Use a daily timer so I don't forget to do my TT review
4%
I'm just going to write 30 reviews on June 31st
4%
I am hoping to become a tortoise
22%
Challenge a friend to a Review Challenge for motivation
4%
Procrastinate on writing by reviewing ;)
26%
Find a new YWS novel or poet to keep me reading
4%

Total votes : 23

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Mon May 23, 2022 8:58 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

THE GREAT TORTOISE RACE OF 2022

With a week left in May, it is time to announce something very exciting. You've been waiting patiently for it... THE GREAT TEAM TORTOISE RACE is back this June!! While every month reviewers have the opportunity to participate in Team Tortoise by reviewing every day, this June everyone is especially called upon to attempt this great feat and if you're able to write at least one review every day you'll even earn a special badge! This year several mods have also volunteered to be Team Tortoise Cheer Captains and will be encouraging the Tortoise reviewers throughout the month in this thread as they approach the finish line.

How to participate:

To participate write one review every day of June, starting June 1. The site will keep track of who is still active in the challenge on the Team Tortoise Leaderboards here. You can also update us on your progress or encourage those who are racing in this thread or on your wall with the hashtag #TeamTortoise!

Are you up to the race? Do you have questions or support to offer? Let us know below! And subscribe to this thread for encouragement all month long.

Good luck to you all and remember, slow and steady wins the race!
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

1227 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2022 8:59 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

TEAM TORTOISE LEGACY RECORD

Great Tortoise Race Winners 2017

- event thread
@Virgil, @BluesClues, @Magebird, @ExOmelas, @TheSilverFox

Great Tortoise Race Winners 2020

-event thread
@LittleLee, @mythh, @Seirre, @JabberHut, @IcyFlame, @LadyBug, @EternalRain, @starlitmind

Great Tortoise Race Winners 2021

- event thread
@HarryHardy @MailicedeNamedy @IcyFlame @LittleLee @Plume @starlitmind & @FireEyes @Spearmint

Team Tortoise Record Holders (100+ days)

- YWS Big Book of Records
@HarryHardy (21 months, ongoing), @starlitmind (13 months), @Plume (11 months), @ForeverYoung299 (9 months), @vampricone6783 (7 months), @MailicedeNamedy (6 months), @RandomTalks (4 months), @JabberHut (122 days), @FlamingPhoenix (119 days).

Great Tortoise Race Winners 2022

To Be Determined

~~~

TEAM TORTOISE REVIEW BANNER COLLECTION

(feel free to utilize any of these or create your own!)

The Classic Tortoise - designed by @Virgil 2017
Code: Select all
[img]http://i.imgur.com/eoTTn3G.jpg[/img]

Your Tortoise Buddy Banner - designed by @ReviewBuddy 2020
[img]https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/images/uploads/8147d1.png[/img]

#TeamTortoise - designed by @HarryHardy 2022
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Vv3rfNB.png[/img]

(submit your own banner to the thread to add to our showcase!)

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:05 pm
View Likes
Plume says...

AND WE'RE OFF!!

The Great Team Tortoise Race of 2022 is officially started!! Remember, to participate, write one or more reviews each day this month, starting with today, June 1st!!

Now, go forth and review!! Woohoo!!!

I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.

1227 Reviews

Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:38 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

The race is on!

Well done to our tortoises so far! We've got 13 reviewers who have begun racing emerging from the starting gate! The Great Tortoise Race is off to an exciting start with our tortoises: @IcyFlame @Liminality @HarryHardy @Eros @clarevelyn13 @LittleLee @Horisun @Plume @FireEyes @Spearmint @RandomTalks @Otterpop @vampricone6783! We shall see who will remain victorious to the end of the month. We're cheering you all on!

:D To stay in the race keep writing 1 review every day of June! Woohoo!

4075 Reviews

Reviews: 4075
Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:04 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

The race continues!

Its been 5 days now, and ten brave tortoises still remain in The Great Tortoise Race: @Horisun @HarryHardy @IcyFlame @LittleLee @Liminality @Plume @FireEyes @Spearmint @RandomTalks @vampricone6783 You guys have been doing a wonderful job and we look forward to seeing who stands victorious at the end of this month! Keep plodding along!

All it takes is one review every day!

Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:49 pm
View Likes
ReviewBuddy says...

You're all doing great and have almost made it a week! Keep up the good work, I'm proud of you Tortoises! :D

"We're reviewing everything to see how we can do it better, faster, and more efficiently."
-David Neeleman

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:45 pm
View Likes
ForeverYoung299 says...

one week done!

It has been one whole week and still ten brave tortoises have full energy to complete the Great Tortoise Race. Keep going great tortoises: @Horisun, @Liminality, @HarryHardy, @vampricone6783, @IcyFlame, @LittleLee, @Plume, @FireEyes, @Spearmint, @RandomTalks.

One review a day and you get a special badge!!

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:23 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

And We March On!

Its been ten days since the Great Tortoise Race began and we have already seen some brave tortoises hop in and out of the race. But this is a daunting journey and we must appreciate all those brave tortoises who have shown the courage to participate.

And so, before we move on to our remaining bunch, we should take a moment to congratulate @Horisun for completing one week. Even if they are no longer in the race, they have no doubt made incredible contributions to the site with their helpful reviews and feedback. But alas, we must go on!

We are now one-third of the way into the race and 9 tortoises continue to show their fierce determination and resilience as they march on towards the end line.

At the very top of the leaderboard, we have @Liminality leading the pack with 11 reviews.

Following close behind, we have @HarryHardy with 10 reviews and the rest of our tortoises - @IcyFlame, @LittleLee, @Plume, @FireEyes, @Spearmint, @RandomTalks and @vampricone6783, with 9 reviews each.

This brave group of tortoises are not only helping our aspiring writers and poets with their thorough and thoughtful reviews, but they are also doing a marvelous job of cleaning out the Green Room, one work at a time! They deserve a huge round of applause for their dedication and their irreplaceable contribution to the site!

Let's go tortoises! We have faith in you!

“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:21 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

KB Digest: How To Write a Good Critique by @Emerson

Hiya hiya! I hope you're all having a fantastic June. Here's a digest of an article from YWS's wonderful Knowledge Base. This article includes a set of elements to include in your review. It's basically a mini advice book on dos and don'ts of reviewing. The best part is: it comes with examples! Here is the point I thought to be the most useful, although the whole article is definitely worth a read.

Without the whys, your critique is empty fluff and does the writer no good at all.

The author of the article gives a perfect example for this, which you can read here. (Scroll down to the example for 'Whys')

Here is another good quote:

Never critique something by saying “This sucks” without saying why. In fact, don’t use harsh words while critiquing at all, be polite and caring. The point of critiquing is to encourage the writer to improve.

Now, just for fun, here is an example I have written myself based on the article.

Let's pretend I've written a one-line story as follows, and posted it as a work on YWS:

Farley's Misconception by Liminality

"Mario would be better if the entire game was really about plumbing," Farley decided one day in the middle of the common room, and surprisingly to him at least, no one spoke up to disagree, in fact, everyone simply walked away, in a grand gesture of solidarity.

A possible review for this could be:

Hi Liminality!

(compliments)

I liked the beginning of this one-line story because it was strange and eye-catching. I also like the concept because the idea of someone misinterpreting being boycotted as a "gesture of solidarity" is very unusual, which makes it amusing.

(critiques)

The ending was confusing because it wasn't clear who "everyone" was and who was narrating the story. I didn't like the format of the story being a one-liner because it seemed the irony needed more room to be explained.

Now just repeat that maybe two or three times, and you've got a fully-fledged review and a very happy author :D
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:30 pm
View Likes
FireEyes says...

It's the two week mark!

Hey tortoises! It's been a tough two weeks, yet we still have 8 people in the race: @IcyFlame @Liminality @HarryHardy @vampricone6783 @LittleLee @Plume @Spearmint and @RandomTalks.

Let's all encourage our racers as we are one day away from the halfway mark!

Just one review a day and you get a very special badge :D
I won't go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends
I'm taking back the life you stole
Came a time when every star fall brought you to tears again

-My Chemical Romance

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:44 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Review challenge, perhaps?

Hello! Check out this thread for a Review Template Challenge. You'll get a fun avvie edit if you participate. (P.S. You don't have to already be doing Team Tortoise to join in!)
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

Reviews: 1
Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:58 pm
View Likes
KotGRCommander says...

A Call to Our Brave knights!

We enter the last week of this race and we're down to seven brave reviewers. Huzzah! @IcyFlame @Liminality @HarryHardy @Plume @Spearmint @RandomTalks @vampricone6783. While we applaud them for their dedication and wish them luck with the week to come, I come bearing another call to action.

I'm here to encourage our brave knights of the green room, whether they are in the race or not, to gather our forces in an attempt to clear the green room of the many beasts that still remain.

There's a little over 50, which may sound daunting, but fear not. We are many and together we may overcome this great foe.

I leave you with one last piece of advice. Never use your shield as a dinner plate.

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:51 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

A huge round of applause for our dedicated group of Team Tortoise reviewers, all of whom fought valiantly throughout the month in their march towards the end line. The race might have seemed to be long and daunting at times, but these brave reviewers continued on with fierce determination, writing one review each day of the month and sharing their incredible wisdom and advice with the aspiring writers of YWS.

Now, let's give it up for the winners of The Great Team Tortoise Race 2022 : @Liminality, @IcyFlame, @HarryHardy, @RandomTalks, @Plume, @Spearmint and @vampricone6783. They have all contributed immensely to the site this month and they deserve to be recognized for their hard work, their impressive commitment and their incredibly helpful reviews! Congratulations, guys!

Also, a huge thank you to all those who participated and reviewed or simply spread the cheer this month. Because of our combined efforts, the Green Room has been cleared down to 44 works! Keep up the great work everybody! And remember, even though the race is over, all it takes is one review every day of the month, and you can be on Team Tortoise for the next month!

“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

how can i live laugh love in these conditions
— Orion42