z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Character-lessness

by Renard


If everything in life is a conscious choice, then what we choose must reflect our character. All that I read, watch, listen to and do must have some bearing upon who I am. And that makes my character externally accessible to others who may then scrutinise it.

That is where judgement and labels come in: people feel the need to give a name or title to everything we do. But what if I choose to do nothing?

How then would that reflect upon my character?

Or is it just that it would be concealed?

And what is the difference between hiding one’s character and not possessing one? Surely I can achieve the state of ‘character-lessness’ or that or not ‘being’ a being.

We are all people. So by rights we must all be someone. Even if we don’t know who that is, it doesn’t matter, because we will exist anyway; that, and we are constantly changing.

It’s difficult to keep track of what you can never pin down.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:07 am
Shady wrote a review...



Hey Dink!

Shady here with a review for you this fine evening. I tend to go through a piece and make specific comments as they come to mind, whether as a compliment or complaint, and then summarize my thoughts at the end. So, here goes~

Surely I can achieve the state of ‘character-lessness’ or that or not ‘being’ a being.
~ This sentence doesn't really make much sense. It reads choppily, and I don't really follow the idea you're trying to express. Perhaps rephrase it? Maybe splitting it up into two sentences would help? I'm not sure...

We are all people. So by rights we must all be someone.
~ I don't really like the way this is phrased, mostly because I don't like starting sentences with words like "So", "But", "And", etc. So, maybe rephrase this. "We are all people. By rights of our person-hood, we must all be someone." Or...something. That's definitely not a good rewrite, but my mind isn't cooperating and proving one. So, I guess I'll just suffice it to say that this should be rewritten. :)
~

Okay!

So, this was an interesting piece. A bit of inner-inspection, I guess? It starts out sounding like a fairly Biblical view of life (I have no idea if you're a Christian or not, but the first paragraph is a nice, solid Biblical view).

I'm not really sure what conclusion you come to, though, because the ending is fairly vague. It feels like you're still developing your 'argument', for lack of a better term-- not concluding it. Perhaps add a few lines to the end, to make it feel like a more complete thought? I think your piece would benefit from it.

Anyway, overall this was a good piece.

Keep writing!

~Shady 8)






The opening paragraph was intended to be philosophical, however, I can see where you got Biblical from as the two tend to overlap.
Glad you thought it was good, I will take you suggestions into consideration.
Thank you for the review. :)



User avatar
86 Reviews


Points: 3817
Reviews: 86

Donate
Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:39 am
View Likes
Questio wrote a review...



Yes, yes it is.
Amazing. I love everything about this. The title caught my attention, and the facinating subject kept it and didn't let it go. Questions kept popping up in my mind, trying to interrupt me, but they were soon forgotten as I read on. I absolutely love the attitude of curiosity and almost-anger wrapped up in questions and self reflection.
If one thing could be changed, it would be the length. You could go so much deeper into the subject, the idea, even if you only asked quesitons and made the reader do the answering. That's what happened here for me, but on a smaller scale. Or, you could go in a different direction and try making this the focus of a story. It would also make an amazing poem.
As I'm sure you can tell, I am in love with this piece. Keep up the good work.
Stay awesome,
~Questio~
P.S. Yes, first review! (Unless someone sneaked one in while I typed...)





Never use your shield as a dinner plate, for that is when the enemy is most likely to attack.
— The KotGR Commander