z

Young Writers Society

Magic School Rejects [OOC]

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:11 am
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

Mt. Saint Helens in a mountain range, so that’s possible. Maybe Nianach Pinnacle, Yorkrey Rise, the Borland Tips. I’m just using a name generator, lol.
She/They/Fae

“the wist i knew would never allow a straight boy in their stories” ~Omni
“Hi Omni can I request wist get the role mom friend :]" ~winter
“ah yes, fear Wist's smile :) <- speaks of layers and layers of secrets” ~mint

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:26 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

I like the Borland Tips! Hmm for the bodies of water, I had a couple of ideas like Lacuna (for a lake mayhaps), Crab's Eye (somehow the shape of the land makes me think a little of crabs), the Irrigant, Mirror's Lake . . . Not sure if these have the vibe we're going for though.
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

31 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:55 am
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

I personally like the vibe of Crab’s Eye. Lacuna sounds so picturesque and beautiful.
She/They/Fae

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:13 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Meet Cain besties!

Name: Cain Heartly
Pronouns: He/They
Magic/ability: Blood manipulation. Think bloodbending.
Motivation for going to Lyndira: He wants to prove that he is teachable, and that his specialty is valuable.

Appearance: (drawing enspoilered below)
Personality: Just look at him man
History/background: He comes from a family where odd and creepy affinities run in the blood. The accepted and trained response to a new 'undesireable' affinity popping up is to teach the child in question to suppress it and let it die out on its own, but when his ability began to show he refused to let it fade. He wanted to be a powerful mage, a respected, revered, and knowledgeable mage in his own right, and he wanted his affinity to be at the center of his honed skillset. The challenge was finding a way to do that...ethically.

Spoiler! :
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:53 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Thanks for all the names, Wisteria and Lim!! <3 I've added them into the map of Alenda:

And here's a closer look at the area around Lyndira:
I'm thinking we'll start off in Ludus, trying to sneak into Lyndira. Perhaps there'll be some shenanigans with a rebel faction too?? I also have a couple of ideas for the Chalsi Ruins... Anyways, we'll have these maps in case we want to expand more, or if you all want to mention other cities in your characters' backgrounds or in your posts. :D

Also, Teddybear, Cain looks great! Love the drawing. :]
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

31 Reviews

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:57 am
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

In Omni's roleplay, we've established two anti-mage organizations: The newer First Scar and the older NPAD (Normal People Against Demons). In Omni's roleplay, NPAD recently disappeared from the area, so maybe they hoped the border because their schemes were uncovered. Just a thought.
She/They/Fae

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:28 am
View Likes
Omni says...

Here's Corden! :D

Name: Corden Malarvick
Pronouns: He/him
Magic/ability:His words have the ability to get people to do things... well kinda. So far only his snoring has been able to do this, and his subconscious isn't really the best area to persuade people.
Motivation for going to Lyndira: He has been telling people about his Affinity and they just won't believe him. He wants to go to Lyndira Academy to partly get some help with this, but also because he knows that this could end up being something huge, not just for him, but for a lot of people. He never really got into the mage thing before, but now he wants, and needs, to get into it fast. What better way than Lyndira?
Spoiler! :

Appearance:Corden is pretty tall and skinny and kind of unassuming. He has a fairly oval face and baby blue eyes. His skin is a dark brown, and he doesn't fuss with his hair or style all that much, but he has figured out that white is his color and he makes that very clear with his wardrobe.
Personality: Corden hides his insecurities behind humor, and makes that a large part of his personality. He's someone who goes with the flow and loves to be unbothered. What other people do, he doesn't really care unless it affects him. He's a really big person on "you stay in your lane, imma stay in mine." so his affinity definitely isn't something he takes lightly.
History/background: Corden's life growing up wasn't one that was great, but in his mind it was pretty average. He holds a lot of childhood trauma built up from living in the not great part of town in Ludus. His older brother kept him out of a lot of trouble, both in the streets and at home, so Corden grew up relatively happy, all things considered. His brother, Kayn, however, didn't have a great life. Kayn had to do a lot early on, but he did as much as he could to keep Corden out of trouble and into opportunities. Kayn always said that Corden would be the one to make something out of himself. So, when Corden started showing minor signs of magic, Kayn was overjoyed, saying this was his ticket to Lyndira. That was about five years ago. Kayn disappeared about four years ago. But, Corden tried. He really did, he gave it a good attempt to learn magic, but nothing ever came to him easily, and his attempts to get into a local academy or study on his own just ended in failure. When he turned 18, Corden's mom basically told him to get his life together or get out. So, he started really trying and eventually applied to Lyndira. A month ago, he got his first rejection. That has gone up to four, and now he's out of a home. So. Where else can he go but up? At least, that's his reasoning to try and sneak his way into Lyndira. He has nothing to lose now.
Other: Corden's subconscious has a terrible secret...
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

245 Reviews

Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:33 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

I really like that idea, Wist! I'm gonna copy over the description of NPAD from your character profile real quick:
Before the First Scar, there was the NPAD (Normal People Against Demons) and their "Realignment Protocol." They took over a city and turned it into a Militarized zone, where mages were often killed for discriminatory reasons and under cover of darkness.

And info about the First Scar from Lux Academy's OOC:
The First Scar is a group of non-mages within the country of Raptura who are calling for the official end of what they call "The Mage Reign." Their most public target is that of Lux Academy itself. They call magic and mages a blight on society and they cause more harm than good to the citizens of Rupturia, especially the non-mage ones. The heads of Lux Academy and Rupturia have paid little head to these complaints and movements, with some even calling it healthy competition, akin to the type of competition for the God Crystals.

I think it'd be really neat to have these organizations pop up sometime, either hopping the border as Wist said, or expanding into nearby countries like Alenda. :]

Also, Corden looks awesome, Omni! I'm quite curious what his snoring has done before >.> xD

And lastly, since making wfps for roleplays seems to be quite popular nowadays, I'll pop a link to a pad here: https://spearmint.writerfeedpad.com/38
I'll be hanging out there for a bit! ^^
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

4100 Reviews

Reviews: 4100
Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:23 pm
View Likes
KateHardy says...

It took me a bit longer than I expected to come up with this, but here's my character! :)

Spoiler! :
Name: Serafina Gianova
Pronouns: she/her
Magic/ability: Serafina has the ability to magically link lifeforms to one another so that when you do something to one of the lifeforms the same happens to the other. It would be powerful if it wasn't for the unfortunate fact that whatever happens to those linked life forms happen to her as well.
Motivation for going to Lyndira: Her ability if she doesn't master it properly has a very high probability of being rather dangerous to her. Given she doesn't have many other means to learn anything, this is her only way to make her own magic not be the cause of demise.

Appearance: Serafina is fairly tall, coming in just around six feet. She's rather thin, and its the sort of thin that comes from not having quite enough to eat. Despite that she's still stronger than she looks, although naturally she isn't that strong. She is pretty fast however. She's got fairly long midnight black hair, which has a slight natural curl to it. Her eyes are a vivid emerald green. She's usually weary very worn out trousers with some sort of shirt. Its not a surprise to see her barefoot too although she might find some sort of shoes to blend in better.
Personality: She's somewhat guarded. Having spent the better part of her teens on the streets she's learnt the hard way to be weary of people, especially ones that appear to be friendly. She's not necessarily standoffish or rude, just very neutral in her interactions with everyone until they earn her trust. Not having too many friends though she does tend to care quite a lot about the ones that do prove themselves to her. She also tends to think a lot and sometimes even talk to herself out loud, a habit of being alone a lot. This does sometimes lead to a bit of overthinking too to things that should otherwise be simple.
History/background: Serafina grew up in a fairly poor family on the outskirts of town. Her life was a pretty simple one up until she was around thirteen. She and her little sister didn't have a lot, but it was a happy childhood and they learnt to do a lot with the little they had.

Just about two months after her thirteenth birthday their house burnt down. Serafina was outside when it happened with her father. Her father immediately ran in to save her sister and mother. He managed to bring her sister out but neither he nor her mother ever made it out.

Since then, they've had to make do with what they can. Their relatives gave what they could, but it wasn't like too many of them were that much better of than they were. With her sister proving to be a rather powerful budding mage, Serafina set about working on the streets, doing what she could here and there, sometimes dipping into things that were of questionable legality all so she could get enough to add to what she got from her relatives to send her sister through a decent school while she had to pretty much teach herself everything she knew.

The one thing she allowed for herself was to get into Lyndira, knowing it could make a big difference. Unfortunately all the effort she went to ended up being wasted in rejection, not once but twice.

Now, going back into the streets to get enough to try again seems like more risk than maybe just sneaking into Lyndira and seeing what happens.
Other: As always Serafina is also about as straight as a circle.
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

245 Reviews

Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:28 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Serafina looks super cool, Harry! :D

And with that, it looks like we have a full cast! I'll get us started with my first post soon, as well as some post guidelines that I'll put in the OOC. Feel free to pop in the pad if you'd like to see what I have so far, or if you want to help come up with NPCs (thanks Lim!) or have your character answer fun questions! ^-^
mint, she/her

=D

31 Reviews

Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:31 pm
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

Yay, Harry! That’s awesome!

Also, a mood with the straight as a circle bit.
She/They/Fae

245 Reviews

Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:30 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

First post is up, whoo-hoo!! =D

Okay, so, post guidelines:
This is Realm, so medium-length posts are probably going to be the norm. If you'd like to collaborate with other writers, feel free to use the pad (link is in the first post of the OOC)! It's also totally fine to write a shorter post with your character's thoughts, then have other writers write their own posts (instead of collabing for one post). And I don't think we'll go with a posting order unless you all want to. :]
The pad will probably be our main brainstorming area, so please check it from time to time! For now, I'm thinking that everyone's intro posts will be their character's reaction to the rejection letter, and then our second posts will be orientation and we can start the actual sneaking in. :D Feel free to write all the way up to your character's arrival at Lyndira, or just some of their background! ^-^

And with that, I will step out of the way and let your imaginations run wild. Let the posting begin!! =DD
mint, she/her

=D

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:10 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

I've added Siang Yi's first post! Let me know if anything's off, I can edit it ^^' I'm sort of still coming up with what this 'project' of hers is on the fly, but the gist of it is that she's trying to find out why magic that can change the colours of things (which is basically changing how things appear to be to other people, kind of like a glamour if you're familiar with that term) sometimes works immediately and sometimes not. Should I . . . go check with the Lux Academy OOC thread if that's going to be okay for the magic system? (I kind of figured it blends science and magic pretty okay enough, and is also way too specific a topic to be able to contradict a major aspect of worldbuilding ^^')
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

245 Reviews

Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:38 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Great post, Lim!! ^-^ I'm pretty sure that's okay (changing the color of water seems like Primal Sense or maybe Artificing), though I'll tag @Omni just in case. Also, I love that Siang Yi's doing experiments with her power! It's a cool scientific approach to magic C:
mint, she/her

=D

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:33 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

Yep Primal Sense seems like the best fit for that :D
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known."
— Chuck Palahniuk