z

Young Writers Society



Room for insanity?

by spacesoldier


Room for insanity?

I belong in a room that has no windows and no doors.
In a room that doesn’t reflect my insanity on the floor.
In a room that has no lights to show me, my soul’s core.
I belong in a place that doesn’t exist anymore.
A place that will stop my insanity from growing until it pours.
I’m sick of seeing things, my eyes are growing sore.
I think I’m giving up; my blood is filling the dorm.
My heart is slowly beating, as it begins to fill with scorn.
And I am growing tired of laying here in the shadows like I was never born.
I miss the little things like the smell of roses and the sweet taste of corn.
I miss the endless skies and the sound of dew drops hitting the ground.
I even miss the yelling and the fighting that would make my head pound.
I miss having someone around, here in this tiny room it feels like I might drown.
I belong in this room that has no windows and no doors.
This room that doesn’t reflect my insanity on the floor.
This room that has no lights to show me, my soul’s core.
I belong in this place that doesn’t exist anymore.
This place that hasn’t been able to stop my insanity from growing until it pours.

I’m sick of seeing things; my eyes were growing sore so I cut them out until they were no more.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
66 Reviews


Points: 569
Reviews: 66

Donate
Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:03 pm
RainbowPowerPonies wrote a review...



Hiya PonyzandPokez here! Reviewing time!

Spelling: 100% AWESOME!
Grammar: 100% Perfection!
Emotion: 100% YES!
Formatting: 95% Pretty good!
Nice! You wrote a poem almost to perfection! Spelling was perfect as well as Grammar and Emotion was like WOAH I mean this was an awesome poem and your Formatting was pretty close to an 100 rating! I really loved this poem and am really impressed! <3 <3 LOVE THIS POEM I mean I've felt that way so many times that I did ACTUALLY pick up the knife. I mean this was great!!!!

~PonyzandPokez




User avatar
806 Reviews


Points: 1883
Reviews: 806

Donate
Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:10 am
Aley wrote a review...



Hi! Review day here <3

I think you have a few interesting parts of this poem. The one that stands out to me the most is where you actually broke away from just end rhyme and had an internal rhyme along with the end rhyme.

I miss the endless skies and the sound of dew drops hitting the ground.
I even miss the yelling and the fighting that would make my head pound.
I miss having someone around, here in this tiny room it feels like I might drown.
All of the bolded words are at least slant rhymes. This is probably the strongest part of the poem.

Personally I don't like the affect that only end rhyme gives and I am not a fan of ending lines as sentences. Lines are lines because they can say something interesting without really interacting as a dichotomy. Basically, what you put in a line has a connection with itself that is close and important, but mostly not obvious to the untrained or glancing eye. When you read a poem, you read it through the lines instead of stopping at the end of each line, which means you miss this 90% of the time if you're just listening to a poem out loud [and poetry is made to be read, so you're listening to poems out loud most of the time], which can only be avoided by reading it on the paper as you read it out loud. It sort of makes it necessary to read it out loud yourself, or at least read along. You can do things with this like associate "corn" and "I miss the endless" which could bring up how there used to be an unbelievable amount of corn available, but now, the corn has wrought so much havoc on the land that it isn't endless. Corn prices are going up. It's not an endless supply like it used to be.

This sort of association can make your poem about more than just the speaker, which is exactly what 'good literature' aims to do.

Another reason why I don't like end rhymes is because of things like this line you have.
I think I’m giving up; my blood is filling the dorm.

So, a dorm room, you've just associated your narrator with a college and dorm life. They're a 'party person', fresh out of high school, living away from mommy and daddy, with a good amount of money. They're clearly overwhelmed with the new life, and they're wishing they could move back home. Now, if any of those things are wrong, then using the word 'dorm' was not the best choice, but what choice did you actually have? You had to rhyme with scorn. That's a hard one! Especially in this type of poem. If you cut out the end rhyme, and just write a poem to write out your experiences, then you're going to have an easier time saying what you want to say instead of saying what needs to fit in the rhyme.

Lastly, the reason I dislike end rhymes is because it really doesn't let writers get involved in enough figurative language. Now this can be alright, if they can still sneak in a metaphor and give us a good picture of things while they're working around the end rhyme. That's easier to do when you're not limited to 'one sentence per line' because you can put the rhyme in the middle, like I showed you earlier, and just line-break where you hit another rhyming word [although it is not the best way to pick line breaks]. I think you had two figurative things in this poem which actually gave me some visuals aside from the direct ones, which were great by the way [sweet corn, sound of dew drops, endless sky, the smell of roses]. The winners are: "A place that will stop my insanity from growing until it pours." which, in itself makes me question what type of liquid is insanity? what is it pouring out of? and does it just hit the floor. Second place: "I think I’m giving up; my blood is filling the dorm." While I dislike this as a general word, dorm, you've managed to work in an image that I can see, a tank/dorm full of blood with a body at the bottom.

In order to take a step up in poetry, and really get closer to what you want to say, I'd like to see you try to break away from writing like this and just rant. Take your emotions and try to describe them in a picture. If you're super angry, write about a lion eating a zibra, or tearing flesh from the walls of your room that's driving you insane. Get out of reality and show me things. If you can't do that just yet, then just close your eyes and type, then cut out things you didn't know where you were at, and break the paragraph up into lines. I think these exercises will get you out of the trap you've lain for yourself with this structure of poetry and help you get out of your room, so to speak.




spacesoldier says...


Insanity is a vibrant raw red liquid that pours out of your mind, infecting your whole body until it just overloads and spills out. And once it splatters all over the floor it seeps into the tile, infecting your entire surrounding to the point that you just have to run. So you force your body to move and you run to escape but, something is holding you back%u2026it refuses to let you leave. You scream for help but no one can hear because it%u2019s all in your head and when you turn around to see whose holding you back its you. Though there%u2019s no where you can go now except back and so you think maybe if you go back far enough you%u2019ll come forward somehow. It doesn%u2019t logically make sense but of course you understand it perfectly in your head because only you can make sense to you. But every step you take back seems to crumble because now you won%u2019t let yourself move a muscle so you%u2019re stuck there. Oh my sorry I%u2019m rambling now%u2026sorry I wasted your time%u2026



User avatar
123 Reviews


Points: 13024
Reviews: 123

Donate
Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:35 am
Milanimo wrote a review...



Hi!
I LOVE this poem!
The rhyming scheme was superb! I definitely could not think of a way to match up that many words. Each line had so much meaning, and I was happy to see that the theme of "Insanity" could be seen clearly through the poem, and how the rhyming and phrases were a bit like the rambling of a madman. Each line was like a different image.

From "the yelling and the fighting that would make my head pound" to "it feels like I might drown". Although the words are simple, it easily flashed pictures though my head, sparking emotion for each and every line.

I really liked the repetition, and how it drew the poem together, and it was a nice conclusion. They last sentence was very interesting.

"I'm sick of seeing things; my eyes were growing sore so I cut them out until they were no more."

It makes the rest of the work seem like a build up, or a growing anticipation, and finally the last sentence is cut away from the rest, a much different thought. It makes it stand out and gives it more meaning and feeling. It's a great ending to the poem and really sums it all up.

Overall, I saw no grammar issues and I thought that the spelling was great too! I found this piece gripping and filled with raw emotion. Can't wait to read more from you!





This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much all of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy