z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence

The Stingrays: The Guraz's Revenge (Prologue)

by TheLegend


Prologue

Captain's log: Date of 213 in Flower Bloom. I, Captain Blux Spake, note that a the race we call the humans have landed on Cruxian. I have sent down a crew to observe these strange aliens. So far, my crew has not been heard from. The leader of my race, Honorable Krux Lanve, King and General of the Guraz, has warned me to not interfere with these humans. I am denying his request, for that I fear that the humans are growing too strong and that the may one day take our homeworld. I will land my vessel with my crew in the molten center of the earth and wait till the humans are at their weakest. Then I will kill each and every one of those vermin. Till that day, me and my crew will wait, like a snake waiting for its next meal.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
4101 Reviews


Points: 254038
Reviews: 4101

Donate
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:09 am
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!

Anyway let's get right to it,

Captain's log: Date of 213 in Flower Bloom. I, Captain Blux Spake, note that a the race we call the humans have landed on Cruxian. I have sent down a crew to observe these strange aliens. So far, my crew has not been heard from. The leader of my race, Honorable Krux Lanve, King and General of the Guraz, has warned me to not interfere with these humans. I am denying his request, for that I fear that the humans are growing too strong and that the may one day take our homeworld. I will land my vessel with my crew in the molten center of the earth and wait till the humans are at their weakest. Then I will kill each and every one of those vermin. Till that day, me and my crew will wait, like a snake waiting for its next meal.


Well, that was a pretty threatening start there to that prologue, not everyday that you see something starting off with someone promising to themselves that they will be going to and eradicating all the humans from a place...definitely gets your attention this one as a reader.

The setup to the whole thing does appear to be quite realistic here...well as realistic as an alien species deciding to eradicate humans are...but essentially, I love how there's a person that notices the aliens, gets ordered by I assume some form of higher command to not do anything but they decide to go rogue and take out the humans because they fear that the humans could be planning some sort of invasion.

It does makes sense that an alien civilization that observed the humans would come to a conclusion like that, not to mention the fact that the person who's making this choice is doing it alone and not obeying his ruler also makes sense cause I can't imagine a killing like that sanctioned by the king would reflect very well on a species...so all in all, a rather plausible and rather scary potential end for humans there....aaand well I'd say that makes for a pretty solid prologue, one that I'd certainly read. :D

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar


Points: 690
Reviews: 4

Donate
Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:24 pm
CrystalWoolf wrote a review...



You are going to continue right? Sorry I must ask that since it seems as if this will make a good story. Admittedly I typically do not like Science Fiction, and I never really have but the beginning of this intrigues me. Like another person mentioned below I like the voice you used for the captain. You took on his point of view even calling humans vermin which I can applaud you for, not that I think we really are vermin. I wish you luck n this story and would love to read more.

Honestly I cannot find any problems with this at the moment unless of course you are not planning on continuing, in which case there is a HUGE problem. Taunting us with a prologue just isn't fair.

Actually I take my original words back I can spot one error, or awkwardly phrased sentence towards the end that says the following:

"I am denying the request, for that I fear that the humans are growing too strong and that the may one day take our homeworld."

Okay I would have phrased this as, "I am denying the request because I fear that the humans are growing too strong and may one day conquer our home world." You could of course still use the word "take" but you have an excess of words in the sentence that ruins the flow.

Other than this sentence and the shortness I found this to be a rather nice, if small, piece of work. I honestly look forward to reading more.




User avatar
212 Reviews


Points: 13620
Reviews: 212

Donate
Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:20 pm
View Likes
birk wrote a review...



Hey Legend!

I love science fiction, so obviously I was drawn to this piece.

Now, this work does have a lot of issues though. Namely, it's very small and filled with expositions.

What I would have you do is expand on the piece, a lot. You can add more backstory to these guys we are following, and expand on their contact and experience with the humans. This would remove the need for all this exposition, which kills any way of proper storytelling.

Ok then, what do I like?
Well, I really like your main character. Some stubborn, hotheaded guy who is in command of a spacecraft and it's crew.

What I would do is tweak the story you have got here, into this starship Captain of an alien race's first contact with the humans in space. Maybe they happen upon a human exploration vessel in space and the stubborn Captain decides to follow this vessel to where it came from.

And add in some dialogue. Dialogue is a hard thing to master, it would be interesting to see how you do.

Think it over on how you wish to continue this, and you could have an interesting story.

Birkhoff




TheLegend says...


Thanks for your advice. The main story is actually based around a human a millennium later and the space captain is the main antagonist of the story but i really like your idea and will expand on it.



User avatar
24 Reviews


Points: 338
Reviews: 24

Donate
Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:47 am
View Likes
Basil wrote a review...



It's very good! I like the formality of it, and how you capture the character's 'voice' in the paragraph. I'd love to hear more of it too!

Just a few words of advice: Maybe explain more about this planet/world Cruxian. It's a great idea! But I'd like to know more about it, and I think I can say the same for many other people. Also, what are the natives of Cruxian?

Overall, it is a lovely piece and I reckon you should keep going!! I'd love to know what Captain Blux Spake will do with these humans too ;) Good luck!!!




TheLegend says...


The captain is the antagonist of the story. i probably should have said something about it in the writing to let people know the story isn't based around him. But i will defently take into consideration ur idea of the natives and home world. thanks for ur help!.




It's Monday and you folks are beginning to wonder about the show, aren't you
— David Letterman