z

Young Writers Society



Asenath:Tears on the Sand Chapter 8

by Aravis10


VIII

The Pharaoh reclined by a low table covered in scrumptious foods. He was still skinny and somewhat pale, but the red and white crown of Egypt sat perfectly on his knowledgeable brow. To his right was his vizier. Asenath could tell that by his signet ring and gold chain with the Pharaoh’s engraving. But the vizier did not matter.

She bowed briefly. When she looked up, Senusret’s stare met her. She did not blush or cringe. On the contrary, she welcomed it. Just a look stirred up a man’s passion.

Sweet revenge.

“Come sit, Asenath. Eat! My vizier and I can’t eat all this!”

“My lord, I’ll do as you please.” She sat at the lower end of the table, at an acceptable distance from the Pharaoh. To her surprise, the Pharaoh did not stare for long.

He turned to his vizier. “Do you find the food enjoyable?”

“Yes. The pomegranates are a delicious luxury.”

The Pharaoh laughed. “Luxury! Now that you are vizier, you can have the second best of all Egypt has to supply. Pomegranates are a common food in the court, not a luxury!”

Asenath did not even look at the vizier as he replied, “Well, then, I think I’ll have pomegranates often.”

Senusret smiled.

What an ugly face!

He then looked at the sinking sun. “It is getting late, and I have a special night with a certain woman planned.” Then, he looked straight at Asenath.

Change your plans, Pharaoh. This night will be lonely.

“So, I should probably get to the point of this dinner. Zaphenath-paneah,” he addressed the vizier. “This is Asenath. She is the daughter of the high priest of Ra, the third most powerful man in Egypt. She has much influence and is, of course, not too bad to look at either. That is why she will be your wife.”

What?! The vizier’s wife!

She looked at the Pharaoh. He was completely serious! Then, she turned to look at this vizier, Zaphenath-paneah. She had not really looked at him at all that night. As she turned her eyes toward him, familiar eyes met her gaze. His expression changed from blank to remembrance.

Where have I seen him before?

He smiled. Asenath about fainted. It was the mysterious slave!

No! It can’t be.

Zaphenath-paneah spoke, “Thank you for this generous gift!”

The Pharaoh nodded knowingly. “I knew that she would please you.”

Asenath knew that, as the vizier looked at her, it was not with lust for pleasure. He looked only at her face. This left her confused.

Before she could think of anything to say, the Pharaoh spoke, “Scribe, take a decree. ‘Tomorrow, at the time of the first watch of the moon, Zaphenath-paneah, vizier to the Pharaoh, shall be married to Asenath, daughter of Potipherah priest of On.’ Seal it.”

Say something. “My lord!”

But it was too late. Zaphenath-paneah put his signet ring to the decree. It was sealed and could not be changed.

The Pharaoh looked at her. “You wish to speak?”

Asenath cast her eyes down. “My lord, I am honored.”

“As you should be! Zaphenath-paneah is a fine man. May the gods bless you with sons to please him. Now, I must find Khenemetneferhedjet,” the Pharaoh said with a twinkle in his eye.

As he left, both the vizier and Asenath bowed. Once the Pharaoh was gone, the vizier turned, bowed to Asenath with sincerity, and left.

Asenath walked back to her litter as in a dream. Two sides warred inside her. One side felt giddy and excited as she thought of the man’s eyes, smile, and his affectionate bow.

I wouldn’t mind being such a noble man’s wife.

But the other side was angry, bitter, and overall confused.

The Pharaoh didn’t want me for himself. But he looked at me like he did. I won’t even have that much power as the vizier’s wife! And I will have to see Senusret (She spit to one side) all the time. I will not love this glorified slave! Yes, I will marry him because there is no way out of it. But he does not deserve my love. Once Zaphenath-paneah feels that I won’t give him what he wants, he will marry another wife and leave me alone.

The excited side felt stabbed and disappointed. The proud side of Asenath won out.

This vizier or slave or… I don’t know won’t feel a touch of love from me.

#*#*#*#*# 

The next morning rose humid and stifling. Asenath felt like today her freedom was going to be taken away. She examined her vast paintings for the last time. A hot tear ran down her cheek. She knew that she was behaving like a child. This was rubbish compared to the finery she would live in with the vizier. Yet, she hoped that he might get tired with her and take another wife so that she might come back to his place. She ran her hand over the rough paint in the house wishing that she had never been born.

Oni ran in smiling and waving a scroll around. “My lady! A message from the vizier!” Oni’s eyes twinkled as she handed the scroll to Asenath.

“Oni, you are much too excited,” Asenath said sternly.

Oni looked disappointed and dropped her head. “Yes, my lady.”

Asenath turned her focus to the letter. She popped the seal and read:

“From the hand of Zaphenath-paneah to Asenath, fair and wise,

Sister, I am longing for this night. My heart yearns to speak with you and make you smile. Yet, you will find that I am a jealous lover. I do not wish to share my wife-to-be with any man. Therefore, I wish you to dress modestly for tonight’s feast and from now on. Your slave girl will know what to do. I have sent instructions for her. Until tonight.

Zaphenath-paneah

Asenath felt a little warmth in her cheeks. His writing was affectionate and kind. She had to remind herself, I refuse to love. She distracted herself by looking at the smaller scroll addressed to Oni. It was covered in strange markings that she could not read. Confused, she gave it to Oni.

Oni’s eyes grew wide as she received the scroll and read it.

“What does it say?” Asenath inquired. “Is it written in slave language?”

“No. It is written in Hebrew. It just says that you are to dress modestly.”

“Modestly. What does that mean?”

  “Don’t worry about it. You will understand soon. I have to go back to the market.”

#*#*#*#*#

While Oni was gone at the market, Asenath began to pack the few things she had in a chest. She puzzled over the man who was to be her husband.

Zaphenath-paneah. Meaning the god speaks and lives. Did his parents think that he was a god? Maybe he is a religious man. He will probably make me go to the temple. If I don't go, he could kill me. No. He did not seem like that type of man. Yet, he said he was jealous. Maybe he is also overly enthusiastic of his god, Ra or Osiris or Ptah. And what about him writing in Hebrew to Oni? How did she know Hebrew? What about him being a slave? What has happened to him over the past eight years? And what was all that about modesty? So many questions and no answers.

Just then, Oni arrived with a basket of clothes. “It was difficult, but I believe I found some clothes that will be to my lord’s liking.”

Asenath whirled around. “I need answers. Tell me, how do you read Hebrew?”

Oni went pale. “That is a sad story.”

“Tell me while we pack up. That is a command.”

“Yes, my lady. It was thirteen years ago. I was five and living in the beautiful land of Canaan. My family was part Hebrew/part Canaanite nomads and shepherds. My name was Eliora. One night, raiders from Shinar attacked our camp. I was carried off along with others of the camp. At age six, I was sold into slavery in Egypt and renamed Oni. I can hardly remember Canaan now, and I struggled to read the Hebrew note. Egypt is my home, and I am Oni. Don’t feel bad for me. Being a slave is the only thing that I am good at anyway.”

Asenath looked up from her task and beheld her slave with new eyes. For eight years, she had never thought much about her slave. But now, looking at Oni, Asenath saw no longer a bony, awkward girl, but a strong woman with bright, intelligent eyes and curved features. “How old are you?”

“I am eighteen, my lady.”

“Have you ever wished to marry?”

Oni blushed. “Sometimes.”

“Well then, my first job after the wedding will to make you a wife.”

“My lady! I…I am grateful!”

“But, you and your family must stay in my service.”

Oni bowed. “May it be so.”

"No more of this talk. We must prepare for tonight."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1007 Reviews


Points: 13831
Reviews: 1007

Donate
Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:51 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...



Timmy here :3

I feel like talking about Oni for a little while. Because she is important, and I don't think she is given enough attention. Not attention from Asenath as much as detailed attention. Like, I have always been curious as to what she looks like. Yeah, you gave us the stereotypical description of her womanliness. That just told me she was all grown up, but didn't tell me what she looked like at all. I would like a face that I can place on her character - something so I can see her. Because you've done a pretty good job on Asenath, although she could use some better describing, too (mostly we just get "Vision of Egypt" over and over from her). But with Oni, I know she's important, and she plays a big part in the book - probably second main character. I am just not getting what I want from her. And it's not in her character, her personality. I like both of those two. It's more on the focus with her.

Nothing is about her, but more so about Asenath. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. The first bit in the entire book where there was even the shortest snippet of the book about her was at the end of the chapter. And that wasn't enough, because it didn't actually tell me any more about her, or how she actually felt about it. That part of the chapter seemed rather empty, as both Therese and Jessie said. You have the dialogue sitting there, and that acts as like a foundation of a dialogue scene. But there are so many more pieces, so many intricate details, that need to be inserted in there to flesh the dialogue out. Character actions, taglines, thoughts, expressions. Their thoughts and actions play an immense part in all scenes, and in a scene such as this one, it would play an even bigger part. So, like when Oni tells Asenath that she is grateful, you could have her get on her knees (if she would do that), or perhaps tear up at her mistress' sudden kindness. Anything that would build up here character and the scene does wonders. And Asenath would reply and act in kind.

One more thing that I think should be worked on a bit is the depiction of Oni in the earlier chapters. I honestly thought she was about Asenath's age throughout the entire first chapters. And the idea that a ten year-old was the one holding Asenaths' hand while she told the news. Well, I didn't expect it and always pictured a girl the same age as Asenath. So I think you should work on describing her as far back as the earlier chapters, and then build it forward. It would help how we see her as a character, and help us follow her change.

Asenath saw no longer a bony, awkward girl, but a strong woman with bright, intelligent eyes and curved features.


I am going to be 100% honest. This sentence here should be taken outside and stomped on. Not necessarily because it's a bad sentence or anything, but because it has become cliché. Especially the bright, intelligent eyes - although that doesn't really belong there, anyway. If you think about it, you're describing her change there. So... was she not intelligent eight years ago when she was a bony, awkward girl? I did like the bony, awkward girl part, though. It established a solid image for me.

but I believe I found some clothes that will be to my lord’s liking.”


Something I am curious about.... Why is Oni calling him My Lord already? They aren't married yet, so it seems odd.

She ran her hand over the rough paint in the house wishing that she had never been born


You need a comma after house, but that doesn't matter much. You have this tendency from time to time to go and write a sentence like the sentence above... and then move on, without giving us an explanation. The entire part before that sentence was talking about her paintings, and leading up to her hope that he would grow tired of her. But this, this is concerning an entirely different thing altogether. When you throw such drastic measures in our faces, you need to show us a reason for it. When I read through the first parts, she was sad, she was... angry, but there were no feelings of despair in her. Not yet. And so it seemed out of place for that emotion to be there. I would edit it out, and find something else, but if it belongs there, you need to explain her emotions.

I think I have run out of things to say here. Yet again, I am excited about this, and now I know that there are going to be lots of changes going on. With Asenath and Oni. Both are going to go through probably difficult times for a while, but especially Asenath. She is always going down dark roads, it seems. Which is good! Keeps us anxious for her, wanting the best for her, and each moment having stuff flung at her yet again. You are one of the best authors I know when it comes to pulling your reader in, with all honesty. And your plot and characters are two of the biggest reasons. And Asenath is pretty much the perfect character for this book. I love and hate her at the same time, although I am loving her more and more as the book goes on.
~Darth Timmyjake




Aravis10 says...


Yes, I have realized how little attention I gave Oni in this book. She has more potential to add depth to the story. Thank you for your thoughts! They have been soooooo helpful!!! :)



User avatar
58 Reviews


Points: 4569
Reviews: 58

Donate
Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:35 pm
jessiethought wrote a review...



Hi again.

One confusion I had as I was reading was the passage of time. I was startled and confused to find that a whole evening of dinner had passed in between the beginning of the chapter, when Asenath first sits down to dinner, and the end of the dinner, when Senusret looks at the sun and says it's getting late. I didn't realize that time had passed. Maybe use more obvious language of time passing, like "After they had spent the evening blah blah blah...." Obviously not the blah blah part but you get what I mean. ;)

My other main suggestion would be to break up that long chunk of Asenath's thoughts into smaller, more manageable parts. One of the things that I've really enjoyed about your writing so far is the way you balance and intermingle Asenath's thoughts and feelings and the action of the plot. That huge section of thoughts just... I dunno... doesn't fit. I kind of had to wade through her thoughts. So I would suggest possibly mixing up the action a bit more with these thoughts.

Maybe extend the dinner scene a bit and intersperse the dinner conversation with these thoughts and questions. Then that would take care of my confusion about the length of time passing. You could use the dinner conversations to reveal her political position and lack of power and the awkwardness of this dinner... and also explain some of the clues that would make Asenath think he's a religious man or strict and wonder about how he switched from being a slave to being the right hand man of Pharaoh.

And yes, the dialogue at the end needs a bit of touching up. (I know you've realized that already. I don't want to be a nitpicking bore, but I hope you don't mind if I add my two cents.) What might help with that dialogue is describing what they are doing as they speak. Some of the strangeness there might come from the fact that we as readers don't get any description of their motives, thoughts, body language, pauses to think (or for other reasons), etc. (except for Oni's blush and bow). So we can't picture what they are doing, which is strange to us since people normally speak with body language.

Anyway, please forgive my long absence. I hope this is not the only review I get done for you today. :)

~ jessiethought ~




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 6836
Reviews: 440

Donate
Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:32 pm
Wolfi wrote a review...



Happy Review Day!
Yay! This chapter got more reviews!
A small little nitpick here:

She ran her hand over the rough paint in the house wishing that she had never been born.

All you need to do is add a comma after "house."
“It was difficult, but I believe I found some clothes that will be to my lord’s liking.”

Shouldn't this be my lady's liking?
This is so sweet! It does seem odd, though, that Asenath wouldn't know much at all about Oni, since she's been her only companion for several years now. I know that Oni is only a slave, but wouldn't their relationship bloom after being together for so long? This is just my opinion.
But like I said, it's so sweet that Asenath is going to find a husband for Oni! Oni deserves that after being so loyal to her for a good portion of her life.
And back at the meeting with Zaphenath-paneah... I'm happy he's back. I knew he was going to come back, but not like this. I'm excited to learn more about him and his personality.
Great job!


Image




User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 280
Reviews: 12

Donate
Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:34 pm
Kate98 wrote a review...



Hi! I really enjoyed this chapter. The plot seems to finally be picking up. I really like how developed Asenath (which you must tell me how to pronounce tonight) is becoming. you show her bitter and graceful sides well. the opposites do not seem to clash like one might think.


"Two sides warred inside her. One side felt giddy and excited as she thought of the man’s eyes, smile, and his affectionate bow.

I wouldn't mind being such a noble man’s wife.

But the other side was angry, bitter, and overall confused."

This passage came off as slightly impersonal. It sounded like two things were having a war inside her-bot that she was experiencing complex, conflicting emotions. maybe you could change it to: On one side she felt giddy..." I don't know if that is the best suggestion but its just a thought.

The other thing I noticed was that the thoughts and dialogue appeared very forced particularly the bit between Oni and Asenath. Some indication of their emotions and inflection could probably remedy this. I have also found that reading my dialogue aloud after taking a break from writing can help me find a way to make it flow better.

Sorry to be long-winded. I am looking forward to reading the rest in the future.
-Kate98




Aravis10 says...


Ug. Everyone has said something about the Oni/Asenath dialogue. That probably means that I need to change it. Yeah, when I read the tow side thing out loud to Abi, I wasn't sure about it. I like the idea, I just don't know how exactly to say it.



User avatar
401 Reviews


Points: 1658
Reviews: 401

Donate
Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:29 pm
View Likes
ThereseCricket wrote a review...



Hey there! Cricket here for a review!!

As always.. NITPICKS FIRST!!

NITPICKS

The Pharaoh reclined by a low table covered in scrumptious foods. He was still skinny and somewhat pale, but the red and white crown of Egypt sat perfectly on his knowledgeable brow. To his right was his vizier. Asenath could tell that by his signet ring and gold chain with the Pharaoh’s engraving. But the vizier did not matter.


Now in my experience I always felt that its better to start a chapter off with some thought instead of description. So maybe some thought instead of description.

Where have I seen him before?

He smiled. Asenath about fainted. It was the mysterious slave!

No! It can’t be.


Now I have noticed that you say something in dialogue and then you say something in thought, and you are rather consistent throughout the entire piece. How about mixing that up a little or something? Just a thought...

But it was too late. Zaphenath-paneah put his signet ring to the decree. It was sealed and could not be changed.


Not a nitpick. Just would like to say I'm glad I don't live in Egypt. That is very barbaric. lol, ouch!!

“What does it say?” Asenath inquired. “Is it written in slave language?”


What is slave language? Maybe I don't know because I haven't read the other chapters, but still.. I'm curious.

“I am eighteen, my lady.”

“Have you ever wished to marry?”

Oni blushed. “Sometimes.”

“Well then, my first job after the wedding will to make you a wife.”

“My lady! I…I am grateful!”

“But, you and your family must stay in my service.”

Oni bowed. “May it be so.”

"No more of this talk. We must prepare for tonight.


This whole part doesn't have very much emotion. I'm thinking maybe some thought or something is needed.

END OF NITPICKS

OK, I'm done!!

Ya know..Egyptian mythology is kinda one of my soft spots, so this hit me kinda hard. Very well done when it came to the way you portrayed your characters.

Keep writing!!




Aravis10 says...


I totally agree with the part about the beginning of the chapter. I broke up one chapter into two, so it has an awkward beginning. Slave language isn't a real thing, my character is just being blond. :) Thanks for your review!





ahhhh, I see. OK, well.. no problem!! It was really interesting!!



User avatar
557 Reviews


Points: 33593
Reviews: 557

Donate
Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:09 pm
Ventomology wrote a review...



Yay! You're back! Oh, how I missed you!
Okay, now I'm just being melodramatic. Onto the review!
Anyway, this is just a personal opinion, but there are way too many super short sentences. Mostly, we use short sentences (like, 3-6 word ones) sparingly, to add emotion to an idea. Get too many and... it sort of destroys the effect.
And I have this itty-bitty comment on the dialogue. I think that Asenath and Oni's speech when it's just the two of them should be different from how she speaks to the pharaoh and vizier. After all, she and Oni have been together for years; they know each other well enough that you could have some jokes between them, and be a bit laxer with the politeness. (Yeah, I know they're slave and mistress but still...)
Also, you might want to check through this piece again. There are a few little grammar mistakes (missing words, mostly).
Now then... for the fun part.
I love your plot twist with the vizier. I was definitely not expecting it, and the execution was PERFECTO! Asenath is still as vengeful and scheming as ever, I see, and you did a great job keeping her that way. She's just so unique as a character. (Maybe I should get behind someone like her next time I start a new piece...)
And just... all the foreshadowing that you scattered through here. The jealousy, the ambiguous way you described the pharaoh's actions, it all makes for so much possibility and mystery for us readers.
Very nice job, as always, and I look forward to the next part!
Ciao!




Aravis10 says...


I agree about the short sentences. When i was reading through it again today, I noticed that. The relationship between Asenath and Oni is difficult. I've never had a servant :) so I'm not really sure how the relationship would be. Oh, and thanks! I love surprising people!



User avatar
52 Reviews


Points: 2953
Reviews: 52

Donate
Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:31 pm
Aravis10 says...



I'm back! My life has finally slowed down for a few days. :) Sorry I've been gone for so long.





If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
— Anatole France