Young Writers Society

Radio Plays/Other Script Formats

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:56 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I've always found radio plays to such an interesting way to tell stories. Of course they kind of died out when TV became widespread in the late 40s and early 50s, but now with podcasts being as big as they are (I'm definitely an addict) I think it's a perfect time to bring them back and/or explore telling stories in this format.

When we write prose or poetry, we're using our words to tell the story we want to tell. With movies, we use visuals. And with radio, we use sounds.

Did anyone study any in school? Do you guys have any favorites? Do you think radio dramas are a cool format?

My favorite is The Hitchhiker, which was later adapted into an episode of The Twilight Zone. And of course, there's The War of the Worlds.

I'd love to hear what you guys think!

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:39 am
View Likes
Steggy says...

In my Mass Media class, we listened and studied to both War of the Worlds and the Shadow, which both are my personal favorites. I think with radio format you are able to imagine what is happening without actually seeing it played out in front of you, like thinking what the character would look like just by listening to their voice, and I do think it sparked some form of imagination in people who listened to it.
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:37 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

I also listened to War of the Worlds and The Shadow in one of my classes.

That Orson Welles, he's really something. ;) He and Morgan Freeman both have the best voices, I think.

And I agree with that you said about being able to spark imagination. That's not something I'd necessarily thought about before.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

Everything in the universe has a rhythm, everything dances.
— Maya Angelou