking you. To me it just sounded like an individual breaking down in emotions as they got beyond the third and fourth stanza, but they forgot to take me with them! If you try to imbed more of the "us" and "we" aspect of this, then we'll be along for the ride. Either that, or rewrite it to do more showing of how we can help them, or what will make them feel better in your opinion, like write this from the soldier who came home's point of view.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I hope it's helpful!

Aley

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.
— Robert Brault