Young Writers Society

Social Month 2023

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:56 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Social Month 2023

We all love YWS. It is a special place on the internet where you can find other people with a shared love of writing. We may have all stumbled on to YWS to share our writing, but we often stay for the community.

To celebrate said community, we are delighted to announce that Social Month will be back in February 2023! During the month of February, there will be activities in the People's Tab and forums that will encourage conversation and fun.

Each week, events will be run by a different crew: Roleplay, Resource/Community, Poetry, and General Literature.

Activities will be introduced in this thread and in wall posts. Participation is easy: simply follow the prompt, hashtag or attend the pad party to get involved! We ask that you include the hashtags included in the prompts so that we can link all that kindness together.

As always, please follow the Site Rules for community interaction, respect your fellow YWSers' wishes and keep it family-friendly!

Check back in here if you have any questions, and subscribe to this thread to see the weekly updates! (You can do that by clicking the black box underneath the thread title that says 'subscribe'.)

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:03 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Social Month Badges

Would you like to add some cool new badges to your trophy collection? Complete the following Social Month challenges!

To start, make a post in the Social Month Badges thread here. Then, post the links with a short description of what challenge/ badge you're trying to complete.

The challenges:

Social Month Participant Badge: link 1 post you made for any Social Month activity.

Social Month Connections Badge: link posts made on 5 different YWSer's walls for Social Month (so that would add up to 5 links, and 5 posts as well).

Social Month Correspondence Badge: make 5 replies on other people's Social Month posts, then link the posts you replied on.

Social Butterfly Badge: 20 total posts + replies made for Social Month (for this one, make sure to label your links in the log with either 'reply/comment' or 'wall post'. if an activity requires participation via literary comments or OOC posts in the RP forums, those count as a 'reply/comment')
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:27 am
View Likes
Shady says...

February 1+2
Week 1

Welcome to the very first event of Social Month 2023! This week we'll be focusing on the Roleplay section of the site, but first, we're going to kick things off with a round of good old-fashioned Truth or Dare!

To participate, set your status with the hashtags #truthordare and #socialmonth.
Commenters can post a truth or a dare for you to choose from, or they can comment those options on your wall. Remember to keep all interactions on YWS (i.e., don't exchange any real-life products or information) and all site rules apply.

Check back on February 3rd for the next challenge!

4100 Reviews

Reviews: 4100
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:39 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

February 3
Week 1

Welcome to the second event of Social Month 2023. We dive into a roleplay this time with a super simple rp hollow thread.

To participate, just make a post as one of your OC's. Its set in a large ballroom that's been left up to you to describe or not describe and all you have to is introduce your characters and then interact with others as they join in. Remember to follow all normal YWS rules and try to stay inside the ballroom itself. If you have any questions please ask them in the OOC thread. The link to the hollow is the image.
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:49 pm
View Likes
SilverNight says...

February 4
Week 1

Have you been looking for a chance to catch up on all your RPs? Check out our third event of Social Month, the RP Write-In!

To participate, join the fun in the pad.
You can invite fellow YWS roleplayers to join to you in writing a post, plan a new roleplay, work on an RP challenge for a badge-- or just chill with company! Remember, all YWS site rules apply on WFPs.

Check back on February 4th for the next challenge!
"silv is obsessed with heists" ~Omni

"silv why didn't you tell me you were obsessed with heists I thought we were friends" ~Ace

"y’all we outnumber silver let’s overthrow her >:]" ~winter

silver (she/they)

4100 Reviews

Reviews: 4100
Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:10 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

February 5
Week 1

And we're back with another exciting event for the roleplay section. This time we're diving into the wonderful world of memes.

To participate just create a meme/gif related to a roleplay you're participating in and post it with the hashtags #RPFunnies and #socialmonth in your status. Feel free to tag the other people in the roleplay in your post! Remember to keep them appropriate, as all site rules still apply.

Check back on February 6th for the next challenge!
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

935 Reviews

Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:46 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

February 6
Week 1

We’ve all heard the iconic writing advice: kill your darlings. As painful as it may be to remove chunks of your story or characters you’ve come to love, sometimes it’s what’s best for your narrative overall.

But what about the characters who do make the final cut? The loveable idiots you’ve come to adore, despite all their objectively poor choices and shortcomings? Roast them. That’s right, you heard me. The next Social Month activity brought to you by RP Crew is #RoastYourDarlings

Make a wall post where you explain your character badly. For example, “trauma baby who gets stabby instead of going to therapy” or “brainy intellectual who insults people then gets surprised when they’re offended” –- you get the idea. Get creative! Remember all YWS rules apply and be sure to tag your posts with #RoastYourDarlings and #SocialMonth!

Check back on February 7th for the next and final RP challenge!

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:22 am
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

February 7th

Week 1

Welcome all to the final day of RP week! We’re finishing this week off with a dive into what the Roleplay Thread is all about: community.

To join in the fun, just leave five encouraging OOC posts in roleplays that you’re not in. Remember to keep it upbeat and site appropriate!

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:56 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Social Month | Resource & Community Week

Hey friends! While you're wrapping up your RP/SB activities - we have another week of fun ready for you! Join your Resource & Community Mods each day this week for some fun celebrating the diverse, creative, and friendly community you find on YWS! Watch the People Tab for more information and participate in the hashtags and challenges all week long.

Feb 8

Art Prompt Challenge - @FireEyes

#TwoTruthsAndALie - @Shady

Feb 9 - 10

#PeopleTabQuiz - @lliyah

Feb 11

All Site Write-In, hosted by Resource Crew (@Shady)

#FunFact - @looseleaf

Feb 12

#WikipediaRace - @IcyFlame

Feb 13

#ResourceShoutout - Resource Crew

All Site Write-In, hosted by Resource Crew (@tatteredbones)

Feb 14

- Valentine's Day / Friendship Day!

#ShareACompliment - @looseleaf & @lliyah

#ShareAGif - @looseleaf & @lliyah

Watch Here & the People Tab for more info

p.s. don't forget you can earn badges by participating!
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:02 pm
View Likes
FireEyes says...

February 8th
Week 2

Welcome to week 2 of social month! Resources and Community crew will take over now with a new activity!

We will be doing a new Art Prompt. And the prompt for you is Something that Makes You Happy!

To participate, draw that little thing that puts a smile on your face, upload a picture of it to YWS and use the hashtags, #ArtPrompt and #SocialMonth.

Be sure all images follow site rules, now get to drawing!
I won't go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends
I'm taking back the life you stole
Came a time when every star fall brought you to tears again

-My Chemical Romance

935 Reviews

Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:46 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

February 8th
Week 2

Today's your lucky day, folks! Resources and Community crew actually has as second prompt for you on our first day: #TwoTruthsAndALie

To participate, go to your wall and post two factually true statements about yourself and one statement that is a lie. Then others will try to guess which of your three statements is the lie!

For example, I might post a status that's something like:

#TwoTruthsAndALie #SocialMonth

1. I am an ichthyologist
2. I am the youngest of seven children
3. Today I bought a Stetson to go along with my work uniform

Then you would have to determine which of those three statements is the lie. You can guess by replying to the comment directly or guessing on the person's wall, so you don't get biased by seeing others' guesses and potentially seeing the truth if the author reveals themselves!

Remember to tag your posts with #TwoTruthsAndALie and #SocialMonth and all site rules still apply!

[they/he]

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:13 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

February 9th - 10th
Week 2

We had so much fun getting to see some art about things that bring you joy and hearing those truths and lies! YWS has some interesting folks! Well time to learn a little more about each other with a POP QUIZ! Wait? WHAT? No not the type of quiz you have to study for, but a quiz to share more about yourself! :D That's right, we've got another round of #AlphabetAnswers! You can use the old versions of the quiz or a new version I'm posting below - answer the questions you like, skip the ones you don't.

Have fun! And comment on other people's posts if some of their answers surprise, shock, or interest you!

Remember to tag your posts with #AlphabetAnswers and #SocialMonth and all site rules still apply!

Are you a morning or night person?
Biggest Pet Peeve:
Collections?
Dream job:
(your go-to) Emoji:
Favorite YWS Work:
Greatest achievement:
Hardest part of the writing process:
If you won the lottery, what would you do?
Joke:
Know a fun fact?
Last read:
Main writing project:
Note to your past self:
One non-necessity you couldn't live without:
Person you admire:
Question you'd like people to answer below:
Reason to write:
Sports:
Tag a YWSer that's a good writer:
Ultimate color:
Volunteer?
What are you working on?
EXciting news:
Your favorite unlikely combination:
Zombies?

Code: Select all
[b]Are you a morning or night person?[/b]
[b]Biggest Pet Peeve:[/b]
[b]Collections?[/b]
[b]Dream job:[/b]
[b](your go-to) Emoji:[/b]
[b]Favorite YWS Work:[/b]
[b]Greatest achievement:[/b]
[b]Hardest part of the writing process:[/b]
[b]If you won the lottery, what would you do?[/b]
[b]Joke:[/b]
[b]Know a fun fact?[/b]
[b]Last read:[/b]
[b]Main writing project:[/b]
[b]Note to your past self:[/b]
[b]One non-necessity you couldn't live without:[/b]
[b]Person you admire:[/b]
[b]Question you'd like people to answer below:[/b]
[b]Reason to write:[/b]
[b]Sports:[/b]
[b]Tag a YWSer that's a good writer:[/b]
[b]Ultimate color:[/b]
[b]Volunteer?[/b]
[b]What are you working on?[/b]
[b]EXciting news:[/b]
[b]Your favorite unlikely combination:[/b]
[b]Zombies?[/b]

If you want to check out previous versions of this quiz, you're more than welcome to mix and match!

Spoiler! :

Original Version:
Current time:
Drink you last had:
Everyday starts with:
Favorite song:
Ghosts:
Holiday that makes you excited:
In love with:
Jealous of:
Killed anyone:
Last time you cried:
Middle Name/Main writing project:
Number of siblings:
One wish:
Person I last called:
Question you are often asked:
Reason to smile:
Song you last sang:
Time you woke up:
Unlikeliest thing you've ever done:
Vacation destination:
Worst habit:
X-rays:
Your favorite food:
Zodiac sign:

@MaybeAndrew's Revision
Animal:
Best creation:
Current activity:
Dream house:
Embarrassing secret:
Favorite unpopular thing:
Gills or wings:
Hardest thing to write for you:
Inside or outside:
Jail time:
Know any cool facts:
Little known thing about you
Music preferences:
Never have but always wanted to :
One superpower:
Piece you last reviewed:
Question about anything:
Rare skill:
Stories or poems?:
Unicorns?
Viral moments:
X is equal to what:
Your current project:
Zany habit:

NaPo Version first posted by @Liminality
[b]Alliteration or no? [/b]
[b]Blackout poetry? [/b]
[b]Commenting on other users' threads?[/b]
[b]Dark or happy themes?[/b]
[b]Enjambment?[/b]
[b]Fun in poetry jams? (WFPs poetry parties)[/b]
[b]Goals you'd like to share?[/b]
[b]How many poems?[/b]
[b]Including chickens or potatoes?[/b]
[b]Jam flavour?[/b]
[b]Keen on concrete imagery?[/b]
[b]Lowercase or uppercase??[/b]
[b]Music playlist for poetry writing?[/b]
[b]New or an experienced NaPo-er?[/b]
[b]Other poeting activities? (ex. collabing with other YWS users)[/b]
[b]Prose poetry?[/b]
[b]Quality or quantity? [/b]
[b]Rhyme?[/b]
[b]Structured poetry?[/b]
[b]Thread theme?[/b]
[b]U READY?!?![/b]
[b]Voiceovers in your thread?[/b]
[b]Why NaPo?[/b]
[b]Xylophone - would you use this word in a poem?[/b]
[b]YWS NaPo Activity? [/b]
[b]'Zeugma' - what does it mean??[/b]

you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

935 Reviews

Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:22 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

February 11th
Week 2

Resources and COMMUNITY crew is back with another event for social month: a good old-fashioned write-in. Come join us to work on any writing or school projects you might be working on, or just to hang out and chat! Remember that all YWS rules apply and to properly rate your section if you're working on a writing project that would need to be rated if posted on the site.

To participate, simply join the write-in pad!

[they/he]

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:54 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

February 11th
Week 2

Do you have a fun fact you desperately want to share? Have you been harboring random knowledge for weeks without any reasonable way to tell everyone about it? Well, do we have the hashtag for you: #funfact.

Today you can share any family-friendly fun fact on your wall without feeling weird about it! Family-friendly means no curse words, nothing explicit, or basically any fact you wouldn't want your grandma to learn.

Remember to tag your posts with #funfact and #SocialMonth!

1485 Reviews

Reviews: 1485
Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:44 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Back by popular demand, it's time for another…

February 11th
Week 2

For those who haven't heard of the Wikipedia game/race, the rules are as follows:

Players start on the same article, and must navigate to the target article, solely by clicking links within each article. The goal is to arrive at the target article in the fewest clicks (articles)!

Clicking on the image above will take you to our starting article. This time we’re aiming to get here.

How many can you complete the challenge in?

#wikirace

Make sure you marry someone who laughs at the same things you do.
— Holden Caulfield