Home » Forums » Resources » Writers Corner

The Beehive

339 Reviews

Reviews: 339
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:09 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

Enter my lair, if you dare to see what lies within

aka I got tired of making different threads for different projects because I'm the flightiest writer and bounce around so much between projects. they're fine for notes, but I'm just going to update this. also I decided to steal Carlito's idea of word crawls, because I've been dragging so much lately.

for posterity though, my projects and their various forms onsite:

colonia heights status: waiting on beta feedback
pirate novel project thread status: third draft in progress
starry veins - project thread starry veins chapters status: draft one finished, waiting on feedback, updates on YWS every Monday
carter's support group status: stewing, getting notes for draft three occasionally
I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people that do.

339 Reviews

Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:19 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

I'm starting with a pirate adventure crawl because it seems super appropriate since I'm writing my pirate novel right now. I really want to do the LoTR crawl, but I'll save that one for when I'm working on another fantasy (not to say pirate novel ISN'T fantasy, but you know).

The rules are as follows:
1) You can use a piece of eight to buy your way out of a challenge. You’ll find these along the way, along with other items that may or may not come in handy later on.
2) Dice used is a standard six sided one. If you don’t have any actual dice, you can use this digital one (I GET TO ROLL DICE)
3) You can redo any challenge if you’re not happy with the results.
4) Have fun!

I start out in a tavern with a treasure map (I'm not quite sure how I got it), and I am being persuaded by three different pirate captains to join their crew and give them access to my map. I have to do a 5 minute word war while I listen to their words.

I got through 207 words, trying to find my groove again without disrupting the work I've already put in for this chapter.

Now I have to choose one of the three captains. There's Captain Christopher "Cuttlefish" Anderson and he captains The Black Shark. He'll give me three pieces of eight to join him. There's also Captain Tack, who has a parrot which weakens me a little because bird, and captains The Blood Seeker. He'll pay me two pieces of eight to join him. Lastly, but not least, there's Captain Annabelle MacFanning, she's mysterious and no ship is named, and she'll only pay me one piece of eight.

It's probably best that I now have to do a ten minute word war to determine who I will pick because I'm a weak gay who can't resist a mysterious woman.

I GOT 460 WORDS AND I NEEDED 501 I CRY. Instead of getting to choose who I sail with, I get kidnapped. I roll a die. 1-2 Christopher snatches me, 3-4 it's Tack, and 5-6 it's Annabelle.

Oop, I didn't even have to let my gay win, I rolled a 5 (the dice I painted are so good to me and I never get to use them *cries*). Annabelle it is. I do still get one piece of eight for my trouble (do I steal it? does she give it to me? who knows).

Annabelle has dragged me out of the tavern and onto her ship (I'm dying what is her ship's name this is killing me). Except then she left me without explanation in front of her whole crew to go to her cabin (why you gotta do me like this Annabelle).

Looks like I've got to write 200 words to charm the crew with sea shanties (of which I have some skill) and my jiggling skills (of which I have none). At least these are metaphorical.

I got 301 because I was on a bit of a roll. I'm just going to finish the scene, rather than move on to the next challenge though, because it's a word count goal/timed sprint and I don't feel particular up for the pressure nor do I think this end of this scene will be even the least amount of words long.

146 more words (including a little bit of adding to a few places because I'm insufferable)! Which means I've managed 1k today! I'm getting back into it *finger guns*

I did some writing! It's not quite up to the quality I think I was at before, but honestly, it's something. I can't write at 100% all the time, and I just need to get through it now, and hope for the best. I do like it well enough, and I think it'll make the next chapter a lot more powerful anyway.

it is a little easier for me now that I've actually wrangled a semblance of a magic system together instead of going "I'll figure this out later".

It's the third draft, mel, you can't figure everything out "later".

Today's Tally
Word Written: 1,131
Challenges Completed: 3
Pieces of Eight: 1
Meme of the Day:
Spoiler! :

Snippet of the Day:

“Shana,” Reina said, firm but not unkind. “This won’t always be this hard. I believe you have the strength in you to figure out the power that slumbers inside of you. Magic is, at its best and to the wisest of men, a complex and endless unknown.” She hummed. “Like the sea, in a way."

339 Reviews

Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:13 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

I wasn't expecting to get delayed but I ended up having some Full Days that did not allow much in the way of writing. But! I am back, so I'm all ready (I'm not)!

The quartermaster (no name??) has come up to me, seemingly impressed by my display (*flexes*). He has also offered me a weapon, because I Do Not Posses One apparently (what am I doing with no weapon honestly). 300 words or less and I get a dagger, 500 words or less and it's a pistol, and more than 500 and I get a sword. The ideal outcome is a pistol or a sword.

476! I have a GUN. heck yeah. I am wearing my lucky jacket (or as my dad calls it, my "gunslinger jacket" which is appropriate I guess).

I am now officially part of the crew! There is a suspect man who is giving me the stink eye though, but he disappears immediately, so hopefully I won't get shanked?

Anyway, I've been called to the captain's quarters. Whatever shall happen in there? 👀

I am given really expensive rum. I am apparently Luis from Antman? anyway. She keeps giving me rum after I've showed her my treasure map. And keeps giving me more. I have to roll a die now to see how many she actually thrusts upon me. 100 x amount I roll on the die.

cri I pulled out my hollow metal d6 hoping it would roll low for my bcus lazy but I rolled a SIX. rip. Annabelle wants to get me hammered I guess.

OKAY 609. I'm pretty sure I pulled teeth out for that one.

After at least six shots of rum, I Pass Out. I mean, yeah. Seems about right.

That's the end of a part one and also my energy! Let's move onto the tally.

Today's Tally
Words Written: 1,092!
Challenges Completed: 2
Snippet of the Day:
“Why are you here?” he asked, barely audible over the storm. His voice cracked, groaning like the ship, like the tension of speaking was just as much a burden as the rough, angry seas were on their small, hapless, wooden vessel.

She dug her nails into palm and flexed her fingers. The weight of the question Cailean was unknowingly asking pushed against her shoulders, crushing her. She turned her head and spit out the blood onto the deck. It was washed instantly away by the rain.

Maeve wiped her mouth and stared back at Cailean. “Why are you?”

(also?? much more suspicion between Maeve and Cailean, and it's much better. I'm gonna have to start,,, amalgamating together stuff from these chapters though,,, nyegh)

339 Reviews

Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:09 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

Two for one babeyyy

Just kidding, but I am actually here for the second day in a row, so good for me? I just found a music box ambience with ocean and ship creaking noises so I'm Quite Pleased and also Ready to Go.

Since I got absolutely smashed and passed out, I now have to do a twenty-minute word war while I sleep it off (more sleeping? who am I to question rest). This would have been perfect if I had gotten this challenge when Shana had her hangover, but I guess it's not meant to be.

I got 605 words! That's a little sad because I could have gotten more, but I had to look up something and forgot to turn off my timer while I did >.> That's all right, because I'm feeling Quite Good about this chapter actually, where I wasn't yesterday. I think at this point I'm kind of ignoring the outline I wrote and going with my gut, and I'm not hating it so far. Maybe this novel will actually turn out??

Anyway. I wake up in the crew's quarters, nice and warm in a hammock (unlike maeve who woke up cold and wet above deck). Because I had to read through to see what was happening, it seems like I got a really good deal with Annabelle. She's nice. im gay

I do have to spend five minutes word-warring to go above deck and see what's happening.

Oof, only 136 words. I felt good but apparently was not jamming.

Oh! But we're under attack by an unknown assailant!! And a pirate just got blown back from the blast and they were manning the cannon, so I have to rush in and fire now. I have to roll to see how many cannonballs I fire, and multiply my result by 100 to see how many words I have to write. I will not roll my metal d6 again because it betrayed me last time. I'm going to roll my glittery gold one instead.

I'VE BEEN BETRAYED AGAIN. WHY CAN'T I ROLL THESE SIXES WHEN I SNEAK ATTACK???

anyway.

I got exactly 605 again lol.

I'm taking a break for tonight because it's another word sprint and also I sort of ran out of the motivation for the scene. But I've given myself some a Vicious scene to work with, so that should be fine to work with although it is not either of the girls and is also very Gross so.

Today's Tally
Words Written: 1,346 (and feeling good about them!!)
Challenges Completed: 3
Snippet of the Day:
The captain’s quarters were spacious and well-decorated. There were badges and medals dedicated to her father’s service in the Royal Navy and to his special accommodations as a pirate hunter, one of the few who were not blatantly mercenaries hired by the crown. There were bearings of his trophies in glass cases of varying sizes: a broken silver tooth; a medallion with the crest of an osprey; a dagger covered it rust that made it look blood-stained.

The newest hung on a bull’s skull on the left wall: a bloodstone ring that dangled off a scarlet stained chain. The blood still looked fresh.

It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.
— Mark Twain