z

Young Writers Society

The Great Team Tortoise Race of 2021

Do you plan to participate in Team Tortoise in June?

Yes - I have been training my whole life for this moment.
29%
Yes - I need that special badge for my trophy collection!
7%
You couldn't stop me if you tried!
5%
Maybe - I really want to give it a try!
38%
Are you kidding? - One review every day? More like one review every month!
7%
No - but I'll cheer on the tortoises who are racing!
7%
No - Sprinting is more my style! Maybe I'll try for the Review Challenge at the end of the month!
7%

Total votes : 42

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Tue May 25, 2021 2:37 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

THE GREAT TORTOISE RACE OF 2021

Huzzah and greetings fellow reviewers! While this May featured the classic "Jump the Leaderboards" Challenge, this June we're highlighting another classic! The Great Team Tortoise Race! Every month is an opportunity to participate in Team Tortoise by reviewing every day - but this June there'll be an opportunity to earn a special badge if you complete the event!

How to participate:

To participate write one review every day of June, starting June 1. The site will keep track of who is still active in the challenge on the Team Tortoise Leaderboards here. You can also update us on your progress or encourage those who are racing in this thread or on your wall with the hashtag #TeamTortoise!

So are you brave enough to join? Do you have different #ReviewGoals for June? Do you have questions or support to offer? Let us know below!

Good luck to you all and remember, slow and steady wins the race!

**This year we will also have an end of the month Review Challenge if you miss your opportunity to join Team Tortoise, so watch out for more information **
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

1227 Reviews

Tue May 25, 2021 2:50 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

TEAM TORTOISE LEGACY RECORD

Great Tortoise Race Winners 2017

- event thread
@Kaylaa, @BluesClues, @Magebird, @ExOmelas, @TheSilverFox

Great Tortoise Race Winners 2020

-event thread
@LittleLee, @TheCursedCat, @whatchamacallit, @JabberHut, @IcyFlame, @LadyBug, @EternalRain, @starlitmind

Team Tortoise Record Holders

- YWS Big Book of Records
@starlitmind - (12 months), @HarryHardy (10 months), @Plume (5 months), @JabberHut (122 Days), @FlamingPhoenix (119 days)

Great Tortoise Race Winners 2021

@HarryHardy @MailicedeNamedy @IcyFlame @LittleLee @Plume @starlitmind & @FireEyes @Spearmint

~~~

TEAM TORTOISE REVIEW BANNER COLLECTION

(feel free to utilize any of these or create your own!)

The Classic Tortoise - designed by @Kaylaa 2017
Code: Select all
[img]http://i.imgur.com/eoTTn3G.jpg[/img]

Your Tortoise Buddy Banner - designed by @ReviewBuddy 2020
[img]https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/images/uploads/8147d1.png[/img]

Dark Cyan #TeamTortoise - designed by @HarryHardy 2021
[img]https://media.giphy.com/media/ZkkwCqisr509FZECey/giphy.gif[/img]

(more banners incoming... )

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sun May 30, 2021 2:35 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Team Tortoise ReVIEWS

Hi everyone! Together with this month's Team-Tortoising, we're launching a new #bandwagon with weekly reviewing questions to get to know each other's reviewing styles better and generally encourage thought about reviewing. You don't need to be a Team Tortoise participant to participate in this - simply answer the question that will be released each week! Also, comment on other YWSers answers and maybe you'll find yourself new reviewing buddies :D

The first question will come out on 1st June , so stay tuned!

Code for the above graphic:
[img]https://i.ibb.co/y6j139N/Reviews.png[/img]
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

542 Reviews

Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:28 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Team Tortoise ReVIEWS Week One

Here's question numero uno for our Team Tortoise #bandwagon~

Is there a reviewer on the site you really admire? Why?

Post your answers with the hashtag #ReVIEWS !
she/her

1227 Reviews

Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:31 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

AND THE RACE BEGINS!!!

Good luck everyone! Remember if you'd like to join this race, be sure to write at least one review today! Also feel free to post in this thread if you have more cheers, encouragement, review tips, review banners, tortoise (or occasionally turtle) gifs, questions, tortoise stories etc. please feel free to post in this thread! :]

"[A review] is one small step for humankind, one giant leap for [tortoises]!"
~ Neil Armstrong (edited)

4074 Reviews

Reviews: 4074
Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:37 pm
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Quickly slapped a different texture on to my RevMo banner for this one...xD

[img]https://media.giphy.com/media/ZkkwCqisr509FZECey/giphy.gif[/img]

But woohoo...the race begins...Good Luck to everyone taking part!!
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

1227 Reviews

Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:25 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Day One - Strong Start - 32 Reviewers From the Starting Line

And Day One is in the books! The racers have made their first steps across that start line! This crew of tortoise is filled with some incredible reviewers ~ veteran-tortoises, newcomers, poets, novelists, role-players and everyone in between - this certainly will be a race to remember! I'm rooting for you all - good luck to our 32 Racers!!

@HarryHardy, @Dossereana, @emilyrebecca, @MailicedeNamedy, @MayCupcake, @hannah0528, @WinnyWriter, @TheWarriorMingan, @LiviK , @JdoggyGirl, @IcyFlame, @Vincian, @ShadowVyper, @alliyah, @LittleLee , @Liminality, @Plume, @starlitmind, @anne27, @MomoMajesty, @TheScribe, @SpunkyKitty, @ImaginativeAlice, @FireEyes, @aooborromeo , @MapleWay, @Spearmint, @legendarycomputerpoetry, @Otterpop, @NivedaJames22, @Nicole136, @slubbs24

(Fun Fact: in the 2020 Great Team Tortoise Race we also had exactly 32 racers start out on day 1! We finished up with 8 winners who made it through the whole month, can we beat last year's record?

Review Tip: if you're not sure where to start with reviews, or are looking to develop the quality of your reviews during Team Tortoise I really recommend checking out some of the YWS Resources in our Knowledge Base like the ones listed in @Magebird's Review Tips hashtag!)

1227 Reviews

Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:28 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

One WEEK DONE - 14 Reviewers Remain

Greetings contestants, devoted fans, Squills reporters and other onlookers! We have made it through the first week of The Great Tortoise Race!!

Ah just look at all that spirit!

The racers are continuing to race and review, and race and review every single day! And though the race proved too much for some to handle this month (myself included!) many fabulous reviews have been written and it's looking to be a great month of reviewing! If you had to drop out, don't feel too disheartened, it's not too late to revise your #ReviewGoals for the month and remember there'll be another opportunity for a Review Challenge at the end of the month. Also you can still cheer the tortoise racers on from the stadium stands!

In fact let's do some cheering now! Hip hip hooray, hip hip hooray! Go tortoises run run run! :D

Congratulations to these 14 reviewers still chasing that tortoise!!
@HarryHardy @MailicedeNamedy @anne27 @MayCupcake @TheWarriorMingan @IcyFlame @LittleLee @Plume @starlitmind @thescribe @FireEyes @Spearmint @NivedaJames22 @slubbs24 You're each doing great, keep up that good work!

Fun Fact:
"Tortoises are renowned for their lack of speed. They move at 0.21 to 0.48km/h when walking. Despite this, they can cover up to 6.4km in a day. How do they achieve such distances going at that speed? Well, like in the famous Aesop fable, The Hare and the Tortoise, they have astonishing willpower and staggering endurance."

source

Review Tip: You've heard of the "YWS Critique Sandwich" but have you heard of the "YWS'more"? It's a great method for formulating your review and being sure to include a nice splash of positives!

1227 Reviews

Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:01 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

12 Days Done -> 12 Reviewers Left!

Hello! May I have your attention? This is an update live from the Great Tortoise Race Track !!!!!

We're nearly two weeks through The Great Tortoise Race so it's time for a quick cheer break before our reviewers race towards the half-way point! So far the reviewers have made great progress clearing out the Green Room and assisting poets and novelists and miscellaneous authors with some wonderful feedback! 12 days is a lot of dedication and determination and every one of these users has been making a praise-worthy contribution to the site this month!

Let's give them some encouragement! Woooohooooo keep reviewing!! You've got this!!

pssst cheer squad! (If you have some time today why not stop by some of these reviewer's walls and congratulate them or wish them luck on the rest of their Tortoise Race? I'm sure they'd appreciate it!)

Big congratulations to @HarryHardy @MailicedeNamedy @anne27 @MayCupcake @IcyFlame @TheWarriorMingan @LittleLee @Plume @FireEyes @starlitmind @Spearmint @slubbs24

Also just in case your motivation is waning - I am sending in your best helper yet! Introducing .... A CHEER CHICKEN to assist you in the rest of the race!!! WOOHOO!! I hope that helps!

Fun Fact: Did you know tortoises are not only wonderful reviewers, but they also live a really crazy long time! Honestly sometimes when I hear stories about really old tortoises I start tearing up, because ... how precious to live so long and to have seen so much. I don't know, something about centenarians just make me weepy.

In the wild, when a tortoise is healthy, he can live for an exceptionally long time – up to 150 years. Some have been recorded to live up to 250 years. A tortoise named Jonathan, currently owned by the Government of Saint Helena, hatched around the year 1832, making him about 186 years old. Another tortoise, Adwaita, who died in 2006, allegedly lived to the age of 255 years!

source

542 Reviews

Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:06 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Team Tortoise ReVIEWS Week Three

Two short questions for this week's #bandwagon~

What are three words you would use to describe your current reviewing style?What are three words you would use to describe the ideal reviewing style you would like to have?

she/her

1227 Reviews

Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:27 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

HALFWAY THROUGH

You've done it!! Our racers have rounded the corner, and are half way through The Great Tortoise Race the hardest part is over, now they race to the finish line! Keep up that wonderful work reviewers!

Congratulations to @HarryHardy @MailicedeNamedy @anne27 @MayCupcake @IcyFlame @TheWarriorMingan @LittleLee @Plume @FireEyes @starlitmind @Spearmint @slubbs24 !!

Fun Fact
The most striking difference between a tortoise and turtle is the fact that turtles are able to swim underwater. Tortoises, however, can’t swim. But they can hold their breath for quite some time. Sometimes you’ll hear a tortoise exhaling before he disappears into his shell. This is because their lungs need to be empty for this. Some species have been recorded to hold their breath for over half an hour.

source

Review Tip: No time to hide now though! You have a race to finish! If you need some extra reviewing tips to get through maybe check out @LadySpark's Reviewing Dictionary or take a break and think through some of your reviewing process with @Liminality's fun #bandwagon questions! :)

Good luck!

542 Reviews

Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:38 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Team Tortoise ReVIEWS Week Four

One more question for the Tortoise #bandwagon ~

Is there a review you're particularly proud of writing? Any reason why?
she/her

1227 Reviews

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:07 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

ONE WEEK TO GO!! Let's GO!!

Our Team Tortoise Racers look a tad bit more worn than when they started out, but if you look close there's a shimmer in each of their eyes as the gold of the finish line appears in sight!

Our wonderous reviewers have been making their mark throughout the month, and now it's time to cheer them to the finish line! One week left to go for @HarryHardy @MailicedeNamedy @anne27 @MayCupcake @IcyFlame @TheWarriorMingan @LittleLee @Plume @starlitmind @FireEyes @Spearmint ~ congratulations you all! And great work making it this far - good luck finishing out this AMAZING race!

Keep on going friends, don't slide behind, I believe in you!!

Fun Fact
"Depending on the species and its size, a tortoise can travel anywhere between 300 meters to 100+ kilometres in a day. Giant tortoises are notoriously slow travelers while smaller, pet tortoises can travel much farther as pacing around is a natural behaviour for them."

source

1227 Reviews

Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:17 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

CaptainJack wrote:If you have been following the news of the Great Team Tortoise Race, but have not participated in the month long challenge, we now offer you a speed run version in the final week of the month. You may have heard certain moderator hints throughout the month about the arrival of this task and now it’s finally arrived.

The challenge will run from to . That gives most of the challenge participants 5 short days to accomplish one of the following goals. They are listed below along with their associated team banners so that you can show your mission across the site.

You may record your reviews here as a log in the replies, but we will be keeping track of the reviews too.

Choose your team and let the fun begin!

Choose Your Team Allegiance
30 Reviews for the Peregrine Falcon Badge

20 Reviews for the Elephant Badge

10 Reviews for the Cheetah Badge

5 Reviews for the Hare Badge

This challenge has been organized by @CaptainJack and it looks like it'll be quite a race! Good luck Tortoise Racers and Challenge Participants!

1227 Reviews

Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:55 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

One More Day!

Best of luck to our 9 Reviewers still in the Race! Just ONE more day of Reviewing before you cross that finish line!

@HarryHardy @MailicedeNamedy @IcyFlame @MayCupcake @Plume @LittleLee @starlitmind @FireEyes @Spearmint

Remember if you had to drop out of Team Tortoise it is not too late to earn a badge in the end of month review challenge, just be sure to post in that thread to record your reviews & claim your badge!

Resistance is futile.
— The Borg