z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Kiss the Damsel Chapter One

by Certainly Love


(Edited Version)

I wrote this piece when I was a junior in high school. I came back to edit and revise. It is very much like pride and prejudice, but I wrote this before I even read the book.

Kiss the Damsel

Chapter One

One very peaceful morning, Jane Dorsey found herself thinking about a gentleman she really didn’t care for, Marcus Daniel, the Marquess of Mayfair. There was no telling whether this man was concerned about anything or anyone, but himself. It seemed as though he preferred the life of solitude to which he kept to himself, often stayed in doors, and paid no attention whatsoever to the important matters set before him. Like marriage. Jane thought his life was indeed very dull with not a hint of adventure. Then again, he did pose a mystery and she could not understand why he popped into her thoughts so suddenly.

Though the marquess was a very quiet man, there was one day where Jane had the opportunity to hear him speak which was on the day of his cousin Victor’s funeral. After that day, he had not said a single word and if he did, he was whispering to where Jane could hardly hear. Why this bothered her, Jane didn’t seem to know why. But it did and it vexed her to no end.

His supposed fiancé was completely dead to him and so she left Marcus to himself. Not one person brought up the question of the year. Where was his betrothed? Everyone assumed they had a heated argument and might have killed her in act of rage. There were those who did not dare to inquire about what happened to his fiancé for they feared he would probably snap and kill them too. Well, if he had in fact killed his fiancé, it would seem like a logical reason for her disappearance and that was the subject Jane Dorsey decided to present to Pamela Westinburgh, her dear friend and cousin. At the moment, they were having tea and reading quietly.

“It could be true, you know.” Jane said, interrupting the silence in the room. “The Marquess of Mayfair might have gone off and killed the poor woman.”

Jane had chosen a topic regarding the Marquess of Mayfair since she was finding it sorely difficult to get him out of her mind. How it had become such an interesting topic among society, there was no telling why. Gossip had a way of spreading like wild fire and making a mess of everything; even one’s social life.

“It is awful of you to speak ill of Lord Mayfair, especially a man you don’t even know. Really, it is horrible for you to say such a thing when you know very well it’s just gossip.” Pamela shook her head in dismay. “He is not a killer, Jane.”

“All I am saying is that he could be.” Jane replied, setting her book aside. “We have seen his mistress out and about for months and oh so suddenly, she’s gone. Poof! What else are we decent people to think?”

“He is very reserved, out of sight and out of mind and I have to wonder how on earth we started discussing the likes of him. It must be this weather or maybe he caught your eye and you’re just smitten. Well, it seems that I have reached my conclusion.” She said cheerfully.

“And what, pray tell, is that?” Jane snapped, a tad bit annoyed by her statement.

“He caught your eye, didn’t he?” Pamela was all smiles.

“I beg your pardon!”

“All I’m saying is that, it isn’t common that an uncommon person is uncommonly talked about in doors with Jane Dorsey. Unless, you were attracted to the man.”

“We spoke profusely about a number of people. Why do you find it odd now?”

“Jane, Jane, Jane…if you admire the man, there’s no reason to hide it.”

“I beg your pardon!” She gasped. Jane was red in the face. Her cheeks reddened as she let out a sigh of frustration.

“If you were the bell of the ball, I am quite certain you could woo him into love and marriage.” She teased.

Pamela was right on that score. While other ladies possessed beautiful curled hair and splendid attire, Jane was a plain brunette without a single curl in sight. She refused to curl her hair and chose dresses unsuited for her complexion. She had a small chin and mouth, yet her eyes were wide and brown, which gave her a unique look. Jane was dull when it came to fashion, but not at all unattractive. She knew very well she was no beauty to behold, but she was simple and possessed an elegance about her that others deemed an amiable quality.

Jane continued on about the marquess.“Pamela, he is…is—a cold-blooded killer! I don’t fall in love with dangerous men.”

“Perhaps you do. You could have candidly denied the sudden accusation, but instead you acted like a mad hen.” Pamela chuckled as she tipped a spoon of sugar into her teacup and stirred it gently. Not one bit moved by Jane’s little outburst.

“I did no such thing.” She straightened up in her chair. “I am merely shocked that you would accuse me of such a childish thing. Besides, you never accuse me of anything so...so...” She didn’t finish her sentence and mumbled to herself.

Pamela eyed her with an all-knowing smile. Jane abruptly folded her arms in dismay. It was certainly rude of her to accuse Jane of being smitten with the marquess. How, she wondered, did she come to that ridiculous conclusion? Jane hated the feeling she received from Pamela. If anything, Marcus was just another gentleman among society who needed to be gossiped about. Where was the fun in hiding his secrets? Jane sighed and Pamela did as well.

“Am I to sit here and be mocked?” Jane stood.

“I am not mocking you. I am only thinking what a lovely match you two would make. I already see a wedding in your future.” Pamela said.

“Enough of this childish behavior. I am asking you…I am begging you to desist.”

“You’re absolutely right…I apologize. Though I must say, he is quite the catch. I am sure you noticed that he is a handsome gentleman.” Pamela stated.

Jane let out a sigh of frustration. She didn’t understand why Pamela’s statement infuriated her very being, but she couldn’t help feeling so vulnerable, especially when it came to the subject of men. Perhaps, she was eluding reality that one day she’d have to marry and that day was coming soon. Pamela sat calmly in her seat and continued to sip her tea. Evidently, Pamela was rather enjoying that Jane was ruffled and all out of sorts.

Jane and Pamela grew up together in Devonshire since they were children and lived in London to attend numerous seasons. Jane was the niece of the Viscount of Portman, Andrew Westinburgh and the Viscountess, Emery Westinburgh. While they were her benefactors, Jane lived a comfortable life along side their daughter Pamela since they were so close in age.

Jane and her mother lived in another estate which her uncle had provided so Jane could stay in London to find a suitable husband. It did not bother him one bit that it had been a year since Jane had been offered a marriage proposal. Pamela, on the other hand, had not one.They were both in the marriage mart and still had not found a husband. Truthfully, they had no intention of finding a husband at all. Jane and Pamela refused to carry on like other desperate women in need of a husband. Suffice it to say that they were constantly on the hunt for new gossip and opportunities to expose those who were high ranking in society. Fun as it was, it has caused many suitors to avoid them completely. Unfortunately, Jane did not realize this.

Jane Dorsey was not the beauty of the ball, Eliza Henry was. Now she was not a pleasant person. Jane and Pamela gossiped to a great extent but Eliza Henry was another story to be told. To be in her presence was like being hitched to a moving carriage whilst being dragged across town. She never had anything pleasant to say, especially to other handsome women. Jane, too, was not very pleasant, but at least she had the decency to keep it to herself.

Eliza, however, saw herself above others, which was hardly a good attribute to have. In truth, it was said throughout society that she had been found in a compromising position. It wasn’t a surprise, because anyone could see she possessed the will power to destroy her own reputation.

Now here was a subject of conversation.

“If it is of any comfort to you, I shall make inquiries upon whether Eliza Henry has been compromised.” Pamela said, easing out of her chair.

“Oh, I forgot about that rumor.” Jane said, still a bit uneasy. “I suppose it’d be a good idea to add her to our list.”

“Which brings one thing to mind. While I’m gathering information on Eliza Henry, do get the truth on the marquess. We could probably solve a murder mystery.” Pamela said.

“Absolutely not!” Jane said with a frown. “I can’t go snooping about in secret. We couldn’t ask—”

“I didn’t say to ask anyone.” Pamela winked. “Just pry it out of him.”

“No! I will not. What if he is dangerous, and I get caught? I could be next on his list.” Jane said. She picked up her tea that had gone cold and took a sip.

“I say, get to know him…enough to where he is comfortable with you and then pose some questions. Pry around.” Jane sat in thought and Pamela waited for her reply.

“It’s a silly idea, but I find it intriguing somehow. So I will do it, so long as you don’t tease me and accuse me of having a tendre’ for the brute.”

“Good, then it is settled. We shall attend this week’s ball…and then let the fun begin.” Pamela smiled cunningly and Jane could not help but oblige her.

***

It was a delightful evening on the night of the ball to which every person, notorious or not, attended. Jane was delaying the carriages when Pamela called to her.

“Jane, the carriages are waiting! Hurry!” Jane emerged from the house and greeted her cousin, Zachary, Pamela’s brother.

“Hello, dear cousin. Sorry I am running late.” Jane appeared before him in a shiny blue gown. Her brunette hair was pinned up in sparkling jewels. She almost looked like Cinderella herself.

“You look dashing; surely anyone would ask your hand in marriage.” Zachary said.

“Oh, you jest. You know that there are other things to worry about than a proposal.”

Zachary laughed and assisted Jane onto the carriage and she sat next to Pamela. They were indeed anxious for more gossip, more victims.

“Tonight is the night,” Pamela said excitedly as the carriage lurched forward. “But I must leave early…”

“Leave? Whatever for?” Jane asked.

“My mother wants me home to meet someone. She said he is a very important man.”

“That leaves me with no one to confide in.” Jane said in disappointment.

“You could always come to me for anything,” Zachary said.

Jane gave a wry smile, “Oh, that isn’t necessary. I wouldn’t want to bore you with my constant jabbering.”

“Nonsense, Jane. You are always intriguing to talk to.” Jane glanced at Pamela. “I assume you girls are going to dance the night away?”

They smiled and laughed. “No, we have other things in mind.”

“Well, then I expect you two to behave.” He said sternly but playfully.

“We are not children, Zachary. I do hope you remember that.” Pamela said.

“I know, Pamela. It’s only because I have always seen you and Jane as little girls. I was only eighteen when you two were running wild.” Zachary smiled that knowing smile and winked at them.

Zachary Westinburgh was a very mellow man and never did he treat Jane and Pamela cruelly. He was patient with them in everything, but the elements he lacked as a gentleman were authority and strictness. Because he lacked such important qualities, Jane and Pamela often got away with everything. The two, put together, were mischievous and sly. They even provoked a confession out of an innocent man, Jacob Matthews, and all society shunned him. Petty, it was. Was kissing a woman in the dark a huge sin? Jane and Pamela were extremely content with themselves and paid no attention to Mr. Jacob Matthews after that.

Upon entering the ballroom, Zachary left their side to tend to his usual social circle, which was not very good of him. He should have known better than to leave his sister and cousin unattended. After all, they always had something cunning on their minds, devious and unwarranted ruses.

“I’m glad your brother doesn’t watch us like a hawk.” Jane stated with a sigh of relief.

“My brother isn’t the best chaperon. That’s one reason I like attending the events he goes to.” Pamela said.

Pamela led Jane to the corner of the room, out of earshot. They did this to observe society and eavesdrop. Pamela then spotted Eliza Henry at the farthest side of the room. Almost every gentleman stood beside her, eager for a dance. She was wearing a white gown as if she were planning a getaway wedding.

“Oh look, there’s Eliza Henry, all pretty and looking utterly desirable. Look how all those mongrels adore her unorthodox self. She’s a devil in disguise if you asked me.”

“I agree, Pamela. She is a devil in disguise.” Jane said, watching Eliza intently.

“Now, who knows more about Eliza Henry than Clara May?”

“I hear Samantha Bakersworth is more inclined to tell us.” Pamela said.

“Samantha Bakersworth indeed.” Jane replied.

Pamela eyed her victim with devouring eyes. “Jane, I think this is going to be the best season yet.” Eliza Henry was laughing in front of a few gentleman.

They laughed, but Jane’s merriment was brought to a halt as soon as she saw her victim entering the room. Jane’s eyes focused upon the Marquess of Mayfair. He walked into the room very smoothly; slowly treading the ballroom floor. He didn't want to draw attention to himself. A few acquaintances had shaken his hand and his expression was solemn, but polite.

Soon enough he made his way to the refreshment table to have a drink. Jane watched as he poured himself a glass. Everything about him was eerie and yet Jane felt excitement shoot its way through her, making her heart beat faster. Pamela then noticed Jane’s sudden silence.

“Jane, are you all right? What are you staring at?” Pamela followed her gaze and smiled. “Oh, I see you’ve found the marquess. Doesn’t he look dashing?”

Jane looked away and frowned. “He may be handsome, but that will not change my view of him. Anyone could see that he is a dangerous man.”

“What a very bold statement. A little cold, don’t you think? Dangerous, I love how you view him. It is utterly scandalous as well as romantic.” Pamela said. She winked at the marquess. Apparently, he saw her because he nodded with a crooked smile. “Oh, he definitely has that rakish quality.”

“Not at all, ” Jane said as if she were unmoved. She was a little bit disturbed knowing he was looking their way momentarily.

“My, you haven’t even met him and already there is hostility toward the poor man.” Pamela said.

“Perhaps I sense the truth, that he is a murderer. I shall easily die if ever I were to be in his presence. There’s no telling whether I’ll be next on his list.” Jane said.

“Let us hope you don’t. I need you alive to tell me if the mysterious Marquess of Mayfair is a murderer or not.” Pamela winked.

Jane took a good look at him again. Indeed, he was handsome. He had pale white skin and wavy black hair. He was a fine tall gentleman, seemingly quiet and serious, as if the only thing on his mind was leaving. She would never know why she resented him so much. Just then, the marquess was heading toward a darkened hall. He took a few glances back and retrieved a cigar from his pocket. A bad habit, Jane thought.

Jane took a deep breath and politely excused herself from her usual social circle. It was not easy leaving for Anna Montworth was greatly interested in what Jane had to say about Jane’s interesting encounter with a newly established and wealthy aristocrat.

“Miss Montworth, I apologize, but I really must be leaving.” Jane said.

“Oh won’t you tell me what he said?” Anna pleaded.

“I promise to tell you another time, but I really have to be leaving.” Jane said as she hurried into the hall where she saw Lord Marcus enter. Really, she was in over her head! Jane knew she was being a little too curious. Heaven knew what would happen next if he found her. She had already decided what she would say if he caught her. The famous excuse often used, “I was just looking for the washroom.”

Jane silently walked into the hall. She passed a vacant washroom and noticed that the last door on the right was ajar. Maybe he was in there. Jane slowly pushed the door open, but she felt something warm behind her that vibrated all her senses.

“Why are you following me?”

His voice rung deep and Jane turned around, knowing exactly who stood behind her.

What do I do? What do I do? She thought.

She heard him light a match and he let it burn at the thread of the candle upon the wall. Jane immediately saw his expression as his sapphire eyes lit up by the blaze of the candle.

It was quite uninviting and yet it wasn’t as frightening as she thought. Jane knew he was indeed very attractive, but also intimidating to the core. Jane bit at her lower lip and the Marquess stood with arms crossed, waiting for an answer. Jane stared into his eyes. It was intense and unwavering.

“Well?” He said. He didn’t look at all dangerous and yet Jane wished she had somewhere to hide. He stood very close. She noticed how tall and lean he appeared which made her feel extremely small in comparison.

“I was--I was just looking for the washroom.” She lied just as planned.

“The washrooms are in the very well lit hall on the other side.” He said with brows raised.

“But I…” She couldn’t speak.

“You know, I don’t like you very much, Miss Jane Dorsey, but you’re pretty enough for someone to take advantage of…here...in the dark. Is that what you want?” He said.

Jane stared at him blankly and did not know whether to say yes or no. He was so very calm, but stern. But of course not!

“Well?” he demanded softly.

“Yes—I mean, no! Of course not.” She frowned.

“Good. I think it is best you go back to your party; I’m sure there are many who are curious of your whereabouts.” He said. “Goodness knows, I sure don’t want to be caught by the eyes of society in this very moment and be forced to marry the likes of you.”

Just as he said that, a servant emerged out of nowhere and walked passed them. He glanced their way curiously. Marcus cleared his throat. “Evening.”

“Evening, your lordship.” He said as he disappeared. He knew very well how to mind his own business and Marcus was thankful for that.

“Nobody ever pays attention to what I do.” She began.

“Oh, but you are wrong.” His eyes narrowed at her. “Miss Dorsey, gossip spreads like wild fire as you know and you are a flame starter; a dangerous arsonist. Soon enough, your meddling will cause your ruin and above all, you lack decorum and amiable qualities needed if you are going to marry any of these sensible half-witted blokes. Young ladies, such as yourself, should stay out of a person's business--especially mine!”

With that, he stormed right past her and disappeared into what looked like a servant’s entry way. Jane was left speechless. Who did this man think he was? Jane had no other choice, but to return to the ball in deep thought. In that truthful, but hurtful tongue thrashing, Jane was moreover filled with guilt and disdain than satisfaction. A lump formed in her throat and tears settled at the rim of her lids, but they did not burst over. She then felt angry and more than ever she wanted to scream. There was nothing more she wanted to do than to find him and slap him in the face. Jane was furious and she doubted she would ever speak that horrid man again.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 10

Donate
Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:43 pm
ambeezy wrote a review...



Hello Certainly Love!

Not sure if you remember me or anything, but you donated points to me awhile back for my story "My Fair Gypsy". Anyways, I wanted to return the favor and read your book "Kiss the Damsel."

So here is my review for your first chapter:

First off your beginning has a great hook. Already I was wondering why Jane was thinking about Marcus. I was given the impression that she didn't like him that much. Then I read the part about the rumors of him supposedly murdering his fiancé. Fyi, I totally love a story where one of the main characters suspects the other main character of doing something insane, like murder. It makes me want to keep reading to the part where they finally meet each other so I can see how they interact.

Okay so on to the next part...

I really enjoyed the relationship between Jane and her cousin Pamela. You add in just the right dialogue to portray a genuine relationship as cousins and friends. I think the only part I was confused about regarding these characters is when Pamela all of a sudden brings up the topic of Eliza.

Now here was a subject of conversation.

“If it is of any comfort to you, I shall make inquiries upon whether Eliza Henry has been compromised.” Pamela said, easing out of her chair.


Were the paragraphs before this Jane's thoughts or Pamela thoughts?

Next, on to the ball scene!

Again, I like the relationship between the two cousins. It reminds me so much of my relationship with my own cousin and our endless shenanigans. I was actually surprised to read that Jane was a very mischievous girl. Curious I suspected, but I had the impression she was more of a wallflower kind of woman. Of course that changed when she followed Marcus out! Very bold move on her part since she practically disliked the man and accuse him of murder. I'm not sure what she was expecting to find by following him though?

Also, as I was reading, I was hoping there would be some interaction with that woman Eliza. Its obvious that the two cousins don't like her, so it would have been interesting to see how the three of them react to each other.

Lastly, the ending.

The interaction between Marcus and Jane is fantastic! I loved it! Marcus must have disliked Jane for awhile since he is very hostile to her, especially since they've never met before. I get that she is a gossiper, but almost all women were gossipers in that era. I'm very curious as to why he feels this strongly to this particular woman.

Anyways, to end this review I want to say that you have a great story thus far and I'm very intrigued. You describe your characters very well and I love the dialogue. I'll be reviewing chapter 2 soon!




User avatar
463 Reviews


Points: 12208
Reviews: 463

Donate
Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:24 pm
megsug wrote a review...



Hey, here as requested!
Because you have so many chapters, I won't get to every chapter right away. A lot of other people also want reviews, so it'll take me a while :)
You have so many reviews already. I skimmed through them, but I may repeat something. I'm sorry if that happens.

Oh, a Victorian novel! How exciting. You do a pretty fantastic job in imitating the style. I'll be interested to see if you continue with that.

Just a few things that bother me a bit.

“You know, I don’t like you very much, Miss Jane Dorsey, but you’re pretty enough for someone to take advantage of…here...in the dark. Is that what you want?”

Their relationship seems to be developing extremely fast. I get the impression that they haven't really had any conversations before, and now she's infatuated with him, and he has a strong dislike of her.
I rather like the infatuation dynamic, but his sudden dislike seems groundless and silly. I would understand irritation and aloofness, but I don't quite understand his blatant dislike. Perhaps this encounter could lead to such strong feelings later on.

He took a few glances back and retrieved a cigar from his pocket. A bad habit, Jane thought.

This wouldn't have been considered a bad habit yet. The fact that he's going alone to smoke it is a little strange though.

To be honest, everything else is wonderful. I'm desperately in love with Pamela. I think she's my favorite character at the moment. I'm intrigued and interested by the plot. I can't wait to see where this goes!

If you have any questions or comments, just let me know.
Onto the next chapter,
Megs~




User avatar
696 Reviews


Points: 5533
Reviews: 696

Donate
Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:16 pm
View Likes
Audy wrote a review...



Hey Certainly Love!

So, my first impressions of this is that we have a love story blooming between Jane and the dangerous/mysterious Mr. Daniel, and there seems to be a bit of a murder mystery going on too. Jane's role in the story seems to be that of a gossiper, or that of someone who ruins people's reputations, which was my interpretation for why Marcus threatened her there at the end. I think he knew Jane was up to no good, and it's plain he's guarded/secretive. But Jane is young and is having a little fun and maybe she's even bitter and resentful at this society where people are esteemed solely for their marriages and she doesn't really stand out as a suitor. In this sense, I think her conflict/meddling makes sense, all of these are just my first impressions and they may or may not be off.

I look most forward to how the dynamics between these characters progress, and to the mishaps and misadventures that Jane and Pamela get themselves into. I'm actually less interested in the murdering. We're told right up front what happens, or is assumed to happen, but there's no lead up to make us care about it. I do care about the dynamics between the characters though and I think it'd be an interesting story if we get to see how these women manipulate and get information to socially destroy their foes. I'm not too sure which of the two the story is heading in, but I'd hope that it can tackle the two things. Now, let's see about breaking this story apart a bit.

Plot & Structure

I think you do a good job of harkening an Austenesque style, all the formalities of speech etc. and you keep it consistent throughout. During this century, it was the birth of psychology, so lots of authors were super interested in the inner life of their characters, their introspection, dreams, etc. etc. which is why they read the way that they do, and why you often see pages upon pages of letters.

I actually think this could benefit from starting at the ball scene and removing or reconfiguring that talk between Pamela/Jane have in those first few paragraphs as they're drinking tea and moving that conversation onto the ball scene itself, maybe see them mingling more with other people as they talk between themselves?

This would keep the pace going straight from the beginning and we'll get the benefit from seeing them do something and getting the conflict of the story straight in the action of it. The beginning paragraph doesn't act much of a hook by itself because we don't know or care who Marcus Daniel is at that point, and not much was happening except that Jane and Pam were drinking tea. I was more interested in knowing who Marcus Daniel was when he made his introduction and we see him sort of go off to the side and keep to himself. It'd be cool if we get to see more of Eliza and her interactions with Jane straight off, or see some of those people who were shamed walk into the ball or something. Conflict, conflict, conflict to keep the story moving! One thing I love about this story is the balance though. There is promise of a love story, a murder mystery, and Victorian society life, marriages, character depth, so this is all very good and interesting in my book!

Writing

This is about the only diction error that I could find here:

warm behind her that vibrated all her senses.


Vibrating is not the right word-choice, perhaps something like startled her senses?

Some other things to keep in mind is to watch your point of view. Yes, this is third person, but third person has a lot of layers and it's important to keep it consistent, otherwise it reads sloppy. So for example:

Jane Dorsey found herself thinking about a gentleman she really didn’t care for, Marcus Daniel, the Marquess of Mayfair.


This lets us know that this is a third person point of view, and that we're reading the narration from Jane's limited perspective, because we hear her thoughts about Marcus, her concerns, we are introduced to Pamela from Jane's perspective, etc. The majority of the story is told this way, except for bits and pieces here and there where you slip out of that limited perspective and more into an all-knowing perspective. I tried to catch them all for you, it's not much -- but it is jarring.

She knew very well she was no beauty to behold, but she was simple and possessed an elegance about her that others deemed an amiable quality.


So this for example doesn't seem like something that would come out of Jane's perspective, do we ever think to ourselves, "Well I'm not the smartest but I've got an air about me that others love!" How would Jane know how she comes across to others? It seems like something that an outsider or all-knowing author narrator would say about a character.

And here:


They even provoked a confession out of an innocent man, Jacob Matthews, and all society shunned him. Petty, it was. Was kissing a woman in the dark a huge sin?


Another bit here where it seems like there's an all-knowing narration that interjects into the story. We're told from Jane's perspective that this was a huge scandal, so we know it's not Jane who is thinking about whether or not this was a huge sin.

Other than those spots, this comes across as very well written and thoughtful. I definitely trust that the story is in the right hands and that there's a lot more to come and a lot more questions that will be answered.


Characters

We see just a bare glimpse of the characters, so I'd like to see that play out more. I'd also like to see the relationship between Jane and Pam, Jane and Eliza, and Jane and Marcus and see the differences between these dynamics. I know there's only so much you can do in a first chapter! I think a good thing to keep in mind for future revisions is to show these characters as opposed to telling. So for example, we're told that Jane and Pam is mischievous, perhaps you might write a scene instead where we can see Jane at work?

Another thing I think could improve your characters is that bit here:

Truthfully, they had no intention of finding a husband at all. Jane and Pamela refused to carry on like other desperate women in need of a husband. Suffice it to say that they were constantly on the hunt for new gossip and opportunities to expose those who were high ranking in society.


I love the idea of these two girls exposing those of the high-ranks, but I'd like to see more conflict and development in the idea that they're not interested in marriage. That whole "not interested in marriage" is a modern idea rather than a Victorian one, it's true that there were women like that in Victorian-era, but it was still a huge deal even to those women!

Think of it this way: say today you have a woman who says she is not interested in the education system and she is not interested in going to college? That would be a *huge* deal to the parents and to anyone who care about these women, because education/college today= future, happiness, security.

Back then, marriage is what guaranteed future, happiness, security. So, I think it can help the development of these characters and the believability of the story if we get some insight as to *why* these women do not want future/happiness/security. They can want to pursue these things in a different way, but it'd be cool to show that in the story. Do these women have other talents that they think can grant them this?

That's all my suggestions for improvement so far :) Great story, and great writing and if you love this story, I absolutely believe you should go for it, it's a great premise! I'll be happy to chat this up if you have any questions, and if you're patient with me I'll be happy to continue on reviewing the next chapters as well ^__^

~ as always, Audy




User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 647
Reviews: 14

Donate
Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:22 am
View Likes
TexanMorrell wrote a review...



PRIDE AND PREJUDICE / DOWNTWON ABBY: CHILD BORN

There is such a thing as genre pandering, and it is not inherently evil; there are specific markets that sell specific stories that attract a specific people group. Now, as an amateur writer, I am no way qualified to accurately nail this story down to a specific genre. However, if one were to ask if I where interested in women gossiping over tea whilst reading quietly prior to attending a ball, I would tell them that I'd rather fly away on my fighter jet made out of biceps to a rhino throwing competition.

That being said, I will do my best to hold my testosterone at bay to review "Kiss the Damsel."

THE HOOK -

The hook is effective in the fact that, although in no way appealed to my A-typical manly interests, got me to ask the question, "why would this woman think about someone she doesn't care about?" I then proceeded to hope that she was thinking about a man whom she suspected to be either a serial killer, or better yet, a cereal killer.

THE STORY -

One of my wishes came true... sort of.

Jane Dorsey knows a mysterious man (*see loner) who had a fiance, but said bride to be hasn't been seen for awhile. Diagnosis? Murder. Clearly no other option. Fortunately, at this stage, our young heroine wants to dig for clues, and evidence to prove her recently assumed murderer is what she suspected.

So she snoops and gets caught, and we leave on an ambiguous cliff hanger of whether or not the man she doesn't really want to be thinking about is a cold, blue blooded killer.

THE GIST -

Tonight on Downton Abbey... this episode keeps die hard fans of the series intrigued. Additionally, this episode / story would keep average people who nothing about the series entertained as well. The focus is at first on a man, but a man who could in fact (Although unlikely) be involved in murder.

It's a narrative that shows promise of drifting away from the common trope that without man, woman cannot carry a story on their own. I say drift, because there is enough content to suggest this story could lean either way, and that leads to...

THE CRITIQUE -

As far as structure is concerned, this piece has been pretty well polished. The standard tendency for these types of stories to spend endless paragraphs describing every detail of the scenery, wardrobe, what have you. The plot continues forward and the varying sentence paragraph structure breaks up the action adequately. Furthermore the dialogue sounds relatively period, and for the most part sounds believable.

In regards to content I am only qualified to say that for the intended audience, the story is appealing and stays true to it's genre.

My greatest critique is that, although necessary for the plot, two females fail at the Bechdel Test right off the bat. For those readers not in the know, The Bechdel Test has three simple rules concerning film and literature...
1. A narrative must have at least two women in it who...
2. Have a conversation about...
3. Something besides a man.

Granted this plot (so far) is about a man who may or may not have actually committed murder, for the sake of feminists who also happen to like period dramas, I'm crossing my fingers that our protagonist evolves into a Edwardian Era Veronica Mars.

THE END -

When all is said and done, this is a good story that is in no way intended for my particular demographic. What that means is that it is an especially good story because it is not trying to please everyone. Such is the standard Hollywood model; when a story tries to appeal to everyone, it is not appealing to anyone.

So, for those of you who like period drama, intrigue, and potentially deadly mysteries, give Kiss the Damsel a read.

It looks like this story has a way to go, so to our author, "keep writing like your soul depends on it."




User avatar
232 Reviews


Points: 5846
Reviews: 232

Donate
Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:46 pm
View Likes
WillowPaw1 wrote a review...



Hello! Willow here to review as requesed.

Lucrezia mentioned most of the nitpicks, and I'll say the one I found. (Even if he already pointed them out. Oh well. :P)

There was no telling whether this man was concerned about anything or anyone, but himself.


You don't need the comma after "anyone".

You did a really good job editing this, I really didn't see any other mistakes. :)

This plot idea seems so interesting. It's ganna have romance (most likely), it's ganna have mystery, drama.... And you've started it off very well. I really like this idea, about this supposed "killer".

Your character development is wonderful as well. They are already strongly created, and the readers can have a sense of what their personality is.
Jane, she seems chatty around friends, but nervous around people she doesn't know.
And Pamela seems like a good cousin/friend. I really like your description of the characters you put in here.

The last thing I'm going to gush about is the dialogue/actual writing. It's seems so formal, which in this story is perfect.
I love how they barely speak in contractions—again, it makes it seem formal.

Anyways, this is getting super good, already! And I'm only on chapter one!

WillowPaw1~

PS I've never read Pride and Prejudice so that may affect my review.




Random avatar

Points: 17243
Reviews: 328

Donate
Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:26 pm
View Likes
deleted30 wrote a review...



Hi there! Lucrezia here for a review, as requested.

Can I just say that I love this story for a second? Because I honestly do. I'm aware I've only read the first chapter, but already you've sucked me in. Everything's just... perfect. In fact, prepare yourself to hear an abundance of that word, because it's the only way I can describe how good this is.

Your character development is amazing. It's only the first chapter, yet I feel like I know the characters already. Jane's very relatable and interesting, as are the other cast of characters in this. The mysteries at the core of this seem really intriguing, and already I'm eager to find out the answers.

I loved your description of Jane. All of your descriptions, for that matter. I actually wish you had put in just a bit more, though—maybe describe the settings, what everything around the characters looked like, et cetera. But the descriptions that were in this were just lovely. <3

Pacing was pretty perfect, as well. The story moved along neither too fast nor too slow. Quite impressive.

I loved the dialogue. It all felt accurate to the time period, but also was snappy and humorous and interesting. The relationship between Jane and Pamela was very sweet and realistic, not to mention highly entertaining. ;)

Also, your narrative voice is fantastic. <3

Okay, now that some of the fun praise is out of the way, I'll move on to the nitpicks.

was concerned about anything or anyone, but himself.


Remove the comma after "anyone."

there was one day where Jane had the opportunity to hear him speak which was on the day of his cousin Victor’s funeral. After that day


"Day" is repetitive here.

Gossip had a way of spreading like wild fire and making a mess of everything; even one’s social life.


Love this line. But I'd switch the semicolon to either a comma or, better yet, an em dash.

It must be this weather or maybe he caught your eye and you’re just smitten. Well, it seems that I have reached my conclusion.” She said cheerfully.


This felt a bit fast. I'd switch the period following "smitten" to dot-dot-dots to give a feeling of suspense and thoughtfulness as she reaches her "conclusion." Oh, and change the S in "she" to lowercase.

If you were the bell of the ball


Should be "belle."

Perhaps, she was eluding reality that one day she’d have to marry


Remove the comma following "perhaps."

“I didn’t say to ask anyone.”


I'd write "ask" in italics, personally, but that's kind of a stylistic choice so it's up to you.

Jane gave a wry smile, “Oh, that isn’t necessary."


Change the comma following "smile" to a period.

“Well, then I expect you two to behave.” He said sternly


Whenever you write a he said/she said/speaker's tag, you don't need to capitalize the first letter, even if it's following a period/question mark/exclamation point. So, in this case, the H in "he" should be lowercase. ;)

Zachary smiled that knowing smile


This didn't sound too great. The easier (and smoother) way to write this would be, "Zachary smiled knowingly."

Eliza Henry was laughing in front of a few gentleman.

They laughed


"Laughing/laughed" feels a bit repetitive here.

“Oh won’t you tell me what he said?"


Comma after "oh."

What do I do? What do I do? She thought.


The S in "she" should be lowercase.

Jane knew he was indeed very attractive, but also intimidating to the core. Jane bit at her lower lip and the Marquess stood with arms crossed, waiting for an answer. Jane stared into his eyes. It was intense and unwavering.


"Jane" is used a lot here and feels repetitive. Also, if you're referring to his eyes at the end there, change the "it" to "they."

“Well?” He said.


H in "he" should be lowercase here, as well.

“I was--I was just looking for the washroom.” She lied just as planned.

“The washrooms are in the very well lit hall on the other side.” He said with brows raised.


The "she lied/he said" should begin with a lowercase letter. ;)

“You know, I don’t like you very much, Miss Jane Dorsey, but you’re pretty enough for someone to take advantage of…here...in the dark. Is that what you want?” He said.


Same nitpick as the above; change the H in "he" to lowercase.

Here's two more nitpicks with the same little issue:

“Good. I think it is best you go back to your party; I’m sure there are many who are curious of your whereabouts.” He said.


“Evening, your lordship.” He said


Jane had no other choice, but to return to the ball in deep thought.


Delete the comma following "choice."

and she doubted she would ever speak that horrid man again.


You forgot the "to" before "that" and after "speak." ;)

Okay! Nitpicks out of the way, I truly did adore this piece. It was extremely well-written, captivating, and kept me interested the whole time. A serious page-turner.

Well done and keep up the great work! :D




User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:22 pm
View Likes
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there! Noelle here to review as requested!

Okay, so I feel terrible because I can't give you a good review. Not that it isn't possible, but this chapter is just so wonderful that I have nothing bad to say about it!

You said that this ended up being like Pride and Prejudice; it sure does seem like it. I haven't read the book or seen the movie, but I can tell by the formality that this is written with that it is very much like it. You did a good job writing to the time period (I'm assuming it takes place in the sameish time period as well). I'm really impressed with how you wrote this. It's quite formal and sophisticated.

Your characters are great. You've done a good job developing them here in this chapter. I'd love to find out more about this marquess. He seems like a very interesting, complicated character. I've got high hopes for his character. No pressure ;)

Overall this is a great chapter. Like I said, I didn't find anything to really correct or point out. Keep up the good work!

Keep writing!
**Noelle**






Thank you! I must warn you that I only edited the second chapter and plan to put in more new edits on YWS for it. Maybe today. The rest of the chapter up to 13 are not edited and have been untouched since 2006. I wouldn't want you to read chapter three and on since I need to do some massive revisions. Thanks a bunch!



User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 862
Reviews: 53

Donate
Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:45 pm
Certainly Love says...



Need more reviews...




User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 862
Reviews: 53

Donate
Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:44 am
Certainly Love says...



Edits have been made!




User avatar
111 Reviews


Points: 12486
Reviews: 111

Donate
Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:39 am
rawrafied wrote a review...



Loved: 'Why this bothered...was very vexing.' Lol'd at "I beg your pardon!" "Your are pardoned." Loved the hypocrisy of '...not found the right husband. Not that they were even looking' despite saying they were in the marriage market a sentence ago. xD

Oh~~~, interest plot starter of the deal to have Pamela and Jane investigate rumors. I wonder in the two rumors are intertwined in some way. ;D

'Jane gave a wry smile'. Hmmm, I wonder if she's nervous about what the girls have been gossiping about as of late or if there is more to be observed here in regards to Zachary?

Lol'd at her accidentally saying 'yes' at Marcus's suggestion. xD

Loved Marcus's speech to Jane. Although it seems like she does it for sport and not to intentionally cause harm, it's still snooping and rude. Plus, considering the recent funeral, I can't imagine him being of good temperament. So, someone snooping would be very difficult to deal with in that mind-set.

Some grammar errors. Should be a colon, not semi-colon at 'Westinburgh; her dear friend.' Should use a comma, not a period when a quote is tagged with a statement that describes how or stating that something is spoken. Same rule applied with using a comma at the end of a quote tag. In some spots, you have both a period and comma next to one another. You have a double word at "well it it seems." I think you left in some of your corrections in parenthesis. Remove 'my' between 'not one bit moved' and 'by Jane's hissy fit.' Removed 'that' between 'gentleman among society' and 'who needed'. Remove 'a' between 'to a great' and 'extent but Eliza'. Remove the extra 'still' before 'still a bit uneasy'. Remove 'thingelements' and put 'the ELEMENTS he lacked' and remove 'was' between 'as a gentleman' and 'were authority'.

Regardless, was an entertaining read. :3






Hey for some reason the document uploaded the original draft instead of the actual edits. Marcus' speech to Jane is much more elaborated and cut throat like in my new edit. I must re-upload the document with all the corrections. Thank you! :)



rawrafied says...


Ah, yes. It reads much better now. Loved the line "...gossip spreads like...a flame starter." :D





I just uploaded the new edited document! :)





Oh great! :) I am so satisfied with the new revisions! Thank you again!



User avatar
21 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 21

Donate
Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:49 am
mandylynn16 wrote a review...



Amanda-(i hope :) )

I started reading this story and I was having a great time. Then we had to leave, and I closed it down.
...I literally couldn't wait to get back and finish it!! And that was just the first chapter...:):):) I will definitely read the rest, but I just wanted to post my thoughts on the first chapter. It is a great beginning to an assuradly excellent novel and I want to compliment you on a job well done!

I've never been that great at critiquing, aka, finding the negatives, but if it means anything, I found no errors.

And now, you have someone to read your stories. A not-so-great someone, but I will read them and tell you what I think. !!:D!!




User avatar
21 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 21

Donate
Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:49 am
mandylynn16 says...



sorry, computer repeated my post, so I deleted one...sort of




User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 862
Reviews: 53

Donate
Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:53 am
Certainly Love says...



Actually that's really how it was supposed to be, it was just a minor error, but thanks for your concern.




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 82

Donate
Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:47 am
misspriss wrote a review...



When Pamela smiles, I believe the correct way to spell it would be cunningly instead of cunning. I'm not trying to be a snob or anything.

“Good, then it is settled. We shall attend this week’s ball…and then let the fun begin.” Pamela smiled :arrow: cunning and Jane could not help but oblige her.




User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 20

Donate
Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:24 am
falling in love says...



OMG. I absoluely loved it. I will definetly read more. Okay I can't spell. Anywyas, It sounds so much like mine and Kay Kay's writing. That's so awesome. No crit.




User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 862
Reviews: 53

Donate

User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 862
Reviews: 53

Donate
Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:46 am
Certainly Love says...



Well, here's chapter one if you care to read it.





"The trouble with Borrowing another mind was, you always felt out of place when you got back to your own body, and Granny was the first person ever to read the mind of a building. Now she was feeling big and gritty and full of passages. 'Are you all right?' Granny nodded, and opened her windows. She extended her east and west wings and tried to concentrate on the tiny cup held in her pillars."
— Terry Pratchett, Discworld: Equal Rites