z

Young Writers Society

NaNoWriMo

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:15 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

November is National Novel Writing Month!

It's almost November, which means you've likely seen the term "NaNoWriMo" floating around YWS or elsewhere online. But, what does that mean? NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month and is a challenge to write a novel!

It started in 1999 as a simple but daunting challenge: write a 50,000 word novel between November 1st and November 30th. It's intense. It's rewarding. It can be down-right exhausting. You can do as much planning beforehand that you want to (which is why October is often called "PlanMo" as NaNo-ers try to plot out what they'll write in November) but the big push comes in November.

Now, 50,000 words might sound intimidating -- but don't fret! You might be surprised at how many words you can crank out once you beat down the inner editor and just WRITE instead of trying to edit as you go. But even if you don't get to the big 50K, whatever you wrote will be that much closer to you having a completed novel! And it will also stretch your writing muscles and make you more likely to hit 50K in subsequent years!

Where Do I Start?

Good question! ;)

Head on over to the NaNoWriMo Forum and start plotting out your novel! Read through some others' threads to gain inspiration or check out the archives to get an idea of how things have gone in previous years.

Then, once NaNo starts (November 1st!) get to writing! Post your daily progress (in your planning thread or on your wall) and let the rest of us hype you up as you go! If you make wall posts, make sure to tag them with #NaNo or #NaNo2020 to be sure we all can find your updates!

Finally, you have the option of joining the Official NaNoWriMo Site ! This is not in any way affiliated with YWS, but it can be a fun tool to use to update your daily word counts and see your progress bar filling up! You also can earn some fun badges over there, and even add friends to keep you accountable!

And with that, I wish you a HAPPY NANO!

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:51 pm
View Likes
omer says...

Hey Shady!
make sure to tag them with #NaNo or #NaNo2020 to be sure we all can find your updates!

Where do I use the #NaNo tag? In the post itself? Because it isn't linked to anything, this way. Sorry for the ignorance... (✿´‿`)
"Change roads, change vehicles, go where you don't know where you're going."
-Abigail Docherty

935 Reviews

Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:13 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Hi @omer, good question! If you go to the People Tab, you can make status updates where those tags will work. I don't believe hashtags work for forum posts (which is what this is) but if you were, for example, to click on my profile you'd see the last thing I posted has the #NaNo tag which you can then click to link to other status updates :D

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:37 am
View Likes
ChrisCalaid says...

@ShadowVyper
Are we allowed to post an essay or other type of writings other than novels?

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:32 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

@ChrisDixon, officially NaNoWriMo is for novel-writing, but they do have "NaNo Rebels," which just means people who spend November writing something other than a brand-new novel, like short story collections, screenplays, etc. (I'm a Rebel this year because I'm finishing an existing novel instead of writing a new one!) It's really about spending the month writing and writing regularly and a lot!

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:15 pm
View Likes
piyaliarchives says...

I am on day 3 of my NaNoWriMo! And it is my first time! It is so exciting!!

935 Reviews

Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:46 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

You're doing great, @piyaliarchives!! Keep it up!!

[they/he]

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:35 pm
View Likes
TheMythMaster says...

can do NaNo on a novel I've already started the first chapter of?
Whatever people say there is Good and there is Bad, and there is nothing in between.

-Probably the greatest detective in the world

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:12 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

@TheMythMaster sure you can!
*Officially* you're supposed to start a brand new novel for NaNo, but you can do whatever you want. I've usually used NaNo to power through whatever I happen to be working on at the time and have rarely started from the beginning of a book :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:07 am
View Likes
Coffeeboyjay says...

so how got write like at least 5,000 reviews and stuff to get all of that

935 Reviews

Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:06 am
Shady says...

@SadboyJay reviewing is great, but isn't a requirement for NaNo! The goal of NaNo is to write your novel, which you may or may not post to the site -- that's up to you!

[they/he]

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:59 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

@SadboyJay NaNoWriMo is different from RevMo in that it's about writing your own literary works (though if you have time, it would be great to review someone else's work!)
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

"Cowards die many times before their deaths; but the valiant will never taste of death but once."
— Julius Caesar