Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Resources » Writers Corner

Hell or High Water

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:51 am
scribbleinks says...

This is a thread for me (and anyone else who is interested) to talk about one of my current projects I'm sharing with YWS called (temporarily), Hell or High Water.

Note: Anything with a * next to it contains spoilers (the actual clickable spoilers are simply for organisation)

Current (working) synopsis:

Spoiler! :
After losing her father to a pirate known as the Mask, Star abandons her home and kingdom in a bittersweet journey to find him over the sea. She sails all over the islands, searching for any trace of him, but nothing has revealed anything of significance. Now, it's two years after she first began her hunt, when the merchant ship Star found passage on is attacked - by pirates.

Star is taken prisoner under a pirate called the Ghost Captain Maeve, and by some fate's choice, she ends up joining a misfit, diverse crew of pirates with people of all shapes and sizes, with a captain, who isn't that same cutthroat the stories painted her as. Star soon realises that nobody is who she thought they were, including herself, and when blood comes back for blood, Star must chose between her family, and finds that even those she loves can betray her.

Chapters
Prologue
Chapter I [Seeker]
Chapter II [Under Siege]
Chapter III [On the Wings of a Pegasus] [pt.1] - [pt.2] - [pt.3]
Chapter IV [Fever Dreams] [pt.1] - [pt.2] - [pt.3]
Chapter V [Charter] [pt.1] - [pt.2] - [pt.3]
Chapter VI [Hurricane] [pt.1] - [pt.2] - [pt.3]
Chapter VII [The Ghost Captain]
Chapter VIII [Second Star]

Characters:
Spoiler! :
Liadan 'Star' Doran: Star is the main protagonist of High or Hell Water. She is the daughter of Crown Princess Emeria Doran and Prince Charles 'Kian' Foley and half-sister of Prince Hawkin 'Hal'. Star was born a leader and has always been responsible. While she is a benevolent and kind princess, Star inherited both her parents' stubbornness, her father's love of danger and her mother's insubordination issues. Star is very close to her whole family, but wary of outsiders. It is said she is somewhat naive, but Star only wants to do right by her kingdom, even if she is very bad at showing it. Star seeks knowledge and tries hard to grow into a good leader, through all it's trial and error, but fears one day having to rule despite her outward confidence. Star is about 5'8" with tawny, tanned skin from daily sun exposure, dark (unspecified) 'wavy' hair and blue eyes. 'Seeker'
// update on 11/22/17 Allana 'Star' Doran

Alejandra Schwangau: Alejandra is a woman that Star befriends on the merchant ship, and the two end up as close friends. She is headstrong, kind and not afraid to stand up for herself or others. Before the journey with Star, Alejandra had sailed on a ship before, and but claims this voyage is 'more than she thought it would be'. Alejandra is also seen to be somewhat quick to anger, though she says to be working on reigning in her temper. Alejandra has mahogany skin with what Star calls 'onyx eyes' and soft, straight black hair that she enjoys playing with. 'Supporter'

'Ghost Captain' Maeve Lochlainn: Maeve is the captain of the ship called the Pegasus, and supposedly one of the most dangerous pirates to sail the sea. Maeve is known for her bloodthristy nature, and is said to care little for the lives of others, though she is said to prefer to kill quickly over torture. Maeve is the only female pirate captain on the seas, and for it she is greatly ridiculed. Star's first impression of her is that she is that she is cold, rude and exactly as the stories make her out to be. Later, Star grudgingly admits that Maeve is honorable and cares greatly for her crew, though she struggles to show her affection. Maeve has stands at about 5'6" taupe skin, short, almost black red-brown hair in an abundance of curls, and has dark chocolate eyes. Star mentions she has an accent, but it is never specified what kind. 'Guardian'

MAEVE'S CREW

Kassidy Lochlainn: Kassidy is the first mate and younger brother of Maeve. As Star witnessed him kill one of the merchant ship's crew, she is shown to 'extremely dislike' him at first. Star notes, after she has talked with him on many occasions, that he is the opposite of his sister. Kassidy is charismatic and open, with a sarcastic, witty sense of humour. When speaking with her, Kassidy is frequently known to annoy his sister, and while he is loyal to her so much that he would swim the entire sea for her, Kassidy isn't afraid to speak up when he knows she's wrong. Kassidy has the same taupe skin and dark hair as his sister, but his eyes are dark ocean-green and he stand at about 5'11". 'Translator'

Gunnarr: The Pegasus' Chief Engineer. Gunnarr is shown to be gruff, blunt and hulking, a follower of Maeve's word, both loyal and duty/honour-bound. Star later remarks that he is quiet and mostly docile, and in fact very protective of those he cares for. Star notes quite early on that Gunnarr has a very similar accent and bearing to most of the men from her father's crew. Gunnarr is tall, strong and looks to be intimidating and aggressive. He has many tattoos and frequently wears a navy bandanna. He has dark hair and brown eyes. 'Loyalist'

Cyrano:

Haydan:

Krystal: Krystal is a young sailor aboard the Pegasus. Krystal comes across as shy, quiet and fearful at first, but seems loyal enough to Maeve. When Star arrives, she is shown to have started working in the kitchens, doubling her work from lookout (night shift) to the cook's 'help'. It is hinted quite early on that she is involved with something that happened with Cyrano, Lacey and Maeron (Haydan is also suggested to have been part of this). She has almost silver blonde hair with 'very striking' pale blue eyes.

Argi: Argi is the youngest sibling of Kemen and (half)Naia, and a cabin boy aboard the Pegasus. He is said to have a very youthful look to him, but in fact is almost Star's age. He appears quiet, jittery and anxious and Star thinks it's very odd he is aboard a pirate ship with these qualities. He is said to have 'ink stains' on his fingers, and it is later revealed he has a fierce passion for art. Argi is very obedient, but also has a more wild side. He has an odd alliance with Gunnarr. Argi is somewhat small, with ginger hair and clay coloured skin. He has dark brown eyes. 'Artist'

Kemen: Kemen is the oldest sibling of (half)Naia and Argi. He is the Medical Purser aboard the Pegasus. He treats Star when she gets an infection from a splinter, and it the first to start revealing that something is wrong on the Pegasus. He is very protective of his siblings, and even those he cares about. He is remarkably fussy and mother hen-ish, which may contribute to his position (as a healer and a brother). Star notes he seems to dislike Gunnarr a great deal. He is similar in appearance to Argi, with lighter golder (turning silver).

Naia:

Maeron:

Lacey:

Javiera:

Máire:

Gareth:

to be added

THE ROYAL FAMILY OF KINGDOM DORAN (Star's family)

Maura 'Mai' Doran:

Nolan Peter Doran:

Emeria 'Em' Doran: Emeria is the Crown Princess of the Kingdom Doran, eldest daughter of the Maura and Nolan, mother to Hal and Star and the wife of Charles. Emeria is known to be fair, just and beautiful. One of the people's sweethearts, Emeria isn't the perfect angel she is made out to be. She is stubborn, can be difficult, has trust issues and will isolate herself if too much is happening and she needs the time to process it. Still, she loves and cares deeply, and for this she is easily hurt. Emeria is strong and endures this, however, though it has previously caused issues. She is fiercely protective of her Kingdom, and most especially her family, and can be light-hearted a silly when she's feeling good. She is fair-skinned, with long blonde hair and sea green eyes.

Charles 'Kian' Foley:

Reina Doran:

Hawkin 'Hal' Doran: Hal is Star's older half-brother. The two are extremely close and when one has a secret to tell, it will most likely go to the other. Hal is similar to Star as in he also inherited his mother's stubbornness, but Hal is much gentler then Star and typically is the more optimistic of the two. They are described as the 'Gold and Silver' of the Doran's Kingdom, and though they are both independent, they work in close harmony and when there is a problem to be solved, the two usually figure it out best if they put their minds together. Hal is smart and kind, and from his father, always sees the best in people. He is charismatic in a way that appeals to the softer, more sensitive human feelings. Hal is 5'10", lean and has fair skin. His hair is chestnut brown and his eyes are hazel-green.
//update 11/22/17 for Holden Doran

WIP

MINOR CHARACTERS

Brogan Clacher: Chief engineer of the Vengeance of Love. Was guarding Star the night her father was taken, and saved Star's life by taking her away from the Mask. Brogan is seen as a more reserved, but caring man who was dedicated to protecting Star. Used to be a pirate before Charles married Emeria. A large and broad, though short man, with wiry ginger curls and dark steely brown eyes.

Peter Donnelly: First mate to Charles on the Vengeance. Peter helped to save Star the night Charles was taken by the Mask. Peter is seen as somewhat tempered and harsh, but holds Charles in high respect and therefore likes Star, though he doesn't outwardly say this. He takes more extreme measures in high-stress situations, that while effective, often earn him the wrath of other. Peter, along with the rest of the crew, used to be a pirate before Charles married Emeria. Peter is a tall, stocky man with a mess of dirty blond hair.

Paskal Paisi: Captain of the Boomerang. Star and him are shown to dislike each other, and though he threatens Star on numerous occasions, Star mentions that she 'isn't intimidated by him' and doubts he would act out any punishment towards her. She views him as a harmless coward. Paisi is short, squat man who Star towers over, with a head of patchy, wiry brown hair, a hooked nose and beady eyes.

*Andrian Sarac: Quartermaster of the Boomerang. Andrian is much less hostile to Star and the two do not openly dislike each other. Star views him as 'guilty by association', thinking him also a coward, but still does not dislike the man. He obviously feels guilty for his crew members' behaviour and apologises to Star before he dies.

*Victor Vandalov: Navigator of the Boomerang. Aboard the ship, Vandalov is the most openly hostile, and he and Star both despise each other. Star claims it is because he 'cannot do his job' as a navigator, which offends her personally (as she is skilled at navigation). In 'Under Siege', he fails to recognise the 'Sailing Master' title and causes Star to become angry with him, as it is his own position, hinting that Vandalov truly isn't a very qualified navigator. Vandalov is a lanky man, and easily overpowered by Star in their first confrontation. He has slicked back, greying brown hair and dull brown eyes.

Gabriel Sala: First Mate of the Boomerang. Gabriel does not make many appearances and it is not specified whether Star and him hold a grudge against each other or not. Star only mentions later that the 'first mate was not an impressive man, though not the worst of the bunch'.

Peio: Peio is a young powder monkey that Star runs into in Seeker. Star remarks that he is young to be sailing and Peio merely says that he doesn't really know what else to do, so he works on ships. Star lends him money, and the two genuinely like each other. Peio is a soft-spoken, nervous boy, but sweet and trusting. He is about 5'6", not visibly strong and has a baby face with ashen brown hair. His eyes are a gentle brown.

Liam Foley:

Patrick Foley:

Conleth 'Cole' Keen:

Aidan 'Ace' Löwe:

Major Constellations, Stars and Lunar Charts:
Spoiler! :
major wip

CONSTELLATIONS

Dracon:

STARS

Aquilian Star:

The Islands and the Kingdoms:
Spoiler! :
To Be Added

Other Works
Spoiler! :
Hell to Pay: The story of a family and an artist called Clara
Heavy is the Heart: Star's second installment
???: The adventures of a florist and the boy who drags him along

THIS PAGE IS A WIP. All information is subject to change as I add/edit all the sections.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you have, leave any pointers or anything else you'd like to add! <3
Last edited by scribbleinks on Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:22 am, edited 29 times in total.
"I'm angry at what you did, but..."
"...you understand why I did it?"
"No. I've never done anything that stupid before."

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:05 pm
Tenyo says...

Great title!
We were born to be amazing.

25 Reviews

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:01 pm
scribbleinks says...

Thank you! I've been struggling for a long time over the title for this one, nothing seemed right, but so far, I'm happy with this one :)

25 Reviews

Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:49 am
scribbleinks says...

Chapter system has been updated to fit posting chapters in multiple parts.

25 Reviews

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:46 am
scribbleinks says...

Futzing around with different update systems.

Chapter Four is finished with 6186 words and will be split into three parts. I find the splitting is starting to get awkward, since the chapters are written as a whole piece and not separate parts. *shrugs* Not much I can do about it the way I'm writing it.

Possible additions to main post:
-The Flags of the different Kingdoms (and the flags in general)
-Character Accents (?)
-Deities

25 Reviews

Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:59 am
scribbleinks says...

Chapter Five (Charter) is posted with one last part to go. The splitting is really uneven in the chapter, and the second part will be confusing to new readers.

Kind of a filler, but necessary to introduce more characters and aspects of the ship. Having so many characters in such a small place is difficult and though I can easily keep track of them all, I feel as though it might be overwhelming (especially to any of those who have not read previous parts). I am happy with how it came out, however, but I'm really hyped for the next chapter.

I must say that I'm really excited by the reviews I've been getting and that people have started picking up on some of the hints I've been dropping :)

Half of Chapter Six (Hurricane) is done, but I don't know when I'll get around to posting the next parts. I've already told myself I'd do more reviews before posting and I just got a new job so I'll be busy.

Alejandra and Star WILL be getting a chapter where they interact more. Star isn't going to abandon her (even though it may appear so in some chapters and I apologise for it...Alejandra is her own independent woman)

25 Reviews

Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:41 am
scribbleinks says...

Chapter Five (Charter) is posted :D

We have some hinting and foreshadowing in this chapter ;D There are a few parts where describing how Star feels kind of felt stilted to me, but I've read the chapter now so many times it MIGHT just be me. I like this chapter regardless, and it was necessary (I promise)

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:36 am
CarryOnMrCaulfield says...

Isn't this the name of a film that was released really recently?

25 Reviews

Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:18 am
scribbleinks says...

I guess so? I just looked it up after you mentioned it and yeah, I suppose it is. I had never heard of it before.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:32 pm
CarryOnMrCaulfield says...

Good title for a book/movie, but you should probably change the name. Maybe just to "High Water".

25 Reviews

Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:07 am
View Likes
scribbleinks says...

Hell or High Water has been a placeholder name for a while, and I still haven't decided whether I'll keep it or used a different one. If I was changing it, it'd be something different because it was intentionally directed at the meaning of the phrase 'Hell or High Water', and High Water just wouldn't have the same meaning? I hope that makes sense.

I'm not too concerned about titles right now, so I have plenty of time to ponder over it. I also have a list of other names, but like I said, I needed something other than 'that pirate story I'm working on' :)

Love is so short, forgetting is so long.
— Pablo Neruda