Young Writers Society

Classic Books in School

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:06 pm
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

(Inspired by a Tumblr post)

We've (probably) all had to read classic books in schools. Tell me, YWSers, which books did you enjoy? Which ones did you not enjoy?
I'll go first:

It's not exactly a classic, but the only book I've enjoyed reading in school is Percy Jackson in 4th grade. I've never read past the first book but it seems interesting so I might read it.

Now, I feel indifferent to most books we have to read, but I cannot stand The Joy Luck Club. I don't even know where I would start with this book to be honest.
Last edited by GengarIsBestBoy on Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That’s the thing with life: no one makes it out alive.

—Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice the Musical

[Gengar! :D they/she]
[Spooky month fan, internet cryptid, certified nerd]

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:30 pm
View Likes
KocoCoko says...

I LOVED to Kill a Mockingbird with my whole heart. I actually bought myself my own copy I loved it that much. Same with the Outsiders. I can't really go into why I love them so much, but I just can't get over them. Probably the family dynamics. I'm a sucker for those.

Now... Books I hated? Lord of the Flies. I don't exactly believe in any of it's messages, I think it's really boring, and just so... ugh. It's a chore to get through and I hate how much it thinks it's right. Not technically a novel, but I hate Harrison Bergeron. It just feels so... dumb? Not dumb, I think the idea of it is really frightening, but like... I dunno. How it's portrayed is just super weird. Especially the ending? Not a fan.
they/she or she/they

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:47 pm
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

@KocoCoko I totally forgot about the outsiders! That book was cool too!
That’s the thing with life: no one makes it out alive.

—Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice the Musical

[Gengar! :D they/she]
[Spooky month fan, internet cryptid, certified nerd]

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:55 pm
View Likes
Lovestrike says...

I think the best classic I've ever read is The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde! I think it was one of the first books to actually get me out of a reading dry spell. Looking back now that I'm older reading it again, I see a lot of things I didn't before. That's cool! I've grown and the story has grown with me! =D

A book I hated is really tough because I don't hate books. I don't even really dislike books! I just sort of... read them and then forget they exist? That happened with Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. It was a well-written novella, don't get me wrong! The language made it hard for me to finish though.
Didn’t Sappho say her guts clutched up like this?
[Solstice, she/her]

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:10 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

I actually quite like Lord of the Flies! It wasn't assigned reading for me, though one of my teachers mentioned it in passing. I think the message about the 'dark side' of human behaviour appealed to me personally, but also I appreciated that for its time, the set-up of how Golding tried to convey the message was unique. (No one would have expected a bunch of choir boys from a fancy school to do what they did in that novel, as my lit teacher said!) I also appreciated the narrative structure so to speak. It never felt like a scene was just there for the sake of it. The Picture of Dorian Gray is really great as well -- a suspenseful read.

I think the assigned reading I enjoyed the most in school was The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson, and that was in . . . Year 4 of secondary school? (So that might be 10th grade in the US system.) I liked it thematically, and I also liked the grim atmospheric descriptions. I might have liked it even better if there had been less monologue in some parts, but hey, it was the fashion of the times.

I don't really hate books either, but one reading I didn't really *get* was Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities. It felt like there were a lot of historical allusions there that just flew over my head, and the narrative didn't always focus on the same set of characters, so I was left wondering 'hey, what happened to this guy' or 'wait, I thought the other guy was the main character here'. I also can't really remember 'first-hand' what happens in Great Expectations, though that might be because I sped-read that one in one night. I just know Great Expectations and The Picture of Dorian Gray are books my grandmother also read in college and she's mentioned them too before c:

As for liking classic books in classes . . . I can say I was probably the only one in my class who enjoyed reading them ^^' People were quite befuddled by my behaviour, but eh, to each their own.
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.
— Sigmund Freud