z

Young Writers Society


16+

The Roads of Marceris Ch.9 (1/2)

by DudeMcGuy


Warning: This work has been rated 16+.

{NOTE: So, it's been too long since I updated this story. A quick recap : The story began with Juliana traveling with her older brother Radi and her grandfather Dyne. They journeyed to the capital city of Melliark (which they finally reached in the last chapter) so that Juliana could study healing magic at the church there and because Radi was drafted into the military (to his delight). Juliana and Radi's father is a war hero, which has caused Radi to become obsessed with becoming a soldier from an early age. While travelling to the Capital, Dyne picked up a quiet young man named Lucian (MC #2) on the road.

Wanting to help him, Juliana learned that Lucian recently lost his mother, and that he wishes to join the military in an attempt to find his older brother Baldren (the last of his family he has left). Juliana learned that Lucian is a dragoon, a human who lives alongside dragons and makes a magical pact with them to "bond" with them and gain enhanced strength and abilities. But Lucian has never made a pact with a dragon because his family (father, eldest brother, and three dragons) was killed by the Marcerian Military and he, his mother, and Baldren were forced into hiding. Lucian bears the mark of the dragoon on his forehead, which he conceals with a red headband at all times. Only Juliana knows about Lucian's past, and she swore to keep it a secret. The story picks up shortly after the last chapter, the first afternoon in the capital. (phew, I think that's gist of it) }

Chapter 9 – Expectation

Lucian sighed as he stared at the church of Tesi from across the busy cobblestone street. I should have gone in with her, he thought. Why didn’t I? Why did I refuse? They brought me all this way and I wouldn't even go inside with her.

He looked up at the steeple as the bells began to ring in unison. The large wooden chapel doors flung open as dozens of school children ran shoulder to shoulder from the entrance. The young students smiled and laughed as they skipped down the smooth stone steps towards their parents below.

Should I go in now? But what if I can’t find them? I wouldn’t even know where to look. Lucian held his gaze on the doors until the last of the children left the church, hoping that Juliana and Dyne would follow.

Radi leaned against the side of the wagon and tapped Lucian on the shoulder. “Are they coming out?” he asked as he wiped his already-clean sword with a lightly stained cloth.

Lucian let out a frustrated sigh. “No. I don't see them.”

This is ridiculous,” Radi groaned. “How much longer are they going to take? It’s been over an hour!”

Lucian picked up a small bucket full of hay and carried it to the front of the wagon. “Juliana said they might have to wait that long before they see him.” He gathered a handful of the dried fodder for the horses to feed on, and they did not hesitate to eat straight from his hands.

I thought she was joking! At this rate we’ll be lucky if we even make it to the barracks before sundown.” Radi shook his head as he sheathed his blade and tossed it onto his blanket inside the wagon. "Dammit! How long does it take to say hello and come back out? We don't have time to waste like this!"

I should try to calm him down, Lucian thought. He'll quarrel with Dyne again if he's like this when they return. Lucian tried his best to ignore Radi's irritated ranting as he thought of how he might change the subject. The answer came to him as the horses licked the last of the straw from his palm. “Hey, Radi?”

What?” Radi snapped.

You never told me what you thought about Nirune castle.”

Radi turned to Lucian and stared at him in disbelief. “Yes I did. I told you when the fog lifted this morning."

"Oh, right," Lucian said scratching his head. “Well, um, what do you like best about it?”

What I like best?" What kind of question is that?" Radi rolled his eyes. "I told you already. It’s- I mean, just look at it!

Lucian set the empty bucket between the horses and followed Radi to the backside of the wagon. He brushed his hand against his leg and looked to the west at the immaculate white castle. Lucian held his hand over his brow to shield his eyes from the late afternoon sun, which already began its decent behind the towers surrounding the palace.

Once hidden behind the thick morning fog, the royal fortress was now visible from far beyond Melliark's outer walls. The proud structure sat high atop the massive cliff, with its enormous fortifications dwarfing even the largest buildings in the city below and casting a shadow that nearly blanketed the entire western half of Melliark.

A series of rounded marble steps narrowed towards the palace entrance, surrounded by jewel-encrusted stone pillars supporting a pearl white terrace directly above. The massive steel gates proudly brandished a silver engraving of the Marcerian crest. The enormous symbol, visible to Lucian even at the far side of the city, showed a lone mountain with two sides. The left slope appeared frozen and bare under the sun, while the opposite side depicted a green and flourishing landscape under the stars.

You expect me to favor one part over another?” Radi asked with a chuckle. “It’s the most magnificent thing I've ever seen. And finally seeing it for myself after all these years is far better than even Father’s descriptions.” Raid pointed to the castle towers. "How high do you think they go?"

"I have no idea," Lucian answered as he looked up at the six white towers surrounding the castle. The dome-topped spires stood over twice the height of the surrounding walls, with each of them bearing the dark violet and silver flags of Marceris hanging from every window. But a seventh, central tower stood even taller than its neighbors. With a base more than four times as wide, the citadel seemed to pierce the clouds above, with the largest of the national flags displayed with pride and grandeur at its summit. Lucian found the sight to be both awe-inspiring and intimidating. “But you’re right, Radi. It’s incredible.”

Seeing that should be enough to make any man willing to take up his sword for Marceris," Radi said. "Well, any man worth his own breath. Don't you agree?”

I suppose.” An awkward silence came between them as they stared at the castle. Lucian eventually turned to Radi. “Um, what do you think of the house Zaine rented to us?”

Both bedrooms are very small,” Radi said as he turned and walked back to the wagon. “But I don’t plan on spending much time there anyway. It’s a place to sleep that we can afford, so that’s good enough.”

I feel the same as you, but Juliana didn’t seem pleased.”

Ha! Of course not. She’s been pampered her whole life back in Panelsca. Our home is much larger than Zaine's little cottage.”

I see,” Lucian said as he returned to the horses.

Give her a few days to get accustomed to it. She can’t complain since the old man gave her the room with the bed.”

Right, Dyne said the three of us are sleeping in the room with the small window.”

The three of us? We’ll see about that,” Radi muttered.

What do you mean? You’re not going to sleep in the dining room are you?”

No, I mean-- never mind.” Radi chuckled to himself before joining Lucian near the horses. “Come on, Juliana,” he groaned. “We don’t have all damn day!”

------------------------------------------------------------

Juliana sat quietly beside Dyne on a pew near the front of the chapel. A few other visitors sat quietly on the benches near them as a young boys’ choir rehearsed behind the podium. But the peaceful sound of the familiar hymn did nothing to raise her spirits.

Why wouldn't he come in with us? Juliana wondered as she stared at the mosaic tile floor. He said he believed. He prayed with me yesterday. So why didn’t he--

Julie,” Dyne whispered as he nudged her.

Hmm?”

Who are those men on the windows?”

Juliana looked to the stained glass windows on the wall to her right. Each piece of art depicted an elderly priest aiding the poor with food, clothing, or prayer. The afternoon sunlight shone through the glass, scattering rays of colored light onto the bench beside them.

Those are the former leaders of the church,” she said. “Father Alamas is near the door, Father Hieren is behind the chandelier there, Father Ryliem is the one to the right of the choir, and Cima The Prophet is on the large window at the front, behind the podium.”

Interesting,” Dyne said as he ran his fingers through his long gray beard. “And what about the others?”

Um, I’m not sure about all of them.” She pointed to a window on the left wall and let out a deep sigh. “I think that one is Father Geren.”

What’s wrong, Julie? Are you nervous?”

No, I just… I wanted Lucian to see this too. Why didn’t he come inside with us?”

You only just met him a few days ago," Dyne said. "He didn't look comfortable when you tried to lead him by his hand.”

“No, that can’t be it. I already touched his ha--” She stopped herself and looked back at Dyne, who covered his wide smile and looked away.

I see,” Dyne said with a chuckle.

It’s not what you think, Grandpa.”

“Really? You don’t like him?”

“N-No. I didn’t say that.”

Dyne laughed behind the crescendo of the choir. “I thought so!”

“Oh Grandpa, it isn’t like that.”

You don’t have to hide it from me, Julie. You know I won’t tell Radi.”

I’m not hiding anything! I--” Juliana silenced herself as she heard the sound of footsteps against the floor behind her.

Excuse me, Miss Karis?”

Juliana stood immediately and turned to see the same middle-aged woman who greeted them when they entered. “Yes?”

Father Halvard will see you now," the cleric said. "Please come with me.”

Juliana nodded as Dyne stood from the bench. They followed the cleric into the east wing of the cathedral.

"Julie," Dyne whispered to her from behind. "This won't take long will it? You know we shouldn't linger any longer than we need to."

"It'll be alright, Grandpa." Juliana whispered over her shoulder. "You said you've never been inside before. I don't think anyone will recog--".

"Do you have any questions?" the woman asked.

"Uh, yes," Juliana replied. "What are these rooms on the right used for?"

"Those are the beginner students’ classes." The white-haired woman continued to guide them, giving brief explanations of the various studies, classrooms, and prayer chambers. The cleric pointed to her left as they entered a narrow hallway. “This is where you will begin next week, Miss Karis. These three classes are for both advanced healing training and Aeda studies.”

Juliana stood on her toes and peered through the window of the classroom's wooden door. “So, I passed the exams?” she asked softly.

The cleric smiled and nodded. “Oh yes, Miss Karis, you scored very well. We've had your results for several weeks now. But please don’t be complacent. You’re entering the year over three weeks late, so your classmates will already be well ahead of you.”

Juliana surveyed the small class of nearly two dozen young teenagers. The white-haired youths sat in silence, focused on taking notes from their texts as the instructor paced the aisles between their desks. Juliana looked away and followed behind the cleric again. “Thank you, I’ll do my best to catch up with them.”

I'm sure you will, Miss Karis." The woman continued only a short distance further before she stopped and turned to her right. She pointed to an already opened, small wooden door. "This is Father Halvard’s chamber. Please wait for him to address you before speaking.” The cleric knocked on the side of the door and motioned for Juliana and Dyne to proceed.

Thank you,” Juliana whispered as she bowed.

My pleasure, Miss Karis.” The cleric smiled and left them.

Juliana stepped inside and surveyed the room as Dyne ducked under the low doorway and followed slowly behind her. The small, circular study was lined with bookshelves standing nearly as high as the ceiling; each one packed with texts, scrolls, and loose papers so that no space was wasted. A wooden ladder rested against the bookshelf to the left of the doorway, beside additonal texts stacked shoulder high on the floor. My goodness! Juliana thought. How could one person ever read all of these?

Light entered the room from two small windows opposite the doorway, but it was not enough to provide adequate lighting for reading. Juliana noticed two large candles on the desk ahead of her; which cast two thin shadows of an elderly man sitting opposite of the door. She looked down to see puddles of wax on the stone floor dripping from the candles on the table. He's probably had them lit all day, she thought.

The thin, balding man marked the page in his book and slowly stood from behind the large wooden desk in the center of the chamber. “Who is it?” he asked. The man's arm shook against the side of his chair as he gained his balance.

Juliana stepped forward. “Hello, Father Halvard. It's Juliana Karis, and this is my grandfather, Dyne Remker.”

Oh, Juliana!” the priest exclaimed. “Welcome! I’ve been expecting you. Wait there for just a moment.” Halvard felt around his desk, grasping for something that eluded him. “Where did I leave that cane?”

It’s on the floor there,” Dyne said as he pointed to the staff.

Halvard smiled. “I’m afraid you’ll have to be more specific.”

His vision is failing him,” Juliana whispered to Dyne. “It’s on the floor in front of the desk, Father,” she said.

Halvard gingerly moved around the desk and felt for the cane with his foot. “Ah, there it is. One of the children must've accidentally knocked it over.” He crouched and retrieved the walking stick before limping over to them. The priest smiled as he breathed heavily while leaning with both hands against his cane. “Let me have a look at you, Juliana.”

Juliana straightened her posture as Halvard rested his hand gently on her shoulder. She could feel the priest's weight as he leaned against her with his lightly shaking arm.

Halvard nearly came nose to nose with Juilana in order to see her. “My, my, Juliana!" he exclaimed as he squinted at her. "The little girl from Panelsca certainly has grown in seven years. You look much like your mother."

“Oh, thank you," Juliana giggled. "You flatter me, Father Halvard.”

Ha ha! There's no need to be so formal, Juliana. Call me Rhogim.” He lifted his hand from her shoulder and extended it to Dyne. “Mister Remker was it? Is that right?”

Yes,” Dyne replied as he shook Rhogim’s hand. “It’s a pleasure to finally meet you, Sir. Juliana always speaks very highly of you.”

Rhogim smiled and turned to Juliana. “Does she? Hmm, but she didn’t mention my handicap until now it seems.”

“You told me those things aren’t important, Fa—uh, Rhogim.”

“Hmm, when did I say that?”

“Wasn't it, um?" She paused for a moment. "In the letter you sent for my twelfth birthday?”

Rhogim laughed. “I knew you would remember! It’s so wonderful to speak with you face to face again, Juliana!

"Um, right," Dyne interjected. "I'll wait for you in the chapel, Juliana. It was a pleasure to meet you, Rhogim."

"Oh, likewise, Mister Remker."

Dyne smiled and nodded as he turned and left the room.

Juliana reached out behind Dyne as he turned, but she reluctantly let him go without a word. Grandpa, Did you only come this far for me? She wondered.

"Did I make him uneasy, Juliana?"

"No. I think he's just uncomfortable here... in the church I mean."

"Oh? He still doesn't not believe then?"

Juliana lowered her head and frowned. "No. He doesn't."

"We will continue to pray for him then. Only the goddess can fully open his heart. We must trust in her." Rhogim gestured for Juliana to follow him to his desk. "Come now, Juliana. Sit with me. We have a few matters to discuss before you rejoin your grandfather."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
308 Reviews


Points: 31200
Reviews: 308

Donate
Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:16 am
View Likes
GoldFlame wrote a review...



Hey, Dude! I'm rusty on reviewing, so heads up, there'll be strangely-phrased phrasings in abundance.

He gathered a handful of the dried fodder for the horses to feed on, and they did not hesitate to eat straight from his hands.


I counted five prepositional phrases. That's loads, considering three's the limit. The opening sentence, too, but I didn't mention it because opening sentences are typically clunky, as their sole purpose lies in establishing the current situation. (Pretend that was worded better.)

Then the contractions, or rather, the lack of them. It disrupted the fluency, as opposed to contributing to a formal tone: "did not hesitate." When I was younger, I actually got so fed up with contractions I started using them at every opportunity, and I guess I developed a habit. It doesn't make my style any less casual, though.

One last thing. Structure. If it's a compound sentence and you're structuring the independent clauses the same way, usually the subjects coordinate: "he" and "he," but instead the narrator's got "he" and "they." That's fine, as long as there's notable contrast between the clauses' lengths, which there isn't, so I'd recommend combining them.

Tie it all together and: "He gathered a handful of the dried fodder and fed it to the horses, who accepted it eagerly." That's just a rough sketch, though, and grammatically speaking, it's incorrect (should be "all of whom").

“What I like best?" What kind of question is that?"


Accidently inserted a third quotation mark here.

It’s- I mean, just look at it!


Forgot a quotation mark here. That hyphen should also be doubled, since it wasn't used for stuttering.

Lucian set the empty bucket between the horses and followed Radi to the backside of the wagon. He brushed his hand against his leg and looked to the west at the immaculate white castle. Lucian held his hand over his brow to shield his eyes from the late afternoon sun, which already began its decent behind the towers surrounding the palace.


That's a lot to chew. The sentence structure doesn't vary throughout the paragraph; it's all active voice (subject + predicate + complete thought, and in the first two sentences, a coordinating conjunction, as well), but you alternated pronouns. It doesn't sound right, somehow. I also caught a spelling error there. "Decent" should be "descent." I'd recommend something along the lines of: "Lucian ... horses before following Radj to ... wagon. Brushing his hand against his leg, he looked ... castle. The late afternoon sun had already begun its descent ... palace." (I cut out bits so it wouldn't seem like I was just striving for points.)

Once hidden behind the thick morning fog, the royal fortress was now visible from far beyond Melliark's outer walls.


Tense trip-up here. It's an easy fix, though; just cut out "now."

he gained his balance.


Should be "regained his balance."

"It'll be alright, Grandpa."


"Alright" is used as a parenthetical phrase, like "Alright, let's go." "All right" is used like "It'll be all right."

will recog--".


Accidently inserted a period here.

“It’s a pleasure to finally meet you, Sir.


"Sir" is one of those exceptions to the rule, so it shouldn't be capitalized.

There was loads of internal dialogue (whatever you call it). Normally I only brush by it to correct the grammar, but since you used proper grammar, I can discuss its usage. Like dialogue, internal dialogue functions best without dialogue tags, and there's only one dialogue tag you can use, anyway: "[subject] thought." But in the end, it's more interesting reading it when it's woven into the narration. More difficult for the writer, sure, but that's what helps make it more interesting. Just watch out for things like "What a pretty sunset, he thought" or "My goodness! Julia thought." I'd say the only instance where this much internal dialogue's acceptable is a piece centered on telepathy.

Speaking of internal dialogue, the dialogue. The characters used slang and contractions and interjections, which contrasted a bit oddly with the narration. Like modern versus classical.

I also think the characters could use a little polishing, considering we're this far into the novel, but other than that, fantastic job. It flowed beautifully. I don't even need to mention basic elements like grammar and dialogue and pacing because your grammar was impeccable, your dialogue varied, and your pacing well-measured. I jumped in well past the exposition, but I still had a solid idea of what was going on, and that's huge. My eyes were glued to the screen, too; I was enraptured.

When reading the summary, I'll confess, I could see things tilting toward cliché. The writing eliminated any possibility, though. It was unique and high-quality in itself. (And c'mon, who doesn't love healing magic and training schools?)

Keep it up! Looking forward to more! :D




User avatar
463 Reviews


Points: 12208
Reviews: 463

Donate
Wed May 21, 2014 9:43 pm
View Likes
megsug wrote a review...



Hey Guy~
You asked for this forever ago. I kind of took your word for it and took my time XD

One nitpick before I get this started:

which already began its desent behind the towers surrounding the palace.


That summary was very helpful! I really like this religious focus you've got going on. Not many people do that in fantasy lit. I'm also enjoying almost all of your character interactions. Even just coming into it, I get an idea of how everyone of them is.

A problem or two though..
When you have dialogue, it's almost pure dialogue. There's not much else other than tags. I would like to get a little body movement and description. I know that I'm coming in late in the game, so maybe the characters don't need to be described as much but a little more description of the setting sprinkled between dialogue would be nice.
Otherwise, it gets a little boring to read, and the reader can get kinda lost. This is most prevalent in the last half of the section with Lucian and Radi and the first half of the section with Dyne and Juliana.

My second issue may be because I've come in the middle, but I'm going to bring it up anyways. In this scene Radi and Lucien are very hard to distinguish. I often got them confused while I was reading and had to check and recheck to see which was which. I think this could be fixed by more body language that is characteristic to them.

I love Dyne and Juliana's relationship. The scene in the church is a perfect snapshot of how they interact, I feel. It's very easy to tell exactly how they act towards each other.

That's all I've got for you. I'll move on to the last half sometime this week, hopefully.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, let me know.

Keep writing,
Megs~




User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Tue May 20, 2014 6:16 pm
View Likes
Deanie wrote a review...



Hey Dude!

Thank you so much for the chapters summary! I wouldn't know what to do without it, and well, let's just say this is the first time I'm diving into the middle of a story that I can remember. So, yes, that was very helpful. It is so nice of her Grandpa to travel all this way just for her, even though he is uncomfortable in the church. It seems a little strange that Juliana only now thinks, maybe my Grandpa is just coming for me? But maybe she has thought it before, and I wouldn't know. Correct me if there are some previous mentioned things that I am bringing up again!

these years is far better than even Father’s descriptions.”


This sentence seemed awkwardly phrased. I would put it is 'these years are even far better than...' etc. You could just simply cut the even from the sentence you already have there as well, if that works for you.

Also, I was wondering why, instead of him struggling to find the cane, Julaiana didn't just walk over and pick it up for him? Makes a lot more sense in my opinion, and saves a lot of trouble. I feel like we get the message that his sight is not the best ever after Juliana whispers it to her Grandfather. I felt the stuff afterwards was just to point it out, but really, because of how he "sees" Juliana later on is enough for us to get the picture.

"Oh? He still doesn't not believe then?"


I think you mean does not instead, or cutting out the not you have in the question. Besides from that though, perfect chapter. I would love to comment on plot and all, but don't feel qualified seeing as I haven't read it all. Just keep up the brilliant writing. I will read the next part!

Deanie x




User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Wed May 14, 2014 1:30 am
View Likes
Shady wrote a review...



Yo Dude!

I am sorry that this took me soooo long to get to. Life and kids and stuff. Anyway, review~

small bucket full of hay
~ I'm sorry, but I'm going to get all farm girl on you right off the bat. Having a "bucket full" of hay made me lift an eyebrow. It's not really a common thing to put hay in buckets-- they can be transported in bales, and it would make a huge mess if you tried feeding it from a bucket, because the stalks of hay get really long and stick together and generally don't stay put if you mess with other stalks. A horse would have it ripped out of a bucket in a matter of moments.

handful of the dried fodder.... licked the last of the straw from his palm.
~ hay, fodder, and straw aren't the same thing.

showed a lone mountain with two sides
~ Watch. A lone mountain and The Lonely Mountain sound fairly similar, and LoTR is pretty popular with fantasy readers.

Okay, Dyne's teasing Juliana was adorable. <3 that part.

The man's arm shook against the side of his chair as he gained his balance.
~ Nice detail. Well done. c:

“His vision is failing him,” Juliana whispered to Dyne. “It’s on the floor in front of the desk, Father,” she said.
~ I have two complaints with this part. The first is an anal matter of opinion, that you're welcome to look over-- but I don't like having sections where dialogue is both preceded and followed by a tag. I suggest an edit: "'His vision is failing him," Juliana whispered to Dyne before addressing the Father in a louder voice. 'It's on the floor...'" or something, to eliminate the second tag. It feels unnecessary to me.

My second complaint is on content. I mean, it seems fairly obvious that his vision is failing him-- before Juliana says so. If that's there for reader's benefit (rather than character building-- showing her nervousness or something) then I'd say you're safe to nix it. Also, why did she just tell him? Like, I know I'm not a typical girl-- but I would have been grabbing the cane for a disabled old man, not telling him where it was. Maybe put a bit of an explanation why she didn't get it for him? I dunno.

“Ha ha! There's no need to be so formal, Juliana. Call me Rhogim.”
~ Uh, this didn't really feel realistic. I mean, Rhogim is an epic name, and you should definitely work it in-- but if he's the master of the school (yes?) or otherwise in a position of authority, he wouldn't have invited her to call him by Rhogim... at least in my experience, he wouldn't have. With my teachers, when they don't want you being so formal, they order you to abbreviate their names to "Dr *first letter of their last name*" or something-- but it's disrespectful and out of place for a student to address her superiors by their first names.

Maybe you could have Rhogim tell Dyne to call him by his first name? I feel like that would be more realistic. Again, in my experience, my teachers introduced themselves to my mother by their first names and were perfectly alright with her calling them like that, where it would be inappropriate for me to do that. *shrugs*
~

Okay! Good chapter. I enjoyed reading it. :)

I liked the character building that you have going on here. It didn't advance the storyline very far, granted, but it did introduce us to Father Rhogim, and gave us more of a chance to get to know Lucian and Dyne, as they interacted with the already familiar Juliana and Radi. And... yeah. *nods* I don't really have anything else to complain about comment on.

Keep writing!
~Shady 8)





Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
— Jules de Gaultier