Young Writers Society

LSS: The Last Word OOC

1232 Reviews

Reviews: 1232
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:10 am
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

Summary of the decisions / thoughts from yesterday:

-The "Last Word" (verbatim) is written in his calendar on that day where he´s killed.
- HOG sits with us. Julian (Plume) speaks with him about bookkeeping stuff => Julian is also working in the cover store.
- HOG is acting suspicious, he´s nervous and mutters...
- Maybe cop Albert has something to do with the murder
- The real culprit is somebody who we will determine during the RP after discussing with suspects, maybe his landlord, etc...

Plotrelated things:

- Start meeting on the evening of the murder?
- Julian (Plume) has to write the first post I guess so that Julian can call HOG to the table.
- Sophie, Caroline and Louis are coming together at the only table.
- Short interaction with HOG. He goes afterwards.
- Minutes later there are shoots (can one hear that in the speakeasy with the music? => maybe the owner comes and we should all live and tells about the murder)
- Maybe we are leaving from the back door and are going home, but we are meeting again because we can´t get away from HOG and his suspicious nature? (How would we know where Caroline and Louis live? Julian and Sophie would come back to work, I guess, but wouldn´t the speakeasy be at least closed for one or two days?)
- Going to the funeral => is that written in the newspaper?
- Meeting up with the parents afterwards and going to his flat.
- We find his calendar and the Last Word.
- From then on the RP would follow our own ideas.

On a personal matter:

I will be a little less active from 10th February to 20th February, but I will try to be here via mobile phone. My posts during this time will probably be a bit shorter.
Reality is a prison and time is its guard

I´m just a random girl with gentle manners

Every bad voice in your head was once outside

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:08 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Okay, I added my profile to the storybook. I added a section on character arc (since I saw @MailicedeNamedy had that for Sophie) as well as what her connection to the speakeasy was up until this point since we talked a little bit about that in the pad.

I think we're in a solid place, but anyone feel free to speak up if we should iron anything out before we start.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:18 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Awesome! One thing is the funeral wouldn't be in the newspaper. Obituaries and even funeral notices are pretty expensive so, unless the Priest paid for one for HOG, there wouldn't be a notice in the newspaper.

That raises the question, though, how would we hear about the funeral?

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:33 pm
View Likes
Plume says...

Maybe from the owner of the pharmacy/speakeasy, who maybe heard it through police? Not sure. But if through someone else, we don't have to think of a super logical reason.

It is a good question of why our characters would all reconvene after the initial incident - maybe they're all taken in for questioning or just grouped together to get witness statements, and then through a conversation they decide to solve the murder.
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.

1232 Reviews

Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:02 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

Maybe the priest put an obituary in the newspaper? Even if it is expensive, perhaps HOG was not only a believer but also a friend of his and also one who donated a lot to the Church and the priest then took the cheapest obituary he could, in order to at least give some kind of information. (This could also give the priest a bigger role in that he probably knows more about HOG than we do because HOG once went to confession). => Or the priest got the notification of the death of HOG, he knew about HOG´s true identity and contacted his parents. Could they make an obituary from Seattle via a telegram? Was that a thing? But that would also mean the funeral would be in HOG´s Greek name.

If not so, perhaps we will learn from the owner that HOG's body has now been taken to the funeral home by the coroner. (But where did he get the information?)

I think we come together because we feel guilty, or just feel like there's something wrong after HOG was with us that night.

142 Reviews

Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:50 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Would something like the obituary below work? It's from 1995, so it won't be the same thing, but something like this would give our characters quite a bit of information to carry on. It's also not a full obituary with life history, so it would be relatively cheap.

Maybe it wouldn't have his parents because the Priest did it and, because it was made by the Priest, it could have HOG instead of his Greek name.
Attachments
51690981_3e249f10-f038-4285-918a-4762f17fbda1.jpeg
51690981_3e249f10-f038-4285-918a-4762f17fbda1.jpeg (24.82 KiB) Viewed 201 times

142 Reviews

Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:37 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

So.. what are we thinking about for the first post? Or should we put a description of the roleplay on the first post of the actual thread first?

1232 Reviews

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:06 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

I thought it would be good if we started with "Chicago 1928. On a small side street of X.Avenue is a nondescript pharmacy store, etc...." and then "X stood at the door to go in" or "X ordered one of the most popular drinks" etc. I guess the possibilities are endless? That would then be the job of the first poster.

We can of course also have the first post with descriptions that are neutral and superordinate. Then everyone posts their first post where we come towards the speakeasy at the end, before we are still doing our stuff, etc...

Also, have we now decided on the code word to get into speakeasy?

142 Reviews

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:14 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Maybe a drug you can't usually get at a pharmacy?

1232 Reviews

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:24 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

We could also come up with a fake name that sounds like a medicament.

But we could also ask for petrol? Before there were proper gas stations, you bought fuel in pharmacies and I think in the 1920s that was no longer common.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:35 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

I like the idea of asking for gas as it's something that wouldn't immediately raise an eyebrow.

Also the idea for the first post sounds good!

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

672 Reviews

Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:10 pm
View Likes
Plume says...

Maybe to keep it under more secrecy, you also have to mention a type of car you need gas for? In case anyone actually comes in needing gas.

142 Reviews

Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:20 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

A Packard would be the most expensive car in general, followed by Cadillacs if we want to stick to the fancy names.

672 Reviews

Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:03 pm
View Likes
Plume says...

Maybe we could do like, a silver Packard to complement the Golden Vanderbilt.

142 Reviews

Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:18 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

sure! i mean, this is a pretty cool car. do we want to meet sometime this weekend to write the description post?

Spoiler! :

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
— Dr. Seuss