z

Young Writers Society

Squills 5/13/19 - 5/27/19

Reviews: 0
Mon May 27, 2019 5:08 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!
What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.
And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :

Editor-in-Chief
Aley

General Editors
EternalRain
fraey
LordWolf

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
LordWolf

Community Reporter
TheWeirdoFromBeyond
neptune

New BloodHound
ShadowVyper

Poetry Enchantress
Aley
alliyah

Resources Reporter
BiscuitsLeGuin

Storybooks Status Reporter
fraey

Writer's World Columnist
elysian

Anime Maniac
Kanome

Social Correspondent
EternalRain

Code Master
Available - PM Squillsbot if interested

General Reporters
Clarity
LordStar
amelie

Ghost Reporter
shaniac

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

You can apply to become a Squillian Journalist by submitting a sample article to SquillsBot today!

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Mon May 27, 2019 5:09 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FEATURED MEMBER INTERVIEW: JADELOTUS

Written by LadyBird < PM: >

The Featured Member for March 31st through April 20th was the lovely @JadeLotus. This user has been on YWS for just two months and is already making an impact on their community. You may have come across one of their pieces while sweeping the Green Room or run across them in forum activities. I sat down with them for a bit to ask some questions about their experiences with FM and YWS.

Squills: Congratulations on being Featured Member for part of last month. I was wondering if you would be willing to talk to Squills about your experiences?

JadeLotus: Sure, I wouldn’t mind talking about this!

S: How did you find out you were Featured Member? And what was your reaction when you found out?

J: Well, I had been taking a break from my computer for about a week (that’s code for I was grounded) and I logged on and saw my wall was packed with people saying congrats. I was confused then I checked my messages and saw I was FM. I screamed so loudly my mom came in to see if I was alright!

S: Glad to hear you were certainly excited with finding out.
Why do you think you were nominated for Featured Member?

J: Hm, maybe because I welcomed the new members and tried to help the community that read my stories.It honestly felt really good to be recognized when I least expected it.

S: It's always good to see people making a presence in the Welcome Mat.
What's your favorite part of YWS?

J: Well, I do have a lot of regular haunts, but I have to go with either the clubs or the Green Room. Clubs here are a great way to meet people with common interests and allow yourself to just feel at home, and I'd say that is important in any community. And the Green Room is great because you're almost always guaranteed a review and it's nice to read some new things.

S: You have a lot of site presence then.
What is the club that you are most active in? And why are you so involved in that club?

J: I really love Character Interviews because they've helped to improve my characters in so many ways. I also would consider myself a big part of YWS Artists. But my favorite is probably We Quote. I just like connecting with people who share my interests and putting my work out there!

S: I have never heard of the We Quote club before. Could you tell me a little bit about it?

J: It is quite new. It is a group where people share favorite quotes of theirs. It's my favorite because I've always loved them. They can make you feel so understood, they can be so eloquent, they can leave you breathless, they always make me feel better for some reason. Yeah, I love quotes too much.

S: Well quotes are certainly a good thing to love. I have just a few more questions for you.
What advice would you give to people who want to become a Featured Member?

J: I would say, be active, make friends here, review people's stories (be honest but nice!), and just sparkle this place with your own personality. There are so many unique people on here so just be you, be helpful, be nice, and aim high.

S: That is sound advice.
Before I let you go, are there any shout outs you'd like to make?

J: Well, my BFF. They haven't joined but I'm going to make them. Izzy! And everyone on here who has helped improve my writing so much. I'm not going to list anyone because that would take too long, but they know who they are.

Also, thanks for interviewing me! This was fun.

S: And it was a pleasure talking to you as well.

This is a YWSer to be on the look out for. Squills is looking forward to talking to them once again because this YWSer will most likely be showing up in the spotlight once again.

The quote club they were talking about is starting to get active and something to check out. Plenty of interesting content to be found there.

Mon May 27, 2019 5:09 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS IS HALLOWEEN

written by The Ghost of Blue Africa< PM: >

"yes I'm cozy, why do you ask?"

Mon May 27, 2019 5:10 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
written by EternalRain < PM: >

Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site!

@BailorAsh has earned their first review star in only their first few days of joining! They’ve also published a few pieces, one of which is a poem called Introverted , highlighting the struggles of being an introvert.

@Sunnydragon was pulled onto the lovely YWS by @Magestorrow. Mwuahahaha. Addiction likely.

@AliZombie published their first story, Sickness in Death .

@RandomVanGloboii, who joined back at the start of May, is a dragon fan! They’ve published up to chapter 4 of their story, Lohikarmen. Here is Chapter 1 .

Other members who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are...

@philly@Takimgeorge • @shadowthewif • @Pokersun • @F0xTr0t@Dasha@BlueCat1@LibertyBarille • @Jadoneer • @Lola245

Mon May 27, 2019 5:12 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

WHY I WRITE: EGGS
written by LordStar< PM: >

I remember reading Eggs by Jerry Spinelli when I was twelve years old.

I don't know why I remember it so clearly. But that book, that little thin book about a ten and thirteen year old, about their friendship, it was so silly - so...ordinary. Just a book about two kids with somewhat crappy lives, finding each other, going on a short-lived adventure, coming home.

I think I connected to the loneliness of it. I connected to that feeling..that need for something more. That ache. That emptiness. I remember understanding how that emptiness could be filled by someone else, anyone else, anyone besides yourself. That book, when I remember it, I remember being lonely.

It was the first book I ever claimed as a favorite. The books I had read before then, even Harry Potter, they had all been okay. Decent, enjoyable, but I liked them all equally. Nothing quite captured my heart. Not until Eggs came along.

It's odd, to think about twelve-year-old you's favorite book when you're twenty years old. I've read countless books since then, many of which I've enjoyed much more, many of which changed my life and the way I view the world. But when I think about writing my own book, and what I want my story to be, the first thing I always think of is this book.

I want it to be simple. I want it to be ordinary. I want it, I guess, to be authentic. To be so...people-driven, as Eggs is, that anybody can relate to it. Because that's what life is, people-driven. Your entire life is shaped by the people in and out of your life, and how you react to them. How you, yourself, are as a person. And I want my book to be so fundamentally authentic that it speaks to people just like Eggs spoke to me. I hope it speaks to them in a way they can't quite pin down, they can't quite name or describe, but they feel it all the same. I want my book to be a book someone thinks back on five, ten years after they've read it. I want it to mean something.

I want it to mean something, even if nobody quite understands it. I want it to mean something, and I want it to hurt. I want it to matter. I want it to have purpose. I want it to be a reflection of not only who I am, but the growth that I've achieved. I want it to be common, and ordinary, and relatable, and in a lot of ways, as it is to me, I want it to be like an old friend. I want it to be like coming home.

I want it to mean something.

Mon May 27, 2019 5:12 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SOME SUPER SERIOUS BUSINESS

Written by LordWolf < PM: >

Mon May 27, 2019 5:14 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

Review Rampage

Do you like competitions? Do you like easy ways to make extra points? Then read on!

The #ReviewRampage is a competition hosted by @ShadowVyper and @Kirkiln that is a Go-At-Your-Own-Pace review challenge. You set your own review goals and wagers, then race against time to see if you can get done in time. Or, for the more competitive spirits out there, you can also duel against your fellow Rampagers.

Go check out the Q&A Forum for more information and then head on over to the Entry Forum to claim your place as a Rampager.

Get your Rampage on!

~~~

Want to be a part of Squills, the YWS newsletter? Perfect! We want you. You can find more information here, and you can apply now by sending a sample article to SquillsBot's PM.

~~~

fishsashimi welcomes you to the YWS Hunger Games Simulator! Have some fun and win some prizes! PM @fishsashimi with any questions you may have.

~~~

Notice to All Knights of the Green Room

Due to extra paper-work from building permits, the Great Hall is closed until Main Challenge Four: Restoring the Library Tower is completed - please help us complete the challenge by clearing the rubble. To participate Knights can submit Green Room reviews to fellow Knights and bring the links to the Main Challenge Thread. Help us finish this challenge and re-open the Great Hall!

For questions please contact LordWolf (Captain of the Guard) or Knight alliyah (Court Magician).

For complaints regarding construction noise or inconveniences please contact a nearby Office Squire.

- The Commander

~~~

Do YOU want to join
the Knights of the Green Room?

The Knights of the Green Room are looking for some new recruits!

If you enjoy reviewing this may be the group for you!

For more information: KotGR Information
To declare you interest: Declare in the Great Hall .
If you have questions: Send a PM to Captain of the Guard Jack (@LordWolf) or Knight Alliyah (@alliyah).

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Mon May 27, 2019 5:14 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find an enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!
Spoiler! :

@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@Love@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @ChildOfNowhere • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @Gardevite@cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow@Willard@ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops@Ventomology@Evander@WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend • @RoseAndThorn • @Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona@vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Kirkiln • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm@BrumalHunter@Arcticus • @Wolfical • @Pamplemousse@Sassafras@gia2505 • @BiscuitsLeGuin • @SkyeWalker@Noelle@elysian • @Tortwag • @kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria@AdmiralKat@Clickduncake • @yellow • @Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback •@Querencia • @BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity • @BlueAfrica • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings • @Ithaca • @TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123 • @Magestorrow • @Mea@klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug@Sevro@DragonWriter22@RippleGylf@amelie@Morrigun@Megrim • @outvaders • @inktopus@OreosAreLife@Saruka@rosette@PastelSlushie@Strident@darklady@Jashael@TheBlueCat • @Thundahguy • @ZeldaIsShiek • @Lives4Christ24@manilla@Danni88@Elinor@fishsashimi@TheWeirdoFromBeyond • @GodHatesShane • @shaniac@neptune@Storybraniac@WritingPrincess • @Traves • @JosephHGeorge@Amabilia@Fantascifi66@paperforest@alliyah

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.
— Ann Landers