12+

From Tokyo to Jakarta

by SasaArchie

[Based on true story, A real story of 2 friend that has been modified into modern world with place, time, characters and date has been balance with the century to cover the identity, Copyright© SasaArchie]

April 18th, 1998

Dear Shizouka,

Hey, remember me? Yeah, I’m the boy from exchange student program. It was a great week with you I don’t really know what to say but I just one you to know that I’m here to be your friend as I promised you yesterday. I’ve safely arrived in Jakarta, hope everything are ok with you

Sincerely,

Joshua

April 20th, 1998

Dear Jojo,

Yeah, I remember you not because you’re the only one who wants to talk to me but you’re also funny. Everything are alright, how about you? I hear some bad news about you city, is it as bad as on the news?

I really want to meet, I miss you so much. I know that you need time to study because this May you’ll have some kind of examination but I really want to see you, can I go to your city? Next week maybe, or after you finish the examination? Please tell me if you can.

Sincerely,

Shizouka

May 3rd, 1998

Dear Shizouka,

It’s been a long time since I replied your letter but there’s something going on in my country. I can’t help it I have to do it and please don’t think negatively it’s not like what you’re thinking. Maybe you’ve heard it on the news, but I really want you to be safe. So please, don’t go here! I don’t want to lose my lovely friend.

I know we’re barely known but I don’t want to lose you, you’re the best girl I’ve ever met. I just want to protect you, please try to understand this situation I really want to meet you but now know maybe someday god will lead us together somewhere in neverland.

Sincerely,

Joshua

May 5th, 1998

Dear Jojo,

What do you mean by that? Are you trying to hide something from me? And about the news, what news? I haven’t heard anything from your country, what is it? What is going on there? Are you trying to say good bye?

And what do you mean by those words? Somewhere in neverland? Please, don’t do this to me.

Sincerely,

Shizouka

And that’s the last letter she sent me, actually she wasn’t the one who stopped it but I was, I’m the one who stop sending the letter I know I was stupid. Why would I do something like that? I’m just a human with no heart, I don’t deserve to live! What a stupid mistake back there.

What day is it? Oh it’s Saturday, March 5 2011?! I almost thought it’s 2010, I always have problem with date—this letter, should I reply this or just leave it alone? Or maybe just burn it down and forget that I’ve known that girl? That’ll make me a douche, ok just reply with hi and explain everything you can.

March 5th, 2011

Dear Shizouka,

It’s been a long time since I talked to you, and I’ll explain everything I can in this letter. First of all, I want to say that I’m sorry, I’m sorry for not replying your letter and I’m sorry for not explaining you what happen back there. I’m really sorry I hope you forgive me.

Second, I will now tell everything I can from back then. That night when I received your letter there was a huge war in here, it’s not a war between country but it’s more like a brother war. My dad is a deputy so he was the one who in charged at that time. It was midnight, and someone knocked on the door. I opened the door and saw so many soldier there, he asked where’s my dad then I said he’s sleeping they asked me to wake him up so I did, I wake him up.

Minutes later my dad awake, he talked to the soldier and all I heard was a gun fire and when I sneaked around my dad was gone but one thing I saw that night was a blood on the floor where my dad was standing the last time I saw him. Then, on May 6th until 10th the whole city has changed into a huge mess! There are demonstrators everywhere.

I was walking home from school when that incident happened, all the high school students were fighting in front of my government building, all the police officers tried to calm them but every time they tried to calm them they’re just getting madder. So, the police officers had to do everything, I don’t want to get really intense on this part but that’s what happened back there.

I hope everything alright with you, tell me about everything that has happened to you

Sincerely,

Joshua

Now, I just have to go to the post office and send this later. Woooh! What a traffic! Why is it so hard just to go to the post office well, I hope the letter arrive tomorrow well, I have spent like 15.000 rupiah just to send the letter.

I’ve wait day by day, but she never reply until March 10th 2011 he replied my letter with a lot of bad words, I don’t want to show it because it really hurts me when I read it. I know how she feels, I mean who doesn’t mad when his/her friend didn’t reply his/her message for like 13 years?

But, it was a huge mistake… why? Because on March 11th 2011, there was a huge tsunami happened in Japan and she lives in Tokyo which is happen to be in Japan so… yeah, when I heard that news I was shocked as hell. I tried to get more information as fast as I can and as much as I can, but I couldn’t find her name…

Yeah! I forget her name, what a dumb! I shouldn’t forget her name! So, I came to Japan as a volunteer from my country and helped them up, but my first mission wasn’t to help them but to find Shizouka. Luckily, I’ve placed in Tokyo and even though it’s a big city but I still try to find her.

I’ve search around the city but I couldn’t find her and it’s been 6 days search, there’s no sign of her existents I don’t know where she is, I know I was dumb enough just to ignore her and that was a huge fucking mistake I’ve ever done in my life! I don’t deserve to live, but I’m not going to do a suicide because I really want to see Shizouka for the last time. She’s like the best friend I’ve ever had!

My mission’s done, I went back to my country and several days later I saw a new about Japan and suddenly I remember Shizouka name, I saw her name on the victims list. After I saw that new, I planned a flight to go there, I asked everyone where the funeral is for the tsunami victims. I search everywhere until I found one grave behind an old house.

A grave that craved perfectly with no mistake, a grave that placed near the Sakura flowers, a grave that craved Shizouka name on it. There’s her picture with her family on the top of her grave and a little old box behind it. I may have been a douche to her lately but then again, I feel sorry for her. I even haven’t say sorry in front of her and now she’s gone! I can’t forgive myself!

Then, I remembered that box was my old box. I remember it so clearly, it was exactly 13 years and 14 days ago when I gave it to her. A memories box that I gave and she even promised to keep it for the rest of her life. And she did, I don’t really know what to do back there but I opened up the box and saw my letter there. All our memories but then there are bunches of letter of her experience since I didn’t reply her letter until the day I sent her my last letter.

I don’t want to add anything stupid for this story. So, I’m just going to end it up. It was my experience with my good old friend, she’s just like the perfect friend that you can ever imagine. I know she maybe in a better place now, but I really miss her and since that day every night in my dream I’ll always hear her was calling my name and smile at me and tell her that she’s ok.

But one thing I want you to know, I don’t want you to do the same mistake as I am, it was a huge mistake I made and I don’t want it to happen to you either. Make your own world with your friends and friends can be friends anywhere even the place that you never expected. And it’s not impossible that your true friend is the one that you’ve never been know.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:52 am
ThereseCricket wrote a review...

Hey there! Cricket popping in for a quick review!

So I read the last person's review and it seems that you put an accent into your work. Well I'm just going to point out stuff that I think is wrong and forget about it if its pertaining to the accent. Because I have absolutely no idea how too tell.

Hey, remember me? Yeah, I’m the boy from exchange student program

So there should be a "the" in between from and exchange.

I’ve safely arrived in Jakarta, hope everything are ok with you

There needs to be a period at the end. And are should be is.

I know how she feels, I mean who doesn't mad when his/her friend didn’t reply his/her message for like 13 years?

You need too insert "get" in between doesn't and mad.

Anyway I have to cut this short as I have too really go, but I would just like to say that is amazing. You have managed to bring emotion into your work extremely well.

That paragraph is probably my favorite. It has so much depth and emotion.

So anyway I hope I didn't get anything wrong! If I did, please just ignore!

SasaArchie says...

Hey, thank you so much for your feedback and the correction it really helps me out and makes me learn something:) I really appreciate it. I don't know how to thanks you and thanks again for your correction.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:02 pm
Kyana wrote a review...

Kya with a review

That's really amazing and powerful. It's also a bit sad. It was a bit hard to read because of the foreign accents, but they did give a more realistic feel. I like the message integrated into it, and stated at the end. You did a great job with getting your point across without saying it outright. The personalities of the character are well developed as well.

SasaArchie says...

Thanks for your feedback, this is my first time posting a real-life story so thank you so much for reading it, it's really build my self-esteem to write more:)

One believes things because one has been conditioned to believe them.
— Aldous Huxley, Brave New World