Young Writers Society

Home » Storybooks Main » Storybooks » Double-Trouble Writing Huddle, The

Grimmore: Kindred Spirits

400 Reviews

Reviews: 400
Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:08 pm
Saen says...

Grimmore: Kindred Spirits

Cornyx Blackthorne has a secret. Not the kind of secret you only tell your best friend - no, this is a whopper of a secret, the kind that no one knows and he really wishes he didn't, either. He's not what everyone else he knows is but he's not even sure what that means. The only thing he's sure about is that he's got a lust for blood and a craving of the human soul. So instead of trying to keep it and trying to live out a normal life in one place he decided to start moving. To leave it behind, to start again, to keep going so that he doesn't have to be so afraid. Then the streets began to change and what was once a beautiful summer sky filled with clouds, and before he knew it he was somewhere he'd never been until that moment.

Darunia Vain has a problem. For the past few decades, she's been stuck serving this one woman she absolutely cannot stand. If Darunia Vain was any other person, she would have simply packed up her few belongings and booked it out of the obscure city. But that's not exactly an easy task for her; she's a demon, and the woman in question is her summoner. She dreams of escaping her contract and getting somewhere far, far away from the city and the woman who have betrayed her. But even though her future looks bleak, she's not going to let that bring her down. She'll find the best in every little moment, despite being stuck in the same old town.

When Darunia is sent to investigate the source of a strange new aura, she doesn't expect to run into the seemingly normal Cornyx. But as an unlikely friendship is forged between the two of them, they begin to learn more about each other - and the city that houses more dark secrets than either could ever imagine.
"Once again, you ruined my story with angst." -Sheyren

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:18 pm
View Likes
FalconerGal9086 says...

Cornyx Blackthorne

The steady ticking of a pocket watch moves in time with footsteps, shiny black shoes on the hard stone of streets. He looks out of place here - but, then again, so does he everywhere else. People don't usually dress so formally as him with a gray vest and slacks, even a black tie. He's not sure where he's going anymore. Then again, was he ever sure where he walked to? Maybe he'd only really ever thought about what he was running from.

He gazed up at the tall buildings around him as he stepped in through the gates on a cobbled street. This wasn't a normal city, not in any sense of the word. He'd never seen such a place. It looked like it came out of a book. The structures were made mostly of brick and stone and covered in thin soot and dust. The sky was dark with ashen clouds, casting a miasma over the bustling, if oddly quiet, city. A part of him wondered if he should turn around and go right back to Maryland where he had some kind of understanding of what things meant, but curiousity and instinct drew him onwards, placing one foot in front of another on the clattering cobbled streets.

Welcome to Grimmore, a sign read off to his right, hanging on the brick of some industrial building with pollution coming out the top. That must have been the name of the city. He'd never heard of it before. Granted, he'd been either in an orphanage or prison for most of his life, so it wasn't as though he had much access to the outside world, but he was fairly certain that a town so out of place as this would be considered of some importance or magnititude and it was odd he'd never caught wind of such a place on his travels.

He sighed and glanced down at his watch. 11:22 in the morning. It was a Sunday, too; he should at least make sure he stopped by the church that day, even if he missed mast.
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." - Ernest Hemmingway

"A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit." - Richard Bach

400 Reviews

Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:17 pm
View Likes
Saen says...

Darunia Vain

She's been staring at the wall across for her for nearly an hour, counting each and every imperfection she can find. A little crack there. A little paint chip here. She still hasn't counted them all, though she knows she's almost done. The church has been falling into disrepair for years; everyone is just far too blind to see it. She has little need for the church herself, but there's something sad about such an important building in the city being treated the way that it is.

Just as she finishes her task, the door to the church's main office opens. The city's mayor slips out through it and gives her a look. It's hard to tell what exactly the look is supposed to be. Maybe one of distaste, or one of pity. And maybe there's nothing to the look, just a blank stare that indicates the church behind her is more important than her. Her golden eyes flash for a quick second, and she draws her lips up to reveal a pair of sharp incisors. No response. He knows the truth about her - has since they met years upon years ago - but there should have been some sort of reaction.

She sighs and gets to her feet. Who is she kidding? She hasn't gotten a good reaction out of him or his wife in a long time. She walks past him, shoulders momentarily brushing against each other and he heads away from the office and she heads into it.

"There's a strange demonic energy in this city, and I want you to investigate it," she says, and Darunia immediately perks up because it's been so long since she's gotten to meet someone like her. "It has just entered the town, and is currently heading in the direction of the church. Acquire its powers through any means necessary."

She opens her mouth to argue that it's not exactly easy to take magic away from a demon, but she's cut off before she can even get the first word out.

"Do not fail me."

"I won't," she says, rolling her eyes. "You do realize you say that every time you give me a new job, right? It's honestly a bit tiring and definitely more than a little cliche-"

"Go,"

She holds her hands up in mock surrender. "I'm going, I'm going!" Giving the office one last look, she turns around and begins her search for the mysterious demonic aura.

107 Reviews

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:18 pm
View Likes
FalconerGal9086 says...

Cornyx Blackthorne

He wandered through the streets, gazing up at the tall structures surrounding him. It's almost vintage in style, and seemingly old, with gargoyles lining the tops of the larger, more prominent buildings. Electric lights buzz and glow in a yellowed hue, not like the LEDs he most commonly saw nowadays.

The most peculiar thing about this place was the lack of automobiles. Not that they weren't completely absent, but they seemed to be uncommon - streets were filled with people walking on foot and the only occasional rickety car came through.

Despite the city's oddities the church looked as most do, if considerably more elegant and large. The stained glass was mostly in amber and gold tones as opposed to the more vibrant jewel-tones he was used to, but it was equally beautiful. It towered above most of the other buildings and so only took him about ten minutes to locate it before he started off in that direction.

His mind wandered as he slipped into the backstreets where things were quieter. The watch continued ticking onwards in his pocket, steadily counting every second wasted on his travel. And, of course, in such a time was when Evelyn found her way back into his thoughts. Her smile, the glint in her eyes, her soft touch.

He sighed. He missed her. But what use was thinking of it now? He could feel the Wrath in him already beginning to try to push its way out, the gunshot ringing in his ears from that fateful day.

No. He pushed it back and tried to focus himself on where he was going, on putting one foot in front of the other, on anything but the frost creeping across the stones beneath his feet.
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." - Ernest Hemmingway

400 Reviews

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:11 am
View Likes
Saen says...

Darunia Vain

As she turns out into the street, she starts to hum a cheerful little tune. There's no need to blend in with the crowd. She's known everyone in the city for years, even though they're convinced she's just an incredibly devout member of the church. Some even greet her as she passes. That sort of attention's probably the only thing she likes about this place, but it'll never be enough to convince her into staying when her time with the church is done.

Assuming that'll ever happen.

She sighs and tries to think of other things. She just needs to find herself a demon. Simple as that. Being inside the church and finding the source of that aura was hard to do, but the street is different. It's open, and it's not drenched in the suffocating aura of all that magic she does. So she stands there for a minute or two, letting every individual aura bombard her as she tries to sort them all out.

The source of the aura is surprisingly close. Whoever it belongs to has taken to wandering the streets around the church - specifically, the backstreets. A fitting place for a mysterious new visitor to the city. Slipping her hands into her pockets, she follows the aura down the winding roads and dark back alleys. She makes sure to keep her pace quick; she has to make up for the ground the source has already covered.

And then she stops.

There, in the very end of the alley she's in, is the source of the aura. There's no sign that points it out, but that's just how things work. She knows that the man back there is the only one who could be responsible for it. "Hey!" she shouts. "Tall, dark and mysterious! I need to talk to you!"

107 Reviews

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:36 pm
FalconerGal9086 says...

Cornyx Blackthorne

Cornyx looked up with surprise as he realized he was being addressed by a purple haired, golden-eyed young woman striding towards him with a purpose.

"Yes, madame? H-how may I help you?" he inquired, frowning a little at his own stutter but being very cordial and polite.

"Well," the woman said, giving him a grin that showed off a sharp set of incisors, "I'm looking for a demon. A demon, who, if I'm right, is standing right in front of me."

His first reaction was one of surprise to her attitude of demons - he'd never met someone that believed they were real, much less sought one out - and his second was slight bafflement about what she meant by 'standing right in front of me.' "I-I'm sorry, you're looking for a demon?"

"Yeah, that's what I said. God, you're just as oblivious as she can be sometimes," she answered. Keeping her hands in the pockets of her jacket, she gave a slight shrug. "I don't know why you're feigning surprise. You're a demon. I'm a demon. Simple as that."

Well, it would explain a lot - the urge to feed, the unnaturally keen senses, the instinct that was usually stronger than he was, even the general discomfort he felt on consecrated ground. However, he wasn't a young man of particular superstition and so being approached by a fanged woman in a very strange town and then being casually informed that he was demonic was all a little bit shocking to him, and so, instead of managing to get out a coherent sentence, he could only pull off some sounds that were so severely broken with stuttering they were utterly impossible to decipher.

400 Reviews

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:43 pm
Saen says...

Darunia Vain

She gapes at him. "Oh. You didn't know, did you? Shit. This is going way worse than I thought it would." She crosses her arms and starts to pace back and forth across the alleyway, occasionally glancing over at him. This is the exact opposite of what she had been hoping to find. It's become more than just chatting with one of her kind; now she has to teach the poor guy what being a demon is all about. "Alright, I already told you're a demon. So I got that covered. Other things? That's a little hard, since I have no idea what kind of demon you are. Just whatever you do, don't trust super sweet humans enough into letting them make a contract with you. And if you're somehow stupid enough to, just make sure your human doesn't get too close to magically corrupt artifacts."

The man adjusts his glasses, something she suspects is because he's nervous about this whole situation. He closes his mouth and takes a breath. Poor guy. "I'm sorry, miss, I...was previously unaware of, um, m-m-m-my lineage. I'll definitely remember to take note of your advice," he finishes, smiling politely but still honestly in shock.

Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
— Mark Twain