Young Writers Society

The Quest for the Slime King [OOC]

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:11 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Hi there! This roleplay is actually based on a very short-lived storybook I once tried running. If you're interested in reading that one, you can find it here. But since we never got past the introduction round of posts and I had some fun plans in mind for the story, I really wanted to give it a second chance as a roleplay.

It's also heavily inspired by D&D campaigns, but there's no dice-rolling involved in this story. You're also free to take characters from other stories of yours and throw them into here. We'll be taking a leaf out of isekai animes by having the desperate kingdom summon a band of heroes from other worlds. You're free to have them be from the actual world this story is set in, but I'd have to talk with you about your character to make sure their backstory works with what I have in mind.

You're also free to D&D-up your characters if they weren't already D&D-esque - like making them tieflings, elves, etc. It's really up to you! I want this to be a fun adventure, as well as a story that actually has an ending.

I'll be reusing a character from the original storybook, as well as maybe using a character from another world as one of my heroes. Let me know what you're thinking of doing for yours! <3

The Cast
Magebird
TheBlueCat
HarryHardy
Lia5Giba
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:16 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I need to sit down and simplify his character profile so it's just his description, but here's the original CP I used back in the storybook for my character Erevan! :)

It's a long read, so definitely don't feel like you have to read through it if you don't want to. I just wanted to give an idea of what my one definite character is like.

Spoiler! :
Full Name: Erevan "Van" Lalian

Role: He's a fighter. He specifically fights with a plain shortsword, though he's good at using anything that falls under the sword classification.

Alignment: Slightly Neutral/Mostly Chaotic Good

Race: Drow/Dark Elf

Appearance: Traveling the world as a drow has an unfortunate "perk" - the sunlight causes his weak skin great irritation. Because of this, he's almost completely covered by cloth or bandages. The few areas that aren't covered are his eyes and hair - his eyes are blue and his hair is long and white. Though his hair is usually down, he typically has braids or some other adornment in it.

His outfit looks like this, though he only has one sword instead of two and it's a simpler design. His shoes also don't have the little points coming off of them.

Personality: Though he's a drow, Erevan tends to be well-liked by anyone who meets him. No one's quite sure why - maybe it's because he's charismatic, or kind, or something else. The few that he's met in the capital city have already taken a liking to him, thanks to his politeness and willingness to help out random people on the street with mundane tasks.

He does have a more casual side to him as well - he's been known to joke around, and can be incredibly friendly. It's very easy to forget that he's a drow, or even an elf in general, and people are often shocked when they hear just how old he is.

But Erevan does has a tendency to keep to himself, and is unlikely to call most people truly close to him. The only exception would be his friend Nakhem, a bard he met during his travels. If someone wants him to truly trust them, they would have to work especially hard to gain that trust.

He also does have a tendency to go against rules he thinks are unjust, with varying amounts of success depending on the situation.

Brief History: Like most drow, Erevan grew up in the Underdark - an underground part of the world few ventured to. Though he was told it was his nature to hate the surface dwellers, he found himself intrigued by the stories he heard of them. When he finally arrived at adulthood and was given his name, he left the Underdark for good and embarked on a journey that has taken him the past 442 years.

He's traveled the world, learning about people's cultures and customs. When possible, he would help them with their troubles - whether they were hordes of monsters, a missing pet or dealing with unjust councils.

He arrived in Itozan a little less than three years ago, but has only just left the rural areas for the capital. Hearing of and seeing the destruction caused by the Slime King first hand, he decided to assist in the quest to defeat him.

Talents: Besides being an excellent swordsman, Erevan's talents mainly lie in his ability to get along with almost everyone. He's also a brilliant strategist in almost every situation; he can usually come up with ingenious ways to get around troubling situations.

Last - and certainly not least - Erevan is great out in the wild. It's a perk of traveling so much. He's the experienced sort of guy anyone would want on their quest.

Other: As mentioned before, his only and true friend is Nakhem. Even while off on travels, he frequently communicates with him through a variety of means. Nakhem prefers sending a bird with a letter attached to it (something Erevan regularly teases him about) but Erevan prefers the more trustworthy approach of using a magical artifact he was gifted with during his travels.

It works a little like texting, but with a longer time in between texts. The users of the stone tablets write messages with a special instrument (like a stylus) addressed to the other stone's owner, and the recipient will see whatever is written as it is being read.

The message will disappear once a new one on either tablet is started. There's usually a wait time of at least half a day before new messages can be made; this is to prevent any accidental erasures of messages when they're being read.
mage

queer and here.

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:22 pm
View Likes
TheBlueCat says...

okay okay I'm joining hehe

I'll write up a profile for her later, but reserving this spot for my beloved Eri (whose name is subject to change lol) ^-^
Unofficial Blue Cat of YWS =^-^=
she/her please <3

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:27 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

@TheBlueCat, welcome to the roleplay! You're free to include as much as you want about Eri, but also feel free to just stick to writing a description of her. <3

(That's what I usually do in my roleplays, but I had the CP for Erevan kicking around and thought it would be cool to share it before I simplified it.)
mage

queer and here.

4092 Reviews

Reviews: 4092
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:13 pm
View Likes
KateHardy says...

So...any room for a superhero in here?
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:18 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Definitely, @HarryHardy! :)
mage

queer and here.

4092 Reviews

Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:36 pm
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Yay!!...hmm...which power level would be preferred...like say someone like Thor levels or...something lower like Captain America/ Spiderman?....aaand can it be like a super OP character that's taking a vacation and pretending to be one of those levels?
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:56 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Something lower is probably good, but the OP character pretending to be weaker would be entertaining! I'll let you decide. :)
mage

queer and here.

4092 Reviews

Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:21 pm
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Okay...I'll do an OP one then...hmm...I might actually throw Harry Hardy into this...the character that inspired my username. Hopefully he's entertaining...i'll throw a cp in here sometime soon. after I reply to all the other roleplays you made that I'm a part of...xD
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:22 pm
View Likes
TheBlueCat says...

It'll probably be a shorter profile heading towards a long description, but I have a decent amount about her that I know and should give you.

If you were curious, she's a highly skilled assassin/bounty hunter/she-will-probably-do-anything-you-pay-her-to-do who is a lone wolf, so it'll be interesting to see how she copes with working with a group (since I need her to work with a group/few people for her story anyways c: ). She's also a big pessimist and is constantly sarcastic and broods a lot because ~backstory~ but she is secretly a softie hehe
well at least if I forget to write a cp, y'all have something
Unofficial Blue Cat of YWS =^-^=
she/her please <3

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:48 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Knowing full well that school exists and that I'm in like three other major rps and storybooks, I would still like to throw my hat into the ring! Any room for a rp-crazy raven here?
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:52 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Definitely, @RavenLord!

@HarryHardy and @TheBlueCat, I can't wait to meet your characters! Eri sounds amazing, and I actually got my old username Magestorrow from a character with the same name. :)
mage

queer and here.

112 Reviews

Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:59 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Great! I'll need a bit of time to pick a character but I should have someone by the end of the day.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:53 pm
View Likes
JoyDark says...

Can I join, Mage? This sounds very very cool and I have IDEAS...
she/her

woah
i actually made a post
pretty radical if you ask me

112 Reviews

Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:00 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Spoiler! :
Full Name: Madre Tove Goatsknee
Madre for clients and Tove for friends. Sometimes Madre Tove.

Role: A full-fledged woodwitch with specialties in herbs and curses.

Alignment: True Neutral/Neutral Good

Race: Human

Appearance: Most of Madre Tove’s body is hidden under layers of moss, dark fabrics, and animal bones. She wears a massive goat skull on her head, including the jaw bone. Feathers and beads hang from the horns, which make clicking and clattering sounds whenever she moves. Her boots are warm deerhide, and her cloak is made from wool, fur, leather, and other materials. Protective spells are woven into it. Underneath the cloak is a simple hide tunic and trousers. She carries a large elm staff decorated with carvings, beads, bones, and feathers at all times and there’s a satchel she has under her cloak that carries her important physical materials.
Madre Tove also wears the claws of an unknown creature sewn into her leather gloves, which serves to make her look even more intimidating.
If you strip all that extra stuff off, though, you’ll see a very muscular woman about 6 feet tall with pale skin and unnaturally green eyes. Her face is squarish and angular. She has a couple scars here and there, but nothing too prominent. Her chestnut hair is cropped short and pulled back in a Sokka-style ponytail.
Personality: Madre Tove is generally a very friendly person, and she’s got both flair and pragmatism. Her temper, when it rises, is hot and nasty, and she’ll become vengeful if someone wrongs her enough. She’s empathetic for the most part, though she can set that aside when needs must. Her overall appearance is very offputting, but she makes up for that with efforts to get to know whoever wanders through her woods if they happen upon her. She has heavy prejudices against goblins and has vexed the fae plenty of times, which comes back to bite her on occasion. She can be short with people when she’s stressed, and she has almost no concept of authority because she’s been living in the woods on her own (mostly) for most of her life.

Brief History: Madre Tove is one of the many unfortunates of her village to have been replaced by a changeling. She learned magic from her adoptive fae colony and became quite adept in witchery, which vexed the fae to no end due to an ongoing rivalry between witches and fae in general. Something about too many fae going missing and coming back with fewer limbs and tongues than they started with. The fae gave her the gift of long life and raised her from infancy to teenhood, at which point Tove grew curious about the whereabouts of her biological parents and set out to find them. She found their village, but the villagefolk chased her away before she could find out which of them were her parents, attempting to burn her for witchcraft before that. Hurt and embarrassed, Tove cast a curse on the village: Every seventh year, their crops would yield nothing and their men would be rendered sterile. Tove fled after that, wandering for twelve years until she came to another village surrounded by a dark forest. The forest was where she made her permanent home, and over time she became well acquainted with its inhabitants. On occasion she offers her services to the village, but for the most part she keeps to herself.

Talents: Witchcraft of any kind, though she specializes in herbal concoctions and curses. She’s an excellent cook and decent in hand-to-hand combat, though she prefers a hefty axe over fists. Madre Tove is also decent at spinning, cobbling, ironwork, and woodcarving, but she's terrible at the magic of contracts. She has unusual proficiency with animals as well.

Other: Madre Tove almost always has some animal draped or perched on her shoulder or hidden somewhere in the folds of her cloak. She keeps tidbits of food in her satchel for them.

Madre in this case is pronounced like so: MAH-dre without an "ay" sound where the e is. More like an "uh" sound.

Here she is!

she/her

Even strength must bow to wisdom sometimes.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief