Young Writers Society

2021 NaPo Information Center

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:12 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

2021 ᑎᗩᑭO IᑎᖴOᖇᗰᗩTIOᑎ ᑕEᑎTEᖇ

Hi there! On behalf of the Poetry Crew Moderator Team welcome to the 2021 Information Center for National Poetry Month which officially starts April 1st! It's going to be an amazing month filled with poetry! Below you'll find all the information about NaPo to get you started and the index of the 2021 threads and information links. If you want to share prompts, encouragement, or links to poetry jams you're hosting below, please feel free to do so!

What is National Poetry Month aka NaPo?

National Poetry Month (which has actually turned into a Global celebration) happens every April and it's a whole month of celebrating all things poetry. The traditional challenge is to write 30 poems during the month of April, one every day for the month. You don't have to write 30 poems to participate, but if you're up for the challenge, give it a try!

There will be badges available for participating at all different levels (5 poems, 15 poems, 30 poems)! In addition to writing poetry there are other ways you can participate by jumping into the workshops leading up to NaPo this March, collecting jam links from poetry-jams (poetry write-ins), commenting on other threads, and special challenges throughout the month.

How do I participate in NaPo?

To participate in National Poetry Month, you actually don't need to post your poems through the publishing center (that'd be a lot of poems!) But to be considered for the badges and also to let everyone else admire your poetry please make a new thread (just one) in the NaPoWriMo Forum to post your poems in. If you're interested in working towards the NaPo Badges please be sure to number your poems! We also ask you to please choose "comments welcome" as a sticker on your thread if you are open to comments and refrain from commenting on threads that don't have that sticker. Leaving comments in other people's poetry threads can be a great way to participate, learn, and encourage each other during the month!

If you have questions don't hesitate to ask!

- Poetry Crew 2021

Important Links

2021 NaPo Recap

Share Your NaPo Goals -> Or join the wall-hashtag "#NaPoGoals"

Prompt Central - Find Prompts, Share Prompts

2021 Badge & Contest Information

2021 April Madness

2021 NaPo Buddies

NaPo Archives
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

1227 Reviews

Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:14 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

ᑭᖇE-ᑎᗩᑭO ᑭOETᖇY ᖴᑌᑎ

In March, Poetry Crew will be hosting a variety of opportunities to get excited for NaPo and stretch those poetry muscles! Subscribe to this thread, and stay tuned for more information!

March Activities

NaPo Advertisement Contest (Deadline for entries March 29)

March Poetry Readers Discussion (March 27, 2021 - click link for more info)

Poetry Jams (All month long - subscribe to the club)

Pre-NaPo Poetry Workshop (March 19)

1227 Reviews

Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:15 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

ᑎᗩᑭO TᕼᖇEᗩᗪ IᑎᗪE᙭

Magebird homesick for a place i never left
queenshadowgem whos to say fish cant be accountants
Squid It Must Get Lonely, Your Own One Thousand Funerals
looseleaf a few nice words
MomoMajesty the best feeling: euphoria
SilverNight the unspoken words
LUNARGIRL Themeless
TheScribe Memories, Dreams, and Forgotten Lore
Liminality <<_ you know it means so much_ >>
Liebensteiner science can be a prompt for poems
chikara everything that falls down eventually rises
Charm a journal of deep breaths
soundofmind my living hope
Ventomology 24/7 Sonnets Babey
Arcticus The Parable of the Heart
TriSARAHtops I just liked it when you and I referred to ourselves as us
VioletFantasy Mostly Positive Limericks
Yoshikrab Shoreline Delirium
CaptainJack A Colonial Tea and remarkings on the changing mood of ajax powder cleanser
EditorAndPerks stuck behind the scenes, between the notes.
Spearmint on castles and cupboards
niteowl a year lost, at home with nothing to write about
Carina I find peace, even over the clouds.
veeren fine wine in the summertime
lillianna we were a cliche love song
quitecontrary an exploration of hope;
Stringbean Depths
Meshugenah the plague years
kattee Alpha and Beth
hannah0528 Nature (occasionally fantasized)
SpunkyKitty Poems in the air
AvantCoffee to play my tracks awry
JoyDark *poems*
Plume a tiny spine of wist
Hannah I missed a whole winter. I'll make my own snow.
BluesClues hopes becomes us
starlitmind when i begged the moon to love me back
ShadowVyper twice over
Euphoria8 love letters to the Sky
Que zugzwang
Hkumar In the Shadow of Life
rida On the palms of eternity
blueca words left unsaid, thoughts left unread
SpiritedWolfe why i cant love like i want to
Carlito Carlito is poeting??
ChesTacos Ches' Box of Magical Poems
PenguinAttack I have hands
piyaliarchives ☀ poetic thoughts with the Sun ☀
mckaylaam talking to the faces in my floorboards
Valkyria Of beautiful birds in circling flight
whatchamacallit these scattered lines might make a map
Elfboy Fractured Desert Windsongs
Holysocks too old to play in the mud
MapleWay Maple's Poetree House
amelie andy doesn't know what to make of religion
Lavvie metamorpoiesis
ForeverYoung299 Forever's poetry thread
EternalRain Clio's inertia
Rydia Rydia's Retreat
charlie4152 onigiri on the metro
Alpha Arabesque Musings
AtlasWut echoes in the margins
alliyah years lost to locusts
Tuckster A Voice Crying in the Wilderness
TheBlueCat 18 miles down, learning how to swim
ImaginativeAlice “We too, like trees can shake off our dead leaves and begin"
fortis spectrometer wind chimes
bluewaterlily all the beginnings and endings
alaska anchored in another time
ChieRynn the beauty of silent things
LadySpark my house of bones
SmudgeMudge Wind Gales and Animal Tails
akanbright Motivation for all
BrokenHeartsAri Ari's Madness
Buranko Buranko's NaPo Thread
illy7896 NaPo poetry
Haraya A Collection of Spare Words
LilPWily Lost and Found and Lost Again
Tenyo Wish You Were Here
MeherazulAzim16 Last Week of April
Audy Commitment v. Dalliances; the trial of heart and mind
stygianmoon17 My Poetry

if you changed the name of your thread after April 1, you can notify a mod to have it changed

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:15 pm
View Likes
momonster says...

Hello! I noticed some people title their NaPo threads and picking a theme, and I was wondering if that was mandatory? Or can I just write a poem about a different topic each day?
For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.
Romans 6:14 NIV

never apologize for standing up for what you believe in.

previously MomoandAppa, LordMomo, MomoMajesty, and dancingontheclouds

1227 Reviews

Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:27 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

@lordmomo good question. Many (most in fact) do not have a theme for their thread - you can title it whatever you want. Some people choose little poetic phrases for titles and some choose something like "alliyah's napo 2021" to stay more generic. :) Poems can be any length, any style, any form, any number, and can be written any time during April. You also do not have to shoot for 30 poems (just depends on what badges/contests you're going for). Hope that helps!

Check out last year's index for examples of previous titles/threads if you like -> 2020 NaPo Information Center

105 Reviews

Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:28 pm
View Likes
momonster says...

Ok thanks!
For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.

1227 Reviews

Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:34 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

ᑭᖇE-ᑎᗩᑭO ᑭOETᖇY ᒍᗩᗰS

Aha! Hello there! You may have noticed some sweet jam jars popping up around the site ~ don't be alarmed! That's just poetry crew getting ready to spread some pre-napo poetry excitement around the site!

One of the best things about NaPo is writing together or throwing poetry ideas around with friends! To facilitate this, Poetry Crew wants to encourage you to join one of our Poetry Jams this March over in the Poetry Jam Club, or consider hosting your own Poetry Jam by sharing a write-in link with a poetry prompt over in the Poetry Jam Club!

What is a Poetry Jam? A poetry jam is a write-in where anyone who wants to jumps into a Writers Feed Pad, Rise-up pad, or other shared writing pad link and instead of writing just anything, you're encouraged to write poems - often guided by a poetry prompt or two. Sometimes they're planned in advance and advertised around the site, sometimes they're spontaneous. Anyone can host one by sharing a WFP link over in the Poetry Jam Club. More information about hosting and participating here.

What is NaPo / National Poetry Month? April is dedicated to poetry, not just on YWS, but around the world! The Classic Challenge is to try to write 30 poems during the month of April (posting your poems in a thread over in the NaPo Forums), but if you don't quite have time for 30 you are encouraged and invited to participate at any level by joining in on our fun contests, sharing your poetry, or commenting on the NaPo threads! It's going to be a blast! 2021 Information Center Link

Are you excited about NaPo too? Join our ᑭᖇE-ᑎᗩᑭO ᑭOETᖇY ᒍᗩᗰ ᑭIᑕᑎIᑕ by changing your avvie to something jam related for the rest of March and spread the sweet news about National Poetry Month with your friends! Or share some jam gifs with the hashtag #jammified

1227 Reviews

Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:00 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

ᑭᖇE-ᑎᗩᑭO Workshop

starlitmind wrote:WORKSHOP!! :D

You have probably encountered written prompts for poetry, and might have even used a couple when you're lacking inspiration. Perhaps you've even seen some visual prompts, like a painting or a picture of a beautiful sunset. But have you ever tried out musical prompts? Well, that's what we're doing in this workshop! If you're lacking inspiration, or just want to try something new and fresh to get your poetry juices flowing, this is the perfect workshop for you!

It will take place on . The time should automictically convert to your time zone, and the link to the WFP will be shared through wall posts. @whatchamacallit and I will be running the workshop for about an hour! :)

Hope to see you there!! <3

Link to original comment

1227 Reviews

Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:26 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

10 Jam Jars Left!!

Hello Hello! Did you hear the news? Just 10 JAM JARS until National Poetry Writing Month starts up! Can you believe it? There's still plenty of time to set up your thread and figure out your #NaPoGoals or even get in some #PreNaPo jamming over in the Poetry Jam Club !!

A few threads you should look at before NaPo gets started:

NaPo Buddies {Sign up to be paired with a friend or two for mutual support to go through NaPo with this April! Sign up ends April 1.}

April Madness {You've heard of March Madness? But it gets even madder!! This April @EditorAndPerks will be hosting our poetry bracket-style-contest to see who the newest Poetry Champion is! Please consider challenging yourself and signing up now, because spots are limited!}

NaPo Badge & Contest Info {Speaking of contests, did you know that for completing different challenges (like 5, 15, or 30 poems or 10 comments) you can earn badges during NaPo! Check out the info thread for all the specific information, there's even a badge for collecting jam jars ie. Poetry Jam Links this April! #jammified Please read and review how to be eligible for the different badges.}

1227 Reviews

Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:39 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

one week until napo!

Are you excited?? I'm excited!!

With only one week of jam jars remaining, here's a little PreNaPo challenge for you to get in some poetry stretching before April begins!

Random Challenge:
~If you post a poem in 4 of the below links before NaPo starts I'll send you 200 points~ (if you complete the challenge, let me know on my wall so I can send you points!)

You can check out the poetry activities in the forums to get some light poetry practice while you wait ~
Life by Haiku
Tanka Train
Haiku Train
Worst Poem Thread
Find me a poem ...
Instant Poetry Inspiration Link

If you have questions / contests / prompts / comments / thoughts this week or any time in April related to NaPo, you should also feel free to post in this thread, it's for you! Happy Poeting!

1227 Reviews

Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:37 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

1 jam jar left! ! !

We are so close to NaPo! Wow, the 2nd half of March just flew by! Any last minute poetry concerns / questions/ excitements? Don't be afraid to ask! :]

105 Reviews

Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:38 pm
View Likes
momonster says...

Hey! I probably should have asked this sooner lol, but is there a site for NaPo, like there is for NaNo?

1227 Reviews

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:47 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

@MomoMajesty, nope I don't think so, good question though! Maureen Thompson who I think owns napowrimo.net started organizing and collecting blogs that were doing NaPoWriMo in 2003, but even "NaPoWriMo.net" clarifies in their About Page that they don't intend to be the "official" site. That would be the closest to "official" though.

However many websites that post poetry have events / activities / prompts for NaPoWriMo (poets.org is one that comes to mind.) I'm clearly biased, but I feel like YWS has one of the most robust opportunities for people to come together and participate in NaPoWriMo, though if you're on other social media sites like Twitter and Instagram you'll also find many people participating in NaPo. Sometimes people call NaPoWriMo other names like PoWriMo (poetry writing month) or GloPoWriMo (global writing month) if you're looking for hashtags to follow around the interwebs.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:04 pm
View Likes
MapleWay says...

I was wondering, do poem collabs count towards the total? Like, let's say I write 25 poems and do 5 collabs. Did I do 25 or 30 poems?
"Writing is a place where you can be who you are."

-MapleWay

1227 Reviews

Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:11 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Collab poems do not count towards the 5 / 15 / or 30 challenges. Great question! However you write in a pad together with someone that can count towards the Jam Badge! :) more info on badges here

Pain is filtered in a poem so that it becomes finally, in the end, pleasure.
— Mark Strand