Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Resources » Writers Corner

LMS V: Earth Descended

421 Reviews

Reviews: 421
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:01 am
View Likes
Ventomology says...

Whaddup whaddup it's time to plan for LMS V even though I literally just started another project. It's fine; my upperclassmen at uni say this year won't be as busy as last year.

@TheSilverFox please jump on this wagon with me.

Earth Descended

a post-apocalypse fantasy that will actually kill me if I don't plan it out.

Goodbye, lovely days of world-building by coming up with random bull details on the fly. Here's the skinny.

The World:

As mentioned, I'm thinking a post-apocalypse fantasy. But I honestly don't want to tell a very dark story! (Okay actually the story is kind of dark, but that doesn't mean the scenery has to be.) I'm really into the idea of a landscape that is totally infused with magic, and I want to explore how that energy could pass through like, food webs and natural cycles of water and air and earth, as well as what forms it would take in different creatures and environments.

Honestly, that's where this whole idea started. Magic landscapes. I am a sucker for floating rock formations and skyscraper-sized cacti, and magic is the answer.

And no, it was not always like that.

...I'm going to need a map.

The Characters:

I've got two main characters that are definitely on the table: Petro and Ming, who will go on separate adventures through the world. Ming will be mostly traipsing through nature with a kind of Indiana-Jones-meets-Hatchet thing, and Petro will follow after the antagonist organization of the story, with a little more fighting and adrenaline and interpersonal action. I haven't completely developed their personalities, since I find that better to do once I start writing, but right now it feels like Petro will be duty-driven, and Ming will be curiosity-driven.

I'm not actually sure how many other named characters this piece would need. There is an "evil organization," which I currently have named the Zealots, though they must have a different name for themselves. They are trying to return the world to its pre-apocalypse state, which could be a good thing, if they weren't such terrible people.

I am still in limbo as to whether or not to create a pantheon of gods. It feels right but also totally unnecessary. I may make one, reference their names in expletives, and just not give much explanation. Or they might play a large role in the apocalypse. Like I said, super not sure yet.

I'll probably post drawings later, so stay tuned?
"I've got dreams like you--no really!--just much less, touchy-feeley.
They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny
on an island that I own, tanned and rested and alone
surrounded by enormous piles of money." -Flynn Rider, Tangled

421 Reviews

Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:32 am
View Likes
Ventomology says...

The Pantheon:

It's decided. A pantheon is necessary for this novel's lore. Here are the big guys. I'll do sketches and come up with some legends at some point.
Hopefully.

Elemental:
  • Hydron | Water, medicine, patience
  • Geora | Earth, construction, stability
  • Pyra | Fire, war, power
  • Aeron | Air, travel, flexibility

Life:
  • Antho | Flora, agriculture, persistence
  • Therin | Fauna, athletics, valor
  • Dema | Humanity, art, ingenuity

Celestial:
  • Phosphor | Light, law, righteousness
  • Melana | Dark, business, ambition
  • Kosmos | Heavens, academia, wisdom

Lore:
  • Genis | Creator
  • Cyclene | Destroyer

Personally, I think there would be more gods than this. There's a god for everything. But all other gods would report to one or more of these here deities, and maybe they're not as powerful, or may even be particular to a specific region.

Each member of the pantheon has a home where their essence is stored, with one exception. These homes are both a product of and an influence on their surroundings, and I will be building the map accordingly, by setting out some basic geography and landmarks, then placing the gods' homes in appropriate locations. Once the homes are placed, I will have a better idea about what kind of magic is in that particular landscape.

Sketches coming soon!!!

421 Reviews

Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:07 am
View Likes
Ventomology says...

No sketches yet. I don't have a scanner, and all my computer sketches are making me sad. But I've got some better ideas about the characters.

Petro:

As I mentioned before, I'm thinking of Petro as a very duty-driven character. But I also don't want him to fall into the stoic-man trap. I was rereading some Tamora Pierce and realized though, that Keladry is some hella good inspiration.

I had kind of pinned Petro as perhaps being a bit of a stick-in-the-mud, but I also think that would be a very difficult thing to portray in a story where the main characters spend a great deal of time away from each other, and where the society and rules have been lost. Reading about Keladry again reminded me that I can have very emotional duty-driven characters! I think Petro is the kind of person who cares deeply and feels deeply, but isn't bound by stoicism, and so lets it show. He's serious, but in an intense and caring way.

...That's a really intimidating character to write, now that I think about it. Also, he would be a total heartthrob yikes. I'm so glad I'm planning on no romance.

Ming:

As foil to Petro, I initially thought Ming would be very bright and curious and ready to bend rules. And I think, to some extent, she will be those things, but I'm not sure I want her to really be a happy-go-lucky character, as I'd first planned. It feels a bit flippant, and maybe inappropriate for the way I'd like to develop them both.

I'm starting to see her as an actually neutral force, more along the lines of the morally grey scientist. Without companions, she mostly has to test things on herself, and probably would anyway just because it's easier than convincing someone (Petro) to play guinea pig. I think, when she and Petro are separated at the beginning of the novel, that of course she's going to look for him, but she's also very interested in digging up dirt on their world.

The Zealots

This is the only vaguely antagonistic group I think is necessary for this story. They're a raiding contingent of a religious organization, who believe that the magic of the land belongs to the people, and that it always did, until it was stolen. They think that if they kill and force everyone to convert casually remind everyone that people used to have magic, then some higher power will give magic back to them.

The Wanderer

An enigmatic figure who encounters both Petro and Ming several times on their journeys. Why tell parallel tales if they're not going to involve intersecting characters?

I think people fleeing the Zealots might also pop up in both journeys as well, but not with the regularity or mystery that the wanderer gets.

That's it for today. It's late.

421 Reviews

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:51 am
View Likes
Ventomology says...

Ming

421 Reviews

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:12 am
View Likes
Ventomology says...

Petro

Amazing how much a little shading can make me feel less sad about my computer drawings.

258 Reviews

Reviews: 258
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:43 am
View Likes
Dossereana says...

I think it looks really good @Ventomology

It is spiritually invigorating, says a friend, who converted at eighteen from Christianity to poetry.
— Anne Lamott