Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Resources » Writers Corner

Untitled Pirate Novel

314 Reviews

Reviews: 314
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:49 pm
View Likes
mellifera says...

I needed somewhere to shout about this novel as I work on it for Camp NaNo and descend into madness for a third time.

Also hopefully some of these updates will be positive so I can read them back later and be like "ah yes, I was excited to be working on this novel, good times" because we all know what happens when I work on THIS novel (actually all of them but I think I absorb some of my MC's unrestricted and fathomless anger for this specific one).

I think? I have a somewhat cohesive plot this time? I'm STUNNED, this is mad, I thought it'd be a shapeless blob forever. Maybe I'll stick the landing a little better this time.

If anyone is, by chance, curious (the short of it still is "queer pirates and daddy issues"):

Synopsis (rough):

Spoiler! :
Shana Madigan's father was supposed to be there when she tried for an apprenticeship under the Council of Elder Witches - to better control her volatile, powerful magic. This isn't to say her family is always all accounted for, the lives of scholars and pirates are unpredictable at best, but this was important to her. He promised to be there.

Everything is overturned, however, when another, disciplined and powerful witch attacks soon after, kidnapping Shana and killing her aunt. Shana is thrust suddenly into a violent family conflict, in which she must escape and find what happened to her father and best friend, before she is caught by those who would see her dead.

needs fixing because I totally forgot there's a new pov this round *facepalm*

Setting:

Spoiler! :
Hated writing it in a custom worldbuild, hated writing it as a historical fiction. After reading Witchmark and contemplating setting, I kinda just went "why don't I just allude to the fact it's a historical-adjacent novel without committing to an actual recounting of the past". so, that.

This novel has gotten progressively more magical each draft. As I was writing this I realised Shana didn't even have magic in the first draft and it's such a crucial part of her identity now that's WILD to think about (plus all the gosh darn NAME CHANGES). BUT in addition to magic and elves and a dragon, we have selkie and slyphs and generally more mythical things! so, historical adjacent fantasy I guess.

Goal for Camp NaNo is 35k, so we'll see how that goes!
I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people that do.

314 Reviews

Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:25 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

Day One - Shana

"felt it in my fists, in my feet, in the hollows of my eyelids, shaking through my skull, through my spine and down through my ribs."

Daily Word Count: 1,890/??? (<-- didn't actually check, like a fool)
Total Word Count: 1,890/35,000
Meme of the Day:

I kind of thought I'd power through more today but that's okay! I AM DELIGHTED TO BE WORKING ON THIS AGAIN and it's incredible how fast Shana's voice comes back to me immediately. I am also VERY excited for some upcoming scenes I get to write because I took a turn down Vicious Lane, which I think is fair considering the genre/you know, PIRATES. And we all know how much I love those brutal scenes cough gideon and adrienne cough.

also me @ me PLEASE remember to give the first two drafts some glances just in case I want to bring anything over (probably not but worth looking at. gold in the mud, right? that's not a saying. it's fine).

ALSO ALSO !!!! it has taken three drafts but I have FINALLY GOTTEN TO WRITE HOLDEN (this is a lie he showed up at the end of chapter 28 of draft 2 and I think was briefly mentioned/shown in the first draft but THIS IS THE FIRST TIME HE IS REALLY SHOWN SO SEMANTICS). he is absolutely related to Shana and this is all I have to say about this.

*shakes novel gently* plot?? PLOT???? PLOT??!?!!!?!

314 Reviews

Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:12 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

Day Two - Shana & Maeve

"asking Shana not to get into mischief is like asking a bird not to sing"

Daily Word Count: 2,278/1,104
Total Word Count: 4,168/35,000

I already do not have a meme and have to find more but we'll get there. wasting my time finding memes is a favourite hobby of mine.

I have been feeling some Weird Vibes since starting this up again and I don't know if it's like, a personal dissonance because of real life disruptions or returning to this novel again after so much struggling or if I have some weird after-vibes from Colonia Heights. Hopefully it smooths out as I go along, but we'll See. I just need some Pirate Action.

ALSO MAEVE!! she's getting a pov this round after much consideration and I already love writing her.

ya girl should probably learn Spanish though if I'm committing to this.

I'm pretty sure 100% of these introductory passages are vague and confusing and, at present, I Do Not Care. I will care more later, if I finish this draft and want people to read it. which, who KNOWS what will happen with that.

anyway, to make up for the lack of meme, have Maeve, being dramatic:

Kassidy’s expression hardened as he brushed her hand away. “We cannot just give up.”

She reached out with her right hand, swift as a cobra, and snatched his arm into her grip. She dug her fingers into his bared arm, and he hissed, but did not pull away. He could, easily, but he did not.

“It is best if you would,” she said, under her breath. She released his arm, and then shook out her hand. The metal joints clacked together, and the skeleton-like fingers glinted in the dim moonlight for a moment before she pulled it back into her sleeve.

The good ended happily, and the bad unhappily. That is what Fiction means.
— Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest