z

Young Writers Society

What is the Best Book you have read...

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:09 am
View Likes
Night Mistress says...

What is the best book you have read and why?

I think the best book that I've read so far is... I don't know. I have read a whole lot of books and I would re-read some of them over and over again.
Last edited by BenFranks on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Grammar edit for sticky
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:12 am
View Likes
Antigone Cadmus says...

The best book I have ever read is A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.

It is very original and takes a different point of view on violence then most books (a slightly positive one). It is a brilliant representation of the future and the moral decay of society,
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:17 am
Clo says...

It's hard to pick the best. I'm just going to shout "anything by Kurt Vonnegut" and run away.
How am I not myself?

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:07 am
Lauren says...

I'm an absolute classics-nerd, so would have to say Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte or Middlemarch by George Eliot.
In terms of contemporary fiction, I loved Atonement by Ian McEwan, After You'd Gone by Maggie O'Farrell and Half Broken Things (a must-read!) by Morag Joss.

I suppose I haven't got an ultimate favourite!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:38 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Authors have a signal favourite book? Huh. Wouldn't have guessed.

Well, I have a like-to-re-read list over a dozen long, but my top favourites are:

In the Hand of the Goddess (Peirce). It's got so many laires of character development I adore it.
Emperor Mage (Peirce) Look above
Page (Peirce) I love Neal (A guy with a wit that could cut steal) and the way the characters are totally different from the cliches.
Eragon (Paolini) I love the plot. I love the twists. I adore the style.
Dragonquest (Donita K. Paul) Very natural characters, with good gripping scenes most of the way through.

All the rest are Peirce and would take me an hour to list the books and reasons.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:59 pm
Master_Yoda says...

This is such a hard question to answer. So many to choose from :).
I'll have to give a top 5 in no particular order:
1) Ender's Game -- Orson Scott Card
2) The Lord of the Rings -- J R R Tolkien
3) Harry Potter -- J K Rowling
4) Death in Vienna -- Daniel Silva
5) The Kite Runner -- Khaled Husseini

Ciao 8)

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:03 pm
Blink says...

1984, by George Orwell. I'm a little obsessed about this book at the moment, but it's simply incredible. Like, wow.

And The Book Thief (Marcus Zusak) and The Lord of the Rings (Tolkien), of course.
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:10 pm
dr paradise says...

Writing should be on the agenda for everyone. There is not one person that doesn't have something that would interest others. Writing your own poem, novel, or anything put into words electronically or on paper is like pasting some of yourself in a place for the future. Writing is putting your thoughts in stone and allows people to see you better, know how you think and what you like. I love writing and it all came from a love of reading.

I just finished a five book series and I am waiting for some kind person to give me some honest reviews, good or bad, that is what allows me to make better and better books.

Two of the five books are on Amazon and can be found easily, you don't have to buy the book to give me an opinion, but you can preview it on line. A Beckoning From Paradise is a book about a young man who had been adopted before age one and raised by an older couple who gave him the best education possible. He is eventually called back to his tribe by spiritual powers that are being written about in a follow up book that will come out in two or three years. The second book of this series, Secrets of Paradise, is an ongoing adventure which follows our hero, Harry Raven, as he uncovers the mysteries of his heritage.

Reading should begin as early as possible. There are many youngsters beginning to read at age two and three. Some start out by reading the names of their favorite store or toy, but parents should encourage reading and offer as much help as possible. Very few schools in today's world ask that parents don't teach reading. I was a teacher for thirty years and my best students were those who were reading before coming to school. Don't pass up your chance to do better in life, READ.

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:19 pm
scasha says...

This is definitley always a hard question, so I'll try to list my top books at this moment in time (it'll probably change in the next few minutes).

1) The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides(Best Book Ever, it's creepy, but pure win at the same time. Very touching, just oh-my-goodness awesome) Sam recommended it to me :-)
2) Persuasion by Jane Austen: If you love classical books, this one is my favorite Austen books. I read it for my Austen class at my school. It was one of her best books ever.
3) 1984 by George Orwell (I second the person above me) Very Innovative.
4) The Truth about Forever by Sarah Dessen: Simple, feeling, loving, awesome.
5) A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray: Haunting but absolultey beautifully written.

That's all I can think of for now.

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:52 pm
Nutty says...

Ugh....that's a hard question. Here are a few of my favourites-

Honoured Enemy- Raymond E Fiest
Magician- Ray. Fiest
The whole Drenai series- David Gemmel
The golden fool- Robin Hobb
Monstrous Regiment- Terry Pratchett
The Outsiders- S.E Hinton

I'll stop now or I'll list the whole bookshelf XD
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:02 pm
scotty.knows says...

L.A. Requiem by Robert Crais: Because Joe Pike is the coolest man to ever grace the pages of a novel. Edward Cullen would crap his pants if he ran into Joe Pike, all I've got to say. Joe Pike might be even cooler than Rambo.

The League of Night and Fog by David Morrell: Because Morrell concludes two novels with one by combining the two best character he ever invented. Epically good.

Duty Calls by Scott Dilts: Because I wrote it...
'Merikuh!

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:13 pm
niteowl says...

American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Funny how choosing a "favorite" book is so easy now that I've read it. It's exciting, funny, meaningful...pure awesomeness.

A few others that are near the top of my list: Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix, Hollow Kingdom trilogy by Claire Dunkle, Abarat by Clive Barker, Sword Dancer by Jennifer Roberson, Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, 1984 by George Orwell, The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, and The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:56 pm
Medusa says...

The historian takes the cake for me; i am a sucker for historical novels.
Alice: If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:56 pm
Rosendorn says...

What is it with the book 1984? Everybody seems to have read it but me!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:03 pm
View Likes
Antigone Cadmus says...

Blink wrote:1984, by George Orwell. I'm a little obsessed about this book at the moment, but it's simply incredible. Like, wow.

And The Book Thief (Marcus Zusak) and The Lord of the Rings (Tolkien), of course.

Oh my gosh! You have the exact same favorite books as me! Like no one at my school has heard of the first two and it's sooooo depressing.

Despite everything, it's still you.
— TobyFox