The Book Man, Chapter 1 (Revised)

by BluesClues

1 THE BOOK HOUSE

The locals called it the Book House.

It was a small house in the center of town. The outer walls were entirely made up of windows that afforded a view of the interior, which was almost entirely made up of books. The inner walls were constructed of tomes stacked in piles from floor to ceiling, back cover to front cover; the desk and bedframe and wall cubbies were made of books. Even the bookshelves were made of books.

The Book House had been a point of interest and favorite topic of discussion amongst the locals since its completion nearly six years ago. Newcomers, if they provided no interest themselves, were regaled with tales of the house and its elusive owner by the jolly (if inebriated) patrons of the Dragon’s Den Pub.

“You seen it yet?” the trash-collector asked one Thursday night at the Den. The newcomer in question, a balloon-artist from London, shook his head. “Just wait. Over on Cherry Street, across from the park. Can’t miss it. You can see right inside—big glass windows all across the front. Can even catch a glimpse of the bloke what lives there, if you’re lucky. I reckon I seen him myself, once.”

The bar patrons gathered close. The Book House’s owner was famously reclusive; they loved to exchange stories about him.

“What’d he look like, Spitz?”

“Tall fella, real tall but thin as a stick. Pale, like. Well, I ‘spose he don’t get out much, eh? And he’s got a big red beard, the loveliest beard you’d ever hope to see.”

His audience sat back again, shaking their heads. A bushy red beard on someone so bookish? He couldn’t expect them to believe that.

“He hasn’t got a beard,” one of the other patrons said, and then, leaning in toward the balloon-artist: “Don’t you listen to him. I’ve seen him myself, the man who lives in the Book House. He’s tall and thin alright, but clean-shaven as a newborn babe.”

“And his hair isn’t red at all,” said the local barber. “It’s black as night. As if he don’t look tragic enough, always in shirtsleeves like he was off to a funeral—”

The trash-collector eyed the other drinkers. “What’s this about shirtsleeves? He were wearing an old t-shirt and jeans, like I am now. And his hair was red, I tell you.”

The others shouted him down, but in truth the trash-collector had gotten perhaps the longest and best look at someone inside the Book House, out of the group at the Dragon’s Den that night. He was simply mistaken about whom he had seen. It had not been the owner himself, but rather the owner’s father, whose magnificent beard had remained steadfastly ginger until its wearer’s death half a year ago.

His son, however, was neither bearded nor ginger. He was as tall and skinny as his father had been, so the suits he wore for work had to be tailored to fit his lanky frame. But there their similarities ended. His hair was black and his eyes as pale and blue as an iceberg, though few people ever noticed his eyes between his glasses and the way he looked down when strangers passed by. He worked, as you might guess from his appearance, a rather dull job as a staff accountant, but the townspeople knew nothing about this.

“What’s his name?” the balloon-artist asked. “This bookworm of yours.”

“Abernathy, that’s what it says on the post-box,” the postmaster said. “C. Abernathy. Doesn’t get much mail, just bills and things. Not even a card for his birthday. Sad, I say.”

“All alone, poor bloke,” the barber said. “Don’t say much when he come in for a trim. Just please and thank you and how much will that be. Politest fellow you’ve ever seen, but it’s just not good for a man to be so alone in the world.”

Though largely unacquainted with the Book House’s owner, the townspeople were fond of him in the way small-town residents often become fond of a belligerent but untroublesome drunk. They believed their bookish hermit to be wealthy and eccentric, a classic recluse. Nonetheless, he was pronounced an oddity to the London balloon-artist.

“He’s a strange one, whatever he looks like,” the trash-collector said. “Only a weirdo would live in a house made of books. Seems an awful fire hazard to me. Not that it isn’t the prettiest little house you’d ever hope to see, but all the same—”

The balloon-artist thought privately he had seen much stranger things in the townspeople’s own park than a recluse whose house was made of books. He said nothing, however, preferring to nod at appropriate moments in the running commentary. A short while later, as the townspeople became increasingly intoxicated and their stories less coherent, the balloon-artist slipped out of the pub unnoticed and headed in the direction of Cherry Street.

Valkyria says...

This is a really cool introduction, and I love how you wrote this as a movie scene.

BluesClues says...

Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:46 pm
Lib says...

I probably made you're eyes go wide or I made you cringe or something I dunno but the title sounded super fun so here I am. TCG was crazy awesome so I'm here for more. :3

~Lib

BluesClues says...

Omggggg XD KEEP IN MIND I wrote this one a long time ago XD

Lib says...

Yessss 2014 omg xD

BluesClues says...

BABY BLUE

even though by "baby" I mean I was like 23 but shhh

Pretzelstick wrote a review...

Heya BlueAfrica, I admire you for being so dedicated for this novel. I believe that you are revising it for the third time, correct?

The locals called it the Book House.

I feel like you need to write something like:
"The locals of --------(town name) called it the Book House.
That's just my personal opinion so you can give or take.

Even the bookshelves were made of books.

That's so cool! ^^ But I'm wondering, how does this happen? How does it look like, architecturally? I would love you have something like this, but practically and logically speaking, what if I wanted to read one if the books that were made part of the bookshelves?

And he’s got a big red beard, the loveliest beard you’d ever hope to see.”

I feel like the word " lovely" doesn't really match a red beard. Just a slight fluncuate in your write choice. Perhaps if you wrote
"The gruffiest, most handsome, tamest, etc.)
But you're the author so do whatever you like.

I love that last sentence,it just catches my attention and makes me want to read on to see what happened. I really like the townspeople dialogue because it would and would flow this way,if someone was really talking like this. In fact,I could imagine these men sitting at my dinner table ;)

Really,that's all from me. I know that I usually write longer reviews,but I honestly don't have a lot to say about this chapter,since it's so well-written.

/pretzelsing/

BluesClues says...

Fine by me! I appreciate the feedback :)

Pretzelstick says...

Heya BlueAfrica, here I am just to comment that I have read this first chapters. I think that you have plenty and enough reviewers on this chapter, even though it's revised so I will move on to read the next one. I just have to say that I love love this idea and I already adore your writing style.

/pretzelsing/

BluesClues says...

Well, thank you :) As I warned you yesterday, there are a LOT of reviews (especially on the first several chapters, less as you get further along), but if you find anything you'd like to mention and get a few points for, I am all ears.

Because even though I'm revising AGAIN right now, you might come upon something I missed or wasn't sure about, so that can definitely help.

(Also let me know if you have anything you want reviewed in return, since this is looooooong.)

pretzelsing says...

OK lemme write some of my notes into a review ;)

MargoSeuss says...

Just leaving a comment. I love the idea of a book house. Very cool. I also love that you entitled some of your characters based upon their occupations. Like balloon maker. I have to say, the way you've described this Abernathy character is almost identical to the way my character Terance looks in my stories. I will be sure to read more of this and give you helpful reviews when you need them.

BluesClues says...

Thank you muchos :)

Carina wrote a review...

Hey, Blue! Reviewing from Team Plasma, and out of all of the possible novels I could have picked for the Elite Eight challenge, I picked yours. And I always want to review all the chapters chronologically in a novel, so it looks like I'll be doing my best to review till the very end! (Plus I've heard a lot about this novel, so I'm excited to start reading it.)

This chapter is short, sweet, and a perfect introduction to a book. I can already tell that the place of books is a mysterious place with a mysterious man and his father, so good job on that. The hook could have been stronger, but it reeled me in and made me more excited, so that's all that matters.

I loved the first paragraph with the descriptions of books, and I think it's a perfect opportunity to bring in sensory details—especially smell. Oh man, the smell of new or old books? They're unlike anything you've ever smelled, and I'm sure you're probably bouncing around and agreeing. Sensory details are so important to make the story breathe and pulse alive, and to have that part of the hook would be phenomenal.

I liked the initial confusion of the red-bearded and dead-as-night descriptions. It brings out the mysterious atmosphere, because the people in the town don't know their facts quite well either. It makes the readers want to read more and answer the question at the end of chapter one: "Who is the Book Man?"

However, after their little spiel, the descriptions turned into exactly that—descriptions. Avoid long physical descriptions whenever possible, especially at the beginning of the novel. Since the characters and story are new at the beginning, the readers will most likely not remember the descriptions, and they might get a bit bored anyways. Instead, let out a few physical treats at a time, and stretch it out for a few chapters. It's much better than info-dumping.

That's all I have for this chapter, so onto chapter two! Keep writing.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:50 pm
myjaspercat says...

Wow this is like so amazing. I really like it a lot. You like literally drew me in right from the start and I don't normally say that for most stories. I CANT WAIT TO READ THE REST OF WHAT YOU HAVE.

BluesClues says...

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:53 pm
Authorian says...

I'm getting chills. This is a great introduction. You are a great writer. I can HEAR the ACCENTS. I love the atmosphere and the description of the book house. The man sounds nice and the balloon artist is curious, though skeptical. I'll continue reading. Please keep writing!!

The flow was great and the grammar spot on, you were perfectly on top of everything. The characters are well rounded in the few words and actions they get. And you left me curious as to what would happen next.

An easy, clean cut, 10/10 that I thought I'd never give out.

Very much looking forward to reading the second chapter!! (Which I am going to do, right now!)

BluesClues says...

Thanks so much! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:53 pm
Authorian wrote a review...

Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:49 pm
Sillia says...

This is very very well written. personally, i loved it. Very good description. I'd like to read more, and definitely will take the time later to read the rest of it. I was sorta sucked into it, kinda drawn into the void of the words. I love when that happens :) thanks for a good read! Will be sure to read more!

Deanie says...

Ooh I like this change. I wasn't too much a fan of the big bit of description at the beginning, but I like being able to see the local's opinion of him. And I guess this is how Conrad gets to know of him too, before they meet ^^ Nice. I like this version of the chapter better...

BluesClues says...

Thank you! Luckily that's what everyone's been saying, so I guess it's working out :)

Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:00 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here for a quick review!

I remember that you reviewed many of my pieces, but I have never really returned the favor. I shall do so now! Here is my goal, so that you may remember it and scold me if I don't finish within the next couple years or so. I will go through and review all of your Bookman, or at least try. There will probably be a few chapters that I skip over because they are too good, and I can't find anything in them to nitpick. :)

I love, love your beginning. For some reason, it reminded me of the beginning of Lord of the Rings. Gossiping townsfolk spreading rumors about the most mysterious guy in town. In that case, it was Bilbo Baggins. In this case, its C. Abernathy. Bilbo went on a long adventure afterwards. I just have this feeling that Christian is going to, as well. Starting your book off this way really pulled me in. The chapter had this mysterious air to it, everyone in the pub throwing in their two cents(and often, their twenty dollars) worth of opinions, while most, if not all of them, were incorrect in one way or another. The balloon artist seems the only one who possessed a level of common sense in the pub, preferring to sit back and just listen. He seems like he is going to be a big part in the book, but I don't know what yet.

ALL THE QUESTIONS!

An entire house full of books? Sounds... expensive. xD Aley was going over how it would--and if it would work. I know that you did your research to make sure that it was possible, but I am sure that it could work. Possibly. One issue, though. The house would have to have some other materials besides the books in order to remain standing. Foundation, nails, rafters(absolutely necessary. No way books can do what the trusses do) I think that it may be possible for books to be the walls and such, though. Oh, and roofing! That would have to be something besides books. Perhaps specially shingles specially made to look like pages of a book? Just a suggestion. With your description of the house, I can really see all of the books lining up to create that purty picture. It sounds so cool!

Over on Cherry Street, across from the park

Cherry Street. Same street Mary Poppins lives at! :D

But there their similarities ended

The two "there" so close together are difficult to roll of the tongue. I would suggest, But their similarities ended there.

Seems an awful fire hazard to me

Technically, since books are made of wood, and houses are made of wood, any house is a firehazard--not just one made from books. Normal houses go up in flames fast enough. :)

Good ending to the first chapter... Very good. Now you have me interested as to why he is going, if not just to get a better look for himself at the "weird bloke". Those townspeople are fun to listen to. Their incessant chatter would be so annoying. I probably would have left before he did. But he was very curious, of course.

I wonder what is going to happen next! Hmm... I must go read. See you soon.
~Darth Timmyjake, signing out for the first time.

BluesClues says...

Thanks so much for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I think the roof is more or less just a regular roof, although originally it was glass...but anyway, there's a skylight in the bedroom. And I think the needed structural supports would be in place, but hidden by books so that the whole house is almost an illusion, if you understand my meaning.

As for the fire hazard comment, someone in my novel-writing class actually brought it up...although you do have a point. Houses in general are not exactly fire-proof. But I think it's because books have so much paper, which goes up faster than actual wood.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:52 am
Aley wrote a review...

Hello~

Aley here.

This was really easy to read, which is great because I get bored with reading things that are hard to read.

I really love how you introduced us to the story. It is so true that people in towns like that mill about and decide to talk about "that one guy" and tell you about all the really cool places like "The xen y" which has been [Yatta yatta yatta yatta.] I think there are some things that could be changed though, and some physics problems that need attention.

The biggest plot thing I've noticed is that you say

but in truth the trash-collector had gotten perhaps the longest and best look at someone inside the Book House
and yet, you also say that the barber cuts his hair, and appears to know that he cuts his hair.
“Don’t say much when he come in for a trim. Just please and thank you and how much will that be. Politest fellow you’ve ever seen, but it’s just not good for a man to be so alone in the world.”

Without specifically examining the language, saying "inside the Book House" it makes it appear as though you as a narrator are lying to us, saying that the trash-man got the best look at anyone in the house, but the barber got the best look at him. It's really not much of a problem considering you've detailed that the man was the father. However, even with that, you might want to consider adding a line or two in of the argument, killing it by saying that the barber knows him personally. Even if it was just something simple like, "I know that wasn't him because I cut his hair." it would give us a bit more of a linear understanding of the situation, and that the "someone" isn't the important thing, but the "Inside the Book House" is. Right now it seems like in that sentence you've got a bigger stress on that he saw someone, than that he saw someone inside the house. The others know who lives there, but they have never actually seen him in there.

I love how you end this part.
A short while later, as the townspeople became increasingly intoxicated and their stories less coherent,
this transition is absolutely great. It's amusing, light-hearted, and well timed. I also love how much of a snoop the townspeople are.

So the physics of creating a house made of books, purely of books, is rather an astounding one. I don't think it can be done honestly, because you'd probably need some sort of glue to hold things together, and maybe supports, which is the glass?. After time, books deteriorate even as hardcovers. Spines break, covers dent, things happen. If you were to make a house out of that, you'd need some really good sealer, supports, and probably the ability to replace the books. They aren't as tough as brick after all, so The Book House would probably be under construction quite a bit. Also what sort of structure is it? Is it two story, one story, a story and a basement? I think it's just a small one story place, but I'm not sure if I'm right.

Overall, really good job. I'm going to probably be Marathon-ing this XD

Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:10 am
Pinkiegirl13 wrote a review...

Hi, BlueAfrica. This is Pinkie here for a review for the Rugido Sol. I like to be your reviewer if you don't mind.

I love this chapter. It is very amazing and engrossing to read. I like the descriptions on there. It gave the image of the story in my head. The plot is very good and the chapter is just....interesting! It made want to read more of your novel! It made me lured in the chapter already! However, some of the sentences made me confused. Maybe you need to check before you publish this, but it is still amazing! I hope to read more from you! Have a nice day.

Awesome job! :D

Cheers

Your reviewer, Pinkiegirl13

P.S: Happy review day!

Hannah wrote a review...

Alrighty, I'll bite on your challenge and see how far I get. Hopefully I will be of some help to you!

First thoughts on first read through:

Newcomers, if they provided no interest themselves,

I'm not quite sure what that means. Who is providing interest to whom?!

jolly (if inebriated) patrons

I don't think jolly and inebriated are words that contrast, so "if" sounds odd here. Maybe take out the parentheses and just say "jolly and inebriated"?

He worked, as you might guess from his appearance, a rather dull job as a staff accountant

For some reason I imagined him in a tuxedo and as an undertaker, so maybe you'll want to drop some more hints as to why we should guess he's a staff accountant??

A short while later, as the townspeople became increasingly intoxicated and their stories less coherent, the balloon-artist slipped out of the pub unnoticed and headed in the direction of Cherry Street.

For some reason, I don't like the continued group reference to the people there as the "townspeople". It's repeated enough to be noticeable and also feels like it's automatically distancing the reader from them. These are the townspeople, and we are outside of them, when I want to get to know them and sink in the story. Would you like using friendlier words like "folks" or "patrons"?? Hmm...

For a man whose cart had just been upset, he seemed incredibly personable.

I feel like personable is more of a general over time personality trait, which doesn't match with the contrast of a one-time occurrence. Maybe just a simple substitute like "calm" or something else that would fit as the reaction to the cart upset.

Three children who had been trailing after their parents shouted in delight and chased after the drifting balloons. The accounting forms, being rather less interesting, were lost to the wind.

Love love love absolutely love everything about this moment.

Overall, I found this pretty easy to read and scoot right through. It was interesting, but what I'm most looking forward to is the mutual discovery of Christian and the balloon maker. I get the feeling that Christian is a little bit jealous that the balloon maker is new, but already he's bringing happiness to the town and being popular with people that Christian has never even had the chance to speak with once. I'm looking forward to see characters evolve and definitely wondering who's at the door.

;) On to the next, shall we?

Omni wrote a review...

Okay, so I haven't read this at all, this will be my first chapter, and I also haven't read any of the other reviews (I don't like doing that), but what better way to start off my reviewing streak with The Book Man?

Keep in mind, I haven't reviewed in quite awhile, so I might be a little rough around the edges xD

Shall we begin?

Chapter 1:

Okay, first off, I couldn't find a spelling mistake in this chapter. I shouldn't be surprised, seeing how many other people reviewed this and probably how much you revised this. It's a short chapter, and I will get somewhat nitpicky, if that's alright with you.

The locals called it the Book House.

Well, this was abrupt. I don't know how I feel about this, seeing as this isn't an interesting way to start off the chapter. It's just... normal. Frankly, I had to force myself to read through the beginning, because you just told them everything about the house. In my experience, it usually is better to show the reader through imagery and beautiful wording what goes on in things instead of just telling them. You didn't do this, and it gave me a major red flag.

I know this sounds weird, but the first three paragraphs were harder to read than the rest of the first chapter. It was all explanation in which could have been better explained through the conversation later on in the chapter. I know it's harder to implement, but you could have just started off the chapter straight with the conversation in the Den.

Now, I am reviewing this as I go along, so, I have not read anything but chapter one, so I can't say anything about the future chapters.

“What’d he look like, Spitz?”

Who said this? I got confused there xD

“Only a weirdo would live in a house made of books.

Haha, sorry, I just had to point out that I loved the usage of weirdo. I think it adds a lot of personality to just one guy. I hope you keep the trash man in the story, because I'm already liking him from chapter one.

The balloon-artist thought privately that he had seen much stranger things in the townspeople’s own park than a recluse whose house was made of books.

I really like how this provides some kind of insight into the balloon-artist, who, until this point was just an inlet of information for everything the others want to. It gives him some sort of attitude that was absent before that. I am glad that this happened!

Okay, so the beginning of this chapter, I was apprehensive by the type of descriptiveness at the beginning, but you really nailed it to the end of the chapter. I'm glad that I'm reading this.

Now, this leads to...

Chapter 2:

Okay, before we begin, the beginning of the chapter (the first sentence, to be exact) was pretty weak. I'm all for introductions to the chapters, but this was pretty weak.

Now that we started up, though, can I say that the second chapter was amazing? Well, too late, because I did.

“I do, yes,” he said. “And, as a matter of fact, I ought to be getting back to it. A pleasure meeting you—yes, a pleasure. Thank you. Goodbye!”

I just have to say that the thing that stood out to me was the amazing dialogue you have in this story. The details are okay, the intros were weak, but the dialogue was something that was not only deeply intriguing and depth-inducing, but it's also something I could easily see myself saying aloud and making sense.

He felt it was unbookish to enjoy it; he ought to have been more interested by classical music, but he couldn’t help it that he found Bach and Schumann dull.

Oh my gosh, thank you for this. I can't believe how much this makes me happy. I am the exactly same way, except replacing electric/house with classic rock. This provides even more depth to this newly introduced character and provides the idea of someone who isn't stereotypical. This just makes me happy.

Okay, so now that I've finished this, I want to give you my overall impression. I want to say that, even if I may be a bit harsh at the bad parts of the story, I gave you my thoughts on both the polar ends of the story, the good and the bad. I want you to know that this is just a review, and that my opinions are not something that you need to follow. This is supposed to be constructive criticism.

I can't wait to read and review the rest of this!

Alpha wrote a review...

BlueAfrica! This is a hooking beginning you have. I'm usually not into 'short chapters' (I think it has to do with the Goosebumps series employing them- I hated that series) but I think it works for your story.
Your writing style is very hooking! Short sentences and neat descriptions. Maybe too neat?

Back then it was covered in torn and tarnished papery gold upholstery, the stuffing spilled from the seat, and the wooden pieces were weathered as if the chair had previously lived on someone’s patio.

This, for example: there's nothing wrong with it, in fact you have excellent word structure. But it's too ordinary. I personally think that since your plot-line is taking its time to develop, it should have more interesting descriptions.
Out of the three chapters, the first one feels the weakest. You jump right in and throw descriptions in our faces: the book house, the chair (which is brought up again later), the evening; some things can be snipped off.
The very first paragraph seemed a bit awkward to read.
In the center of town stood a glass house filled with books. The inner walls were made of books stacked in piles from the floors to the ceilings; the desk and bed-frame and wall cubbies were made of books; even the bookshelves were made of books.

n(Books): 5. In two sentences. Granted, long ones, but that made it awkward for me to read. It felt clanking, cluttered. Maybe you can somehow merge the other descriptions together to avoid using it again? Something like, 'the desk and bed-frame and wall cubbies -even the bookshelves- were made of books.

One more note I have is with this sentence:
And at night, when the park finally closed, Conrad Smithson came knocking on the door of the Book House to offer its owner his choice of leftover balloon-animals.

So, it's just a matter of technicality, but before you said that Conrad only made balloons for those who asked. Which means he'll make them on the spot, and not have them pre-prepared (like when Christian asked for a turtle), right? So, he wouldn't have left-over balloon animals, he'll have unbent balloons. Right?
I think that's all I have to say in nitpicks.. The Balloon-Artist is the most interesting character for me. I can absolutely relate to Christian's reading habits, and I love how we learn about him without you pointing it out with yellow neon signs. It's subtle and effortless. It's a great start, and your writing 'tone' is lovely.

I keep seeing you around and there's almost always a mention about your latest chapters so I decided to hop in the bandwagon~
Frankly, I think glad I did.

--Alpha

PS this is my first review since last December, and it's one a.m. so I'm sorry but I'm a bit rusty with my reviews xD

Messenger wrote a review...

Messenger here to review for you. I'll be reviewing b sections.

Chapter one
I got two things to say. Number one, that was just so beautifully detailed and explained in so few but powerful words. It sounds like such a pretty and mysterious house. Number two, I WANT THAT HOUSE!!!!! Ok that is about it for chapter 1 :)

Chapter two

(he read the banned books especially eagerly)

Who wouldn't? :P It adds realisticness to it :)
with another in his hand and a dead flashlight lodged uncomfortably beneath his cheek.

I've never done that >.>
You seriously need to make that house for me.

Chapter three
and myriad other creatures.

I think it may be myriads.

Summary
Blue Africa no wonder Iggy gobbles up these chapters, they are incredible!!!! You write in such a way that makes it seem old-fashioned, kind of like Dickens, only way more enticing. You basically write three "tell" chapters, and yet you somehow manage to not info-dump!Your writing just draws me in and I don't want to quit. I just nom it all up :)

I am totally going to start reading this story so be on the look out for more reviews.This is so good!

~Messenger

Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:26 pm
Pompadour wrote a review...

Hullo! I've been intending to review this for a really long time, but procrastination just keeps getting in my way. Without further ado then -- onwards!

Page 1: The Book House

First off, I love your format! It was a little confusing in the beginning, but it gives your writing character, and is just so very intriguing! The setting is wonderful, as is the idea of living in a house made of books. But it feels kind of ... bland, I think. Not the idea in itself, more like the way you've introduced us to this world. I think it would be slightly more captivating if you played with the sentences a bit; shuffled them up like a deck of cards. I know I'm not being very clear on this, but that first sentence:

In the center of town stood a glass house filled with books.

I dunno. It tasted like the colour grey. What really appealed to me, though, was the second paragraph, when you tell us that the locals called it the Book House. And I couldn't help but imagine that bit as the first sentence, worded a little differently. Something like: "The locals called it the Book House. It stood in the center of town, a glass structure/house filled with books...."

Sorry I spent so much time rambling on about that. I tend to critique beginnings harshly, because I know how hard it is to write them, and they always end up differently to what you originally had in mind.

On the other hand, your description here is gorgeous. I can see the Book House clearly: sunlight filtering in through the ceiling, that lovely puffy chair... It's so very vivid! Your description seems to laugh, like bubbling brooks. It also makes me think poetic thoughts. I love it. <3

even the bookshelves were made of books.

I had to quote this. I'm going to build myself a bookshelf like that one day!

Page 2: Christian Abernathy

I'm adding Christian to my list of favourite fictional characters. What I like is how you've shown him as a shy, withdrawn individual, and yet he lives in this contrary world, and is content with it. If that isn't showcasing strong character, then I don't know what is.

from the time of his childhood in the dingy alleyways of London.

All right, so Christian's biography is spiffing. I like the natural way you tell us about his past and you don't rush over the details. The bit I've quoted, however, stood out to me particularly. You also mention his mother in this chapter/page, and although his devotion towards his books is clear, I can't help but wonder about his childhood. I'd love it if you could elaborate on this, and perhaps provide us with a clearer picture. I haven't read the rest of this as yet, so maybe you do delve into that bit later on in the book. It would just be nice to see something of that sort here, is all.

Page 3: The Balloon Artist

Okay, so I have a confession to make. When I first saw one of your chapters in the green room, I read the title as "The Balloon Man." Weird, right? Which is why I was pleasantly surprised when I came across an actual balloon man! Who doesn't love balloons, after all?

I like the relationship between Conrad and Christian. It's real and definitely believable. I don't have anything to critique here that hasn't been covered by the previous reviewers, so it's all good. I do think it was kind of out of character of Christian to go up to Conrad on his own, but I suppose it just shows us that he isn't as shy as he -- and we -- believe him to be.

And now, let me just say how I absolutely loved this. <3 Your descriptions are lovely, your dialogue is clever and flows smoothly. Aaand I'm off to read the second chapter!

~Pompadour

Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:03 am
Deanie wrote a review...

Hey Blue!

Yes, yes I am finally here... I know it took me a while *hides* And even now that I am here this review is going to be pretty short because the reviewers ahead of me have done a wonderful job. And you're writing itself is amazing. So yes, I don't think there is much to add. I'll write this review based on what I think.

Chapter 1: Great description of the book house. It sounds just like my kind of place, almost too real to be true. I'm not sure how I feel about the very first chapter being opened with description... I know patient readers like me don't mind, especially as its such a short bit. But hmmm... depends on what chapter two is like.

Chapter 2: Agh, now the house and Christian both sound like my type of people/things! Now I'm just curious as to what is going to happen next. Some people might not have been so with it though. So far we've only got descriptions of a house and a person (who seems to be a pretty normal person. Maybe spectacular things are going to happen to them, but so far you might want to add something gripping, something less "standard.")

Chapter 3: The balloon man sounds interesting. Now I can picture the book house and alongside its ceiling some stray balloons are bobbing there, twisted to be shaped like animals. I must say you have a great way with managing to paint vivid images with your words. And although I REALLY like the first chapter, some people may not. For me as a person it's intriguing. I'm curious to what might happen to these characters, where this story is going to go next. You can go in any direction. My main problem is that some people might think 'boring' and move on. This may not be the type of audience you wanted to capture, but if you wanted to widen your audience this might be something to think about? I don't know where this is going yet, so it's really up to you and what you want.

For me though, I loved it <3 Going on to read more!

Deanie x

Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:41 pm
Auxiira wrote a review...

Hey Blue! Auxii here to review! I waaas going to review just the chapters in the Green Room, but that would be lik skipping the first chapters of a book, and no one would do that. This may be more of a ramble than a review...

Page 1:

I adore the concept of the Book House! But what happens when he wants to read one of the books making a wall? wouldn't the whole wall fall over? D: That would be a catastophe! I'm guessing it's a bungalow, cause that would be hard >.>

The image you've built of the Book House is amazing! I can just close my eyes and see it in the evening, with soft light glowing inside and the stars glowing through the ceiling!

Page 2:
This sentence seems a little awkward to me:

He wore black-rimmed glasses and three-piece suits, which he had to have tailored because he was so lanky.

It doesn't seem to flow quite right. Maybe: He wore black-rimmed glasses and tailored three-piece suits, to fit his lanky frame. ... I'm not too sure.

I love how you've put the sentence "And at night he came home to his books." on a line by itself. You can tell that the books are everything to Christian, that he wouldn't leave him if he could.

I have to say, building the walls without anyway to keep the books together must have been a work of patience. Can you imagine if a wall fell down, and h had to build it again? :O

Page 3:
I do love your descriptions. They bring everything to life in a very magcial way. Honeysuckle and ivy have always seemed rather mystical to me. On another note, did you know you could suck on honeysuckle? It's very nice. It's quite funny how he takes his cue to go into his room from people noticing him! ^^

Conrad is an interesting character, he seems very engaging, and I love how he slowly works himself into Christian's life.

I disagree with Lauren on how engaging the story is. I was, and still am, rather curious to see why you've chosen to write about Christian in particular.

I adore your descriptions, they're wonderful and bring everything to life!

I hope I helped a little, though admittedly, maybe not much, and see you at the next chapter!

Auxii~

Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:56 pm
Lauren2010 wrote a review...

Blue!

I was going to jump on your chapters still sitting in the Green Room, but ended up breaking down and deciding to head back to the start and review all the way through because hey I love full novels and also I love beginnings. So here we go!

Page One
Okay, so I can see you're going for an interesting stylistic thing here with the super short "chapters" and I can totally get behind that. I'm going to refrain from making any more comments on that structure until I've gotten a bit further in, so that I can really say something meaningful about how it carries through the story.

The problem I do have with this opening chapter, though, is that it just isn't a very interesting way to start a story. You have a super interesting place, but all we get is a run-on infodump about it that is also kind of detached because we don't get a good character to ground ourselves in until the last sentence of the chapter.

Your first chapter, your first sentences have to be among the strongest in your book. Especially when it comes to sending it out to agents, who only look at the first page - if that -when determining if they want to buy your book. The best openings, in my opinion, open en medias res ("in the middle of things"). It doesn't have to be something action-packed, but it's got to have something - preferably someone! - for me to connect to immediately and invest myself in. Also, using action to describe a setting always makes it a more interesting place than sitting there reading a laundry-list of characteristics!

Page Two
Christian Abernathy. A man of books. So what?

As it is, Christian seems like a lovely fellow. Nice enough, quiet, keeps to himself. But what is it about him that should make me want to hear his story? He likes books? So what, I know a thousand people (and a thousand fictional characters) who love books.

As our main character, and the person I as the reader am supposed to become invested in, am supposed to root for, I need to know why I should care about him. What are his struggles? His pains? What has he lived through? What has almost done him in? What about him do I identify with? Why should I sympathize with him rather than any other person who could tell me this story? Why is this Christian's story, and why do I care about it?

This is a sweet opening for a character in chapter two, but it isn't a whole lot past that. Christian has lived an almost perfect life, one of presumed wealth and success, that has allowed him to do everything he has dreamed of with little difficulty. That's great for Christian, but that's not why we read fiction. We read fiction to watch people struggle, to find pain that we can identify with and triumph we can feel for. I want to love Christian, but right now I only kind of like him.

Page Three
Another character! I like that he's a balloon maker. It's interesting and different and kind of reminds me of Carl from Up with his balloon stand outside of the zoo, which also kind of sets it in my mind in the past.

Speaking of which, what exactly is the time period? The style of narration - as well as certain facts like this - makes it seem like this story isn't a modern one, or one set in our own time. But then they're accountants who presumably live in a pretty modern world and those two images clash for me. It might be that I'm just having a hard time picturing the world being set up here, though. I have a lot of questions about this place, like: how big is the town? is it busy? are there a lot of people living there, packed into tight spaces? or are the streets open, the houses set far apart? what other towns or cities are close? Is London nearby? Is this London? Is Christian's house made entirely of glass? Or is it just called that because it has really big windows facing the front of the house?

Answering these questions, and really giving a strong setting will help the reader step into the world and ground themselves in where they are in this story. That will help get a better understanding of the characters, too, who also feel underdeveloped.

For example, this is my biggest issue in these first three chapters plot/character-wise:

Christian asked one day, and that was how they met.

Nothing about Christian's personality suggests that he is the kind of person to just suavely waltz across the street and ask for a balloon. He seems more the kind of person who would bump into him on his way home - having not had the appropriate opportunity to cross the street and avoid the human interaction - and be offered a balloon in an adorable anxiety-filled moment. It just needs to be really clear to the reader who these characters are, and then the characters have to fulfill that in everything they do.

In the end, I enjoyed reading this! It's sweet, and interesting, and I'm ready to read more! I kept seeing you posting about it, so you're already doing a good job picking up interest which is always the first step! And I think you have a really good place to stand, and to move forward to make this a really awesome story. Be on the look out for more reviews from me in the future!

-Lauren-

Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:15 pm
Tenyo wrote a review...

Hey Blue! I'm here to plague your novel =]

Page One

I haven't read enough to fully understand where the 'page one, page two, page three' structure comes from, but I like it. It's interesting.

As for Page One as an opening... I don't know what to make of it XD There's nothing particularly gripping about it and it feels a bit info-dumpish, however because it's so short I kept on reading. I'll read more and decide later whether I think it's a good option or not.

Page Two and Three

Again, the same as page one. Christian is a peculiar guy =p but I still have no idea where this is going.

I do however like the contrast between them. Christian seems like a bit of a hermit, and Conrad is much more sociable, which is really good! Characters and relationships are important so I'll be interested to see how this spans out.

Iggy wrote a review...

Hi, darling. Here as promised <3

Okay, so nitpicks:

and there he would lay in bed with his hands behind his head and watched the sky darken

Consider adding in the bolded word?

The someone would smile and wave;

The only exception was when the someone was the balloon-artist

I think a better substitute would be that.

Okay, so. Three minimal nitpicks. I mean, Jesus, Blue! This is just amazing already. You've got a talent for imagery, yes you do. You are just great with describing things, and so that makes this so much more better to read.

Since you use me to gossip about your novel, I am already exciting for the pairing that will happen. Christian and Conrad.. I can see it happening, yes.

My only comment is: you describe Christian as a withdrawn, quiet introspect, yet his home is made of glass? Maybe you should toss in there why he wanted a glass home, since I'm pretty confused. You think he'd rather hide than have see-through walls to his house, but then again, maybe he's too proud of his collection to hide it? Just drop a line or two to explain it so it makes sense, ja? :P

Other than that, I'm loving this. It's so good and well-written and asdfghjkl, I'mma go read chapter four now, okay.

BluesClues says...

Thank you! (Not to give you spoilers but Christian and Conrad are not the gay pairing, but you will love the gay pairing.)

That was something that was commented on in my novel-writing class, that if he's shy why would he have glass walls. I need to figure out a spot to drop it in--it's mostly for the sake of aesthetics and light: he likes windows, he likes sunlight and a view. (He gets that from his writer.) So I know why...I just need to figure out where to put that.

I'm so glad you like the description, though! Usually that's something I have an insane amount of trouble with, like you never really see much of my world at all. This is the first time I've been able to do that much, although obviously for some people it's a turn-off because not everyone likes imagery.

AHH. So excited!

Blue

Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:18 pm
GreenTulip wrote a review...

Hi, GreenTulip here for a review.

Okay, as I read this (Well what I did read of it..I got lost after two paragraphs in page two), it is pretty good.

I am going to offer you a way to edit your 'page one'.

This is how you have it. Edits I have made will be in bold
In the center of atown stood a glass house filled with a large amount of books. The Book House was a favorite spot for the locals to stop by on the way home in the evening, when it was ablaze with light and every detail of the architecture and furniture was visible. The inner walls were constructed of books stacked in piles from the floors to the ceilings; the desk and bed-frame and wall cubbies were made of books; even the bookshelves were made of books.

It was for this reason that the locals called it the Book House, but there was one thing inside that was not made of books. It was the lonely reading-chair, which was a puffy armchair upholstered in fake red velvet. It sat in the spot of glory by the front window in the reading-room, where sunlight streamed down on it all day and the comings and goings of visitors to the park across the way could be observed at leisure.

Every detail could be seen—except its maker. He removed himself each night to the sanctuary of the inner rooms, his bedroom and study, and there he lay in bed with his hands behind his head and watched the sky darken through the glass ceiling.

I think that this might work just as well as what you had, but it's only an offer that you don't have to take.

Good job, keep working. :)

BluesClues says...

"You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it."
— We Bought A Zoo