Magic School Rejects [OOC]

243 Reviews

Reviews: 243
Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:36 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

@HarryHardy Yep! There's one more spot left :D
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

243 Reviews

Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:19 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Also, I've made a map of Lyndira~! Assume there are doors and vents and hidden staircases and things... feel free to make up other stuff and add them too! ^-^

(the two yellow ones at the bottom are "spells classrooms" and "main courtyard")
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:27 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Hey just popping in real quick before work to catch up and you guys have certainly been busy heh

Okay so I mostly just skimmed everything so far, but I have a couple of questions. First, is magic something that can be learned or is it just an inherent ability that some people have? Because the looks of the types of powers you guys have so far seems like the kinda thing that lend themselves to a system where there's just an inherent ability that some or all people have, and the schooling is just to learn to hone and control that one thing.

So is there a secondary system of magic that people can learn if they don't have an inherent ability, or does everyone have one of those? And even so are there like, spells everyone could theoretically do if they learned how?

I hope I'm being clear enough here, the character I want to make is most likely going to be sort of inherently taboo if that makes sense. I've got a couple of ideas for gross/sinister seeming powers they could have. Their motivation will basically be trying to prove themself as a teachable and talented mage in a world that would rather they just let their power whither away. Something like blood control, the ability to spark intense emotion/intensify people's emotions at will, something similar to Rouge's powers (X-men) where they pull the life/power from others. Something along those kinds of lines where people would kinda be really worried about them actually getting good at their power and try to stop them from learning any more.

If they have any agency over what kind of power they have, though, that will obviously effect the characterization and backstory of my character here so I'd like to know that. Like, was diviniation-kid trying to be able to draw/see the future and it just manifested that was, or were they just born with that ability?

Does that make sense?

Edit: I re-read the first few posts and realized a lot of these questions were answered in there so ig that's settled. I'll have a character set up soon!
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

4092 Reviews

Reviews: 4092
Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:43 pm
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Thank youu!! I'll get to processing all of this lore and creating up a character then!
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

243 Reviews

Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:06 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Awesome! Just to clarify, we're having this RP take place in the same world as Lux Academy, where Omni's done a lot of worldbuilding. I'll quote the part about magic here:

Magic runs deep within the world, and all living beings are imbued with magic in some aspect. Mages are those of us who can channel their aura to manipulate the magic within themselves and all living things. Auras are physical representations of the magical ability within a person, and are often tailored to reflect one's soul, personality, and magical prowess. All mages can manipulate their auras to use magic generally and with specializations. Auras also act as a Mage' fuel source and defense. The stronger one's aura, the more durable one is and the more endurance one has in a magical duel. Mages also have an Affinity, a magical ability unique to the mage. One's Affinity depends on their aura, and often compliments their magic and fighting style.

So not everyone can use magic. Also, for this RP, the magic ability in the character sheet is pretty much your character's Affinity. Although I'm thinking mages can't usually choose their Affinities (for example, Prehnite didn't choose divination), they can choose to learn different kinds of magic like Symbology, Spellcrafting, Artificing, etc. Hopefully that makes sense! ^^
mint, she/her

=D

95 Reviews

Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:00 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Hey I'm working on some drawings and I realized I don't know the technology level or general comparable era this is set in. Like, are we talking full medieval garb? Modern? It doesn't seem like magic in this world would replace the need for the technologies we have now so do we have those?

Would our characters casual wear be like jeans and a t-shirt? Just aesthetic things but it's important.

he/they

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:34 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

okay okay okay I am going to join this! I'll work on a character soon ^^
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:38 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

@Teddybear this is from Lux Academy's worldbuilding, so @Spearmint might have Lyndira behave differently, but magic has been able to advance the progress of technology, and currently Lux Academy and its country of Rupturia has figured out how to use magic and technology to wirelessly communicate, and they have set up one of the first international communications towers. So, there definitely is technology within the world, according to Lux Academy ^^
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

95 Reviews

Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:13 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

So it's kinda vaguely futuristic then, but not so much that the aesthetic goes full sci-fi.

So as for clothes I can just do what I want then? I ask because I tend to do drawing for character profiles and throughout the rps and I like to be accurate.

Speaking of clothes, my assumption was the uniforms would be within the realm of jacket, button up, maybe a tie, and pants or a pleated skirt but do correct me if I'm wrong.

he/they

243 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:36 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Yeah, that sounds great, Teddybear! I was thinking sort of present-day vibes, but with magic as an essential part of the world, along with technology. (So yes indoor plumbing, but also yes door-locking spells.) ^-^ Also, I love that you're making drawings! C:
mint, she/her

=D

243 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:55 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

map of the world~

Ludus is where Lyndira is located! Not me being lazy and searching up Latin for school >.> Let me know if you guys have city names, or mountain range names, or any other names…! :P
Last edited by Spearmint on Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
mint, she/her

=D

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:59 am
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

I found the names Anwir, Cozbi, and Dolion.
She/They/Fae

“the wist i knew would never allow a straight boy in their stories” ~Omni
“Hi Omni can I request wist get the role mom friend :]" ~winter
“ah yes, fear Wist's smile :) <- speaks of layers and layers of secrets” ~mint

243 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:00 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Ooh neat! Any preference for where they’re located?
mint, she/her

=D

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:03 am
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

No. Not particularly. Just throwing names out there. What’s the vibe of the Mountains because we can a name like The Forbidden Highlands or something.
She/They/Fae

“the wist i knew would never allow a straight boy in their stories” ~Omni
“Hi Omni can I request wist get the role mom friend :]" ~winter
“ah yes, fear Wist's smile :) <- speaks of layers and layers of secrets” ~mint

243 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:07 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

I’m loving that name for the mountain range near the desert! I’m thinking the other two are slightly friendlier, though there might be a dormant volcano or two in the center mountain range. If that’s geographically plausible??
mint, she/her

=D

Ogres are like onions.
— Shrek