Terrible Maths

by deleted3

I am ninety percent happy

I dance

I laugh

I sing

I indulge

But there is the ten percent

That ten percent is you

You won’t talk to me

So even now

Like terrible maths

Ten percent is becoming greater than ninety

AdmiralKat wrote a review...

I like the general idea of this essay but I think it needs to be more smooth. You should elaborate on the idea a bit more and have more transition words. I advice you put something in this poem like 2 plus 2 is 5, to me now. Of course, you should phrase that better but you get my point. I think also you should have more better grammar(but I can't say that I have great grammar). Overall, I love the poem, I can really relate to this poem. I am terrible at grammar and I love math.

BrumalHunter wrote a review...

Greetings, once again.

One of the things I love about poetry is that you never know exactly what to expect. If one were, for example, to judge this poem just by its title, one would think it was about someone's opinion of how terrible a subject mathematical science is, when in fact the theme is so much more than just that.

I see that the first five lines lack any full stops, as well as the last three. In poetry, such grammatical restrictions are usually null and void, but seeing as you have used it in three of your lines, three from below, it is a little disturbing. I suggest rather removing all of the full stops in your poem, because if you start adding punctuation, you need to add it throughout the entire poem and ensure it is correct.

Speaking of punctuation, here is a list of six rules concerning comma usage:
1. We use commas to separate words or phrases in a list.
2. Commas indicate where one phrase or clause ends and another begins.
3. Additional information, that could have been inserted in brackets or between dashes, may be separated from the rest of the sentence by a comma or commas.
4. We place commas before and after words such as however and nevertheless.
5. Introductory words or phrases are separated from the rest of the sentence with a comma.
6. Avoid using a comma between two main clauses[color]; this is reffered to as the [color=red]comma splice error. Rather use a full stop, semi-colon or a conjuction.

I hope the above list helps!

As for your poem, it is an interesting and touching view on how miserable and melancholic one feels when someone you love or on whom you have a crush, takes no notice of you. I especially admire how the single "But" halfway through the sentence can swift the mood of the poem in entirely the opposite direction. Many people can also identify with your writing, which makes it all the more powerful.

I congratulate you on another well-written work. :)

Rating for this text: three and a half stars (very good)

deleted3 says...

Once again, thank you for your review, James!

I was aware of the random punctuation and decided to leave them there until someone advised me what I'm meant to do with them. Boom, they're gone! I don't consider myself a poet, but I do burp up some poetry on occasion, without a clue if it's any good haha. Judging by the responses, I suppose this attempt wasn't so bad :-) I was grappling with the strange nature of emotions, where even if one's day is ninety percent perfect, one small downer can sink your ship of optimism. How do I deal with that? I write poetry of course ;-)

Thank you for the useful comma tips (copy/pasting). I will put them in my literary toolkit.

BrumalHunter says...

I am happy to have been of service! :D

ThePatchworkPilgrims wrote a review...

Greetings etherealember!

I don't usually review poems, but because maths has always had a special place in my heart, I decided I should give this a shot.
First of all I think your vocabulary suits this piece very well. I can't really comment on grammar (being afraid I'll lead you off a cliff), so I won't.
This piece actually describes the phase I'm going through at this point in my life.I really like this girl in my class (including the maths class), but just as we start connecting, she gets distracted and forgets that I'm even there. You did a marvelous job by converting that feeling into a poem.
My final comment on this poem only requires one word: Brilliant. Therefore I am rating this poem 8.5 out of ten.

Sincerely,
The Wandering Wizard

deleted3 says...

Hi Wizard

I'm glad my poem compelled you to stray into unknown territory! I didn't have the highest expectations for this piece; I don't claim to be an expert poet by any stretch. I do however like to use the art form as a way of expressing deep feelings in as few words as possible - as opposed my usual rambling diary format. The idea is that I allow more readers to tap into the feeling, and it looks like I did ok in that aspect!

I will take your 8.5 and add it to my ninety percent :-D (worse maths hehe)

thundereagle wrote a review...

I can relate to this. I'll be in class or something, chatting it up real good with a girl, making her smile and laugh ( which is rare me being the most awkward person to walk the earth) and i will be all happy and feeling good about my self.... then the next time i see her its like we've never even looked at each other. It's very irksome indeed. nice poem ma'am.

deleted3 says...

Glad you found something to relate to, thunder! I knew I wasn't alone in feeling rejected... I especially wanted to portray how that one small act can spoil the rest of your good mood.

I am sure you're not half as awkward as you think - even so, we all have an awkward phase that we grow out of. Whether or not we change what we do is irrelevant, we just grow more comfortable in our own skin :-)

thundereagle says...

ok cool

Find wonder in the everyday, find everyday language to articulate it.
— Maurice Manning